Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThePie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
I pre-ordered the iPad Mini for my son for Christmas. It is set up to deliver tomorrow. This will be his first idevice and he has no account with iTunes. Let me first say that I am fairly new with apple products so I am not very well versed with Apple products or how to set things up. I do have 2 iPhones and a iPad2 that are all on the same iTunes account. The guy at the Apple Store set them up for me. So with that said, I am needing to know if it is possible to set up an iTunes account for my 12 year old son (on his own so he will not be linked in with our account) without having to use my Credit Card as I have with my own account. I don't want him to have "Free use" of my Credit Card nor do I want to have to withhold the password from him and have to type it in everytime he wants to download an app, ect. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
You can buy him apps via your account, just don't give him your iTunes password. Apps will now update sans password.

Have him create a personal Apple ID for iMessages and iCloud.

Else he's going to need his own iTunes account.

Note: IMHO take your CC off the account and just restock via iTunes cards (often on sale). You can then give him your account password and just keep an eye on the balance.

ThePie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
You can buy him apps via your account, just don't give him your iTunes password. Apps will now update sans password.

Have him create a personal Apple ID for iMessages and iCloud.

Else he's going to need his own iTunes account.

Note: IMHO take your CC off the account and just restock via iTunes cards (often on sale). You can then give him your account password and just keep an eye on the balance.

Thanks for replying. I tried to figure out how to remove my CC off my account but only see where it allows me to just replace it with a different CC. Is there a way to open him an account with only an iTunes gift card?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Welcome.

PS I iTunes cards often go on sale at the big box stores like Best Buy. A $50 card will go for $40 so keep your eyes peeled.

ThePie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Welcome.

PS I iTunes cards often go on sale at the big box stores like Best Buy. A $50 card will go for $40 so keep your eyes peeled.

I will keep an eye out. Thanks again very much, you've been very helpful as I just got him an iTune account created without using my CC and he can use the iTunes giftcards.
Selena

----------

I do have one more question? I have his account logged in on iTunes but I can still see my library and apps and my devices on the left. Is it soppose to be that way or have I done something wrong? We only have one computer in the home so the account will have to be accessed from the same computer. I guess I was just assuming that I wouldn't see "My stuff" when logged into his Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.