PDA

View Full Version : Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/google-search-app-brings-siri-competitor-to-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/googlesearch.pngGoogle has given its iOS app a new search feature that squares it directly at Apple's Siri. Google even calls it the "most advanced voice search" on iOS. Google gives a number of examples (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/googles-most-advanced-voice-search-has.html) of how the service can be used. - "What does Yankee Stadium look like?" Google will show you hundreds of pictures instantly.

- "Play me a trailer of the upcoming James Bond movie." The trailer starts playing immediately right within Google Search.

- "When does daylight savings time end?" The answer will appear above the search results, so you can set your clock without having to click on a link.

- "Who's in the cast of The Office?" See a complete cast list and find out who made you crack up last night.n2ZUSPecPRk
The service feels notably faster than Siri, recognizing words as they are spoken rather than all at once in the end. It even works on devices that aren't supported by Siri. One commenter (http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4719201) on Hacker News confirms that the voice search works on his iPhone 4.

Google Search for iOS is available free (http://appshopper.com/reference/google-mobile-app) on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://appshopper.com/reference/google-mobile-app)]

Article Link: Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/google-search-app-brings-siri-competitor-to-iphone/)

timshundo
Oct 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
As a heavy Siri user, I've been using Google's voice search all day and I'm pretty impressed. I've always defended Siri but this blows it out of the water for simpler requests (not maps/reminder/alarm/etc related).

clukas
This will make many iOS users happy who don't have SIRI on their iPhone such as myself!

KieranDotW
So almost Google Now? So basically, whenever a fandroid says iOS and Siri are inferior and Google Now is so much better, you can remind them that we iOS users now have the best of both worlds.

fodawim
Oct 30, 2012, 05:12 PM
Love the Easter eggs "sing me a song" results in you having a number of songs being sing to you (I count 5 at least).

So almost Google Now? So basically, whenever a fandroid says iOS and Siri are inferior and Google Now is so much better, you can remind them that we iOS users now have the best of both worlds.
Google now is the card system, this is simply voice search, google now is what gives you the card based suggestions.

chuckd83
Oct 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
"Is Google Search better than Siri?"

richmds
Oct 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
Interesting that they choice a very very similar female voice.
I am still waiting for a English sounding Jeeves or Alfred from Batman.

east85
Oct 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm off to download it right now, this is awesome. :D

Technarchy
It works well but it isn't a Siri competitor. There is some overlap, but Siri does some things Google search does not.

Anki
Um, yeah, no.

yearofthe
Anyone else notice that the only voice searching tool on the YouTube app on iPad 2 is the one Google made? I wonder if Apple noticed that? Huh..

MasterHowl
Oct 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Awkward moment when it's available on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, when Siri isn't...

SamGabbay
Oct 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Long live Siri!

NOV
Oct 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
This will make many iOS users happy who don't have SIRI on their iPhone such as myself!

Which is a bloody shame BTW...

sshhoott
Oct 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
Take that Forstall for not giving iphone 4 Siri!

Sixtafoua
Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
probably not the best time of year to schedule a beach trip to cape cod...

AR999
Oct 30, 2012, 05:17 PM
It works well but it isn't a Siri competitor. There is some overlap, but Siri does some things Google search does not.

And visa versa, in what world is it not a competitor though?

bushido
Oct 30, 2012, 05:19 PM
finally a voice that doesnt sound like an angry ex wife and its MULTILINGUAL. I can finally do the most obvs thing and speak english words to my german setting

BC2009
Oct 30, 2012, 05:20 PM
Google achieves this performance by incorporating "Google Instant" with "Voice Search". They interpret the words as you say them and then start the search before you finish your sentence.

Siri would have to do the same to compete on performance. However, Siri has multiple providers to consider whereas Google only has themselves. Nice work Google.

Problem is that I don't see myself using this much. Siri is only useful to me from the lock screen most of the time. If I am already in my phone typing then I don't use Siri. To get to an app in the phone I could just start typing or hit the app that I want. I use Siri to check a quick score or to set a quick reminder or to quickly ask about a movie. I would need access to this app from the lock screen to make useful in that regard.

buddybd
Holy **** this app works beautifully, recognition is far better than Siri. Not that I'll be using it more than I do Siri, but it's cool knowing this is going somewhere.

Beautifully done Google.

Unggoy Murderer
I find it extremely amusing to see that Google produces higher quality Apps for iOS than it does for its own Android platform.

Badandy
Oct 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
Good. Maybe this will force Apple to actually improve Siri and add features instead of just waiting until some arbitrary iOS release date.

Technarchy

Siri is not just a search tool.

How many of these things can Google Search do?

http://jaygoldman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/siri-list.png

rorschach
It's MUCH faster than Siri for looking up info from Internet (movie times, sports, maps, etc).

Of course, it's limited because it's not integrated into the OS. Still, hopefully they'll add things like adding calendar events to Google Calendar and maybe Gmail functions.

WhoDaKat
Oct 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm a huge fanboy, but damn the response times were impressive. Siri has never been a slouch for me, and does a bit better recognizing my voice but my biggest complaint is that is is a bit slow. (Sometimes its crazy slow, but usually its not bad). But Google search is lightning fast! We'll see how that holds up over the next few days.

xionxiox

In a world where it can't set alarm clocks, reminders, GPS nav, play music, open apps, etc. :o

AR999

Image (http://jaygoldman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/siri-list.png)

That's because apps can't access those functions.

super tomtendo
Is it me or does the google voice thing sound like an Xbox popup bing.

AR999
Oct 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
In a world where it can't set alarm clocks, reminders, GPS nab, play music, open apps, etc. :o

But it can do many other things and thus competes with it.

dlmart2
Oct 30, 2012, 05:24 PM
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.

kenboy127
Oct 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
Siri will need to play catchup regarding speed and word by word transcription. Otherwise, this isn't a real Siri competitor since it isn't baked into iOS. While I'm sure Apple is working on Siri improvements as we speak, this "competition" will ensure faster and better improvements to Siri.

This is great to have on older devices lacking Siri though.

xionxiox
Oct 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
But it can do many other things and thus competes with it.

Try harder. :rolleyes:

saud0488
Oct 30, 2012, 05:27 PM

Better question is how many of those things does Siri actually do well, the first time you say it? Answer is 0.

----------

In a world where it can't set alarm clocks, reminders, GPS nav, play music, open apps, etc. :o

If apple let any other voice assistant access these tasks, you know they'd be a ton better. Since they don't, this does everything else A LOT better than Siri.

zin
Oct 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
The update has finally been released.

xionxiox
Oct 30, 2012, 05:28 PM
Better question is how many of those things does Siri actually do well, the first time you say it? Answer is 0.

Um, no. Usually on the first for me at least.

DavidFongs
I downloaded it, installed it and said 'Send a text to my wife I'll be home soon" and it tried to search the internet for it. I deleted it.

Clearly you people don't fully understand what Siri does if you think this is a competitor.

You are the one who clearly doesn't fully understand the two. You used Google Voice Search to try to text your wife, and got angry that it did a search.

bossxii

While I agree Siri can do some iOS specific things that Google simply cannot access. I terms of speed and performance for anything search related, this app blows Siri out of the water. The speed in which the Google app translates, and how accurate it is vs Siri in it's speech recognition is very, very good.

I'm an Apple fan all the way but this Google app imo is very good, and for me, more useful than Siri as many of the Siri specific functions I don't use daily, however I do use various search methods multiple times per day. This Google app will be my goto app for those types of searches.

AR999
Try harder. :rolleyes:

What?

unobtainium

That's only because Google doesn't have access to the phone's settings, as Siri does. In every way, it's a better, faster voice interpreter. Google Search is phenomenal, I have to say that I'm worried about this little competition Apple has gotten itself into...they should allow Google to do what they do best (information and search), and Apple should focus on the things they do best (simple, beautiful software and amazing hardware design).

Apple is simply not going to win when it comes to information/maps and search. Not a chance.

saud0488
Oct 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Just downloaded it. For any of you thinking Siri is better, quit drinking the kool aid and download it. We all know you haven't yet.

OllyW
Oct 30, 2012, 05:31 PM

Exactly the same amount on my iPhone 4. ;)

It's a quick way of inputting a destination by clicking the result to open the old map app in iOS 5. :)

xionxiox
Oct 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
What?

You give no compelling reasons, thus try harder to sell google's ****** :D

Dr McKay
Oct 30, 2012, 05:32 PM

Google Now on Android devices can do all of those things. This is a gimped port to iPhone because it cannot access things outside of the app.

unobtainium
Oct 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
Side-by-side comparison from Gizmodo (for those too stubborn to try it for themselves):

http://updates.gizmodo.com/post/34656322615/google-voice-search-vs-siri-whos-the-best-iphone

PracticalMac
Oct 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Apple really needs to turn up its heat.

MMOTotal
Just downloaded it. For any of you thinking Siri is better, quit drinking the kool aid and download it. We all know you haven't yet.

I just did. It doesn't do half the stuff I do with Siri.. is there some more options or something ?

saud0488
Um, no. Usually on the first for me at least.

Please, it's a forgone fact that Siri is an embarrassment. It's clunky and can take forever, even on LTE.

Badandy
Oct 30, 2012, 05:34 PM

You can't be serious. Please tell me you aren't serious.

AR999
You give no compelling reasons, thus try harder to sell google's ****** :D

Your calling google now sh.t?

Childish maybe?

unobtainium
I just did. It doesn't do half the stuff I do with Siri.. is there some more options or something ?

Of course it can't, Google doesn't have access to your phone and other apps the way Apple does.

But what's clear is that Google Search is much faster and more accurate at interpreting speech. The difference is very noticeable.

dlmart2
Oct 30, 2012, 05:36 PM

You are the one who clearly doesn't fully understand the two. You used Google Voice Search to try to text your wife, and got angry that it did a search.

Clearly you did not understand what I wrote. Yes its a nice and very fast voice search tool.. it is no Siri competitor as the TITLE of this thread suggest by stating "Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone"

MMOTotal
Oct 30, 2012, 05:36 PM
Of course it can't, Google doesn't have access to your phone and other apps the way Apple does.

But what's clear is that Google Search is much faster and more accurate at interpreting speech. The difference is very noticeable.

No denying that, lets hope Apple further improves Siri.

Westside guy
Oct 30, 2012, 05:37 PM
I find Siri users annoying - but what's the point in having a separate Google search app?

GekkePrutser
Oct 30, 2012, 05:37 PM
Doesn't seem to be available in Ireland on the App Store? Edit: showing up now!

Ps the direct link isn't direct, it also links to app shopper

zin
Oct 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
It's not speaking the answers back to me like in the video.

Seems Apple may have forced them to remove that functionality.

EDIT: I am mistaken. Spoken answers only work for English (US) and not English (UK) or French. I can't confirm if spoken responses work for any other languages, though.

terrapinjess
Oct 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
EVERYONE is saying how it's faster than Siri...

Are you factoring in this?:

Im currently on my home screen, I decide to do a voice search:

Which is quicker?:

I hold down the button, wait for siri to beep and prompt me to start speaking. I speak "I need a mechanic." Siri searches and then results come up.

I'm on my home screen, I tap the google search app, wait for it to open, tap the voice button to start speaking and then I speak "I need a mechanic". etc etc...

I wonder which really IS quicker.

Probably seconds, I do not know.

Siri's open/load time + search time vs. non-native google app opening/loading + tapping voice search button

faroZ06
Oct 30, 2012, 05:40 PM
It's MUCH faster than Siri for looking up info from Internet (movie times, sports, maps, etc).

Of course, it's limited because it's not integrated into the OS. Still, hopefully they'll add things like adding calendar events to Google Calendar and maybe Gmail functions.

Does it send the voice recording to Google servers? The think I really hate about Siri is how it uses a lot of data. It shouldn't even need an internet connection to function.

devilstrider
Oct 30, 2012, 05:42 PM

I can do all but one on my galaxy nexus with google now. Let me fix that. After more testing I can do all those.

----------

Which is quicker?:

I hold down the button, wait for siri to beep and prompt me to start speaking. I speak "I need a mechanic." Siri searches and then results come up.

I'm on my home screen, I tap the google search app, wait for it to open, tap the voice button to start speaking and then I speak "I need a mechanic". etc etc...

Siri's open/load time + search time vs. non-native google app opening/loading taping voice search button.

LOL that's the lamest excuse I have heard in a long time. Man you are pathetic.

unobtainium

Which is quicker?:

Siri's open/load time + search time vs. non-native google app opening/loading taping voice search button.

No doubt it's easier to access Siri, but the fact that Google Search is able to interpret your voice and give you results pretty much instantly means that Apple can do better. I really hope Siri improves in a big way in iOS 7. Maps and Siri are Apple's potential Achilles heel right now. They need to fix those issues or people will start to grumble about a poorer user experience, and that's not good. Not good at all.

CapnJackGig
Nice, blows Siri out of the water. Apple seriously needs to step its game up. Google now has better voice support, better maps support, and a better mobile OS.

GoldenJoe
Oct 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
I just dont see the appeal of voice search. It doesn't add significant value, and is implemented poorly. Not sure why everyone is pushing it so hard; it reminds me of 3DTV.

unobtainium
Oct 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
Nice, blows Siri out of the water. Apple seriously needs to step its game up. Google now has better voice support, better maps support, and a better mobile OS.

I wouldn't say that Google has a better mobile OS overall. But they do have better maps and better voice recognition. They're also getting multiple user accounts (coming soon - not sure when). That's another thing Apple desperately needs, especially for iPad. (Knowing Apple, they will make it an iPad-only feature).

AppleScruff1
Oct 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
Siri has been lame since day one. It isn't revolutionary or magical. And it doesn't "just work".

gotluck
Oct 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
nice, they had the decency to allow it to function on the iphone 4 :cool:

Anuba
Oct 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
Tried it out and it's awesome indeed.

If you live outside the US, as I do, the difference is monumental between this and Apple's offerings. I don't think American Apple users know how crappy stuff like Weather, Maps or Siri is when you live in a small town in Europe.

I asked Google Search for the weather and it gave me the latest data from a weather station three blocks away. Apple gives me the weather in a neighboring town 25 miles away.

I told GS "I'm hungry" and it listed 11 restaurants in my neighborhood. Tried the same with Siri and she listed 3, one of which closed over 2 years ago.

I asked GS for the nearest gas station and it listed all the ones in my town including the one I'm looking at through my window. I asked Siri and she said "I found fifteen gas stations, they're pretty far from you". Yes, far indeed. They're all in Eastern Finland, I'm in Sweden. Superimposed on a map of the USA, it's like living in Sacramento, CA and being directed to gas stations in Ely, NV.

Apple is happy to take our money, but that's the only time we exist, apparently.

fosman
Oct 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
I don't seem to get voice feedback. Just goes straight to a google page. Is this a UK thing?

bozzykid
Oct 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
I find it extremely amusing to see that Google produces higher quality Apps for iOS than it does for its own Android platform.

This app is a stripped down version of Google Now for Android that provides a whole host of other features (along with cards) that aren't available on iOS. I fail to see how this is higher quality.

Schmitty11
Oct 30, 2012, 05:51 PM

You forgot where you live? Poor thing.

SgtPepper12
Oct 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
Wow, this is way better than Siri. Of course, it's not integrated into the OS, so it's not able to do some stuff, but whatever. The voice even sounds much better than Siri's voice.

Raima
Oct 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
That's only because Google doesn't have access to the phone's settings, as Siri does. In every way, it's a better, faster voice interpreter. Google Search is phenomenal, I have to say that I'm worried about this little competition Apple has gotten itself into...they should allow Google to do what they do best (information and search), and Apple should focus on the things they do best (simple, beautiful software and amazing hardware design).

Apple is simply not going to win when it comes to information/maps and search. Not a chance.

I agree. The technology that they have, has the potential to make the android phones so much more versatile than what siri is on the iphone.

That is if they haven't done it already. That's a really attractive feature to convert people over to android. I hope apple are taking note and are coming out with a dominate solution that seperates them a part over all other competition.

unobtainium
Oct 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
Wow, this is way better than Siri. Of course, it's not integrated into the OS, so it's not able to do some stuff, but whatever. The voice even sounds much better than Siri's voice.

Yeah, that's another thing that blew me away. Siri still sounds like a stilted robot even at the best of times, and her voice is somewhat irritating. The Google voice is much better in comparison and doesn't sound artificial at all. Especially when pronouncing the name of my city...Google says it in a completely natural voice. Siri sounds like she's choking out the syllables.

Badandy
Clearly you did not understand what I wrote. Yes its a nice and very fast voice search tool.. it is no Siri competitor as the TITLE of this thread suggest by stating "Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone"

And everything's still going over your head.

andiwm2003
Tried it out and it's awesome indeed.

If you live outside the US, as I do, the difference is monumental between this and Apple's offerings. I don't think American Apple users know how crappy stuff like Weather, Maps or Siri is when you live in a small town in Europe.

I asked Google Search for the weather and it gave me the latest data from a weather station three blocks away. Apple gives me the weather in a neighboring town 25 miles away.

I told GS "I'm hungry" and it listed 11 restaurants in my neighborhood. Tried the same with Siri and she listed 3, one of which closed over 2 years ago.

I asked GS for the nearest gas station and it listed all the ones in my town including the one I'm looking at through my window. I asked Siri and she said "I found fifteen gas stations, they're pretty far from you". Yes, far indeed. They're all in Eastern Finland, I'm in Sweden. Superimposed on a map of the USA, it's like living in Sacramento, CA and being directed to gas stations in Ely, NV.

Apple is happy to take our money, but that's the only time we exist, apparently.

one of the best posts I read all day. it also shows apples attitude towards customers. they only focus on what the majority wants and neglect everyone else. Unfortunately by that most people get neglected in one or the other aspect. I just got a Nexus 7 as a gift and I have to say I like it more than my iPad1. The iPad mini would have to be phenomenal to make me choose a $400 iPad mini over a $250 Nexus 7. The huge advantage of iOS over Android has gotten very small for my use.

Anuba
They're also getting multiple user accounts (coming soon - not sure when). That's another thing Apple desperately needs, especially for iPad. (Knowing Apple, they will make it an iPad-only feature).
I for one would be happy if you could just put the damn thing in guest mode, so that whoever you hand it to isn't one tap away from faceraping you or scrolling through your personal photos, mail, notes etc. Yeah, I get it Apple, you want to sell one iPad to each family member, but there are other scenarios...

neiltc13
It's a sampler of what you get if you have an Android 4.1+ device and Google Now. Of course, the iOS app doesn't do the awesome Google now stuff like show you alerts about whether there's heavy traffic on the way home or a reminder when to leave your current location to make it to the next appointment in your calendar on time...

Cue
Oct 30, 2012, 05:56 PM
Google Voice Search works amazingly well on iPhone 4. The microphone of the 3GS though doesn't seem to be as accurate for voice recognition.

Asking things like, "What's my email", "How many unread messages", "Schedule appointment for tomorrow at 8" result in a Google search rather integrated with Google services.

Here are some sample searches (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vyuku60vlurlc0/4T5HIb5TLU/Google%20Voice%20Search) using Google Voice on an iPhone 4 in the UK. All with the first try. Re: accent. Wow!

bozzykid
Oct 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
I just dont see the appeal of voice search. It doesn't add significant value, and is implemented poorly. Not sure why everyone is pushing it so hard; it reminds me of 3DTV.

This is why Google Now on Android does more than voice search. Things like giving you directions home, showing you flight tracking info for itineraries you received in gmail, giving you traffic and weather, etc. It does all this in the background without having to ask it. I really think Apple did themselves a disservice by going all in with Siri and nothing else to work in conjunction with it.

Oletros
Oct 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
They're also getting multiple user accounts (coming soon - not sure when).

If the now shipping Nexus 7 doesn't have it, it have to wait until November 13 with the Nexus 10 release

unobtainium
Oct 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
I for one would be happy if you could just put the damn thing in guest mode, so that whoever you hand it to isn't one tap away from faceraping you or scrolling through your personal photos, mail, notes etc. Yeah, I get it Apple, you want to sell one iPad to each family member, but there are other scenarios...

Exactly. This is why I'd like to see multiple user accounts, or at least a guest account, on the iPhone too. But I'm not holding my breath.

devilstrider
Oct 30, 2012, 05:59 PM

LOL fail. It's better on android.

QCassidy352
I don't see them as competitors. This will be great for search, which Siri is not. But it can't place a call, compose a text, set a reminder, add a calendar event, etc, which are the things i use Siri for.

Rend It
Apple should be horribly embarrassed. Why does Apple struggle so much with services? I know they are not a services/data driven company, but is it really that hard when you have the kind of war chest they do?

I haven't had any problems with the new Maps app. I use it a lot, and I think it is as good, or perhaps slightly better than the previous app. However, I live in the US (where there are far fewer problems), and the old app was just that: really old and stale. One wonders how nice the new app would be with a Google backed.

However, Siri has always been horrible to me, and just seems like a useless gimmick. I use dictation often, but I think the personal assistant features are barely useful. I might use it more often if it performed as fast as Google's.

Remember the good old days, when Apple just focused on nice hardware and consistent, efficient user interface design? More of that please, and less trying to beat Google at its specialties.

iChrist
Oct 30, 2012, 06:02 PM

Burrrn again for Forstall.

Maybe he is the next Jobs... and Siri is his MobileMe. Or Maps his MobileMe...

:rolleyes:

thisisdallas
Oct 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
I can see Siri becoming mounds better in the future, now that Cue is on the job. At least I hope!

bushido
Oct 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
incredible, i love how it actually shows what im saying as i say it and even lets me catch a breathe to think!
also very quick, cant even imagine how cool it must be on a nexus with all those other features enabled

on siri i always end up with stuff like "what uhm is the uhm weather uhm aaah let me think uuuhm for tomorrow in uuuhm aaah where am i uuuuuhm xy"

ablashek
Oct 30, 2012, 06:05 PM
its amazing how google finds ways to push its products and services to anywhere while apple requires you to have a relatively new device to do it.

btw still bumbed about not having siri on my ipad2. guess google is my way out. hope apple realizes this and starts changing if it really wants to make an impact.

Kaitlyn2004
Oct 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
I have an iPhone 4S and I'd argue that this IS better than Siri. The only reason it isn't (in some ways) is because of Apple's own restrictions. If the Google app had the permission to do texts, reminders, etc. I am confident it would perform those all just fine

It's a shame because indeed holding home is much quicker than
1) find google app
2) tap to open
3) wait to load
4) Tap the microphone and begin

Also is this US only? Not seeing any update available on Canadian iTunes store yet...

LEXS1411
Oct 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
Having read the comments here I went to the app store
to download Google Search and all I get is a blank white screen.
On both my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 ANYONE else having this
problem.

Unggoy Murderer
Oct 30, 2012, 06:11 PM
LOL fail. It's better on android.
...erm not really? Got my friends GS2 in my hand running it, nowhere near as smooth. Don't get me wrong, Google Now is awesome, but the App itself has got nothing on the iOS version.

At the end of the day, I don't want Google knowing everything about me. Just by having an Android phone, you're telling Google everything about you. I'll stick to my iPhone, thanks.

Anuba
Oct 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
Apple should be horribly embarrassed. Why does Apple struggle so much with services? I know they are not a services/data driven company, but is it really that hard when you have the kind of war chest they do?
It doesn't seem to matter how many countries their war chest could buy, they just don't want to invest in anything that doesn't bring in hard cash seconds later. For their services they just hook up with any 3rd party crap they can find. Yahoo weather, Yelp, TomTom, Gracenote... this from a company worth more than Microsoft and Google combined.

Rend It
I love it:

"Siri, can you please launch Google's new iOS search app?"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/googles-enhanced-voice-search-lands-in-ios-app-store/

Karma*Police
Google achieves this performance by incorporating "Google Instant" with "Voice Search". They interpret the words as you say them and then start the search before you finish your sentence.

Siri would have to do the same to compete on performance. However, Siri has multiple providers to consider whereas Google only has themselves. Nice work Google.

Problem is that I don't see myself using this much. Siri is only useful to me from the lock screen most of the time. If I am already in my phone typing then I don't use Siri. To get to an app in the phone I could just start typing or hit the app that I want. I use Siri to check a quick score or to set a quick reminder or to quickly ask about a movie. I would need access to this app from the lock screen to make useful in that regard.

I agree, voice search needs to be integrated into the OS. Apple desperately needs to build out its data centers to improve Siri's performance. Google is way ahead in this regard.

dacreativeguy

It still isn't conversational like Siri. With Siri, you can say "what is the weather here", and then "and how about New York", and it remembers the context. Google Now still requires distinct commands.

I'm guessing Apple will be able to solve their speed problems more quickly than Google can add AI, but we'll see. Good to have some competition to push the tech forward.

Shearwater
Oct 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
problem.

Same for me in UK

HMI
Doesn't matter!
Google is still evil!

I'll take Siri's "Sorry, I don't understand...." Over google any day.

Technarchy
I don't see them as competitors. This will be great for search, which Siri is not. But it can't place a call, compose a text, set a reminder, add a calendar event, etc, which are the things i use Siri for.

Exactly. Google Search...just searches Google.

Siri does so much more. I'm not saying Google Voice search is not good, because it is damn fast and the voice rec is stellar, but it's no direct Siri competitor. Not even close.

unobtainium
Oct 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
I have an iPhone 4S and I'd argue that this IS better than Siri. The only reason it isn't (in some ways) is because of Apple's own restrictions. If the Google app had the permission to do texts, reminders, etc. I am confident it would perform those all just fine

It's a shame because indeed holding home is much quicker than
1) find google app
2) tap to open
3) wait to load
4) Tap the microphone and begin

Also is this US only? Not seeing any update available on Canadian iTunes store yet...

I downloaded it from the Canadian App store. But then again I never had Google before so it was a fresh download, not an update.

sinsin07

If you did all of that clearly you don't understand Google Search.

burtba
It seems good, fast etc, but will NEVER be a competitor of Siri. Just the same as Google always restricted IOS users from turn by turn in maps, Apple will restrict google search, and it will NEVER be able to set reminders, set appointments, play songs, open apps, read your text, you know, the actual useful things about Siri once you have got over the gimmick side of things.
If Apple see a significant use of Google Search on iPh 4 etc they will just open up Siri to those devices too, to further shut Google out, JUST AS Google did to IOS users.
Kudos to Google though, this helps drive competition, with out which we would all be further behind in our technology.

erratikmind
Oct 30, 2012, 06:15 PM
Bravo! . . . Perhaps, Apple will step it up a bit with Siri.

ATC
Oct 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
Direct link in the OP doesn't work.

Rend It
Oct 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
It doesn't seem to matter how many countries their war chest could buy, they just don't want to invest in anything that doesn't bring in hard cash seconds later. For their services they just hook up with any 3rd party crap they can find. Yahoo weather, Yelp, TomTom, Gracenote... this from a company worth more than Microsoft and Google combined.

I can't speak to the others, but I actually quite like Yelp! Do you consider Google to be a crap 3rd party service? I just think if Apple focused more on what they do well, and less on competing with Google at what it does well, they'd be very successful, and have compelling enough reasons for people to buy their hardware, which as most agree, is where they make most of their profits.

Saladinos
Oct 30, 2012, 06:19 PM
"Direct link" goes to AppShopper?

Oh, right. It's also owned by Arn.

Ads for this, ads for that, ads to other places where you can see more ads!

gertruded
Oct 30, 2012, 06:19 PM
Now we know the reason for the management changes last week. Software failures compared to the competition.

Very bad news for apple, wish it were not true, but it is

unobtainium
Oct 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
Another Siri complaint: she talks way too much. It leads to delays in delivering content or executing commands.

Me: Text my sister
Siri: Ooookayyy, I can send a text to [Long full name, redacted] for yoouu. What would you like it to sayyy?
Me: Blah blah blah.
Siri: Okayyy. I updated your message (no *****, Siri). Would you like me to send it?
Me: Yes.
Siri: Okayy, I'll send it.

Why can't Siri just say something faster, i.e. "What would you like to say to your sister?" "OK, should I send the message?" "Message sent." Simple, fast, not long and drawn out. I'm not really interested in listening to my phone talk.

Arcady
Oct 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
The correct answer to "When does daylight savings time end?" is "There is no such thing." And then it should offer "Daylight Saving Time" as the correct answer.

Anuba
Oct 30, 2012, 06:21 PM

You expected a third party app to be fully integrated with the system?
Sigh.
Yeah, you can't ask Google Search to text your wife, that's hardly the point. The competition occurs in areas where the functionality overlaps, such as asking for weather, directions, points of interest etc. Google's alternative is blazing fast and recognizes each word in real time. The searches also yield way better results than with Siri, where I live anyway.

jterp7
Oct 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
I just dled this. I was pretty impressed lol. Siri time for some improvements.:D

Rocketman
Oct 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
I spent most of my day today with a visually impaired person to set up her iPhone 5 on Verizon in a rural mountain area. Access to texting and verbal commands has already changed her life in the first 5 minutes.

She was unable to activate replaying voicemails. She was unable to read the pdf Verizon sent her on using visually impaired resources.

I noted when working with her that there were several Apple interface errors when dealing with her verbal commands. I asked myself, being self-centered and all, how would that impact me? If I were in a car and hands free it would make the effort fail. If I were distracted by two other mission critical tasks in my science business and had only a verbal channel available in my brain, it would have crashed and burned.

The Google effort is interesting. The Apple effort is mission critical and in need of some sort of interface clarification.

I would rather control my TV DVR with verbal commands than waving my hands wildly ala wii, or switching rectangular buttons ala W8, or typing commands ala Linux/XP (DOS, CP/M).

Siri is the future. Tim should employ my visually impaired friend (and her clones) to make it so.

Rocketman

Needs fixin': I can hear a speakerphone call but not the commands on Siri and the phone call I am on. Put the change in settings.

johncrab
Oct 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
Gotta give Google credit here. I asked it "Why is Mitt Romney such an *sshole" and it brought up a paid ad for his website, but also sites like "Why is MR such a phony" and "mittromneyisatool.com".

I tried the same question with Siri and it responded with "Now, now". LAME!

bushido
Oct 30, 2012, 06:25 PM
It still isn't conversational like Siri. With Siri, you can say "what is the weather here", and then "and how about New York", and it remembers the context. Google Now still requires distinct commands.

I'm guessing Apple will be able to solve their speed problems more quickly than Google can add AI, but we'll see. Good to have some competition to push the tech forward.

thats an issue of iOS restriction tho, google now works great on my friends nexus and the voice is less annoying and more human too.

and i love some of those tasks of google now, its actually kinda creepy. it does so many things without even having to ask. wish there was a way to port it to the iphone

bwillwall
Oct 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
Girl: "Show me pictures of whales"
Background: "We'll be leaving in 5 minutes"
*iPhone shows whale pictures*
Girl: "Cool"

I lol'd

SporkLover
Oct 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Regardless of the subjective opinions as to which is better on which platform under which conditions.... this is great development.

Those who don't think that this is a competitor to Siri, think outside of the Apple box. This type of feature might be what attracts someone to an Android device over an Apple device. Sure it can never replace Siri on an iDevice (Apple protected ecosystem), but it show cases the stuff that Google can offer.

You want Apple to be spooked by this improvement from Google. Competition breeds improvement and innovation.

I started out as a Android users and used Google Search/Voice extensively. It was one of the features I was sad to lose in the switch over to Apple, but was happy to regain with iPhone 4S and Siri. Siri put the pressure back on Google and they've upped the ante.

rmwebs
Oct 30, 2012, 06:28 PM

Yes, it is a Siri competitor. Obviously it cant to core-os stuff unless they are given the api details, but it's online queries seems to be miles ahead of Siri at the moment, which isn't surprising given they have the worlds largest database of information at their disposal.

Competition is a good thing you know ;)

Uncle David
Oct 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Better question is how many of those things does Siri actually do well, the first time you say it? Answer is 0.Perhaps you should learn to speak a bit more succinctly. A little diction goes a long way. Typically, Siri has no problem following my commands first time out.

As to the admittedly faster Google Search voice feature... the time difference, so far, has been offset by the time it takes me to find the app and open it. Google Search is not on my Home Page, nor will it be displacing any of the apps that currently reside there. At least, not in the foreseeable future.

japanime

You're right. It's not a Siri competitor. Because Siri doesn't even run on my iPhone 4.

Thanks, Google. Downloading it right now.

ipedro
The speed in recognizing your speech as you speak it is impressive but the way it does it hinders the results.

It uses commonly searched terms to complete your request as you're still talking but because of this, it will ignore what you actually said in favor of a similarly sounding term.

Try this:

Speak: "Show me pictures of iPad mini"

Result: it searches for pictures of iPod mini.

I've tested this with multiple people with me here now and it always replaces iPad mini with iPod mini.

iPad and iPod may be one letter away from being the same word but they sound very different. No matter now much you stress the A in iPAAAD it will change it to iPod.

Nonetheless, Apple now has a target to beat. Instant speech recognition results is how SIRI should always have been.

SgtPepper12
problem.
Yes, exact same problem.
Edit: It's back on again.

wjdav2
Oct 30, 2012, 06:30 PM
As an iPhone 4 owner I was disappointed when Apple chose not to put Siri on the iPhone 4. I just downloaded Google Search and so far it works really well. It answers quickly and mostly correctly. Is it better than Siri? Maybe not for an iPhone 4s or 5 user. Is it better than Siri for an iPhone 4 user? Without a doubt. :D Good work Google.

drober30
Oct 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Apple needs to take notes on this one!

I love Siri integration but many times it will not connect and its nowhere as fast as this Google Search. It's just not.

drew0020
Oct 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Amazing app! Super fast with excellent results.

drober30
Oct 30, 2012, 06:33 PM
The speed in recognizing your speech as you speak it is impressive but the way it does it hinders the results.

It uses commonly searched terms to complete your request as you're still talking but because of this, it will ignore what you actually said in favor of a similarly sounding term.

Try this:

I've tested this with multiple people with me here now and it always replaces iPad mini with iPod mini.

iPad and iPod may be one letter away from being the same word but they sound very different. No matter now much you stress the A in iPAAAD it will change it to iPod.

Nonetheless, Apple now has a target to beat. Instant speech recognition results is how SIRI should always have been.

I tried it and first result was iPod but after enunciating clearer, it brought up iPad mini.

Scrumper
Oct 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
Yes, it is impressive. Unfortunately my iPod Touch 4th gen isn't quite up to the job and the app crashes just after or during bringing me the search results.

But then my iPod isn't quite up to the job of handling iOS 6 at all (everything painfully slow, app store unusable, multiple crashes on other apps, etc...).

Still, I won't go on. Google voice search was great for the split-second it worked for me and especially fun as I have a non-siri device :)

clukas
Oct 30, 2012, 06:34 PM

why because I didn't have to pay 529 for a feature I would not even use.

chas0001
Oct 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
I am really impressed. The voice recognition is good and the results are instant.

Radio
Oct 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
Holy crap - anyone just amazed how fast the recognition is?

Apple take note

rorschach
Playing around with it:

-Google Voice Search much faster than Siri

-GVS is better at visualizing information

-Web searches happen right in the GVS app. Siri opens Safari (would be nice if Siri just popped up a web view when doing a web search so you wouldn't have to leave Siri)

-GVS voice recognition slightly worse than Siri (however, I don't know if Google Voice Search gets better the more you use it like Siri does; if it does then it's too early to say this for sure)

-Wolfram Alpha integration with Siri lets Siri display a lot more info (even if the presentation isn't that great). Would be nice for Google to add WA results.

-Siri can do OS-related tasks that GVS can't, but that's not Google's fault. However, Google could integrate its own apps. "Send an email" in GVS could create a new email in Gmail; "Lunch with John tomorrow at 1PM" could create a Google Calendar event, etc. Since I use Gmail/Google Calendar/etc, this would be nice.

Google did a very nice job. But I also like Siri a lot too!

zemaker
A lot faster than Siri, and the voice sounds a million times more natural.

skellener
Oct 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
iOS 6 and now Google Search with voice have given new life to my old 3GS...it's working better than it ever did under iOS 5 - except those pesky maps.

DarwinOSX
Oct 30, 2012, 06:40 PM
Really? First of all this app has had voice search for some time. It's just improved not new.
Secondly it does not do many things that Siri does which should be obvious.

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/google-search-app-brings-siri-competitor-to-iphone/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/googlesearch.png)Google has given its iOS app a new search feature that squares it directly at Apple's Siri. Google even calls it the "most advanced voice search" on iOS. Google gives a number of examples (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/googles-most-advanced-voice-search-has.html) of how the service can be used. YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZUSPecPRk)
The service feels notably faster than Siri, recognizing words as they are spoken rather than all at once in the end. It even works on devices that aren't supported by Siri. One commenter (http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4719201) on Hacker News confirms that the voice search works on his iPhone 4.

Google Search for iOS is available free (http://appshopper.com/reference/google-mobile-app) on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://appshopper.com/reference/google-mobile-app)]

Article Link: Google Search App Brings Siri-Competitor to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/google-search-app-brings-siri-competitor-to-iphone/)

Anuba
Oct 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
I can't speak to the others, but I actually quite like Yelp!
Again, it probably depends on where you live. For me, Yelp produces results that are laughably incomplete, inaccurate and/or outdated. Maybe Yelp is very US-centric or something. Apple seems to go for those partners. They can't give me local weather, they can't give me local movie listings and so on. Google does all of it, even if you live in some puny town in Denmark or Poland. Apple basically stops caring once they've got the capital of each country covered.

Do you consider Google to be a crap 3rd party service?
Nope, but since Apple is at war with them and have thrown them out of everything except web search in Safari, I don't consider them one of Apple's partners.

I just think if Apple focused more on what they do well, and less on competing with Google at what it does well, they'd be very successful, and have compelling enough reasons for people to buy their hardware, which as most agree, is where they make most of their profits.
They can do whatever they feel like, as long as they make up their minds: Go all-in and be the best, or get out.

rmwebs
Oct 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
I can see Siri becoming mounds better in the future, now that Cue is on the job. At least I hope!

Or it'll get silently axed. Apple tend to do that when they have a lame duck.

Nahaz
Oct 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
Just downloaded the app and it appears to have no sound for me on my iPhone 4
Is this normal, or have I missed a setting?

Also, I've noticed it's probably accurate for people living in America and maybe Canada but when I ask for an auto mechanic (Australia) it gives me a listing for mechanics that are 250km away, unlike Siri.

ric275
Oct 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
This would've made me very happy when I had an iPhone 4... Bit late now that I've got Siri on iPhone 5! :mad:

aristotle
Oct 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
As others have pointed out, it is missing context. Sorry but you cannot blame Apple for that one. They could implement a session cookie for the webservice calls made by the app that contained no identifying information but helped to maintain the context of a session. Another alternative would be a session key passed back and forth in the query response. That stops being RESTful and more like RPC but I see it as a mixture of REST and RPC because the initial request has no context and the key only provides a way for the server to maintain context of the conversation between the client and server.

ALMF
Oct 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have an iPhone 4 so this is nice. Gave it a a few test tries and it works very well.

I like :)

cdmoore74
Oct 30, 2012, 06:46 PM

You forgot better phones. Samsung S3 and Note 2 are tag teaming iPhone 5.

tigres
Oct 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
Holy lord this is impressive. Siri, nice meeting you but I found something that actually works.

cleanup
Oct 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
I've had Google's Siri equivalent on my Galaxy Nexus since Jelly Bean was released. On an Android phone it does everything Siri does (ie. it can access all my contacts, calendar, files, music, etc.) and does it better.

There's nothing new here except Google bringing what they can (the instant Google search with smart cards) to iOS.

Kudos to Google for not withholding this from iOS in a feeble attempt to sell more Nexus phones. Also just highlights how withholding Siri from pre-4S iPhones was a marketing ploy to sell new phones.

Anuba
Oct 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Holy crap - anyone just amazed how fast the recognition is?

Apple take note
Well it's clearly happening locally, in the app. Apple for some reason needs to bounce the recorded voice data against their servers, resulting in Siri sometimes taking her sweet time.

Rocketman
online queries seems to be miles ahead of Siri at the moment, which isn't surprising given they have the worlds largest database of information at their disposal.One wonders who has the real competitive advantage?

ipedro

Try this:

I take back my praise. It does this a lot! It gets the word right as I say it but then replaces it with some other word consistent with popular search terms. It constantly overrides what I say even though it got it right the first time. This makes it very frustrating and frankly unusable.

Nahaz
I have an iPhone 4 so this is nice. Gave it a a few test tries and it works very well.

I like :)

Did you get a voice response back?

iGrip
Oct 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
No way that this is as good as SIRI.

All that Google ever does is to fire up the copy machines and imitate everything that Apple does first. But Apple has a huge head start and Google will NEVER catch up.

Google does not respect its users privacy. Stay away unless you want every secret aspect of our life to be sold to the highest bidder.

bollyboy
Oct 30, 2012, 06:52 PM
I don't seem to get voice feedback. Just goes straight to a google page. Is this a UK thing?

Change to English (US) , and should be fine .

cleanup
Oct 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
I just wish Google was a little better at marketing the fact that their voice search tech has been available on Android for a while. They're terrible at advertising, and could really take a big chunk of Apple's market share if they were just a little more aggressive.

I'm quite glad I switched to Android, to be honest. Haven't missed a beat and the interface is just so much more intuitive and easy to use; I don't get frustrated that I can't do things unless I launch a task-specific app.

Can't wait to get the Nexus 4 either!

sportsfan
Oct 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
Is it noting more than google search? instead of typing it uses voice recognition?

mrgraff
Oct 30, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hate to be "that guy", but I've had this app on my phone for years now.

Anuba
Oct 30, 2012, 06:58 PM

All that Google ever does is to fire up the copy machines and imitate everything that Apple does first. But Apple has a huge head start and Google will NEVER catch up.
Did you even try the app or did you just write a standard rant that doesn't apply here? Apple's voice recognition does not have a huge head start, this app demonstrates that they're already lagging behind, just like they did with the miserable voice recognition they had before Siri, "Voice Control" which never got a word right.

Google does not respect its users privacy. Stay away unless you want every secret aspect of our life to be sold to the highest bidder.
Well at least they don't store recordings of my voice input, unlike Apple: http://mashable.com/2012/06/28/apple-siri-stores-voiceprint/

cleanup
Is it noting more than google search? instead of typing it uses voice recognition?

Essentially yes but it pulls information from the web and presents/speaks it to you. It will also display the actual Google search results page below, but it'll always present information to you in a consumable manner if it can, ie. photos, definitions, weather results, sports scores, statistics, recent news stories, etc.

On my Galaxy Nexus at least I can ask it something like "Who directed Iron Man" and it'll actually pull up a picture of Jon Favreau, instead of just giving me a search result for "who directed Iron Man."

Aspasia
The new Google app is fast - but so is Siri where I live - which is quite rural.

When I asked Google if it would snow tomorrow, it brought up a weather forecast. When I asked Siri the same question, she told me it would snow.

Nice to have the app, but I like Siri better.

hspace
Oct 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
Fast and efficient voice recognition on my iPhone 4!?!?!?

But I thought it was impossible! :D

Seeing it parse words as you speak is very cool.

gertruded
Oct 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Works on my iphone 4. Siri does not. Enough said.

Not enough said, as Siri would work on my iphone 4 but for an Apple marketing decision.

kenfused
Oct 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
What happened to the google people saying they did not want people talking to their phone, but talking to people

devilstrider
Oct 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
...erm not really? Got my friends GS2 in my hand running it, nowhere near as smooth. Don't get me wrong, Google Now is awesome, but the App itself has got nothing on the iOS version.

At the end of the day, I don't want Google knowing everything about me. Just by having an Android phone, you're telling Google everything about you. I'll stick to my iPhone, thanks.

GS2? Man pick up a GS3 or Galaxy nexus then come back. I have a galaxy nexus and it's smooths as hell.

iGrip
Oct 30, 2012, 07:06 PM
problem.

I blame Google for that.

kas23
Oct 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Now we know the reason for the management changes last week. Software failures compared to the competition.

Very bad news for apple, wish it were not true, but it is

I can't help but think this app had something to do with Forstall being fired. This is light-years ahead of Siri in terms of speed and accuracy. The only thing Siri has going for it is that it's heavily integrated into iOS. This is a time where I wish we could pick a default voice command app.

makitango
Oct 30, 2012, 07:10 PM

You do realize that Apple's APIs won't allow Google to initialize most of these actions?

slayerz96
Apart from the usual alarms and stuff, this app is beautiful. Thank you Google.

newskin
Anyone know why the app doesn't have sound effects like in the video in op?

yeah
Oct 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah, Apple really needs to turn up its heat.

Literally, it's 30 degrees outside their main headquarters.

:D:D

CaneCollegeboy
Oct 30, 2012, 07:12 PM
I just downloaded this app and love it. It may not be as integrated as Siri but considering my iphone 4 has no Siri this is a hands down win from Google.

zin
Oct 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
Anyone know why the app doesn't have sound effects like in the video in op?

English (US) is the only language supported for voice replies (as far as I know). I have tested English (UK) and French and they do not have voice responses.

However, English (US) works perfectly for listening to non-US pronunciation.

EDIT: You can change by Settings -> Voice search -> Scroll down -> Select English (US)

bozzykid
Oct 30, 2012, 07:14 PM

Spoken like a true fanboy. Have you tried researching Google's voice search team online? There are actually quite a few articles and videos showing a lot of the innovation they are bringing. Apple didn't create Siri. They just bought it. And since they have bought it, it is questionable whether they have improved it or made it worse (Woz seems to think they ruined it).

theineffablebob
Oct 30, 2012, 07:14 PM

This search app has been on Android for 3-4 months now and it works exactly the same way.

mrmarts
Oct 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
i just updated mine the speech recognition seems way better even dare me say better than Siri but i don't get the the voice like the commercial is there anything i can do to resolve this.

kenfused
Oct 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cool app, works on my ipod touch 4th Gen

Ask Google "What is the best smartphone ever made?" :)

see what he says..

touchipods
Oct 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
One thing is for sure, the google search has a soft kind voice while Siri sounds like a woman version of C-3PO.

iGrip
Oct 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
Just downloaded the app and it appears to have no sound for me on my iPhone 4
Is this normal, or have I missed a setting?

All those Google apps are full of bugs.

newskin
Oct 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
English (US) is the only language supported for voice replies (as far as I know). I have tested English (UK) and French
and they do not have voice responses.

Thx zin, I updated the app and now have the voice answers.

However, English (US) works perfectly for listening to non-US pronunciation.

EDIT: You can change by Settings -> Voice search -> Scroll down -> Select English (US)
Thx zin, all sorted now. Gotta say, it's pretty darn quick!

To everyone not getting the voice initially, just go back into AppStore and there will be an immediate update a available.

kas23
Oct 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
I like how it just brings up information. On Siri I say things like "what is unsupervised clustering?" I get a response saying "would you like me to search the web for unsupervised clustering?" You have to then say "yes" or hit a button. I asked for information, if Siri doesn't automatically have that information, shouldn't she automatically do something else to give it to me? Why ask me if I then want to search the web?

That said, I still cannot get Google Search to accurately give me an answer for "what is unsupervised clustering?" It gets stuck on the "unsupervised" word.

jman240
Oct 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
That awkward moment when you realize that some Apple users will get this before some Android users

wjdav2
Oct 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
i just updated mine the speech recognition seems way better even dare me say better than Siri but i don't get the the voice like the commercial is there anything i can do to resolve this.

Same was happening to me. On your phone go to the app store and check for an update to the app. I downloaded the app and got no voice, then did the update and the voice was there just like in the video.

kas23
Oct 30, 2012, 07:22 PM

see what he says..

That's funny. I'm glad they're keeping it real.

mewolyp
Oct 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
On my Galaxy Nexus at least I can ask it something like "Who directed Iron Man" and it'll actually pull up a picture of Jon Favreau, instead of just giving me a search result for "who directed Iron Man."

I'm using this app on my iPhone4 and it also pulls up a picture of Jon Favreau while speaking his name.

wjdav2
Oct 30, 2012, 07:23 PM
That awkward moment when you realize that some Apple users will get this before some Android users

I think Android users have had it for a while.

bozzykid
Oct 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
What happened to the google people saying they did not want people talking to their phone, but talking to people

Since this app is only a small subset of Google Now on Android, you may not understand how voice plays only a small role on Google Now on Android. Sure voice search is cool, but unlike Siri, Google Now is a much more comprehensive suite that isn't solely voice. No one thinks voice has no role, but Siri adoption is not as high as Apple wants not just because it isn't very accurate but because people want more than just voice (there are many places where it just isn't possible).

kas23

Back before the iPhone 3GS it used to be like this all the time. Google was providing me with more function on my iPhone 3G than Apple was. Then it slowly started to go away. I'm glad we still get thrown a bone.

Kwill
Very nice on iPad2. Too bad Google doesn't know how to interpret "ePatient poster."

kas23
Oct 30, 2012, 07:25 PM

Android users have had a lot of stuff for a while. Sigh.

KdParker
Oct 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
Makes since. Hasn't this been on the google page forever?

hamkor04
Oct 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Take that Forstall for not giving iphone 4 Siri!
Apple backed up its "Beta" marketing with "a" Forstall.

kas23
Oct 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Very nice on iPad2. Too bad Google doesn't know how to interpret "ePatient poster."

Oh my gosh, I've never heard of an epatient poster. Seems like a very cool idea.

TVreporter
Oct 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
Works great on my 3GS! Love it! Will be handy and I expect I'll use it a lot.

mewolyp
It's not speaking the answers back to me like in the video.

Seems Apple may have forced them to remove that functionality.

EDIT: I am mistaken. Spoken answers only work for English (US) and not English (UK) or French. I can't confirm if spoken responses work for any other languages, though.

Voice feedback only works for US English. Tried Australian English, Japanese and Chinese, it doesn't work.

ITS ME DAVID
I find google search better then Siri and so I deactivated Siri too also save battery life.

iGrip
Spoken like a true fanboy. Have you tried researching Google's voice search team online? There are actually quite a few articles and videos showing a lot of the innovation they are bringing. Apple didn't create Siri. They just bought it. And since they have bought it, it is questionable whether they have improved it or made it worse (Woz seems to think they ruined it).

It doesn't matter what Woz says. I like Steve better.

Man9z0r
Oct 30, 2012, 07:31 PM

Of course it can't do that stuff on an iPhone. I am sure Apple wouldn't of let it through if it could. It can do all of those things on an Android device and prob faster then Siri! :cool:

sneaky butcher
Oct 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Well it's clearly happening locally, in the app. Apple for some reason needs to bounce the recorded voice data against their servers, resulting in Siri sometimes taking her sweet time.

hmm i doubt it is local. Google are introducing offline dictation in jellybean 4.2 which comes out soon.

Googles system is an open mic to the server and it translates each word as you say it. Siri waits for your whole sentence or question - records it and sends it to the server. Google voice dication used to be like that before they upgraded to the open mic in android 4.0 (ICS).

but yeah offline dictation is next for android.

Webb2Go
Oct 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
One issue regarding privacy, I have not allowed the application to use information about my current location yet the response to the question "where am I" brings up a map of the town I live in.

In Settings under location, the app also shows that it cannot use my current location data. Is this atypical of an app working around the location, contact, privacy, etc?

bozzykid
Oct 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
hmm i doubt it is local. Google are introducing offline dictation in jellybean 4.2 which comes out soon.

Offline dictation is in Android 4.1 which has been out for quite a while.

linuxcooldude
Oct 30, 2012, 07:34 PM
While I agree Siri can do some iOS specific things that Google simply cannot access. I terms of speed and performance for anything search related, this app blows Siri out of the water. The speed in which the Google app translates, and how accurate it is vs Siri in it's speech recognition is very, very good.

It is quite fast for a speech to text. But it only is useful for internet searches. But it still does not interpet & understand what you are saying.

I don't see it as a direct competitor to Siri. In order to do what Siri does would probably be too taxing to the phone and the size of the software too large.

Now if it could do what Siri does at the same speed it does on Google searches, Apple would have something to seriously worry about.

frayne182
Oct 30, 2012, 07:34 PM

It really is. What a joke that they claim it can't work on the iphone4, yet you can jailbreak and get it.

Or the iPad Mini can run it, but the iPad 2 can't yet they both have the same internals

I can do all but one on my galaxy nexus with google now. Let me fix that. After more testing I can do all those.

----------

LOL that's the lamest excuse I have heard in a long time. Man you are pathetic.

LOL agreed

rdlink
Oct 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
Please, it's a forgone fact that Siri is an embarrassment. It's clunky and can take forever, even on LTE.

Just not true. Sorry.

irDigital0l
Oct 30, 2012, 07:37 PM
I will now use Google search over Chrome and Safari...

frayne182
Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Always thought Google's voice function was better then Siri.

But in the end I find them both stupid and useless for the most part.

Only time I have used Siri was while driving and to text someone.... and even then it was ****ked. Some of my words were messed or it would just cut off my message and ask me if I want to send it.

rdej47
Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Wow apple should take notes. The speed of this is incredible. Yes obviously it's not built into ios so it's Functionality is limited but hopefully with Forstall gone this is what Siri could be.

kenfused
Oct 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
I like how it just brings up information. On Siri I say things like "what is unsupervised clustering?" I get a response saying "would you like me to search the web for unsupervised clustering?" You have to then say "yes" or hit a button. I asked for information, if Siri doesn't automatically have that information, shouldn't she automatically do something else to give it to me? Why ask me if I then want to search the web?

That said, I still cannot get Google Search to accurately give me an answer for "what is unsupervised clustering?" It gets stuck on the "unsupervised" word.

that's cause Google is only for search, it doesn't do anything else...

lunaoso
Oct 30, 2012, 07:40 PM
It works better then I thought it would. Gotta give credit to google on that one. Although I probably won't use it much because of it not being very accessible quickly... Pretty cool though.

mewolyp
GS2? Man pick up a GS3 or Galaxy nexus then come back. I have a galaxy nexus and it's smooths as hell.

Oh, so we need new phones such as GS3 or Galaxy nexus to run the app smoothly??

JAT
Perhaps you should learn to speak a bit more succinctly. A little diction goes a long way. Typically, Siri has no problem following my commands first time out.

I have excellent diction and often have trouble with voice commands. It's more than that.
You forgot better phones. Samsung S3 and Note 2 are tag teaming iPhone 5.
So, you have to have 2 phones to compete with iPhone, now?
Essentially yes but it pulls information from the web and presents/speaks it to you. It will also display the actual Google search results page below, but it'll always present information to you in a consumable manner if it can, ie. photos, definitions, weather results, sports scores, statistics, recent news stories, etc.

Which is exactly like standard Google search.

sneaky butcher
Oct 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Offline dictation is in Android 4.1 which has been out for quite a while.

yep your right but this app on ios is doing it online

Technarchy
Oct 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
that's cause Google is only for search, it doesn't do anything else...

I dont think people are getting that, or they are just being obtuse.

You cannot directly compare Siri to Google Search.

Siri has quite a few more functions. Actually a lot more functions.

Pared
Oct 30, 2012, 07:45 PM
Believe it or not the Bing app has been out for a while and behaves the same way.

touchipods
Oct 30, 2012, 07:51 PM

see what he says..

Yup just tried on my iPod touch 4G-which Siri is not allowed by Apple. Works smooth and fast.

ClearBox
Oct 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Oh boy... I love Apple and all, but the voice search function on the Google Search app is amazingly fast and accurate.

This is exactly how Siri needs to respond. I sure wish we can move Siri out of Beta soon.

I understand that Siri can achieve more complex tasks... but Google is kicking butt.

iOrbit
Oct 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
well, its very clear:

Siri gets the crown for functioning your iPhone for you.

Google's voice service gets the crown for Search.

no arguments, no arrogance.

if apple wants to make great search, they need to get inline with google. but i see that hard to come by if google gets this voice's wisdom from its own search background easy.

apple can compete with it by designing more and more ways siri can do things for you on your iPhone.

but i don't see them ever out doing google on search, for what shouldve always been obvious reasons.

mdwsta4
Oct 30, 2012, 07:53 PM
Not that I ever actually use Siri, but the Google search app is WAY faster. And it arguably provides better responses for a lot of things. Hell, even using the 'humpback whale' example like in the video. The Siri response is absolute garbage in comparison.

Tried a few random things as simple as:
'how many feet are in a mile'
'how does a rangefinder camera work'
'what is the state animal of california'

to slightly more complicated questions like:
'compare the kindle and the nexus 7'
'compare BMW 328 and Audi A4'
'how much blood is in the human body'
'what hurricane is currently hitting the east coast'

All of these requests confuses Siri and she has to do an internet search to find the answer. Google finds it right away.

If Siri was a feature I actually used, I'd be breathing a sigh of relief that something better has finally come along. Honestly, with as pitiful performance as I always get out of Siri, it amazes me that anyone has the patience to actually use it.

Rend It
Oct 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Again, it probably depends on where you live. For me, Yelp produces results that are laughably incomplete, inaccurate and/or outdated. Maybe Yelp is very US-centric or something. Apple seems to go for those partners. They can't give me local weather, they can't give me local movie listings and so on. Google does all of it, even if you live in some puny town in Denmark or Poland. Apple basically stops caring once they've got the capital of each country covered.

Nope, but since Apple is at war with them and have thrown them out of everything except web search in Safari, I don't consider them one of Apple's partners.

They can do whatever they feel like, as long as they make up their minds: Go all-in and be the best, or get out.

I find myself agreeing with just about everything you've said. They're trying to carve Google out of iOS, and it really doesn't seem to be paying off or making the user experience any better.

iWe
Oct 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
Siri by Skynet? No thanks.

makitango
Oct 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
Siri, get me to Oxford Street. - Sorry, that's outside of the US. Would you like to launch the Google Voice Search to complete your request?

CausticPuppy
Oct 30, 2012, 08:00 PM

Google voice search excels at searching... very impressive.

Siri excels at doing things-- like setting appointments, reminders, etc. Some overlap between the two but they serve different purposes.

HarryKNN21
Oct 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
I don't think this is a Siri competitor, people don't select between Android and iOS just because of its voice recognition.

mdwsta4
Oct 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Siri tells me about some doctors around my area???
Google brings up reviews for the iPhone 5

see what he says..

rei101
Oct 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Wow... companies are starting to grab Apple by the &^$#%.

No innovation = no competitive.

belbri
Oct 30, 2012, 08:03 PM

Well Said.

krrk
Oct 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
sad as it may sound...happy apple days are over...:apple::apple::apple:

SporkLover
Oct 30, 2012, 08:07 PM
Which is exactly like standard Google search.

Which is also like Siri. You can type in a question in Google Search and get an answer.

Siri uses Wolfram Alpha which will typically give better results than a Google Search, but for many things you will get very similar results.

ALMF
Oct 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
Did you get a voice response back?

yes, i just installed the app. asked a few question and most all got a voice response back.

but questions like "what is the next concert near me?" just provided a web site list

When i asked "what is the Mullet Festival?" its voiced back but u could see the link below that it was reading. Same when asked "What is Ultra Music Festival?" but there it stuttered lol.

DrRadon
Oct 30, 2012, 08:15 PM
I can search via speach on iPad 2, but its only searching, no siri like service. Schade.

tzeshan
Oct 30, 2012, 08:17 PM
According to Apple
"Siri lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more.* Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk. Siri is so easy to use and does so much, youll keep finding more and more ways to use it."

mewolyp
Oct 30, 2012, 08:18 PM
sad as it may sound...happy apple days are over...:apple::apple::apple:

How so?? It's just another great app which can be used in all iOS devices.

NorEaster
Oct 30, 2012, 08:19 PM

Defensive much? Geez...calm down man. I don't think anyone was claiming that Google Search was/is a Siri replacement. It's plainly obvious that Google Search only searches (hence the name of the app), while Siri can do other things.

However, Google Search is fast and the voice recognition is great...and you CAN'T deny that.

ALMF
Oct 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
Ask Google "What is the best smartphone ever made?"

was funny to see. guess they were not going to let their app "speak" Iphone.

token787
Oct 30, 2012, 08:23 PM
Google voice is fast and most accurate. When I had the Ipad and messing with Siri I was most annoyed and frustrated that she got it wrong most of the time. Google search is even on the Droid phones. Google rocks!!

Boilermaker_coday
So as far as I can tell, the only problem is that you actually have to open the app with this one instead of being able to hold down the home button for siri right?

JAT
Which is also like Siri. You can type in a question in Google Search and get an answer.

Siri uses Wolfram Alpha which will typically give better results than a Google Search, but for many things you will get very similar results.
That wasn't really the point of the 2-3 posts about this.

jigzaw
Oct 30, 2012, 08:24 PM
Impressive speed, but I don't see myself ever using it. I only use voice commands when it makes sense to, like when I'm driving and want to call someone hands-free or ask Siri for directions. Love how they're going to the extent of giving their "siri" cute answers to questions. How do Android fans not see how Google has truly stolen everything they have from Apple? Flippy-phones and Blackberries would still be the norm if not for Apple's innovation.

token787
Oct 30, 2012, 08:26 PM

Yep. It's more enhanced now and loving it!

SporkLover
Oct 30, 2012, 08:28 PM
Wow... companies are starting to grab Apple by the &^$#%.

No innovation = no competitive.

Don't count them out. Apple isn't the infallable beast that others make them out to be, nor is their competition just mindless emulators as Jobs would like folks to believe they are.

Apple hasn't lost it's ability to innovate. Their ability to innovate hasn't necessarily been through the introduction of new technologies, but to take existing technologies and make/apply them into GREAT products. Over the past decade their innovative product design, and eco system creation has cut through the competition. Now that they've changed the market and forced competitors to approach product design differently they've got some real competition. Minus Jobs, Apple still has the same great team behind their recent successful products and they don't rest on their laurels.

What you are seeing is the competition finally stepping up to the Challenge levied by apple years ago. Samsung GS III is a far cry from the Samsung Instinct.... and Android 4.X is a far cry from Android 1.5.

Welcome to the new norm..... Apple has credible competition.

----------

That wasn't really the point of the 2-3 posts about this.

Please enlighten. Picking up the tone from your post I assumed you were dismissive about the example of Iron Man director.

Unggoy Murderer
Oct 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
So you're one of the about 18 people who bought a Nexus? Lucky you :D And I've used a GS3 before, still more laggy than my old iPhone 3G. At least I can pan about websites, PDF's, and scroll through lists without there being a seconds delay on my "out of date iPhone 5". For a seemingly amazing device, the GS3 sure does suck a lot :confused: Again, I'll stick with my iPhone :cool:

whoknows87
Oct 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
hmmmmm Impressive to say the least, fast responses and accurate answers
I'm a huge Apple Fan, but this puts Siri to shame yes it lacks a few features because it is not integrated with iOS , just imagine if it was........... Google is really stepping it up , I don't know what Apple is doing...

frayne182
Oct 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
Just downloaded it and tried it for ***** and giggles.

It is really damn fast! Wow.

I have it on my Nexus 7, but didn't expect it to be so fast on the iPhone. Impressed.

people gotta stop defending Apple to the dying breath and realize when a better search product is available over Siri.

This will only make Siri better in the long run.

Tubebaum
Oct 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
This is working wonderfully on my 3GS. Thank you Google :)

fins831
Oct 30, 2012, 08:56 PM
I find google search better then Siri and so I deactivated Siri too also save battery life.

You can use siri to activate google search lol

frayne182
Oct 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
You can use siri to activate google search lol

lol just tried it.

I bet Siri so bitter right now I just did that :cool:

jrodsep
Oct 30, 2012, 08:59 PM
This update is great, love the Google voice search. Now can Google get somebody to work on the YouTube app so they can update it?

fins831
Oct 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
I wonder if there is going to be a jailbreak tweak that allows this to send texts and update the calender, etc? I mean that'd be impressive in its own right.

dammyonline
Oct 30, 2012, 09:08 PM

Please tell me you are kidding. Of course it won't be able to do functions like sending a text or set appointment in you calendar! It's not integrated into iOS!! But never the less it's brilliant when it comes to searching and pretty darn fast

maxwelltech
Oct 30, 2012, 09:11 PM
Google Now on iPhone?

rorschach
Oct 30, 2012, 09:14 PM
Not that I ever actually use Siri, but the Google search app is WAY faster. And it arguably provides better responses for a lot of things. Hell, even using the 'humpback whale' example like in the video. The Siri response is absolute garbage in comparison.

Tried a few random things as simple as:
'how many feet are in a mile'
'how does a rangefinder camera work'
'what is the state animal of california'

to slightly more complicated questions like:
'compare the kindle and the nexus 7'
'compare BMW 328 and Audi A4'
'how much blood is in the human body'
'what hurricane is currently hitting the east coast'

All of these requests confuses Siri and she has to do an internet search to find the answer. Google finds it right away.

Er, Google Voice Search does the same thing -- a regular web search -- for all those but "how many feet in a mile" and "state animal of California", both of which are also recognized by Siri. Actually, Siri has an advantage in that I can use different search providers (say "Google 'how much blood is in the human body'" or "Bing 'how much blood is in the human body'", etc.)

Rodimus Prime
Oct 30, 2012, 09:19 PM
Interesting that they choice a very very similar female voice.
I am still waiting for a English sounding Jeeves or Alfred from Batman.

To be fair a lot of voice things like that tend to have a female voice like it. Listen to a lot of automaticed voice things over the phone systems and often times it sounds like that.

Also it is the same voice they use for Google map navigation. So really it was apple that stole the voice from Google not the other way around.

mdwsta4
Oct 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
I realize Google is doing an internet search, but the point is, it DOES the internet search! Siri stops, waits, and asks if I want to do an internet search rather than just providing the answer. So it's another step (yes or button press) to continue. Again, contributing to my point of the speed of the Google app.

Er, Google Voice Search does the same thing -- a regular web search -- for all those but "how many feet in a mile" and "state animal of California", both of which are also recognized by Siri. Actually, Siri has an advantage in that I can use different search providers (say "Google 'how much blood is in the human body'" or "Bing 'how much blood is in the human body'", etc.)

Uncle David
Oct 30, 2012, 09:30 PM

You do realize that Google is an Internet search engine, right?

Nahaz
Oct 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
Voice feedback only works for US English. Tried Australian English, Japanese and Chinese, it doesn't work.

No such option available on the iPhone 4. Maybe 4s and 5 but not on the iPhone 4

Looked for an update to the app and couldn't find one so I uninstalled and installed again. Still no joy on the voice playback.

I have even gone into the International settings and changed from English (Australian) to English(US) and still no sound.

EDIT: FIXED

If you are still having the 'No Sound' issue, open the app to the home screen. Click on the small cogwheel at the top. Click on Voice Search. Under the language options select English (U.S)

Joe-Diver
Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna grab this before the App Store pulls it for some reason.....

Edit - Wow this is cool.... realize it isn't Siri, but since I only have a 4 it's earned a spot on my bottom 4.

dwsolberg
Oct 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
Typical Google. Fast, efficient, reliable. And of course, ugly, poorly named, and harder to find the relevant info.

mantan
Oct 30, 2012, 09:45 PM
Bravo Google!!! This is a REALLY nice app.

And it may have tipped me towards a Nexus 7. I love the Apple products that I own. But Siri, Maps, the Podcast app fiasco along with releasing a Mini without a Retina screen and a premium price have left a bad taste in my mouth.

bossxii
Oct 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
It is quite fast for a speech to text. But it only is useful for internet searches. But it still does not interpet & understand what you are saying.

I don't see it as a direct competitor to Siri. In order to do what Siri does would probably be too taxing to the phone and the size of the software too large.

Now if it could do what Siri does at the same speed it does on Google searches, Apple would have something to seriously worry about.

Exactly... if only. :)

revelated
Oct 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
This, as well as Steve Forstall's departure, I think are where it is appropriate to say...

Steve Jobs would NEVER have approved this.