Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I don't know which if the two models to pick. I currently use a 2009 model and I constantly get the beach ball, so I've decide to swap it for a new one. But I don't know which to choose. Is the more expensive one considerably better?

I mainly use it for browsing and watching movies. I don't play games on it. But I need it to run quick, I'm getting tired of loading times :)

----------

I'm also considering the cheaper one with 8GB RAM versus the more expensive one just as it is, no upgrades. Don't know which is faster of these two..?

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I don't know which if the two models to pick. I currently use a 2009 model and I constantly get the beach ball, so I've decide to swap it for a new one. But I don't know which to choose. Is the more expensive one considerably better?

I mainly use it for browsing and watching movies. I don't play games on it. But I need it to run quick, I'm getting tired of loading times :)

----------

I'm also considering the cheaper one with 8GB RAM versus the more expensive one just as it is, no upgrades. Don't know which is faster of these two..?
2.3GHz with 4GB of Ram and upgrade the RAM to 16GB for under $80.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
As in upgrade the RAM myself? I did that on the 2009 model I currently have, but isn't it more difficult now that everything is packed in so tight?

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Lol okay. And I take it the more expensive model is considerably faster than the cheaper one? Sorry, but I'm a total noob when it comes to computer specs

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Lol okay. And I take it the more expensive model is considerably faster than the cheaper one? Sorry, but I'm a total noob when it comes to computer specs
Im prejudice since I have both versions of the i7 so I'd recommend either of the 2.3 or 2.6 i7 Quad core.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Im prejudice since I have both versions of the i7 so I'd recommend either of the 2.3 or 2.6 i7 Quad core.

ooo you got both! guinea pig time! just kidding. But seriously, did you get them both for roughly the same tasks? or did you expect to need more horsepower from one of them for a specific application?

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
ooo you got both! guinea pig time! just kidding. But seriously, did you get them both for roughly the same tasks? or did you expect to need more horsepower from one of them for a specific application?
The 2.3 I use for work with a Dell s2340l IPS Monitor. I purchased the 2.6 for home and have a ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED IPS Monitor.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
So can I just buy an extra block of 4GB ram and then my total is 8, or is there 2x2GB in now, meaning I'll have to take them out and put on 2x4GB blocks?

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
You can save yourself a bunch of money if you figure out what is causing the beach ball effect. A 2009 Mini shouldn't be choking on the kind of things that you are doing with your Mac. My 2006 iMac with its RAM maxed-out at 3GB doesn't have the kind of problems your considerably faster Mini is exhibiting.

But if you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new Mac... Never Mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.