Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
and much more beautiful than osx. microsoft has done it. the gui team there has done it. apples os will look a million miles behind.

You know there's a separate section for Windows.

Does it look nice? Yes. Does it look nicer? It's an operating system and I'm sure that's not people's main concern and Windows 8 is definitely not miles ahead anyway.

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
No. it's very ugly and unpolished. Win7 looks miles better really.
Not to mention OS X.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
No. it's very ugly and unpolished. Win7 looks miles better really.
Not to mention OS X.
I don't mind working in the desktop on w8 but I'm not enjoying the start screen as much. I also ended up adding classic shell start icon to get IE away from the bottom left corner of the desktop. Probably should have just left it at w7.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Win8's UI may be pretty, but it's incredibly unintuitive.

+1 on that. I'm running it on a VM and at first I couldn't figure out how to get back to the start screen from inside an app until I accidentally ran my cursor across the bottom corner of the screen and that side bar popped up. I do like the design and may possibly only use that for as few programs that I need to run on windows. Not doing any IT work with it. Just a bit of simple programming for school and ill probably use the Xbox integration. The only problem I've ran into so far after installing it last night was the games app wouldn't fully launch. Just sat there on the big green screen for 30 minutes with those spinning dots until I finally gave up. Still looking into that one.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I love Windows 8, I agree the user interface looks extremely nice, very minimalist, even on the desktop..

Personally haven't had any issues whatsoever getting around Windows 8, I know many people new to the OS will struggle with certain things.

Is it enough for me to switch? Probably not, but as always I'm willing to give anything a chance, If I end up liking it more then OSX then why not..

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
W8 is nice because it's "different", but that's all.. the UI, in my opnion, is weird and a completly mess...

Luckly I got my for free since microsoft screw up on the release here in Brazil o/

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Coming from someone that loves Windows 7 I am still on the fence about Windows 8. I need better access to the file system, desktop, moving files around etc... in Windows 8 it feels like I have to switch around a lot more then I do in seven.

At this time most of the apps do not apply to me or I find it just as easy to click the real site that I have never had an issue with to date. I may need to give it a bit more time once it can run all of my programs.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
You have to use it for some days before the gestures become automatic.
Not only it's intuitive for me, it gets things done real quick. It's an awesome UI.

Glockron

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm a long-time Win 8 user (been on it since the Dev Preview before I got my Mac). It's a huge upgrade to previous Windows versions.

I found it to be incredibly stable - despite being previews running on a dell ****top. Since then I've been running it in Parallels on my MBA - making it even faster. It's fast and snappy, and boots much faster than any other iteration of Windows. Personally, I think Metro has potential. If you like it, go for more Metro apps - we have yet to discover its full potential. I mean - the iOS App Store sucked when it was introduced too - right?

Really - if you don't want to you can get away with barely touching metro. Essentially, it's only your start menu if you want it that way. And even that can be changed.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
You have to use it for some days before the gestures become automatic.
Not only it's intuitive for me, it gets things done real quick. It's an awesome UI.

The main reason I did not give it a bit more time was a program I use daily would not work. I really do need to be able to move files around easier, I never give up on such things and will give it another look once it can support that program I use.

Zauberer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
I installed Windows 8 and have been using it a lot. I really find it unintuitive/annoying on a laptop/desktop. I could see how Windows 8 is good if you are using a tablet AND you use Microsoft internet services.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Out of curiosity, what program was it? Anything that works in Win7 should work in Windows 8.

I thought so as well, there may be a way to get it to work I was just have a lot of trouble with it. Direct TV To PC. Had issues with no screen capture protection etc... I doubt it was the program itself just issues within the system to have that run correctly.

Renzatic

Suspended
I thought so as well, there may be a way to get it to work I was just have a lot of trouble with it. Direct TV To PC. Had issues with no screen capture protection etc... I doubt it was the program itself just issues within the system to have that run correctly.

I bet it has something to do with Media Center not being installed by default in Win8. There's probably some .dll file, codec, plugin, or what have you that your DirectTV program requires that's there in Vista/7, but is missing in 8 because of that.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I bet it has something to do with Media Center not being installed by default in Win8. There's probably some .dll file, codec, plugin, or what have you that your DirectTV program requires that's there in Vista/7, but is missing in 8 because of that.

I tried to research it a bit, what I need to do is have Windows seven and eight on at the same time. It should work and it does install there is just that one part missing that does not allow for playback, I am sure there will be a way to correct that issue at some point if not already I just have to find it.

TFMTASAD

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I've been using it exclusively since launch and so far so good.

Once you get past the learning curve (and there is one), it's just a solid OS. The new start menu may seem complicated at first, but once you learn your way around it, it does work really well. It is confusing at first because it basically tries to reinvent the way you've been working with a PC for the last 20 years.

I'm running it on my old Mini (2009) and so far so good. Once these touch enabled PCs start to catch on, this thing will shine even more.

It does everything that windows 7 does.... but faster. M$ made a bold move with their flagship OS which is something I never thought I'd say in my life. Is it going to work out? We'll see. Every new versions of windows was poorly received by the users, just look around for articles on WinXP's launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.