PDA

View Full Version : Podcast sync to iPod question

mrgreen4242
Sep 7, 2005, 10:00 PM
Is there a setting that will sync the single oldest unheard to podcast for each subscription?

I see settings for all unheard, newest, all, etc, but what makes the most sense to me is to have the first unheard episode in the series on my iPod at any given time.

I tried to come up with a smart playlist for it, but I couldn't think of a way to do it. I could do it by hand, but I am finally getting all my smart playlists and whatnot setup in a way that gets what I want on my iPod everytime I plug it in without having to actually do anything... Any ideas?

Bedawyn
Sep 13, 2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks! You solved my problem before I asked -- I was trying to figure out why my iTunes-downloaded podcasts weren't syncing even though my iPodderX-downloaded ones worked just fine. Had forgotten there was another setting you had to fuss with (still don't know why they have to treat the podcast files as if they were something special).

Now, let's see if I can say something useful about your problem. I have a smart playlist called Podcast Radio, which has two ALL criteria: Playlist = Up to Date Podcasts and Playlist = Unheard or Recently Played. The Up to Date Podcasts playlist identifies, by album or artist, each individual podcast that I'm listening to regularly (not including the ones I'm testing out or have a backlist of eps to hear), and the Unheard or Recently Played playlist cuts out those that I've already listened to (once in a while, I'll save a listened-to podcast) while preventing the ones I've just listened to from aging off before I have chance to manually delete them. So the Podcast Radio playlist ends up having all the podcasts I listen to on a regular basis, and only the latest episode of each -- which is also the first unheard episode of each. More than one ep could appear on the list, but only if I wasn't listening regularly or deleting promptly. I have a separate playlist that includes all the backlisted eps to catch up on during the next power outage or whatever.

But I have a suspicion that's not quite what you're asking about. It seems you want one that will include the first episode of multiple backlists as well as up-to-date podcasts? Is that correct? I'll play around a bit and see what I can come up with.