PDA

View Full Version : Is 11" i5 MacBook Air powerful enough to handle for CS6

hulk2012
Oct 31, 2012, 03:49 PM
I am graphic designer predominately using my iMac for cs6 and more however lacking portability thinking of 11" 2011 MacBook Air with i5, 64GB, SSD and 4GB RAM. Not sure If should consider 15" or maybe man noon Pro instead. Any recommendation folks?

spartig
Oct 31, 2012, 04:56 PM
I am graphic designer predominately using my iMac for cs6 and more however lacking portability thinking of 11" 2011 MacBook Air with i5, 64GB, SSD and 4GB RAM. Not sure If should consider 15" or maybe man noon Pro instead. Any recommendation folks?

Wow! Do yourself a favor and get something with more power (CPU & GPU), ram, and storage space; and a bigger screen with a higher resolution. Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle working on that machine. I wouldn't even be able to handle a 13" screen. I've tried. Didn't work out too well.

Beanoir
Oct 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
Wow! Do yourself a favor and get something with more power (CPU & GPU), ram, and storage space; and a bigger screen with a higher resolution. Personally, I wouldn't be able to handle working on that machine. I wouldn't even be able to handle a 13" screen. I've tried. Didn't work out too well.

He's already got that, or can't you read?

To the OP - I use CS6 on mine and it handles it fine for doing the odd job (photo work mainly). But i revert to the iMac for heavy rendering that requires CPU power and naturally for a bigger screen.

If you're keeping the iMac too then i'd say an 11" MBA as well is a good combo if you want o work on things away from the studio, but can always fall back on the iMac when things get heavy.

hulk2012
Oct 31, 2012, 08:09 PM

To the OP - I use CS6 on mine and it handles it fine for doing the odd job (photo work mainly). But i revert to the iMac for heavy rendering that requires CPU power and naturally for a bigger screen.

If you're keeping the iMac too then i'd say an 11" MBA as well is a good combo if you want o work on things away from the studio, but can always fall back on the iMac when things get heavy.

What do you mean heavy? Not sure also if ps or illustrator requires much CPU as I haven't notice myself...

spartig
Nov 1, 2012, 11:34 AM

Yes I can read! But apparently you have issues comprehending what you read.

What has "he already got"? He said he has an iMac and wants something portable. Just for your info there are portables that have more to it than the 11" Air. He was asking if the 11" Air would be good enough. I gave him my opinion based upon my experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not to mention he asked about the 15". Which is what I suggested he do. So yes I can read. You might want to try it sometime yourself.

If the 11" Air works for you, then good for you! It doesn't work for me.

Graham-S
Nov 1, 2012, 02:53 PM
As Beanoir does, I also do run CS6 on a MBA 11.
For photo work, it seems to do fine, but as indicated previously, if you need the horsepower, get a bigger horse.
If you need to 'get by' away from the powerhouses, maybe it will do just fine.

I hook my MBA to a Dell P2412H where 24" is a heck of a lot to do photo work on than the 11. :D

The only time I've bogged down the MBA so far is with iPhoto and 2500 pictures :)

One other thing though, I have the 128GB drive, and wish I had bigger... (Those 2500 photos are 13.6GB alone).

My 2c worth.

TheRichboy247
Nov 2, 2012, 02:42 AM
If you are going to get an MBA, upgrade the storage because 64GB's isn't enough. Especially if you are working with photos, you might want to consider the 256GB SSD and the 8GB RAM upgrade.

Beanoir
Nov 2, 2012, 07:48 AM
Yes I can read! But apparently you have issues comprehending what you read.

What has "he already got"? He said he has an iMac and wants something portable. Just for your info there are portables that have more to it than the 11" Air. He was asking if the 11" Air would be good enough. I gave him my opinion based upon my experience. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not to mention he asked about the 15". Which is what I suggested he do. So yes I can read. You might want to try it sometime yourself.

If the 11" Air works for you, then good for you! It doesn't work for me.

Get over it fella.