Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomstarboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
What the title says.

I'm under the impression that if you install Windows under Boot Camp with a Fusion drive, Windows won't have access to the SSD. So would it make more sense to choose the 256gb SSD over the Fusion drive?

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I think the best option would be to get the fusion drive, install windows on the 128gb SSD and get an additional external usb3 or thunderbolt SSD for OSX. The internal 1TB drive would be used as storage.

That is if you can disable fusion drive and see it as the two seperate disks that it is.

I am in the same boat as you, but I want to get the new imac and with it there doesn't seem to be a 256gb SSD option, only 768gb which is going to be very very expensive.

I guess we will find out when someone gets his fusion drive mini and tests these scenarios.

SF-Theater

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
What the title says.

I'm under the impression that if you install Windows under Boot Camp with a Fusion drive, Windows won't have access to the SSD. So would it make more sense to choose the 256gb SSD over the Fusion drive?

I got the 256gb SSD for this very reason. Programs on the SSD (for both), potentially some speed sensitive/frequent data as well and most data (pictures, music, movies) stored on a NAS. My first Mac, so have to have Boot Camp / parallels for certain programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.