PDA

View Full Version : PPC Mac's and ECC memory?

dime21
Oct 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
Hello all, I know the new Xeon based Power Mac uses ECC memory - a very good thing any time you're doing serious work. Does anyone know if there was ever a PPC machine from Apple that could make use of ECC memory?

Thanks

Hrududu
Oct 31, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hello all, I know the new Xeon based Power Mac uses ECC memory - a very good thing any time you're doing serious work. Does anyone know if there was ever a PPC machine from Apple that could make use of ECC memory?

Thanks
The late 2005 PowerMac G5 will use ECC RAM. The system you're referring to in the first sentence is called a Mac Pro. (just to avoid any confusion here).

drorpheus
Oct 31, 2012, 07:25 PM
Im pretty sure the entire G5 line both workstations and xserves can take ECC, I've used it on (June 2004) and (Early 2005) G5's as well as xserves.

orestes1984
Oct 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
G5 Xserves are ECC only.

Intell
Oct 31, 2012, 09:04 PM
While the PowerMac G5 line up will be able to use ECC ram, they will use it without the ECC being active on them. So it'd be like having regular ram in it. I'm unsure if the G5 iMacs can use ECC ram in a similar manner, but I would think they do.

Michael Anthony
Oct 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that no G5s used ECC memory, if they could take it then they didn't use the ECC function.

dime21
Nov 1, 2012, 01:04 PM
While the PowerMac G5 line up will be able to use ECC ram, they will use it without the ECC being active on them. So it'd be like having regular ram in it. I'm unsure if the G5 iMacs can use ECC ram in a similar manner, but I would think they do.

Bummer. :( Thanks for all the replies.

wobegong
Nov 1, 2012, 06:08 PM
All the final PM G5's ('Late 2005') take and fully support ECC and so long as every stick is ECC (and not ECC/Non-ECC mixed) then ECC WILL be active.

Cox Orange
Nov 3, 2012, 07:24 PM
I once had to test SD-RAM sticks and found out, that a PowerMac G4 AGP will take ECC-RAM, though I bet it doesn't make use of it.
For the G5, there is an apple document about it, search for it.