Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n2deep

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
I just purchased a 2012 MBA to replace my mid 2009 MBP and was wondering if I should set up as new or restore from a backup?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Up to you! Personally, I'd setup as new and just transfer files from a previous backup. This would let me purge unnecessary files or programs that may have accumulated throughout the years. Restoring from backup would be a lot quicker and easier though!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I have to agree. While restoring from a backup will quickly set up your system exactly how it was so you can continue working, I like to use the move to new hardware to do a bit of "spring cleaning" with my files. I find it easier to distinguish what stuff I need and stuff I don't need when I'm transferring it to the new system.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Just to make sure I got this... when you guys talk about transfer, did you mean you will hand pick all the files we needed from the old Mac and move it to the new Mac, right?

When you guys talk about restore, I assume you mean Migration Assistance and copy everything from the old Mac to the new Mac, right?

n2deep

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Is it possible to connect the two together maybe via USB to bring files over or should I just drag them to a thumb drive? What's the best way if I don't restore from back up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.