Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit is currently working on a teardown of the iPad mini, revealing the internal components of the device for the first time.

One interesting development is the discovery of a Samsung display driver chip. It is unclear, however, whether this means that Samsung is also responsible for the display itself, as the codes found on the back of the display do not provide immediate evidence of its manufacturer. Display production had been reported to be split between AU Optronics and LG, with Samsung being left out on the iPad mini.

ipad_mini_a5.jpg
iPad mini's A5 chip
The teardown has also reached the logic board, revealing the A5 chip powering the device. The A5 chip found in iFixit's model carries date codes indicating that the package was put together in the 31st week of 2012, which would correspond to the end of July or the beginning of August.

ipad_mini_speakers_teardown.jpg
iPad mini's stereo speakers
iFixit has also confirmed that the iPad mini contains stereo speakers, although the relatively small spacing between the two speakers means that the benefit of stereo sound will be marginal under most scenarios.

iFixit's teardown is still underway, and we will update this post with any additional observations of interest that may surface.

Article Link: iPad Mini Teardown Reveals Samsung Display Driver, A5 Chip, Stereo Speakers

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If its a Sammy display driver then surely its a Sammy display?

I'm more curious about how much RAM its sporting.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I'm gonna reattach one ear to the other side of my head for better stereo reception.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
So it's a small iPad 2. Unless you want a smaller tablet, an iPad 2 refurb is a better choice IMHO.

Jeans89

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
So the Apple's iPad selection is now:

1. Stereo devices:
- white iPad mini
- black iPad mini

2. Mono devices:
- white iPad2
- black iPad2
- white new iPad (4 gen)
- black new iPad (4 gen)

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
So it's a small iPad 2. Unless you want a smaller tablet, an iPad 2 refurb is a better choice IMHO.

Your statement makes zero sense. Do you not understand that the iPad "Mini" is intended for people that want a smaller tablet?????? This seems to be a foreign concept to many people in this forum. How is an iPad 2 refurb a better choice for someone that is shopping for an iPad Mini? Will the iPad 2 fold up somehow?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

I actually think they should kill off the iPad 2. Its still more expensive than the mini brand new and only marginally cheaper than the retina, and it lacks Siri. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.

Last edited:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I feel like a split brain patient.

In one hemisphere I am happy with my Samsung galaxy Tab 2 7.0 yet I have a strange feeling as I watch my other hand reach for my credit card and progress towards the iPad Mini in the online Apple store.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012

The entire point of this device is that it's a smaller tablet. If you don't want a smaller tablet, of course a bigger tablet is a better choice.

Shop

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
They should add a couple more speakers and have 'L' and 'R' follow the orientation.

kralnor

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Your statement makes zero sense. Do you not understand that the iPad "Mini" is intended for people that want a smaller tablet?????? This seems to be a foreign concept to many people in this forum. How is an iPad 2 refurb a better choice for someone that is shopping for an iPad Mini? Will the iPad 2 fold up somehow?

Because people were under the incorrect assumption that the iPad mini was going to be a "budget iPad" for people who didn't really want a smaller screen, but were willing to make do with one in order to save a few hundred bucks. These people cant accept the fact that they were wrong. These people also have not paid attention to anything apple has done in the past 7-8 years.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
iFixit has also confirmed that the iPad mini contains stereo speakers, although the relatively small spacing between the two speakers means that the benefit of stereo sound will be marginal under most scenarios.

Which is why Apple didn't even mention it during the launch methinks. There's some other objective here: to minimise the chance of sound loss by accidentally covering the speaker with your hand; or to generate more volume from a thinner enclosure; or maybe Cook just gave in… 'Yes, I know they want stereo! But the iPad's too small to… Oh what the hell, let them have stereo. An extra speaker costs us, what, 23 cents?'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.