PDA

View Full Version : Apple Preparing to Begin Testing of OS X 10.8.3

MacRumors
Oct 31, 2012, 02:06 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/apple-preparing-to-begin-testing-of-os-x-10-8-3/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/mountain_lion_icon-150x150.jpgSix weeks after the release of OS X 10.8.2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/19/apple-releases-os-x-10-8-2-with-facebook-integration-and-game-center/), Apple is preparing to begin testing on the next maintenance update to OS X Mountain Lion. AppleInsider notes (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/31/apple-preparing-first-beta-of-os-x-1083) that Apple has sent out invitations to select users asking them to participate in the testing process.

The first build of a new OS X version typically appears a few days after such invitations are sent out, suggesting that we may see the first beta of OS X 10.8.3 appearing late this week or early next week.

There is no word yet on what changes and improvements will be included in the update, and the amount of time each release spends in testing can vary significantly, so there is no estimate yet on when OS X 10.8.3 can be expected to make its way to a public release.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Begin Testing of OS X 10.8.3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/apple-preparing-to-begin-testing-of-os-x-10-8-3/)

clukas
Oct 31, 2012, 02:09 PM
I dont think anything major is coming. Probably some minor enhancements alongside performance tweaks.

MasterHowl
Oct 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
It'll come out in February I reckon, going on how long it's taking them to release iTunes 11:cool:...

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
I dont think anything major is coming. Probably some minor enhancements alongside performance tweaks.
Does anything major ever come in .. Updates, for either iOS or OS X?

dukebound85
Oct 31, 2012, 02:17 PM
this is news?

nuckinfutz
Oct 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
I welcome it. There are always little improvements which each update that fix something that wasn't working previously.

clukas
Oct 31, 2012, 02:21 PM

facebook and twitter integration was a big update. Also the update which fixed the battery draining issue was big and made a notable difference to users.

bushido
Oct 31, 2012, 02:38 PM
please fix the slow shut down on a ssd

CGagnon
Oct 31, 2012, 02:49 PM

I wish we could downvote on this site...

Pentad
Oct 31, 2012, 03:07 PM
I hope it fixes COD: BO with new Nvidia Drivers.

Osullivan1
Oct 31, 2012, 03:18 PM
It'll come out in February I reckon, going on how long it's taking them to release iTunes 11:cool:...

TBH I'd be surprised if it came out before Feb, since OS X betas stay in beta for months as everyone on the OS X team is probably working on OS X 10.9 (or whatever will be next) since they usually unveil the next OS in February.

Schranke
Oct 31, 2012, 03:18 PM
I hope they will fix the colorprofile bug.
my color profile changes like a crazy sometimes and I am getting tiered of running onyx every other week.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 31, 2012, 03:26 PM
I wish we could downvote on this site...

No doubt such a negative comment without any reasoning backing it up would be down voted.

iThinkIt
Oct 31, 2012, 03:38 PM
hopefully it will be a major update.. not just tweaks

Wreckie
Oct 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4149309?start=660&tstart=0
Please fix this problem!
Has been around 3 months, still no fix.

iBug2
Oct 31, 2012, 03:49 PM
Please fix this problem!

3 months? That's not a long time. :) I know several bugreports I filed, some were fixed after 3 years in another OS.

Westacular
Oct 31, 2012, 03:55 PM

Tons of stuff. Although, for OS X, that's more the exception than the norm.

Off the top of my head:

10.6.6 added the Mac App Store.
10.7.2 added iCloud.
10.8.2 added Facebook integration, new Game Centre features, and a bunch of other features mostly related to integration with new features in iOS 6.

... but, in each of those cases, the features were announced and known about well in advance. I wouldn't expect Apple to introduce any "surprise" new features in a point release, and there exists nothing to indicate that there will be any new features in 10.8.3; in all likelihood, it's mostly bug fixes, with probably many of them related to features introduced in 10.8.2.

krravi
Oct 31, 2012, 03:59 PM
this is news?

This is defenitely better news than the iPad mini having stereo speakers.

I need the fix for file copy where it shows as "Copying" forever.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Oct 31, 2012, 04:03 PM
I really hope they fix the Mac mini wake-on-LAN issues that ML introduced...

And the remote wake problems Lion introduced..

Both a critical for media machines.. :(

Robert.Walter
Oct 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
I bet it launches before end November with features related to the delayed iTunes improvements.

petsounds
Oct 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
I really hope they fix the mdworker issues in 10.8.3. It's out of control.

Zmijutin
Oct 31, 2012, 04:33 PM

What is that?

Nermal
Oct 31, 2012, 04:38 PM
3 months? That's not a long time. :) I know several bugreports I filed, some were fixed after 3 years in another OS.

Yup. I reported an iPod touch-specific bug in 3.1.3 (back when that was the current version) and Apple finally got back to me a few weeks ago.

tcphoto
Oct 31, 2012, 04:39 PM
this is news?

It is for those of us with portables, a number of us have lost a great deal of battery life and Apple has contacted many of us about it back in August. The 10.8.2 update did little to nothing and we can only hope that the next update will help.

dukebound85
Oct 31, 2012, 04:51 PM
It is for those of us with portables, a number of us have lost a great deal of battery life and Apple has contacted many of us about it back in August. The 10.8.2 update did little to nothing and we can only hope that the next update will help.

my point is I would hope that it was a given that apple was testing updates to ML that they will roll out. It shouldn't have to be posted that they are doing so lol

Just like I am sure it is a given apple is working on the next iphone as we speak

Robert.Walter
Oct 31, 2012, 04:51 PM

I was one of those. New 11" MBA m2011 bought last Dec went from 5 hrs to 2.5 to 1 as I installed 10.8.0, .1 and .2 respectively. After 10.8.2 it has also displayed a persistent replace battery flag message...

Apple called me when I complained in the Apple forums after .0, sent diag software, and followed-up after.1, but failed to return my several emails back to the contact after .2 ...

If, after .3, the situation does not improve, I'll have them replace the battery (which I think was damaged by the excessive heat generation problem after the .0 install) under warranty.

I bought my mom a 13" m2011 MBA and she has similar unresolved problems too.

Sound214
Oct 31, 2012, 05:18 PM
With 10.8.2, Apple notified developers on August 22, with a first beta coming the next day, August 23. This was a wednesday and a thursday. Maybe we can expect the first beta to be seeded tomorrow?

Oct 31, 2012, 05:25 PM
I welcome it. There are always little improvements which each update that fix something that wasn't working previously.

Like the annoying Console mdworker messages on constant spotlight indexing and faulty sandboxing, which sometimes led to wake-from-sleep issues...it's about time.

petsounds
Oct 31, 2012, 05:57 PM
What is that?

Mountain Lion, on some systems, never finishes doing Spotlight indexing properly, and some internal libs are having trouble communicating. Lots of disk thrashing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1446854

kemo
Oct 31, 2012, 07:08 PM

You turning you computer off that often? No offence, but I cant remember when I lastly shut down any of my computer...

Anyway I can understand you would be asking for faster faster start up but shut down? You just hit "shut down" and go doing your stuff, don't you? :rolleyes:

Risco
Oct 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
Lets hope it fixes the slow shutdown, buggy safari text input and display while using intergrated graphics and the annoying having to click change desktop background twice for it to launch.

iKnowMr.Jobs
Oct 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
Theres actually been a bug with fullscreen apps since Lion. When you exit a full screen app, occasionally, the menu bar and dock won't reappear. It doesn't happen nearly as much in Mountain Lion but when i does, its completely annoying and the only fix is the enter and exit an app in full screen.

bushido
Oct 31, 2012, 07:37 PM
You turning you computer off that often? No offence, but I cant remember when I lastly shut down any of my computer...

Anyway I can understand you would be asking for faster faster start up but shut down? You just hit "shut down" and go doing your stuff, don't you? :rolleyes:

this may sound stupid and totally OCD but i cannot sleep knowing that led light of the laptop is "breathing" in my room while i'm trying to sleep

do1984
Oct 31, 2012, 08:22 PM
Just want the 15" rmbp laggy scrolling fixed. It's about time.

MartiNZ
Oct 31, 2012, 09:07 PM
Yup. I reported an iPod touch-specific bug in 3.1.3 (back when that was the current version) and Apple finally got back to me a few weeks ago.

Yeah. Submitted bug reports on the iTunes dashboard widget no fewer than 21 times between 10.4.1 and 10.6.8. They eventually fixed the bugs by removing the widget.

I have not used ML at all, but I'm pretty sure they still haven't fixed nested sorting in dock stacks, which they themselves broke between Leopard and Snow Leopard.

It would be nice if 10.8.3 saw all the skeuomorphism gone, given the staffing changes towards that end. It wouldn't be the first GUI shift in a point point update - 10.2.6 brought sunken widgets in brushed metal windows ... and for that matter 10.1.5 brought antialiasing across the board, which I guess counts as GUI :D.

ChimeraUK
Oct 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
Hope there's Boot Camp support for Windows 8!

mrsir2009
Oct 31, 2012, 10:09 PM
Damn - I thought for a sec they were talking about the next major OSX release :(

Nermal
Oct 31, 2012, 10:16 PM
It would be nice if 10.8.3 saw all the skeuomorphism gone, given the staffing changes towards that end. It wouldn't be the first GUI shift in a point point update - 10.2.6 brought sunken widgets in brushed metal windows ... and for that matter 10.1.5 brought antialiasing across the board, which I guess counts as GUI :D.

10.5.2(?) brought an option for nontransparent menu bar :)

Saladinos
Nov 1, 2012, 12:28 AM
Better NVidia drivers, please.

dfcster
Nov 1, 2012, 12:56 AM
I'm still hoping that they are going to address the pixelated icons issue!
This has been an issue since Leopard, and has just gotten worse and worse where it it absolutely ridiculous under Mountain Lion..

I'm big on creating customised icons for my OSX's and having them display constantly as being pixelated or missing completely is just pathetic!

If you do a google search there are thousands of people affected by this issue.

A quick fix is to clear all caches, and delete all .ds_store's,
but the problem soon returns..

Come'on Apple :apple: Fix it!

Peace Out
[dfc]

PS have Attached Perfect 512x512 pixel Icons how they are displaying and how they should actually look...

Battlefield Fan
Nov 1, 2012, 02:43 AM

I have the same problem! I thought it was my ssd. I didn't know that others were having problems with the os.

JGRE
Nov 1, 2012, 03:52 AM
If the speed and stability are improved, I will be happy. These updates are not intended for major overhauls.

Fangio
Nov 1, 2012, 04:20 AM
Tons of stuff. Although, for OS X, that's more the exception than the norm. Off the top of my head:

10.6.6 added the Mac App Store.
10.7.2 added iCloud.
Still think iCloud added in 10.6.9 would have been nice.

Hope there's Boot Camp support for Windows 8!

Yes please. About time too.

anthonyp01
Nov 1, 2012, 06:16 AM
Not expecting anything major, maybe a few tweaks.

designs216
Nov 1, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm hoping for some of those behind-the-scenes fixes to smooth out the rough spots. I ended up reverting to Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro and will give Mt. Lion another go after the update.

phillytim
Nov 1, 2012, 08:37 AM
Would be awesome for 10.8.3 to fix the extended shutdown times many of us experienced since 10.8.0.

kemo
Nov 1, 2012, 09:53 AM
I'm hoping for some of those behind-the-scenes fixes to smooth out the rough spots. I ended up reverting to Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro and will give Mt. Lion another go after the update.

well, Ill wait to this update and if this one dont bring some major fixes, I'm reverting back to SL, since it was the most stable/bug-free OS I've ever on my Mac. Who knows, maybe ML 10.8.8 will be stable/bug-free one day..:o

talmy
Nov 1, 2012, 11:08 AM
Who knows, maybe ML 10.8.8 will be stable/bug-free one day..:o

Perhaps with the new "ship it when it's ready" philosophy we won't be getting the Annual Cat and we might actually make it to 10.8.8 before 10.9.0 upsets everything again.

SirYossi
Nov 1, 2012, 02:24 PM
Please fix this problem!

Just wondering what iMac you have? is it the one with the seagate HD or the WD HD? i see apple extended the warranty for HD replacement for those imacs with the seagate HD.
I got my iMac last Dec and it was actually made in Dec 2011 as well and noticed when i looked the other day it has the WD HD - wonders if apple noticed there was issue and switched HD in its iMac line. I am about to update to X.8 but considering waiting till 10.8.3

jffluis
Nov 1, 2012, 02:36 PM
Just want the 15" rmbp laggy scrolling fixed. It's about time.

X2! Please Apple fix it! I gave you my money! :D

Tucom
Nov 1, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hopefully they'll fix the gaming performance under Mountain Lion, because from what I've gathered on other threads in the Gaming section of the forum and on the Lion and Mountain Lion sections of the forum, 10.7 Lion is superior to Mountain Lion for gaming.

How could Apple screw that up?

kemo
Nov 1, 2012, 03:43 PM
Perhaps with the new "ship it when it's ready" philosophy we won't be getting the Annual Cat and we might actually make it to 10.8.8 before 10.9.0 upsets everything again.

I personally dont think, there won't be 10.9 sometimes next year, nobody knows but Apple.

Wreckie
Nov 1, 2012, 04:50 PM
Just wondering what iMac you have? is it the one with the seagate HD or the WD HD? i see apple extended the warranty for HD replacement for those imacs with the seagate HD.
I got my iMac last Dec and it was actually made in Dec 2011 as well and noticed when i looked the other day it has the WD HD - wonders if apple noticed there was issue and switched HD in its iMac line. I am about to update to X.8 but considering waiting till 10.8.3

I have seagate drive, 2011 iMac, but last time I checked it did not qualify for program.

Populus
Nov 1, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have seagate drive, 2011 iMac, but last time I checked it did not qualify for program.

Check it again.

Wreckie
Nov 1, 2012, 05:22 PM
Check it again.

Checked, not qualifying.

Bought July 2011, 1TB Seagate drive.

Populus
Nov 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
Checked, not qualifying.

Sorry man.

Hugh
Nov 1, 2012, 07:48 PM
I personally dont think, there won't be 10.9 sometimes next year, nobody knows but Apple.

Apple already stated that they are going to release new OS every year like iOS. :/

Hugh

gnasher729
Nov 1, 2012, 08:18 PM

The software that you need for a Fusion drive came in 10.8.2. (And reportedly works fine on Macs that don't ship with a Fusion drive).

kemo
Nov 2, 2012, 08:00 AM
Apple already stated that they are going to release new OS every year like iOS. :/
Hugh

And so I'm a bit worried we will be getting half-baked OSes and iOSes every year :S

Maniraja
Nov 2, 2012, 10:53 AM
Up to the day I installed ML battery life 7 to 8 hours no sweat. Day I installed ML to now still less than three hours doing the same stuff. Guess what I hope will be included in 10.8.3

Truffy
Nov 5, 2012, 06:56 AM
facebook and twitter integration was a big update.
That's a matter of personal opinion, not one that everyone shares.

Oh, and I'd like a fix for the annoying 'bug'* in Safari which means that the scrollbar disappears when not scrolling. Some of us use that as an indicator of how far we are into a document.

* Yes, I realise that it's a design 'feature'. But it's wrong.

milo
Nov 5, 2012, 09:26 AM

Well, it was an addition of features as opposed to bug fixes. Whether a particular change is "major" is always going to be a matter of personal opinion.

Sound214
Nov 5, 2012, 09:56 AM

Oh, and I'd like a fix for the annoying 'bug'* in Safari which means that the scrollbar disappears when not scrolling. Some of us use that as an indicator of how far we are into a document.

You do know that you can enable/disable that in System Preferences?

nuckinfutz
Nov 5, 2012, 10:08 AM

It's not wrong. With a trackpad and gestures there's little reason to need to drag a tiny bar on the left side of the screen.

"But I only want to see where I am scrolled in the document nuk."

Fine...tap the trackpad with two fingers and the scroll bar appears in MT showing you where you are in the document.

macuser1232
Nov 5, 2012, 05:33 PM
Will this fix freezes? I've had 2 freezes since Mountain Lion first came out.

Krazy Bill
Nov 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
Will this fix freezes? I've had 2 freezes since Mountain Lion first came out.Most definitely. All generic lockups will be fixed to be sure because it's probably a single line of code causing all Macs worldwide to freeze up. Never mind the plethora of other applications people are running.

Seriously dude... how vague can one get?

Jenni8
Nov 7, 2012, 01:30 AM
Checked, not qualifying.

I read somewhere that some people are being as listed under their serial as owning a WD HD when in fact they had a seagate that Did qualify. You should check your seagate model number just to be safe. I got mine same time as you and now I suffer with no computer for now as apple currently has it.

Truffy
Nov 7, 2012, 04:27 AM
You do know that you can enable/disable that in System Preferences?
No, I didn't know that. Thank you!
It's not wrong. With a trackpad and gestures there's little reason to need to drag a tiny bar on the left side of the screen.
There's no need with a magic mouse (or whatever it's called), but that's not the point. It's an indicator, like I said.
"But I only want to see where I am scrolled in the document nuk."

Fine...tap the trackpad with two fingers and the scroll bar appears in MT showing you where you are in the document.
Fortunately, Sound214 was more helpful.

milo
Nov 9, 2012, 04:44 PM
Nine days after the invite and still no release. Usually it's within a day or two. Maybe they found an issue too major even for a beta that's holding it up?

mattburley7
Nov 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
maybe sometime this week for the beta.... release in december?

Kebabselector
Nov 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
Nine days after the invite and still no release. Usually it's within a day or two. Maybe they found an issue too major even for a beta that's holding it up?

Seems they were a bit quick to send out the invites.....

OS X Mountain Lion Software Update News
Thanks for accepting our invitation to test OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3. The invites were sent out a little too early! We are working hard to provide you with a seed build soon, but we wanted to let you know that you have not missed any seed announcements. Please enjoy the USA Thanksgiving holiday! The Seed Team will be enjoying a break as well. Look for more information about the 10.8.3 seed during the week of November 26th.

Thanks for your patience!

- Kyla

Kyla Laffoon
Apple Software Customer Seeding

talmy
Nov 17, 2012, 06:17 PM
Seems they were a bit quick to send out the invites.....

Maybe it's part of the new policy to "ship when ready" rather than ship on a schedule?

Bubba Satori
Nov 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
this is news?

This is the preparing of the beginning of the testing of the news.
Stay tuned.

milo
Nov 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Maybe it's part of the new policy to "ship when ready" rather than ship on a schedule?

This is a beta. By definition it's something that ships before it's ready.

And they were quick to send out the invites, if they didn't have a beta for testing there's no reason to send the invites that early.

Anyway, the beta is out now so it's a moot point.

SirYossi
Dec 6, 2012, 12:39 PM
Checked, not qualifying.

If you have apple replace it keep your papers it is a matter of time that all seagate HD are replaced. Run the serial number to see when the computer was built. When it was sold and built are two different things. You could buy the computer in Aug but it was built in April thus having a faulty HD. Go to apple with date of manufacture and show them that. Computers can sit in stores or warehouses for months before they are sold. I would not give up - did you get apple care with it? I think they switched to the WD HD sometime in Aug or Sept 2011. I got mine in Dec 2011 from apple refurb store and ran the serial number and it told me mine was built the week before - could not figure out why such a new imac then i noticed a small overbuffing blemish on the stand - that blemish that can be covered saved me $300 :)

Wreckie
Dec 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
If you have apple replace it keep your papers it is a matter of time that all seagate HD are replaced. Run the serial number to see when the computer was built. When it was sold and built are two different things. You could buy the computer in Aug but it was built in April thus having a faulty HD. Go to apple with date of manufacture and show them that. Computers can sit in stores or warehouses for months before they are sold. I would not give up - did you get apple care with it? I think they switched to the WD HD sometime in Aug or Sept 2011. I got mine in Dec 2011 from apple refurb store and ran the serial number and it told me mine was built the week before - could not figure out why such a new imac then i noticed a small overbuffing blemish on the stand - that blemish that can be covered saved me $300 :)
Serial tells me that it was built week 14 (March), so it should qualify?

greenchiliman
Dec 7, 2012, 11:44 PM
I'll have to breakdown and finally upgrade to computers newer than my 2006 macbook pros

SirYossi
Dec 21, 2012, 12:23 PM
Serial tells me that it was built week 14 (March), so it should qualify?

I think apple extended it recently to include spring and mid summer ones
check the policy notice i think it was updated a week or so ago

Wreckie
Dec 22, 2012, 04:01 AM
I think apple extended it recently to include spring and mid summer ones
check the policy notice i think it was updated a week or so ago

still this: "Our records show that this iMac has a Seagate hard drive, but it's not affected. No further action on your part is needed at this time."

BillyBuggins
Jan 6, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I am very new to Apple thought systems having bought my iMac in August '12.
I installed the latest OS in December, but frankly I have no way of knowing whether its an improvement or not.
I came to Apple when Microsoft brought out Windows7. The previous XP and I got along very well, as it seemed intuitively easy to use and met my needs.
Emails,surfing, photos and documents.
In seeking an alternative to Windows7 I was told that Apple was much easier to use, was intuitive etc..
Ha!
After four months of wrestling with Mail and Launchpad and other weird and apparently irrelevant programmes, I decided to try installing Windows XP using Bootcamp.
"Easy!" I was told by AppleSupport.
Well, needless to say I gave that up because it wasn't. Might have been if I wanted to instal Windows7, but Windows7 was what I was trying to escape from.
So I find myself baffled by Apple's OS. I don't find it intuitive. Other Apple users tell me that I should use another mail programme -Mailplane? gets mentioned. I am told that Bootcamp is pretty useless, and that I should buy something from the AppleStore which works better.

So seeing as installing Microsoft Office on a Windows XP OS on an iMac is not a job an Ordinary Joe can do, what is the Apple equivalent to Office or Word even?

Alekto
Jan 6, 2013, 10:51 AM
So seeing as installing Microsoft Office on a Windows XP OS on an iMac is not a job an Ordinary Joe can do, what is the Apple equivalent to Office or Word even?

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Thank me later.

BillyBuggins
Jan 6, 2013, 11:13 AM
When I go back onto the mac I will download your recommendation.

talmy
Jan 6, 2013, 11:20 AM

If you really need Office, Microsoft does make Office for Mac. However I find it cumbersome (I also find the Windows versions cumbersome). NeoOffice, LibreOffice, and OpenOffice (they are basically the same) produce nearly 100% compatible files and are somewhat more difficult to use however they are inexpensive (the latter two are free). They do suffer from poor integration with OS X as they were designed to be cross-platform. NeoOffice is best in this regard but still misses the mark with Lion/MtnLion features.

If you don't need the compatibility and aren't writing large documents (like books) Apple Pages is fast, simple, and inexpensive.

IMHO Macs do have a greater ease of use (I've used Macs for 7 years now, but still use Windows and have for decades, as well as Linux) however they are certainly different. The online tutorials and the Apple Store classes are invaluable.

BillyBuggins
Jan 6, 2013, 11:52 AM
I am a simple fellow of average intelligence! I am also 66 and perhaps that is part of the reason why I find myself increasingly frustrated.
When I was a kid we didn't have a fridge or a washing machine or even a home telephone.
My first computer ran Windows 98. I considered Windows XP and Outlook Express great because they were SIMPLE to understand.
I don't WANT to spend hours trying to understand then use an OS, because to me a computer is a tool. An amazing tool, and one I just want to be able to fire up and use, full stop. I want to apply myself to composing a letter or an email, not trying to figure out how to do it; and it is because I could do that with XP. that I resent the complexity of Mountain Lion. Ease of use is what counts, not so much the clever stuff you can do with a Mac, because quite frankly I'm not interested.

jamin100
Jan 6, 2013, 12:13 PM
Your only real option then is to go back to xp. It can be installed on a machine with mountain lion but you'll need a snow leopard DVD to install the xp drivers.

You also won't be able to use the bootcamp assistant because as you've found out it only supports w7

Unfortunately you will either have to learn how to do it or pay someone to do it for you.

Technology changes and you need to learn how to use it I'm afraid

BillyBuggins
Jan 6, 2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks Jamin and all who have taken the time to respond. I have heard of virtual xp programmes that can be run on more up to date platforms. I might look into that one. Otherwise I think Talmi's Pages might suit.
Jamin you are quite right that things move on, as they must. Many of my generation struggle with the latest stuff. Some of us worry about what it is doing to our human ability to interact and "emote."
But you will find all this out as you too get older!

jamin100
Jan 6, 2013, 12:27 PM
There are a few virtual program's you can use to run windows in osx

Virtual box is free
VMware fusion & parallels cost money