Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I have an mkv file that I have created from a blu-ray disc of mine - it's about 26gb, and has the video in h.264, and the audio in dts 6ch (according to mp4tools - latest beta version). It was ripped using makeMKV, and I only selected the dts audio, not the dts-hd version. I have been trying to remux (not re-encode) to an mp4 using mp4tools (also tried Subler), but it seems that it's taking a very long time - possibly over an hour, it was about half way after half an hour when I stopped the process. I'm using a 2011 MBP 13", 2.3 GHz i5, running OS X 10.8. When I loaded the file in to mp4tools, I selected the passthrough options for both audio and video, thinking that would be the option to remux as opposed to re-encoding.

Should remuxing take this long? I was hoping it would be a very quick process (a few minutes), but maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick about how long it'll take... Or have I just done something wrong?

Thanks,

Dave.

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
If you are trying to remux to play on an Apple TV, you will need to convert the DTS to Dolby Digital.

For me remuxing an mkv with h.264 and DTS to an mp4 and converting the DTS to 640kbps DD + a 2ch AAC doesn't take more than a couple minutes at most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.