Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This move was inevitable. At least AMD hasn't been blinded by the whole 'my processor is faster' thing, like Intel. It's good to see that more companies are developing for the consumers, rather than for their pocketbooks and technology's sake. This has kinda been the whole idea behind Apple (or at least when Steve Jobs is in control...)

Of course, I still want a dual 1.8Ghz PPC970 :D

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Well, this paragraph says it all to me:

AMD, which has fought a losing battle in recent quarters against Intel Corp. for the top spot in processor speed and performance, said that making semiconductors smaller, cheaper and faster was no longer the key for an effective strategy.
So what are they going to do? Make them larger, more expensive, and slower? It sounds like they're looking for new markets and richer revenue streams, because they've finally accepted the fact that they can't be profitable with their current business strategy. The Opteron will be a great product; it's a shame nobody will buy it. It sounds to me like AMD will be gradually pulling out from the commodity processor space.

Sucks for all the AMD Mac knobheads...

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Yeah really...

Originally posted by alex_ant
So what are they going to do? Make them larger, more expensive, and slower? It sounds like they're looking for new markets and richer revenue streams, because they've finally accepted the fact that they can't be profitable with their current business strategy.

Yes, they don't make any clear indication of a strategy change here. Are they going to concentrate on embedded processors and give up the vanity of the PC market? Or are they going to only sell into the server and high-end workstation space with large, expensive chips?

I have heard some noise about Opterons being pushed for servers. OTOH I still hear other noise about Athlon 64 (Clawhammers) in desktops.

The 64-bit revolution won't be as shattering as the 32-bit revolution, but it will be a major upheaval nonetheless. I still have hopes for the PPC 970 being the leader there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.