PDA

View Full Version : need help!!!

nemo1617
Nov 2, 2012, 05:07 AM
my imac g4 suddenly wont turn on anymore it was working fine then suddenly i turn around and its off i tried turning it on several times but no luck :(

Jiggly Billy
Nov 2, 2012, 08:03 AM
I had a G4 iMac that suddenly "died" a few years back. Unplug it, put your ear up to the top vent, plug it back in and try to turn it on. If you hear a faint clicking sound, it has a dead power supply. I found a second hand one on Ebay and it was fine from that day on out, but keep in mind that the power supply is at the very top of the iMac, so replacing it is a time consuming, very tedious process. Not for the faint of heart that's for sure.

nemo1617
Nov 2, 2012, 11:06 AM
I had a G4 iMac that suddenly "died" a few years back. Unplug it, put your ear up to the top vent, plug it back in and try to turn it on. If you hear a faint clicking sound, it has a dead power supply. I found a second hand one on Ebay and it was fine from that day on out, but keep in mind that the power supply is at the very top of the iMac, so replacing it is a time consuming, very tedious process. Not for the faint of heart that's for sure.
thank u i just checked n yeah i heard the click :( lucky i have 2 g4's so ill use my other just dont know what too do with this one now i dont wanna trow it away and im to scared to mess with the inside

Intell
Nov 2, 2012, 11:25 AM
You can sell it as a broken iMac with a dead power supply. There are always people wanting a broken G4 iMac to mess with or fix.

nemo1617
Nov 2, 2012, 11:47 AM
You can sell it as a broken iMac with a dead power supply. There are always people wanting a broken G4 iMac to mess with or fix.

i think i might just turn it into a ipad stand i found a easy way to do it :)

Jiggly Billy
Nov 2, 2012, 12:47 PM
If you ever feel brave enough, a new PSU is $20-$45.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=iMac+G4+power+supply&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Guide is here

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+G4+17+800+MHz+EMC+1936+Fan/7037/1

But instead of unscrewing the fan, you'd unscrew both sides of the power supply :)