Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
Hey everybody, I came here with a few questions about the iPad. I'm giving my macbook to a sibling whose laptop just broke and I have a Windows desktop. I was wondering if there there apps on the iPad for the following tasks I need to do? I found some apps with the help of others, now I'm just wondering if there are cheaper alternatives... :)

-Open and edit pdfs, not annotation where I draw arrows and underline, although that wouldn't hurt. I often need to combine and insert various pdfs together (before, between, and after specific pages) and delete specific pages. (PDF Expert: $9.99)

-Open, edit, and create word docs; the header and footer as well. Convert them to pdf is crucial. Being able to copy/paste from another word doc directly into the doc I am working on would be a huge bonus, but not necessary. (Pages: $9.99)

-Is there a Microsoft Outlook app where I can view my calendar, email, and contacts easily? I'm not too keen on having to see them on 3 different applications and having to continually jumping between them.

Do not tell me to get a laptop, please. I am here because I am curious if it is possible to avoid a laptop for these simple work tasks. Besides that, thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:

Baytriple

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
This maybe of some help.

Apple's Pages (Word)
Apple's Keynote (PowerPoint)
Apple's Numbers (Excel)

Could be worth a look.

ppark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
This maybe of some help.

Apple's Pages (Word)
Apple's Keynote (PowerPoint)
Apple's Numbers (Excel)

Could be worth a look.
Thanks! Does anybody know if Pages is able to convert doc files into pdf?
Not too sure how the Keynote and Numbers would assist me, but thanks for the suggestions.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Thanks! Does anybody know if Pages is able to convert doc files into pdf?
Not too sure how the Keynote and Numbers would assist me, but thanks for the suggestions.

Have you read the information and reviews on the App Store?

ppark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
Have you read the information and reviews on the App Store?
Yes I have.
The product description states: "Share your work by exporting it as a Pages ’09, Microsoft Word, or PDF file and sending it via Mail "
-What I got from this is that yes, Pages is able to save a document I am working on as a pdf onto the ipad hard drive.

The only review regarding pdf's that I can see says: "... I am able to create nice documents and convert to Word doc or send as a pdf..."
-The review is what confused me; they are able to create and save as a doc or send it as a pdf? If this is the case, I guess I can just email it to myself and save it onto the hard drive, but I would like to avoid workarounds as much as possible if possible.

EDIT: I rarely, rarely work with Excel or Powerpoint, so I find no need to use apps that can convert excel/powerpoint files into a pdf. They also both revived poor ratings too, however I did appreciate the insight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.