PDA

View Full Version : iPod Firmware Update?

CubaTBird
Sep 7, 2005, 09:23 PM
So do we also get a free firmware update so we can take advantage of those nice lookin' clocks? hehe :o

pdpfilms
Sep 7, 2005, 09:37 PM
Gosh darn, i started a thread about this over an hour ago and it just dissapeared....

But yeah, I hope we get this update as well... That lock looks nifty!

Whyren
Sep 7, 2005, 09:58 PM
According to the Updater (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/), everything but the nano is the same. For now, at least...

Still waiting for Notes on my 2nd gen. iPod... :p

shidoshi
Sep 7, 2005, 10:04 PM
Hopefully we'll get a new firmware update that non only gives us non-nano people the new features, but also fixes Smart Playlists.

Whyren
Sep 7, 2005, 10:14 PM
An update would be almost inevitable anyway to get the nested folders from iTunes 5 working on iPods, wouldn't it?

pdpfilms
Sep 7, 2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah, i noticed the folders don't get loaded on to the iPod...

That's a little lame.

dejo
Sep 7, 2005, 11:08 PM
...but also fixes Smart Playlists.

shidoshi, fixes them in what way? Is there a problem with them?

balamw
Sep 8, 2005, 12:25 AM
shidoshi, fixes them in what way? Is there a problem with them?
I'm not sidoshi, but I know what he means.

Certain simple smart playlists (SPLs) used to update on the fly in the iPod. For example if you had a SPL that included all five star tracks, and you changed the rating of a file to be five stars, it would get added to the SPL without syncing the iPod to its mother library. Another onr I used to use was "Not Recently Played" or "Unrated" SPLs that would update on the fly. It never worked for more complicated SPLs that depended on other SPLs.

Unfortunately this broke hard a few updates ago. You need to sync your iPod to have any smart playlists be updated.

B

dejo
Sep 8, 2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the clarification, balamw. I understand now and think that probably is a problem. Didn't doubt there might be some kind of issue; just needed the details. Again, thanks.

shidoshi
Sep 8, 2005, 02:45 AM
Yup, that's it; I have a five-star smart playlist set up so that I can add and remove songs I like at any particular time easily. Ever since the last firmware update, it no longer works.

DJY
Sep 8, 2005, 05:54 AM
Updates for older iPods? Mmm I wish!
I still have a 3G 40GB iPod - and 3G iPods have missed out on the last few updates!

Mmm do like the look of the iPod nano though...

dpclark
Sep 10, 2005, 06:11 PM
maybe they are waiting for another ipod release, say in paris before releaseing a new firmware release pack?

Demon Hunter
Sep 10, 2005, 06:56 PM
What does this clock look like?