Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Hello - just ordered my mini 2.6ghz i7 with 500gb drive and a seperate SSD 256gb samsung 830.

i ordered the upgrade kit too from ifixit.

question...

what is considered the easiest way to install the OSX onto the SSD drive?

i was thinking about just cloning the internal to the SSD once installed?

i've read that internet recovery might also be a good option?

which do we all class as the "easiest"

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I downloaded ML from the Apple Store and "burned" it to a bootable partition on a USB external drive. Much faster than a DVD and much more faster than an internet recovery (with my connection at least...).

Just plug it in. Reboot, press Alt and choose the bootable partition. Then choose the new SSD as the destination. After installation you'll be done.

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I downloaded ML from the Apple Store and "burned" it to a bootable partition on a USB external drive. Much faster than a DVD and much more faster than an internet recovery (with my connection at least...).

Just plug it in. Reboot, press Alt and choose the bootable partition. Then choose the new SSD as the destination. After installation you'll be done.

how did you "burn" it to a USB thumb drive?

you okay to walk me through the steps?
im guessing you booted your mac on original drive and formatted it then rebooted and installed from the thumbdrive?

and will that definitely work with the Mini? yeah?

pxbr

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
Last edited:

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
this: http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...10831105634716

i would recommend this for all new 2012 mac mini owners - internet recovery takes forever

& yes it works for mountain lion too (article says lion), & rumor has it os x 10.8.3 will be a unified installer that should work for all ml-capable macs, once available you can just do this: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/ like you can for other/older macs

sorry the first link you've provided doesn't work?

thanks

steveo3140

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
for those that have it...

For those that bought an aftermarket SSD, and also have a external enclosure. You can plug the SSD by external first, then use a program called SuperDuper. I have used this little program when I took the process to switch all my mac computers to SSD's.
Thanks,

Steve

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
how did you "burn" it to a USB thumb drive?

you okay to walk me through the steps?
im guessing you booted your mac on original drive and formatted it then rebooted and installed from the thumbdrive?

and will that definitely work with the Mini? yeah?

Lion Diskmaker. Amazingly simple.

No need to boot from original drive. Just reboot and when screen goes off press and hold the Option key. A screen will show up letting you choose to boot from the USB installation partition you created with Lion Diskmaker. Choose the new drive as destination and follow the steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.