PDA

View Full Version : A few questions/problems about my new ibook.

GLADmaster
Sep 7, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hi friends,
New switcher. I have just received my new Ibook yesterday and played with it for a while. I am still getting used to it, but I have to say: I love it!!!

Now I have a few questions and would like you guys' advices:

1. Keyboard hard to release. Is the keyboard supposed to be released easily upon releasing the two buttons on the keyboard? I tried an old Powerbook of my friend and it went off easily, but mine seems very tough. I noticed there is a screw beside the num-lock botton to lock the keyboard from easily opened, but it is not the reason for my case. It just seems too tight to open. I will add more RAM for it soon, so I have to open the keyboard. Have any of you had this problem before? What shall I do to replace the keyboard?

2. about memory: DDR266 or DDR333 ??? Did anyone notice the contridiction?
On Apple's website, it says: "Standard memory on iBook is 512MB of DDR333 SDRAM built-in." While on its manual (comes with my ibook, I think it is updated), it says: "Note: Your computer processes data at the speed of PC2100 DDR 266 Type RAM. You can install PC2400 DDR 333 Type RAM, but your iBook will run at the lower speed." Is Apple fulling me? I can' t get to know the type of RAM from the system profile, and I don't want either to open the case to check it. Any comments??

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

wordmunger
Sep 7, 2005, 04:58 PM
I can answer your first question -- I think. Yes, the keyboard is hard to release. You may need to apply some pressure to do it, and make sure the center release is unlatched. The top of the keyboard lifts out first, rotating upward towards you. It's tougher than you think, so give it a shot.

GLADmaster
Sep 7, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks. I am sure the center release was unlatched when I tried to open it, but it is still tough to release. I worried appling too much force would damage the keyboard. (And i need to open it probably more than once, say replacing the RAMs or cleaning inside and such.) Could I and is is worth to ask for a replacement? Is it a common thing for other Mac rumors? If yes, I probably have to take it. Thanks.

I can answer your first question -- I think. Yes, the keyboard is hard to release. You may need to apply some pressure to do it, and make sure the center release is unlatched. The top of the keyboard lifts out first, rotating upward towards you. It's tougher than you think, so give it a shot.