PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Safari 6.0.2 for Mac

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2012, 04:28 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/01/apple-releases-safari-6-0-2-for-mac/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/safari.jpgApple today released a new version of Safari (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222) for Mac, bringing the browser up to version 6.0.2. The update is available through the Mac App Store or Software Update. However, full update notes are not yet available.
Safari 6.0.2

Safari 6.0.2 is recommended for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 and includes security updates. For more information, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 6.0.2 for Mac (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/01/apple-releases-safari-6-0-2-for-mac/)

Nov 1, 2012, 04:29 PM
Error message showing up when trying to download here - will try again tomorrow.

xlii
Nov 1, 2012, 04:31 PM
Installed and running ok.

scottfreeman
Nov 1, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'm getting the following error when trying to update to Safari 6.0.2. Looks like a common problem.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)

iPhoto and XCode updated successfully.

Slashpat
Nov 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
with errors

Microcuts
Nov 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
Security changelog can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5568 (for a very short time this link was on the HT1222 page, but they removed it.)
Really interesting, they are crediting people for finding these security gaps. Has that happened before?

I also get the error when trying to download by the way.

dokkey
Nov 1, 2012, 04:35 PM
I get an error when trying to install... :eek:

Patriot24
Nov 1, 2012, 04:35 PM
I was able to download and install the update without incident.

I really wish Apple would invest a little more in Safari. There are a couple of obvious features that all other browsers have that, if implemented in Safari, would push me to dump Chrome and use Safari as my daily driver.

MrVinney96
Nov 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
Can't download anything. It's giving me an error code. When I press OK, the update disappears.

kk1ro
Nov 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm also unable to download this update.

Getting this error:
"The operation couldn’t be completed.
(NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)"

Keleko
Nov 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
I take back what I said earlier. It downloads Aperture, attempts to install, then restarts the download. I can't get it to successfully install.

nikomakhos
Nov 1, 2012, 04:44 PM
Nothing but errors in here as well. Get it together Apple.

herr_neumann
Nov 1, 2012, 04:46 PM
Google docs working again?

bigjobby
Nov 1, 2012, 04:56 PM
Yep and as already mentioned, errors. *sigh*

Yamcha
Nov 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
Yup same error..

oldcelt
Nov 1, 2012, 05:02 PM
Ditto. In UK if of any relevance.

Prallethrin
Nov 1, 2012, 05:02 PM
I really wish Apple would reduce Safari's memory usage. At no point should "Safari Web Content" use up 1.99GB of RAM!!!

mag01
Nov 1, 2012, 05:07 PM
If you're having troubles updating via MAS try the direct download (I've got only the URL of the ML build): swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg
(removed the "http://" from the beginning so that it doesn't create a direct link from here)

ZenErik
Nov 1, 2012, 05:10 PM
I really wish Apple would reduce Safari's memory usage. At no point should "Safari Web Content" use up 1.99GB of RAM!!!

I agree. I have 16GB of RAM at my disposal, but Safari still shouldn't constantly be using 2GB of it.

musio
Nov 1, 2012, 05:10 PM
any l performance updates listed on the apple changelog?

iBug2
Nov 1, 2012, 05:11 PM

Depends on what you are doing. If I'm actually opening 150 tabs, then I don't mind Safari using 4GB.

psykick5
They better be fixing the memory issue and the graphics issues. That crap has been here for four months.

terriyaki
Hanging for me too.

dethmaShine
Nov 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
I was able to download and install the update without incident.

I really wish Apple would invest a little more in Safari. There are a couple of obvious features that all other browsers have that, if implemented in Safari, would push me to dump Chrome and use Safari as my daily driver.

Oh! At least name them?

Safari has always worked great for me. I've never been able to get a stable release of Chrome on the Mac. Issues with either the RAM consumption, lag when scrolling or pinching. A mini second of faster access won't change my life though.

Baklava
Nov 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry, but Chrome > Safari

Xano
Nov 1, 2012, 05:26 PM
I agree. I have 16GB of RAM at my disposal, but Safari still shouldn't constantly be using 2GB of it.

i have 8GB and safari is eating 1/4 of my ram.

Lomak
Nov 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
I get the error, too

I have multiple updates 'ready' for me but generate the same error when I attempt

I am in the UK , also

Prallethrin
Nov 1, 2012, 05:31 PM
Depends on what you are doing. If I'm actually opening 150 tabs, then I don't mind Safari using 4GB.

I have like maybe 8-10 tabs open ... 2GB RAM. -_-

And this builds up over time - it's almost feels like a memory leak.

Safari should just purge the old's pages from RAM and keep it's memory usage under 1GB - 1GB at most or scale it with the number of tabs.

Firefox doesn't use that much RAM (FF is actually the most efficient with RAM I noticed), even Chrome doesn't use that much (more than FF but significantly less than Safari).

I have only 4GB of RAM. A web browser eating up half of it, leaving no free RAM, slowing stuff down (as the OS starts purging things out to HD) is not acceptable.

gborre
Nov 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
Same error message for me as mentioned in this thread

(NSURLErrorDomain fejl -3001.)(102)

Neither of the 2 updates (Safari + iPhoto) is possible:(:(

boomer0001
Nov 1, 2012, 05:39 PM
Mine updated fine, and at this time seems to have fixed some issues with Retina displays flickering (gifs, new pages not loading correctly). I'll update if I'm wrong later, haven't had much time to use it and see.

But it does seems that safari is using less resources and is a but snappier.

daneoni
Nov 1, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hanging for me too.

Ditto.

The Bulge
Nov 1, 2012, 05:41 PM

Safari should just purge the old's pages from RAM and keep it's memory usage under 1GB - 1GB at most or scale it with the number of tabs.

Firefox doesn't use that much RAM (FF is actually the most efficient with RAM I noticed), even Chrome doesn't use that much (more than FF but significantly less than Safari).

I have only 4GB of RAM. A web browser eating up half of it, leaving no free RAM, slowing stuff down (as the OS starts purging things out to HD) is not acceptable.

You can find a specific set of web sites where your browser of choice starts using more RAM due to some bug or whatever reason.

I personally am using Safari since 2.0 version and have never had a single problem with it and biggest RAM usage i've seen was ~800 MB.

joe-h2o
Nov 1, 2012, 05:44 PM

You use AdBlock right?

It has a memory leak with Safari that causes the browser to just eat RAM over time. I solve it by restarting Safari every couple of days which seems to be the best compromise. The alternative is turning of AdBlock and I'd rather punch myself repeatedly in the face than do that.

Prallethrin
Nov 1, 2012, 05:47 PM
You use AdBlock right?

It has a memory leak with Safari that causes the browser to just eat RAM over time. I solve it by restarting Safari every couple of days which seems to be the best compromise. The alternative is turning of AdBlock and I'd rather punch myself repeatedly in the face than do that.

You are kidding me ...

/sigh

I will give it a shot ... when i can get Safari to update.

Bazooka-joe
Nov 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
The error message seems to be happening all over the world. Websites are full of people reporting the problem.

RenoGuy
Nov 1, 2012, 05:56 PM
Having read the error comments here, and having a 2 day old TM Machine backup, I took a shot. I chose to install each update SEPARATELY....Safari, Raw Camera, I Photo etc. Have no idea if that was any answer but I also repaired permissions as well.

Preliminary tests show all (inc Safari) updates working fine on my Mid 2011, 21.5, 12 Gig, IMAC so far

As with the clear cache option (in developer menu of Safari), CCleaner shows that THAT cache clearing DOES NOT WORK and NEVER did in ML!

Luck to all!

jpmd
Nov 1, 2012, 06:14 PM
Now 4 updates are available: Safari, Aperture iPhoto and Camera Raw: same error message that all of you got... (... ERROR -3001). And it is not the first time with updates coming from the app store !

digitalove
Nov 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
Same problem here

Asclepio
Nov 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
Scott never would've let this happen

Rizzn
Nov 1, 2012, 06:46 PM
The lack of a unified search bar kept me from using safari before. Now it's the lack of tab icons. The icons on other browsers make for seemless tab navigation rather then constantly needing to read the text.

KiwiAdventure
Nov 1, 2012, 07:02 PM
What's up with Apple. Their seems to be a lists of problems with new products. It's getting frustrating with updates and hardware problems

Seem to be getting worse in the last 12 months.

Cannot update because I have the same error as everyone else:confused:

nerdfighter
Nov 1, 2012, 07:06 PM
The solution right now is wait or direct download:
wcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

munkery
Nov 1, 2012, 07:29 PM
Mountain Lion = error.

Lion = installed but dl periodically stalled for a few seconds from time to time; usually dl is smooth.

Chrome has weak protected storage.

Safari uses Keychain.

BTW, this update fixes a webkit vulnerability that was used to fully exploit Chrome running on Windows 7 but wasn't exploited in Safari running on Mac OS X.

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2012-5112

----------

You use AdBlock right?

Ever try GlimmerBlocker? (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29689/glimmerblocker)

It is a local host filtering proxy.

It isn't as flexible as ad block in terms of per ad per page filtering control.

But, it is system wide, updates filters automatically, and increases browser performance rather than impose on performance.

iforbes
Nov 1, 2012, 07:41 PM
All joking aside...it really is snappier!

Michaelgtrusa
Nov 1, 2012, 07:47 PM
Took a long time but I did update all three.

Yamcha
Nov 1, 2012, 07:54 PM
Can't believe I still can't download it yet, It's been a few hours since release.. I'm getting the same error..

Prof.
Nov 1, 2012, 07:54 PM
Oh joy! Safari is now slower on my 2012 MBP... :rolleyes:

frexer
Nov 1, 2012, 08:09 PM
cant update

Prof.
Nov 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
It took 33 bounces for Safari to finally open up and load. :mad::mad::mad:

TsMkLg068426
Nov 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
I got the same Error (102), I closed the App store and launched it again and it finally installed. I seriously not liking everything being updated through the app store because this has not been the first time I have gotten strange errors. Apple seriously needs to update the app store.

RenoGuy
Nov 1, 2012, 08:36 PM
The solution right now is wait or direct download:
wcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

Even though my download(s) appear to work fine, figured I would try your link....It does not appear valid here! I also only have Safari on my Imac. IMHO, the trade offs to Chrome are not worth having any google "INVASIVE" software on any of my computers!

I presume that with all the "ISSUES", there will either be a "pull" and/or reworked version of the Safari update! Like the Infamous "CUI" error on that Lion Update!

Having had Imacs for over 7 yrs, I am appalled at the number of problems that Apple updates W/ FAILURES that have been steadily INCREASING! Yes, the OS's and updates are more complicated that previously, but it appears that testing and QC have been just thrown away!

It is not like The company needs more revenue, so there should be a bit less push on new product and more "push" on QC on what is out there!

One of the worst was the cui error in Lion that I still have not forgotten. That was really my 1st MAJOR update error on OSX.

Luckily I actively use TM and also have a Windoze 7 pc. I always had MUCH more confidence in my Apples that my Windoze Pcs. Now I am not so sure about either!

It is also quite possible that some of these issues are brought forward by pre-existing problems in installations that were never noticed!

works of wisdom AGAIN!

BACKUP...BACKUP... BACKUP!

Baytriple
Nov 1, 2012, 08:53 PM
If you are getting errors. Go to the apple downloads page and download them separately. I haven't found a safari download yet.

SpyderBite
Nov 1, 2012, 09:03 PM
Updated and no errors or resource consumption issues here.

MaC rA mE
Nov 1, 2012, 09:09 PM
Try this, works for me.
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0 n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

Aidan5806
Nov 1, 2012, 09:16 PM

Out of genuine curiosity, what features would you like to see added to make it better than everything else?

Namtaro
Nov 1, 2012, 09:17 PM
Still getting a 102 error when trying to update from the App Store. Restarted a few times and still nothing. Not going to bother with it since it's not a major update.

vendini
Nov 1, 2012, 09:24 PM
You can get the direct update link here :
swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

md4peace
Nov 1, 2012, 09:39 PM
If you're having troubles updating via MAS try the direct download (I've got only the URL of the ML build): swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg
(removed the "http://" from the beginning so that it doesn't create a direct link from here)

I used this link from mag01 and there was no problem - downloaded and installed in a few seconds.

ghostface147
Nov 1, 2012, 09:53 PM
I had to reset Safari after the update. It kept hanging loading several webpages I visit. Works fine now.

iforbes
Nov 1, 2012, 10:12 PM
Weird...no errors for me?

Patriot24
Nov 1, 2012, 11:35 PM
Oh! At least name them?

Safari has always worked great for me. I've never been able to get a stable release of Chrome on the Mac. Issues with either the RAM consumption, lag when scrolling or pinching. A mini second of faster access won't change my life though.

Out of genuine curiosity, what features would you like to see added to make it better than everything else?

I wouldn't say that there are huge omissions, rather a multitude of smaller items that add up to something large.

Move the tabs to the top of the interface. There are common UX reasons for this, such as a natural flow of information from top to bottom and reducing the visual impact of the tab/omni box area. You'll notice that Chrome for Mac minimizes the space by placing the traffic lights and full screen control on the same row as the tabs rather than them having a dedicated row. Safari uses this space to duplicate the page title that already exists on the tab
Allow users to pin tabs. This exists in pretty much every modern browser except Safari
Add favicon support on tabs. Especially when pinning, it is easier to navigate tabs by image than it is to read the text on each tab
Move the "Open in new tab" above the "Open in new window" option in the right-click menu. It makes no sense to default to open new window in this age of tabbed browsing
Unify address bar and search bar. - This was only recently done in 10.8
Add "Duplicate Tab" option when right-clicking a tab
Allow multiple homepages
Sync all browser data/settings/passwords to iCloud (encrypted, of course). This is a standard feature on most modern browsers. Safari only syncs bookmarks today
Encourage more development of 3rd party extensions/themes. The library for Safari is severely lacking compared with Firefox or Chrome. This is a BIG one
Enable site translation tools as a standard feature. As someone who regularly visits sites in various languages, Chrome's translation tools are extremely valuable

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones off of the top of my head. There are a lot of great things about Safari, it just needs a little love.

wutang01
Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 AM
The Safari icon has turned non-Retina?
Link removed

BeejayUK
Nov 2, 2012, 12:42 AM
Worked for me using the Swedish link. No probs so far......

Macman45
Nov 2, 2012, 12:44 AM

Getting this error:

Same here...Apple really need to stop releasing buggy code...It does them no justice. Best advice is to wait it out until they fix this.

wutang01
Nov 2, 2012, 12:54 AM
The Safari icon has turned non-Retina?

PS: Never mind guys! Restart fixed the non-Retina icon :)

AirThis
Nov 2, 2012, 01:35 AM
Same error message as others here. Can't download.

Namtaro
Nov 2, 2012, 01:45 AM
swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

Thanks! Worked perfectly. :)

musio
Nov 2, 2012, 01:51 AM

Haha! Best post I've read all week!

Lunarstone
Nov 2, 2012, 02:15 AM

AirThis
Nov 2, 2012, 02:27 AM
The direct download doesn't work either for me. Guess I'll have to wait for Apple to fix it. :cool:

Yptcn
Nov 2, 2012, 02:32 AM
Direct download link worked fine for me :) 3 mn and it was done .

Reason077
Nov 2, 2012, 03:57 AM

Not like it used to. Since they added "searching in the URL bar", Safari's UI is much more bearable and IMO better than Chrome's now. Safari doesn't have annoying things like Chrome's awkward non-standard print dialog.

The iCloud features of Safari are great. I use reading list a lot, and its really rather cool how your browsing history and open tabs from your desktop are immediately available on your iPad/iPhone. One of those features that becomes extremely useful when you need it.

The one area where Chrome still soundly beats Safari, for me, is automatic translation. Extremely useful and something I wish Safari had too. I guess it's another example of Google's more global/multicultural outlook compared to US-centric Apple

Performance wise, it's a wash. They both use the same underlying rendering technology (WebKit) anyway. Then again, for some reason, Safari just feels snappier(tm) :)

roxxette
Nov 2, 2012, 04:28 AM
Got a growl update here, everything seems fine and ok; will let you guys know if something is not right.

Macman45
Nov 2, 2012, 04:51 AM
Try this, works for me.
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0 n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

That link has been pulled too...As I posted before, it's best to wait until they sort this out..Why they continue to mess up software updates is beyond me. :mad:But that's for another thread.

newfoundglory
Nov 2, 2012, 05:02 AM
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

HelveticaNeue
Nov 2, 2012, 05:12 AM
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

Thanks! Worked perfectly.

dafish
Nov 2, 2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks! Worked perfectly.

Yup, done the trick. thanks

hestroy
Nov 2, 2012, 06:03 AM
Still with an unusable web inspector? I'm happy with Safari 5.

luist3k
Nov 2, 2012, 06:11 AM
What's wrong with Apple lately?

Every time I'm about to hit that Update button I feel fear.

Is Apple moving to the dark side? :apple::eek:

Mike MA
Nov 2, 2012, 06:12 AM
No updates but error messages.

nsaamiller
Nov 2, 2012, 06:20 AM
Get an error message to close Safari, but Safari is closed, as is everything else but the app store. Tried reload the app store window, open/close Safari, but don't really want to hard reset/reboot. Heck, this is exactly why I left MS. At least there was a task manager to kill processes.

Seriously? I just closed a Safari menu bar...no windows showing...and voila? Apparently I am just a noob. But should it be that arcane?

S

Shearwater
Nov 2, 2012, 06:52 AM
Get an error message to close Safari, but Safari is closed, as is everything else but the app store. Tried reload the app store window, open/close Safari, but don't really want to hard reset/reboot. Heck, this is exactly why I left MS. At least there was a task manager to kill processes.

Seriously? I just closed a Safari menu bar...no windows showing...and voila? Apparently I am just a noob. But should it be that arcane?

S
Did you close Safari or quit Safari? You need to quit

JGRE
Nov 2, 2012, 06:55 AM
The lack of a unified search bar kept me from using safari before. Now it's the lack of tab icons. The icons on other browsers make for seemless tab navigation rather then constantly needing to read the text.

I agree, but not only for the tabs but also for the bookmarks. Why can we just ad an icon for a bookmark instead of stupid text? You would be able to place far more bookmarks than with tekst (only).

musio
Nov 2, 2012, 07:26 AM
I agree, but not only for the tabs but also for the bookmarks. Why can we just ad an icon for a bookmark instead of stupid text? You would be able to place far more bookmarks than with tekst (only).

glims is the answer

Sven11
Nov 2, 2012, 07:26 AM

Same message. Does anyone know a solution?

TheRainKing
Nov 2, 2012, 07:27 AM

Getting this error:

http://i49.tinypic.com/8z43zs.jpg

AdeFowler
Nov 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
Still getting the error here, though only for Safari. iPhoto downloaded without a problem. I'm told it is related to DNS but it seems strange that one would download but not the other.

Downloaded the standalone installer.

Shearwater
Nov 2, 2012, 07:40 AM
I think Safari feels schnappier with the Swedish update!!.....:)

Mike07335i
Nov 2, 2012, 07:45 AM
Direct download worked for me..

Mike

Jeans89
Nov 2, 2012, 07:51 AM
Can't download it. We need management changes in Apple. Out goes Federighi.

kemo
Nov 2, 2012, 08:09 AM

Thank you for the link, this helped me install the update, since I was getting error installing update via App Store app.

----------

Same error message as others here. Can't download.

try this:

----------

Image (http://i49.tinypic.com/8z43zs.jpg)

Seems like there should be underneath: "Well, not this time...":(

----------

Direct download link worked fine for me :) 3 mn and it was done .

3 mins? O.o you are on 56kb/s line ?:)

pips7000
Nov 2, 2012, 08:32 AM
Apple are aware of this problem they said servers are down:eek:

gabochakal
Nov 2, 2012, 08:37 AM
Hi, I have a trouble, when I was trying to update to safari 6.0.2 and iPhoto update, I had a problem and then I can´t see the icons on sidebar in finder.

The Finder Don't show the icons! How can I doż?

on preferences in finder everything is ok but I don´t see the icons on sidebar

Please Help me, g.mi@msn.com

MBP 13´´Late June 2012, Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Nov 2, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hi, I have a trouble, when I was trying to update to safari 6.0.2 and iPhoto update, I had a problem and then I can´t see the icons on sidebar in finder.

The Finder Don't show the icons! How can I doż?

on preferences in finder everything is ok but I don´t see the icons on sidebar

Please Help me, g.mi@msn.com

MBP 13´´Late June 2012, Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Ya I had that problem too. Simple solution, restart.

KimJongEun
Nov 2, 2012, 09:15 AM
Not working for me from the App Store either.

I'm in South Korea but I gather that it is happening everywhere. Oh well.

pianophile
Nov 2, 2012, 09:22 AM
Updated last night, with no errors, hangs, or other issues. An uneventful update.

pips7000
Nov 2, 2012, 09:22 AM
The Download linked worked for me :)

EDWW
Nov 2, 2012, 09:39 AM
Downloaded last night from the App store. No problems.

fishmoose
Nov 2, 2012, 09:52 AM
Any word on when the issue of updating from the Mac App Store will be resolved? I can't download it via the MAS here in Sweden.

D.T.
Nov 2, 2012, 09:58 AM
My resource utilization seems way down from the previous version, same browsing habits, typically 5-8 tabs, a few extensions.

:cool:

SimonTheSoundMa
Nov 2, 2012, 10:30 AM
I think there is a problem with the MAS altogether. Trying to download a number of apps. One was fine, one app from the logs fails checksum every time, others download about 20MB and start over again.

Draft
Nov 2, 2012, 11:01 AM
Getting the same error many people have had here. None of the direct download links people have posted work either..

uk1simon
Nov 2, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have spoken to Apple support, there is a problem with the particular server dealing with the Safari update, should be fixed with 24 hours. Try again tomorrow.

ersatzplanet
Nov 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
Downloaded from the App Store first time no problem. I hope that this new version doesn't crash as many times as the last one did - which was VERY often. I was getting really snarky in the comment field of the error report that it generated. If this doersn't fix things I will get WAY more snarkier...

roosta
Nov 2, 2012, 12:57 PM
download went ok, but i'd like to reinstall 6.0.1

tried to order from dominos with the new version last night and safari would not remember anything i had input, including passwords and address.
same thing earlier today with jib jab.

used firefox to order last night and it worked, so it wasn't a dominos problem.

and still no activity in the develop menu. big fail for me.

Nov 2, 2012, 01:40 PM
STILL giving the same error over here! What the **** is wrong with Apple these days? I haven't seen this kind of lax behavior by the company since at least the late 90s.

Memo to Apple: Take a tiny part of your BILLIONS and REFOCUS resources on OS X - after all, iOS wouldn't have existed without it.

ThatGreekMacGuy
Nov 2, 2012, 03:02 PM
HAS ANOYONE HAD THE PROBLEM MANAGED TO UPDATE? PLEASE I'VE BEEN TRYING TO UPDATE SAFARI FOR THE LAST 24HOURS BUT NO LUCK. Sorry for caps rage :P

----------

The Download linked worked for me :)

Can you post the download link for us, please? Just click the "Reply" button under this post and type in the download link because I cannot find it mate.

poobear
Nov 2, 2012, 03:10 PM
Couldn't download through Software Update, got "(NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)" error. Gave up and just downloaded from http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/53/02/041-8081/2jwp4wjrwygtm4lc608qy4h0n4a9yyq37g/Safari6.0.2Mountain.pkg

munkery
Nov 2, 2012, 03:12 PM
Can you post the download link for us, please? Just click the "Reply" button under this post and type in the download link because I cannot find it mate.

This one worked for me.

SuperSnake2012
Nov 2, 2012, 03:21 PM
Downloaded fine from the app store last night. Fixed my issue loading .gifs on my rMBP, which was really annoying.

Mine updated fine, and at this time seems to have fixed some issues with Retina displays flickering (gifs, new pages not loading correctly). I'll update if I'm wrong later, haven't had much time to use it and see.

But it does seems that safari is using less resources and is a but snappier.
So far I'm seeing the same results, which is a relief.

BSben
Nov 2, 2012, 03:43 PM
Still the same error message after all this time, whatever happened to Apple?
Their hardware is expensive, and I expect the software to work. At the moment it all goes wrong and now even their own App store fails to update their software.I am really disappointed, a very poor performance from Apple.
Being an Apple Fan has become a difficult task at times, they are far too slow at reacting to criticism and problems.
This is not a major issue, but it shows off their current poor performance even more.

Bodycalming
Nov 2, 2012, 04:15 PM
Safari update downloading now from App Store:D Look OK, so far:rolleyes:

razmarino
Nov 2, 2012, 04:16 PM
fixed

musio
Nov 2, 2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe it's not apples fault. Update worked on my MacBook but not on my imac. I get the error everybody else has.

Not many pages of complaints vs those who got it working across the world

craig45
Nov 2, 2012, 05:09 PM
Updated Safari, iPhoto and Aperture without any problem (early '09 Mini).

ThatGreekMacGuy
Nov 2, 2012, 05:20 PM

This one worked for me.

OMG! Thank you so much. You're a king.

Nov 2, 2012, 05:22 PM
Edit: Finally worked for me from MAS...seems like their servers are back to normal.

oldcelt
Nov 2, 2012, 05:49 PM
Yes, finally worked for me too.

uk1simon
Nov 2, 2012, 06:06 PM
All seems to be working now :-)

shurcooL
Nov 2, 2012, 08:09 PM
Tried the update just now again, and it worked on both Macs at my home. I haven't changed anything, so it seems Apple has done something on their side to make it work.

roxxette
Nov 2, 2012, 08:22 PM
So far growl is working with no issues but adium did crash early today.

Tucom
Nov 2, 2012, 09:03 PM
Is this for Mountain Lion users only? Are 10.7 Lion users now done for ever as far as updates and support goes?

roxxette
Nov 2, 2012, 09:08 PM
Is this for Mountain Lion users only? Are 10.7 Lion users now done for ever as far as updates and support goes?

Dont think so, growl works on Lion too with no problem.

Tucom
Nov 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
IS this Safari update for Mountain Lion users only, or does it include 10.7 Lion users too?

maximum428
Nov 3, 2012, 02:21 AM
Don't know if anyone knows this, but when you install this update yahoo is now the default search engine.

Dane_Ja

www.levelsmagazine.com

jjhoekstra
Nov 3, 2012, 03:49 AM
Don't know if anyone knows this, but when you install this update yahoo is now the default search engine.

Dane_Ja

Not on my computers. Updated an iMac, a MacPro, a rMBP, 3 minis and a MBA and not one has now yahoo as default search engine.

pommie82
Nov 3, 2012, 04:00 AM
Seems to be working fine here for me and a bit quicker on load up time too

roxxette
Nov 3, 2012, 04:39 AM
OMG these is a thread about the new safari, sorry for the growl posts.

poobear
Nov 3, 2012, 06:07 AM

Dane_Ja

www.levelsmagazine.com
Not here.

thasan
Nov 3, 2012, 02:18 PM
i have 8GB and safari is eating 1/4 of my ram.

Probably Adblock?

Tucom
Nov 3, 2012, 02:21 PM
For the third time: Is this update only for Mountain Lion users or for 10.7 Lion users as well?

shurcooL
Nov 3, 2012, 03:03 PM
For the third time: Is this update only for Mountain Lion users or for 10.7 Lion users as well?
I don't have Lion so I have no direct way to find out, yet I was still able to find out. Just look at the corresponding security article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5568

It says the update is for OS X Lion v10.7.5, OS X Lion Server v10.7.5, OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2.

Tucom
Nov 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
I don't have Lion so I have no direct way to find out, yet I was still able to find out. Just look at the corresponding security article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5568

It says the update is for OS X Lion v10.7.5, OS X Lion Server v10.7.5, OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2.

Thanks, glad Apple hasn't abandoned Lion yet.

nortonjg
Nov 3, 2012, 08:27 PM
anyone have link to 6.0.2 for lion 10.7 the mountain lion one does not work on 10.7?

munkery
Nov 3, 2012, 11:12 PM
anyone have link to 6.0.2 for lion 10.7 the mountain lion one does not work on 10.7?

Software Update on Lion worked for me.

einsteinbqat
Nov 4, 2012, 12:49 AM
Safari 6.0.2 address/search bar behaviour:

Previously, the unified address/search bar removed the http:// or https:// part, put the focus on whatever came before the first forward slash, and greying out whatever that comes afterwards, i.e. forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=16220883

Now, with the updated version, whatever that comes after that first forward slash exists no more. Well not really. It's there, but hidden. You will see the whole address only if you click inside the address/search bar. Otherwise, all that you see now is forums.macrumors.com no matter on what page you are.

georgespeedo
Nov 4, 2012, 01:44 AM
I lost the ability to stream Hulu, cbs, shows... wtf is going on.... also local streaming of radio audio.... come on guys.... fix it....

theanimaster
Nov 4, 2012, 01:03 AM
It's gotten WORSE for me!!! Aside from the fact that text STILL DISAPPEARS as you type it, now there are blocks of mis-rendered webpage elements that appear! Way to go Apple. Good f--- up.

----------

Previously, the unified address/search bar removed the http:// or https:// part, put the focus on whatever came before the first forward slash, and greying out whatever that comes afterwards, i.e. forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=16220883

Now, with the updated version, whatever that comes after that first forward slash exists no more. Well not really. It's there, but hidden. You will see the whole address only if you click inside the address/search bar. Otherwise, all that you see now is forums.macrumors.com no matter on what page you are.

Isn't like that with me, but I'm not surprised with the inconsistency. I bet others aren't getting the disappearing text but I still am!!

Icy1007
Nov 4, 2012, 02:48 AM
Safari has started crashing on me when I click the new tab button sometimes. This only started happening after updating to 6.0.2.

johannar
Nov 4, 2012, 03:02 AM
Like others are saying, not working for me too.

Macneck
Nov 4, 2012, 06:04 AM
I am about to buy my first Mac. I have an iPad, iPod, blablah, but never had a Mac computer and thought to give it a try. It's "a big try" for me considering it's average price -I don't want an entry level iMac-, but I am tired of the PCs constant problems and thought that maybe Apple was worth the money according to sooo many -and intense- comments from mac users.

I've been using PCs since the monochrome era, no HDD, no Windows... since the early days. It was fun in those years. Always learning, trying things, adapting, discovering, solving things... sure many of you know well what I mean. Now I am getting kind of old and I start to be real tired of error messages and the typical MS Windows crap. I neither have the time and energy to fine tune a Linux system. Now I just need a TOOL that does what I want it to do when I need it. I thought Power+Reliability=Mac until reading threads like this or after the problems and bugs I've experiencing in my iPad since I updated to iOS 6. My "new iPad" was smooth and perfect until I updated... just a few days before they showed up with their "new-new iPad"

So, what's going on with Apple? Is it becoming kind of an exclusive Microsoft since Mr Jobs left? Am I going to start dealing with error messages and problems after every update? Planned obsolescence? I need some light here.

Nov 4, 2012, 07:48 AM

Wrong. The whole address shows up fine here. And no Yahoo search change either.

razmarino
Nov 4, 2012, 08:31 AM
I am about to buy my first Mac. I have an iPad, iPod, blablah, but never had a Mac computer and thought to give it a try. It's "a big try" for me considering it's average price -I don't want an entry level iMac-, but I am tired of the PCs constant problems and thought that maybe Apple was worth the money according to sooo many -and intense- comments from mac users.

I've been using PCs since the monochrome era, no HDD, no Windows... since the early days. It was fun in those years. Always learning, trying things, adapting, discovering, solving things... sure many of you know well what I mean. Now I am getting kind of old and I start to be real tired of error messages and the typical MS Windows crap. I neither have the time and energy to fine tune a Linux system. Now I just need a TOOL that does what I want it to do when I need it. I thought Power+Reliability=Mac until reading threads like this or after the problems and bugs I've experiencing in my iPad since I updated to iOS 6. My "new iPad" was smooth and perfect until I updated... just a few days before they showed up with their "new-new iPad"

So, what's going on with Apple? Is it becoming kind of an exclusive Microsoft since Mr Jobs left? Am I going to start dealing with error messages and problems after every update? Planned obsolescence? I need some light here.
well, sht happens.. even with apple. but in overall - its a good deal & you wont be dissapointed. just 2cnts

einsteinbqat
Nov 4, 2012, 09:11 AM
It's gotten WORSE for me!!! Aside from the fact that text STILL DISAPPEARS as you type it, now there are blocks of mis-rendered webpage elements that appear! Way to go Apple. Good f--- up.

----------

Isn't like that with me, but I'm not surprised with the inconsistency. I bet others aren't getting the disappearing text but I still am!!

I'll try installing it again!

throAU
Nov 4, 2012, 09:19 AM

What is going on, is that you are reading complaints from the few people who have had issues, and thus felt the need to post. For every issue you read about on the internet there are many people who have NOT had any issues, and thus see no reason to post about it.

Macneck
Nov 4, 2012, 10:47 AM
What is going on, is that you are reading complaints from the few people who have had issues, and thus felt the need to post. For every issue you read about on the internet there are many people who have NOT had any issues, and thus see no reason to post about it.

Yeah, you may be right, but I myself have had issues in my short experience with Apple while updating my "new" iPad twice in 4 months since i bought it. That's why the warning light. And some bugs are still unsolved in the 6.0.1 version I updated this morning (with error message included -again- at the end of the process). My expensive hardware does not work as smooth after updating, then they release the "new-new" iPad a few weeks later and now I read threads like this... Only a few users? Impossible to know. Don't bother to ask Apple.

It's like with my SGS2 phone. I have started thinking about an iphone exclusively because the Kies app works TERRIBLE since the very moment I started to use it. I definitely don't want that with a Mac or I will be feeling like... you know... after spending so much money.

You are right that for every complaint there must be lots of people enjoying their products, but also many who don't get to cry out loud or at least not in this site. Anyway, that's philosophy. I just need to know wether buying a Mac will save me from stupid tech problems every now and then.

charlituna
Nov 4, 2012, 01:35 PM

Not true. Depending on what that content is it might.

But if you mean it shouldn't jump from 300 mb to 1.99 GB with five tabs open in one window and none of them are streaming stuff like Pandora or Netflix, well I agree with that.

east85
Nov 4, 2012, 01:42 PM
I've reset Safari and these updates still have done nothing to fix this quirk. At least I can say it hasn't been crashing like it used to.

http://i.imgur.com/uLsT8.jpg

Notice in the preview the whole page isn't displayed. Just a portion is rendered. This is abnormal. Not a big deal, but still...

charlituna
Nov 4, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah, you may be right, but I myself have had issues in my short experience with Apple while updating my "new" iPad twice in 4 months since i bought it. That's why the warning light. And some bugs are still unsolved in the 6.0.1 version I updated this morning (with error message included -again- at the end of the process).

The guy that was responsible for the division that creates and QAs that software was fired last week. Make no mistake, no matter what all the blogs say, it was as much about this as his being an asswipe or the Maps issue. A number of folks on various sites said from the start that it felt like Forstall was getting carried away with the cute little touches and it seems they were correct. Too much time on unneeded cute and not enough in debugging. Apparently Forstall tried to put all the blame on Cook telling him no more field testing after the loss of the iPhone 4 and alleged loss of an iPhone 4S so Forstall didn't bother testing on at least those units much less a 5

----------

Scott wasn't in charge of that division.

And he did things with his division that were just as nasty. Have you tried to update an iPhone 5 to iOS 6.0.1. Takes two passes cause Scott's not so awesome software is buggy and won't OTA install on a 5 without first updating the updates software.

Oops, looks like maybe Scott did let it happen, in his own way

jazz1
Nov 4, 2012, 01:51 PM
I can see why they pulled it. It seemed slower and I was getting the beach ball way more often than the previous version. I also gave it my 60 tab torture test and it did way worse than the older version.

I could not get the previous version back via Time Machine. I got an error saying it was a system resource or something like that. So I had to do a Recovery Disk re-install of the system to get it back. I'm testing it now.

Why do I fall for these updates when they are new. I guess I only have myself to blame.

Arelunde
Nov 4, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised there are so many problems with the Safari update. I haven't had any issues and Safari is even faster, snappier than before - and I have Verizon's "high speed" DSL at 3 mbps. However, I did do a hard reset after each update (Safari, iPhoto and Aperture). Perhaps that made a difference??

coder12
Nov 4, 2012, 07:54 PM
Still with an unusable web inspector? I'm happy with Safari 5.

I didn't like it at first either, but after a few times of use I began to love it. Couldn't imaging going back now.

macjunk(ie)
Nov 5, 2012, 03:05 AM
keeps crashing when I open a link in a new tab/window...Happens often enough that I have lost forms with filled in data, in-progress bank transactions..Very, very unreliable!! I am surprised this is not getting that much of limelight!

roxxette
Nov 5, 2012, 03:09 AM
keeps crashing when I open a link in a new tab/window...Happens often enough that I have lost forms with filled in data, in-progress bank transactions..Very, very unreliable!! I am surprised this is not getting that much of limelight!

OMG i though i was alone in that one, if i have 2 tabs open and open another one it will crash or sometimes if i click a link/new window :( when i open it again safari resumes to the old tabs most of the time (not the last ones i open) and works fine again.

Macneck
Nov 5, 2012, 06:17 AM
The guy that was responsible for the division that creates and QAs that software was fired last week. Make no mistake, no matter what all the blogs say, it was as much about this as his being an asswipe or the Maps issue. A number of folks on various sites said from the start that it felt like Forstall was getting carried away with the cute little touches and it seems they were correct. Too much time on unneeded cute and not enough in debugging.

Sad... and scary! It sounds so much like Microsoft. I expect more from Apple considering their own propaganda. I'd rather wait some time after these new Macs show up to read people's problems/impressions on them before I empty my pockets. How went that saying?... "Coolness" is human, but reliability is divine!

Thanks for sharing!

ste0x
Nov 5, 2012, 07:56 AM
Wrong. The whole address shows up fine here. And no Yahoo search change either.

I'm having the same issue - only the domain shows up until you cmd+l. I really don't like this but there's nothing in preferences & nobody seems to have found a defaults write for it.

edit, screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/HMLic.png

ooans
Nov 5, 2012, 09:47 AM

I have the exact same problem. Super annoying!

ladymacintosh
Nov 5, 2012, 10:29 AM
Sad... and scary! It sounds so much like Microsoft. I expect more from Apple considering their own propaganda. I'd rather wait some time after these new Macs show up to read people's problems/impressions on them before I empty my pockets. How went that saying?... "Coolness" is human, but reliability is divine!

Thanks for sharing!

Early adopters will always be the ones to have the most issues. I always wait a bit and read the results after a release- software or hardware, and then when it seems most of the stuff is worked out, usually in a couple months, I take the plunge.

As far as Apple's product quality, I would say they are still the best even if they appear to be going through a rough patch since Steve's departure. I do believe that the recent restructuring will make a very positive difference and bring back what we love about Apple. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Apple product. Even if you don't like your experience and decide to go back, the resale value alone is worth trying it out. Try reselling a Windows machine for half of what you bought it for a few months out of the box, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck to you!

Nov 5, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm having the same issue - only the domain shows up until you cmd+l. I really don't like this but there's nothing in preferences & nobody seems to have found a defaults write for it.

edit, screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/HMLic.png

Did you try deleting Safari preferences, clearing cache and restarting? I definitely do NOT have such a problem.

Macneck
Nov 5, 2012, 12:25 PM
Early adopters will always be the ones to have the most issues. I always wait a bit and read the results after a release- software or hardware, and then when it seems most of the stuff is worked out, usually in a couple months, I take the plunge.

As far as Apple's product quality, I would say they are still the best even if they appear to be going through a rough patch since Steve's departure. I do believe that the recent restructuring will make a very positive difference and bring back what we love about Apple. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Apple product. Even if you don't like your experience and decide to go back, the resale value alone is worth trying it out. Try reselling a Windows machine for half of what you bought it for a few months out of the box, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for your support. You just hit the nail on the head. I guess it's what i wanted to hear. I will sit back and relax a little... Easier said than done!:rolleyes: Time... and users will tell. To be honest, I can't wait to have my first mac and too bad things should go with Apple for me not to give it a try. I hope there will be no turning back for me, but that depends on them.

ste0x
Nov 5, 2012, 12:33 PM
Did you try deleting Safari preferences, clearing cache and restarting? I definitely do NOT have such a problem.

Yeah I totally purged everything related to Safari. It feels like it's by design rather than a bug, extremely weird it's only happening for some people.

JGRE
Nov 5, 2012, 03:17 PM
glims is the answer

Thanks for the tip, glims resolves some of Safari short falls.:)

ersatzplanet
Nov 6, 2012, 12:04 AM
have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.

ersatzplanet
Nov 6, 2012, 12:13 AM
have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.

ersatzplanet
Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.

dzhiurgis
Nov 6, 2012, 03:13 AM
Downloaded fine from the app store last night. Fixed my issue loading .gifs on my rMBP, which was really annoying.

So far I'm seeing the same results, which is a relief.

I have same better issues. The annoying flickering GIFs look fixed. However, I have a new issue, of some random artefacts appearing. They are usually square or long stripes with some moving dots inside. Really strange. I tried to disable AdBlock but that didn't help any. I think it might to do with DivX plug-in I installed recently, but I am not sure yet.
I uploaded some sample images here: http://imgur.com/a/6DxDN

AppleMacFinder
Nov 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
Error message showing up when trying to download here - will try again tomorrow.

Getting this error:

Could be solved by:
1) Reconnecting to the Internet
2) Relaunching Mac App Store
3) Restarting the computer
4) Using "Clean My Mac" to remove the temp files.
And even if that doesn't help ("Clean My Mac" sometimes misses some temp files) :
5) Using "Find Any File" to find and manually remove the temp files, related to old version of this software

In most cases, steps 1) - 3) are enough.

phoenixsan
Nov 6, 2012, 06:46 PM
about Safari. Being a early adopter when Safari first goes out, in most Mac machines the thing becomes a resource hog. Too many treads here about Safari memory leaks, using too much processor and so on. Also, using a Windows PC sometimes, I am disappointed about no further development in Windows. So, I hope with the recent changes in Apple management, they deliver products that works, are efficient and sleek (mantra of Apple doing) no something to meet a deadline:):apple:

attila
Nov 7, 2012, 09:04 AM
Does it remove that horrible developer web inspector?

macjunk(ie)
Nov 7, 2012, 09:26 AM
So, I hope with the recent changes in Apple management, they deliver products that works, are efficient and sleek (mantra of Apple doing) no something to meet a deadline:):apple:
+1
That is when we get our money's worth!

I have the exact same problem. Super annoying!
Got rid of the problem. Using Chrome:D
It is slick. The only thing I miss in it is a three finger tap to bring up the definition of a word.

jypatl
Nov 7, 2012, 09:34 AM
+1
Got rid of the problem. Using Chrome:D
It is slick. The only thing I miss in it is a three finger tap to bring up the definition of a word.

The three finger tap does work on Chrome.

allan.nyholm
Nov 7, 2012, 09:52 AM
I had a different error code in relation to downloading Safari 6.0.2 and iTunes 10.7 the other day. An 'error 103' which made the software updater stop giving me the updates after none of them was installed - neither Safari nor iTunes went on to be installed when this error came up.

I went looking inside the system to try and let Mac App Store give them to me again to install, by clearing caches, but no such luck. The Software Update prefpane on the other hand said that there indeed was updates for me to install - no such thing in MAS.

I went scouring the internet for an answer and found something but really nothing related to my issue that could help me move forward. I was left no choice but to install Safari and iTunes from links provided here and from Apple.com - So thanks to those posting the link to Safari.

macjunk(ie)
Nov 7, 2012, 04:40 PM
The three finger tap does work on Chrome.
Thanks. You are right. But I guess it is not very willing sometimes. For e.g., I am not able to get it working on macrumors..very strange.

bronxred
Nov 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
I can't tell if I'm being psyched out by the progress bar or if Safari really is speedier with this update, but it's not crashing on me anymore. If I wasn't used to opening dozens of tabs in Chrome, I might try and switch back.

Anyone know of a good keyboard shortcut extension for Chrome to get Safari's functionality for quickly opening of your first nine bookmarks? So far all the extensions bite and it's the one thing about Safari I really miss...

jalebibai
Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 AM
its not working on my cel