PDA

View Full Version : Screen Sharing between Mountain Lion and Tiger

parish
Oct 31, 2012, 05:03 PM
rMBP running 10.8.2 and a G3iMac running 10.4.11 Tiger.

When I try and use Screen Sharing on the MBP to connect to the G3 it prompts for both a username and password. I enter a valid user and pw but it fails with

Authenication failed to "Ruby".

Please verify you have entered the correct name and password.

Third-party VNC clients, e.g. JollysFastVNC on my MBP and Remoter on my iPhone, can connect fine, but they only request a password.

Any ideas?

slomo86
Nov 8, 2012, 02:54 AM
rMBP running 10.8.2 and a G3iMac running 10.4.11 Tiger.

When I try and use Screen Sharing on the MBP to connect to the G3 it prompts for both a username and password. I enter a valid user and pw but it fails with

Authenication failed to "Ruby".

Please verify you have entered the correct name and password.

Third-party VNC clients, e.g. JollysFastVNC on my MBP and Remoter on my iPhone, can connect fine, but they only request a password.

Any ideas?

Are you using the correct user name and pw for the G3 system? If not then you will get this error.

Jethryn Freyman
Nov 8, 2012, 03:35 AM
That would be because Screen Sharing was introduced in Leopard. Tiger doesn't have it. You can't use Screen Sharing with anything below Leopard. Tiger simply can't understand the commands for the "Screen Sharing" function. It does however run client software for Apple Remote Desktop, so that would be your best bet. Love that thing.

Hope this helped :)

parish
Nov 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
That would be because Screen Sharing was introduced in Leopard. Tiger doesn't have it. You can't use Screen Sharing with anything below Leopard. Tiger simply can't understand the commands for the "Screen Sharing" function. It does however run client software for Apple Remote Desktop, so that would be your best bet. Love that thing.

That's great, thanks for explaining.

P.S. Sorry for the slow reply but I've been away on holiday.

TreeSemdyZee
Jan 5, 2013, 04:15 PM

Not true.

Go into System Preferences>Sharing on the Tiger machine and check Apple Remote Desktop.

You will then be able to share the screen from your 10.4.11 to the MBP with 10.8.2. I do it all of the time.

edit: You also have to go into the Access Privileges... of Apple Remote Desktop and add the user(s) that you want to give screen sharing preferences to. Just because a user is on that machine, doesn't mean that user has privileges to use the screen sharing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=838&pictureid=2554
http://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=838&pictureid=2555