Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Given my relatively unpleasant experience with the ios 5 to 6 upgrade, it was with great trepidation that I updated my iPod touch 4g to ios 6.0.1, not knowing what awaited. I am happy to report that the update went off without any issues. I don't see any major improvement, but the iPod seemed more snappy. Could just be the reboots clearing memory, though.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Given my relatively unpleasant experience with the ios 5 to 6 upgrade, it was with great trepidation that I updated my iPod touch 4g to ios 6.0.1, not knowing what awaited. I am happy to report that the update went off without any issues. I don't see any major improvement, but the iPod seemed more snappy. Could just be the reboots clearing memory, though.

Uhm, it's natural that you won't see any major improvements. This update is mainly a BUG-FIX update, meaning that it patches loopholes in the system and correct errors that are present in 6.0. Improvements would most likely come in 6.1.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

How is the appstore now? Still Laggy?

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Still on 5.1.1 as I didn't want to lose some of the features. 6.0 watching vids made ipod touch 4g slow. Curious to see if these problems are fixed in 6.0.1:

-Booting up the touch 4g takes 45+ sec on 6.0 while on 5.1.1 takes about 25 sec. Any faster?

-Opening stock apps such as settings or camera. Are they faster or still very slow?

-Lower FPS on apps mainly games. 6.0 made touch 4g slow to open and slow to play.

-How is the battery life? Have read that 6.0 drains battery quicker than 5.1.1 did. This will need a day or two to accurately determine.

-App Store crashing when trying to search.

-Crashes to Safari? I know 4g only has 256MB RAM but 6.0 (and even 5.1.1) made Safari crash far more often which is annoying (as this also means all background apps have to reload). Although on 5.1 Safari never crashed on me. An example of this:

1:20-1:35 mark

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Still on 5.1.1 as I didn't want to lose some of the features. 6.0 watching vids made ipod touch 4g slow. Curious to see if these problems are fixed in 6.0.1:

-Booting up the touch 4g takes 45+ sec on 6.0 while on 5.1.1 takes about 25 sec. Any faster?

-Opening stock apps such as settings or camera. Are they faster or still very slow?

-Lower FPS on apps mainly games. 6.0 made touch 4g slow to open and slow to play.

-How is the battery life? Have read that 6.0 drains battery quicker than 5.1.1 did. This will need a day or two to accurately determine.

-App Store crashing when trying to search.

-Crashes to Safari? I know 4g only has 256MB RAM but 6.0 (and even 5.1.1) made Safari crash far more often which is annoying (as this also means all background apps have to reload). Although on 5.1 Safari never crashed on me. An example of this:

1:20-1:35 mark

I had all those issues when i initially upgraded from ios6. An ipod restore cured most of the ills.

Booting takes around 30 seconds. The stock apps do open faster. Temple run works ok. My battery life has always been horrible, so can't comment on it. The appstore opens up faster than before. It didn't stutter, like it used to. Safari works fine, on all the sites that I have tried.

If you are on ios 5.1.1, my advice would be to stay there. Ios6 is more of a downgrade, IMO.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I had all those issues when i initially upgraded from ios6. An ipod restore cured most of the ills.

Booting takes around 30 seconds. The stock apps do open faster. Temple run works ok. My battery life has always been horrible, so can't comment on it. The appstore opens up faster than before. It didn't stutter, like it used to. Safari works fine, on all the sites that I have tried.

If you are on ios 5.1.1, my advice would be to stay there. Ios6 is more of a downgrade, IMO.

Yeah I'm thinking of restoring my touch by going to setting-reset-Erase All Content and Settings" option. Did you set up as new iPod after restore? The problem is my touch automatically downloaded 6.0 so not sure if I do erase all, it will come back to 5.1.1 or 6.0?

Besides the Apple iPhone tab webpage, can you try going to google news desktop version. Wait for the page to load and double tap on a section. It always crashes.

For reference, on my touch 1st gen, its slow to load and move around the page but it does not crash. And this is with music playing on the background. 4g simply crashes immediately.

Agree that 6.X is a downgrade and no point on touch 4g.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yeah I'm thinking of restoring my touch by going to setting-reset-Erase All Content and Settings" option. Did you set up as new iPod after restore? The problem is my touch automatically downloaded 6.0 so not sure if I do erase all, it will come back to 5.1.1 or 6.0?

Besides the Apple iPhone tab webpage, can you try going to google news desktop version. Wait for the page to load and double tap on a section. It always crashes.

For reference, on my touch 1st gen, its slow to load and move around the page but it does not crash. And this is with music playing on the background. 4g simply crashes immediately.

Agree that 6.X is a downgrade and no point on touch 4g.

if u restore and start as new ipod then welcome to ios 6.0.1. Apple just wont let you decide which fw to use with your device. Anyway, i always think the newer, the better. Or get urself touch 5G.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
if u restore and start as new ipod then welcome to ios 6.0.1. Apple just wont let you decide which fw to use with your device. Anyway, i always think the newer, the better. Or get urself touch 5G.

I know this is the case when using iTunes to restore but I'm talking straight through the iPod. Go to settings-reset-Erase All Content and Settings option. I assume if I do this it will come with 5.1.1 (since I'm currently on 5.1.1 but it automatically downloaded 6.0) but could be 6.0 as I'm not sure.

This is what I'm talking about:

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
BTW when I first got my 4g touch with 5.1 pre-installed, battery life was worse if not the same as my 1g touch which is almost 5 years old.

I did some research and turns out (at least on 5.1.1) if you go to settings-general-date & time-turn 'set automatically' off.

This boosted my battery life as it doesn't constantly check your time based on location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.