Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hey,

I set my atv to play audio through to my express, but it doesn't work.... Any tips?

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Hey,

I set my atv to play audio through to my express, but it doesn't work.... Any tips?

If you are trying to use AirPlay out to AirPlay Speakers (your Airport Express), I believe that only works with "Music" that originates from the Apple TV.

For example, you should be able to listen to iTunes Match Music, Radio, Podcasts, and possibly Music Videos via AirPlay out from your Apple TV to your express, but probably won't be able to do the same thing with other movie or TV show video files. Likewise, media that originates on another device (computer/iOS) won't play through your Apple TV to your express. The content must originate from the Apple TV itself.

Since Netflix is recognized as a video format, it doesn't support audio over AirPlay. Conversely, since iTunes music videos are stored under "music" in iTunes, AirPlay "sees" them as music and allows audio over AirPlay.

Hope this helps.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
If you are trying to use AirPlay out to AirPlay Speakers (your Airport Express), I believe that only works with "Music" that originates from the Apple TV.

For example, you should be able to listen to iTunes Match Music, Radio, Podcasts, and possibly Music Videos via AirPlay out from your Apple TV to your express, but probably won't be able to do the same thing with other movie or TV show video files. Likewise, media that originates on another device (computer/iOS) won't play through your Apple TV to your express. The content must originate from the Apple TV itself.

Since Netflix is recognized as a video format, it doesn't support audio over AirPlay. Conversely, since iTunes music videos are stored under "music" in iTunes, AirPlay "sees" them as music and allows audio over AirPlay.

Hope this helps.

that helps very much, thank you. though i wish it would work otherwise...

thanks again,

r.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Oh dear, just realised this myself after a quick search wondering why I can output my music to airplay speakers, but not movie trailers, TV shows or movies. Read it was some kind of licensing issue, but I can't see that being the case, it makes no sense unless I'm missing something.

So the only option to watch video and have better sound is to connect ATV to a separate amplifier and speakers, or to change the info of the video file to Music Video which actually does work, but I'm guessing that will soon be crippled once Apple find out, as they must have their reasons for not wanting to allow it.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea sadly no video with AirPlay speakers yet - I want to live in a Wireless world - hopefully Apple can help us get there.

genshi

macrumors 6502a

Hope this helps.

I too just discovered this, but what I can't discover is the reason why? Does anyone have any insight as to why this is not allowed with Movies/Video content? I posted this same question to the Apple Support community...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.