PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] iPad Mini vs Nexus 7- User Comparison

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 07:55 AM
So I picked up a iPad mini this morning and have been using a Nexus 7 tablet for the last few months and thought id share my first impressions.

1. Screen size- I like the fact that the screen is bigger/wider. The brightness and text look great. I have never used a retina device more then for a few minutes so it looks fine to me. The Nexus 7 would auto dim and then not come back to brightness a lot which was annoying, it would just randomly do it, not cause of any lighting changes. The Nexus 7 screen is still a good screen but the quality and colors are a bit lacking. I cant really notice the higher res difference either between the two.

2. Performance- The mini is fast and fluid, I have yet to encounter a slow down. The Nexus 7 had some browser lag and scrolling lag on the home screen, but overall it ran great as well. Both open apps very fast, and can run multiple apps at once fine.

Update: I have noticed while in the App store that when scrolling through a bunch of free apps while installing and downloading multiple apps the store begins to slow down a bit when refreshing the screen as you go down through the list. I have only noticed this when doing a ton of stuff at once. Anyone else have the same issue?

Wi-fi- The wifi performance is much better on the mini, sitting in the same room and same distance from my router with both devices I have full bars vs having half bars with the Nexus, also my Nexus had issues losing its wifi signal when waking up multiple times, requiring a reboot since I owned it. So far the mini does not have this issue.

3. Keyboard- The mini keyboard input is better. I like how it is bigger with the wider screen and the key input feedback just feels tighter and better executed. I have smaller hands and I can use both tablets just fine, and the mini actually feels a bit better using just my thumbs to type given the wider screen.

4. Apps- The main reason I switched to the mini was better apps and I can say it was a good switch. The same apps I have on my Nexus 7 are just overall better on the iPad Mini, plus I can finally use some apps that were missing from the google play store.

5. Build Quality- Hands down the mini,It feels great in your hands and is SUPER lightweight. The Nexus 7 a, being that it is cheaper also feels cheaper, but it did not feel like a plastic pos like some people make it out to be, it is a lightweight device that feels solid in your hands, although for some reason after holding it for awhile my palms wold hurt, which might be from the way the bezel is designed. For the money the build quality is okay, but you can tell for the extra price in the Mini the build quality beats it by far.

Overall- Both are great tablets, I like to try all different kinds of technology so it was not that i didn't like the Nexus 7, I just wanted better apps and to try an iPad for the first time, and so far I am glad I did. For the extra 129 dollars, I think most people that have not had a 7 inch tablet before and want to stay in the apple land of things will really enjoy this product. I do not think it is going to make all of the android 7 inch tablet fans run over to the apple side of things, but it does shake up the landscape a bit and for the money, is a solid device. I mean come on its 329 dollars, not like its the end of the world lol.

Hope you all enjoy my quick first impressions, thought some of you might care what a real user thinks and not haters/fan boys think lol.

nfl46
Nov 2, 2012, 07:59 AM
I agree! Nexus 7 specs may be better but at the end of the day, the build quality, app selection and flient OS beats the Nexus 7. However, the N7 is a great device for the cheap price.

Ctguy
Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 AM
I also have nexus 7, still waiting for my mini LTE. I wish it comes out today.

weezin
Nov 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the post. I currently own a Nexus 7 and will be getting my Mini today. The reason I purchased the Mini is the same reason as you...app selection.

I actually really like the Nexus 7. I find the screen to be good, the build quality to be good (and I like the rubberized back...a lot) and I enjoy Android (on a tablet anyway).

I'm looking forward to comparing these two devices and I imagine that your analysis is probably spot on.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the post. I currently own a Nexus 7 and will be getting my Mini today. The reason I purchased the Mini is the same reason as you...app selection.

I actually really like the Nexus 7. I find the screen to be good, the build quality to be good (and I like the rubberized back...a lot) and I enjoy Android (on a tablet anyway).

I'm looking forward to comparing these two devices and I imagine that your analysis is probably spot on.

So what apps does Apple have that the Android doesn't for you?

I use ~10-15 apps consistently (Pandora, Yelp, Citrix Receiver, mobile banking x3, weather, Adobe reader, Kindle app, news app, email, internet...etc.

At the end of the day, does 675,000 apps make a difference if part of that is 20 different calculator apps that are all basically the same, or 30 different alarm clocks? Really all I need is one good app for each function that I need it for. I could care less if there are a million apps.

mantan
Nov 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
A very good objective comparison.

I'm on the fence right now. I really wanted to love the Mini. On the announcment day I anticipated buying one for me on launch day and my daughter/mother-in-law for Christmas.

I'll probably still get the gift versions. I think it's a bit overpriced for a mini iPad 2, but they won't mind the non-retina screen.

But I'm having a hard time justifying a version for myself. I'm going a lot pickier about the display. I know I'll be KICKING myself next year when the second version comes out with a better screen. Yeah, yeah, I could sell it...but I hate being played for a sucker and being on an upgrade wagon every year.

Plus I really just want a device for business travel....to watch a movie or read a book on the plane, surf the web, use Netflix, social media, banking, etc.

It's either pay $200 now for a Nexus and full boat for a Mini next year. Or pay full boat for a Mini this year and sell it towards the new model next year. I'm on the fence....

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 11:51 AM
It's either pay $200 now for a Nexus and full boat for a Mini next year. Or pay full boat for a Mini this year and sell it towards the new model next year. I'm on the fence....

Why can't you get the Nexus this year and then sell it prior to getting the new iPad mini 2? You should be able to recoup $100-125 from it. Fairly close to the same amount you would lose on a iPad mini 16GB if you sold it next year ($329 to $225-$240 2nd hand). You might be up $15-20 with the mini but that isn't that significant of a difference.

4. Apps- The main reason I switched to the Mini was better apps and I can say it was a good switch. The same apps I have on my Nexus 7 are just overall better on the iPad Mini, plus I can finally use some apps that were missing from the google play store.

Which apps were you missing on the google play store that you now like? Also, which apps do you notice a big difference between the mini and N7? Thanks.

ActionableMango
Nov 2, 2012, 12:08 PM
I know I'll be KICKING myself next year when the second version comes out with a better screen. Yeah, yeah, I could sell it...but I hate being played for a sucker and being on an upgrade wagon every year.

Buy for $329. Sell for $250 one year later. You spent a whopping $6.70 a month, or about the same as a meal at Taco Bell.

Would you rather have an iPad Mini for a year, or 12 Taco Bell meals?

mantan
Nov 2, 2012, 12:35 PM
Buy for $329. Sell for $250 one year later. You spent a whopping $6.70 a month, or about the same as a meal at Taco Bell.

I could...but it's the being played for a sucker part I hate.

Apple gets my $329 coming and going. It's like I'm encouraging them to string out specs like this....

knucklehead
Nov 2, 2012, 12:36 PM

I use ~10-15 apps consistently (Pandora, Yelp, Citrix Receiver, mobile banking x3, weather, Adobe reader, Kindle app, news app, email, internet...etc.

At the end of the day, does 675,000 apps make a difference if part of that is 20 different calculator apps that are all basically the same, or 30 different alarm clocks? Really all I need is one good app for each function that I need it for. I could care less if there are a million apps.

Two very important ones for me are:

Bento 4 -- create your own custom productivity apps right on the iPad.

Scanner Pro -- I scan important documents in the field on a regular basis.

Plus, any reading, writing or productivity work in general, I would much prefer to do on the mini's wider 4:3 screen.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 12:41 PM
Two very important ones for me are:

Bento 4 -- create your own custom productivity apps right on the iPad.

Scanner Pro -- I scan important documents in the field on a regular basis.

Plus, any reading, writing or productivity work in general, I would much prefer to do on the mini's wider 4:3 screen.

Thanks. I agree about the 4:3 screen. One thing I have noticed from side by side test is that the N7 loads webpages slightly quicker than the iPad mini.

jsw
Nov 2, 2012, 12:42 PM
...my daughter/mother-in-law...
You have an interesting family. ;-)

hyteckit
Nov 2, 2012, 12:43 PM
Which apps were you missing on the google play store that you now like? Also, which apps do you notice a big difference between the mini and N7? Thanks.

It's kinda sad that my android tablet can't run some of my favorite games and work related apps even though they are android apps listed in the google play store.

It's just shows up as 'incompatible'.

Games like Dead Space.
Apps like RingCentral.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
It's kinda sad that my android tablet can't run some of my favorite games and work related apps even though they are android apps listed in the google play store.

Which tablet is that, n7? When you say incompatible are you running Jelly Bean?

hyteckit
Nov 2, 2012, 12:52 PM
Which tablet is that, n7? When you say incompatible are you running Jelly Bean?

I have the acer iconia running ICS.

Those apps run on my crappy android phone running gingerbread, but won't run on my iconia tablet running ICS.

Kinda stupid since my iconia tablet is more powerful than my crappy android phone.

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks. I agree about the 4:3 screen. One thing I have noticed from side by side test is that the N7 loads webpages slightly quicker than the iPad mini.

I think the Nexus may load pages a bit faster but the page scrolling experience is better on the mini, I had like 8 tabs up in safari and experience no lag going between them or scrolling. I was also installing a few apps. I was impressed with how it ran and handled the web given all that i was doing and the spec difference between the two, you have to love OS optimization

The one thing I do miss is having google chrome be my native browser that is integrated so well with android, but I am getting used to safari and so far so good.

----------

Lol good point. I mean 329 is not that much money in the grand scheme of things. I have owned so many different computer devices that once you buy them tank half or more in value in a few months after use. At least the apple devices have a really nice resale value. Granted with the iPad 4 coming out so fast the iPad 3 took a bit of a hit, but overall it s a nice market. Technology is technology, come to terms with the fact that they release new **** faster then we can buy it and enjoy what you have until your device can no longer keep up with your needs.

Everyone's needs are different, no point in fighting for one or the other, just get what works best for you and enjoy it.

MigsVuitton
Nov 2, 2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for this. Can you give some insight as to reading on both devices? After seeing the screen on the mini, I'm tempted to try out the Nexus 7 but if reading isn't much better, I'm definitely sticking with the mini. Thanks!

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for this. Can you give some insight as to reading on both devices? After seeing the screen on the mini, I'm tempted to try out the Nexus 7 but if reading isn't much better, I'm definitely sticking with the mini. Thanks!

I am actually glad you asked this question, I just downloaded my first free Ibook and opened it up, reading on the device is great. The Nexus 7 reading experience has also a good experience so I think it pretty much comes down to if you are able to hold a heavier device for longer periods of time or not. The mini having the weight advantage will def. help out people who have weaker hands or wrists. I have spent several hours reading forums on the mini so far prefer it on the mini do to the weight savings and bigger screen area for more webpage per inch.

With the Nexus I had to constantly scroll around the page with my fingers as I read from side to side when zoomed in. Also for some reason the Nexus hurt my palms when holding it in landscape mode for long periods of time where so far the mini does not seem to do it. But that might just be my hands.

OSMac
Nov 2, 2012, 03:39 PM
Nice post OP.

The best thing about the mini is iOS, the price on the Nexus is remarkable.

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
Nice post OP.

The best thing about the mini is iOS, the price on the Nexus is remarkable.

Yeah the price of the Nexus is great for the specs and entry into the tablet market. I will say one great feature about it being so cheap is that I was never worried about kids using it or anything like that cause if it broke i mean i wasnt going to have a heart attack over 200 dollars lol.

Although the build quality did have some drawbacks like a wide known issue that mine had where the screen would move when u pressed on the side bezels do to the screws not being tightened enough. Now if you wanted to take it apart and fix it you could. But i never bothered with it since I didnt feel the need to fix a brand new device I just got.

----------

I have the acer iconia running ICS.

Those apps run on my crappy android phone running gingerbread, but won't run on my iconia tablet running ICS.

Kinda stupid since my iconia tablet is more powerful than my crappy android phone.

Lets not forget that with the Andriod app store that even though it has lets say a few thousand tablet apps, they dont all work for every tablet,A great example of this was when I tried to get the new xbox smart glass app and it was not compatible with my device and then you get to only find out the fun way when you see one you want and try to install it and it wont let you. I think this is pretty bad when the newest tablet, cannot run some simple app, but is in the tablet app store. That was one thing that always really bothered me.

lianlua
Nov 2, 2012, 04:06 PM
If you know you're going to get an iPad eventually, you might as well just do it now. The iPad's resale value is going to be higher both in absolute dollars and as a percentage of original price.

If you want a Nexus 7, then by all means go for it--it's definitely the best 7" tablet for under $250. But it's not going to do anything for you that the iPad mini won't.
Why can't you get the Nexus this year and then sell it prior to getting the new iPad mini 2?
If it's essentially cost-neutral, and I agree that it is, then the point goes iPad. You'll already be in on the apps and you have a wider resale audience. You might get a good price for an Android tablet if you find the right buyer, but you'll definitely be able to unload the iPad.
I could...but it's the being played for a sucker part I hate.
How? The device you want today doesn't exist today from any manufacturer--because it can't. It might in the future. You're not being played for anything.
I have a Kindle Fire HD (same resolution and screen size), and the difference between the Fire/N7 and the iPad mini is basically the same as the difference between the iPad 2 and the mini. Whether that's a big enough difference is up to you.

Russiaone
Nov 2, 2012, 04:14 PM
The ONLY reason I'm thinking of picking up an iPad Mini is for the apps. Someone mentioned calculator apps galore on the app store; I bet there are many many many MANY more useless apps on the Google Play Store. And 99 percent of them are phone applications.

Anyway... Google really needs to do something about how very very crap the store is. Can't even find recently released stuff, w/o lots of guesswork.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 04:19 PM
I am actually glad you asked this question, I just downloaded my first free Ibook and opened it up, reading on the device is great. The Nexus 7 reading experience has also a good experience so I think it pretty much comes down to if you are able to hold a heavier device for longer periods of time or not. The mini having the weight advantage will def. help out people who have weaker hands or wrists. I have spent several hours reading forums on the mini so far prefer it on the mini do to the weight savings and bigger screen area for more webpage per inch.

With the Nexus I had to constantly scroll around the page with my fingers as I read from side to side when zoomed in. Also for some reason the Nexus hurt my palms when holding it in landscape mode for long periods of time where so far the mini does not seem to do it. But that might just be my hands.

You know what, I think the N7 is actually easier to hold now that I have been playing with both for awhile. The iPad mini is significantly wider than the N7. To the point if you try to one hand it (with some grip for traction) I feel the hand fingers are over extended. Since the N7 is much narrower I feel it is much easier to hold than the mini. This is in reference to holding the two in portrait mode.

I would disagree regarding the weight. They both feel basically the same. They are only ~1oz difference between them. Definitely not something my hands can pick up. I would call it a draw even though I know the iPad mini is lighter. I just don't notice it personally.

I think the Nexus may load pages a bit faster but the page scrolling experience is better on the mini, I had like 8 tabs up in safari and experience no lag going between them or scrolling. I was also installing a few apps. I was impressed with how it ran and handled the web given all that i was doing and the spec difference between the two, you have to love OS optimization

I also feel the N7 loads up youtube videos slightly faster than the iPad mini. I just wish I had the ability to test the two with some objective test instead of just testing them side by side and hitting the load button for the web page to load up. But so far, I would say the N7 loads pages ~1sec or so faster. This is not based off some scientific study at all.

If you want a Nexus 7, then by all means go for it--it's definitely the best 7" tablet for under $250. But it's not going to do anything for you that the iPad mini won't.

Under $250? Why not say best 7'' tablet under $200 (for 16GB)?

If it's essentially cost-neutral, and I agree that it is, then the point goes iPad. You'll already be in on the apps and you have a wider resale audience. You might get a good price for an Android tablet if you find the right buyer, but you'll definitely be able to unload the iPad.

I agree with you. Will be quicker/easier to unload the iPad mini. But as far money lost in the sale of the tablet after ~8 months you will probably be fairly close between the two devices. You will recoup more of your money % wise with the iPad mini (due to higher entry cost) than the N7, but the absolute difference in money lost from selling will probably be fairly close is my guess.

saintforlife
Nov 2, 2012, 04:23 PM
Also for some reason the Nexus hurt my palms when holding it in landscape mode for long periods of time where so far the mini does not seem to do it. But that might just be my hands.
Nope, it is not your hands. The Nexus 7 is a wide screen form factor, where as the mini is a 4:3. So in landscape mode, when you hold the Nexus 7, its Center of Gravity (CG) is further away from your hand because of the bigger cantilever owing to its wider screen. It is just basic physics. That is why 4:3 is the golden ratio when it comes to tablets, no 16:9 widescreen. Steve Jobs knew what good ergonomics was.

seajewel
Nov 2, 2012, 04:23 PM
You know what, I think the N7 is actually easier to hold now that I have been playing with both for awhile. The iPad mini is significantly wider than the N7. To the point if you try to one hand it (with some grip for traction) I feel the hand fingers are over extended. Since the N7 is much narrower I feel it is much easier to hold than the mini. This is in reference to holding the two in portrait mode.

The mini is definitely not a one-handed device for me. My hands are pretty small. I bet the N7 would be easier to hold. But the mini's very light and the extra screen estate is great.

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 04:26 PM
For me I can notice the weight difference, it feels more evenly distributed throughout the device. I have weaker wrists and hands, and no i am not an old man lol just how it is, probly from using computers for hours on end growing up and for my job. Yes it is wider but the thinner bezels on the side make it easier for me to hold with two hands and not cause it to make my palms sore after using it for awhile. I dunno to each their own. On paper it may not be a big difference but I notice it and prefer the mini.

I am not saying the Nexus 7 is heavy at all, and I would not say dont buy Nexus 7 cause its a brick, cause it is definitely not the case.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 04:32 PM
Nope, it is not your hands. The Nexus 7 is a wide screen form factor, where as the mini is a 4:3. So in landscape mode, when you hold the Nexus 7, its Center of Gravity (CG) is further away from your hand because of the bigger cantilever owing to its wider screen. It is just basic physics. That is why 4:3 is the golden ratio when it comes to tablets, no 16:9 widescreen. Steve Jobs knew what good ergonomics was.

The mini is definitely not a one-handed device for me. My hands are pretty small. I bet the N7 would be easier to hold. But the mini's very light and the extra screen estate is great.

So for my hands (5'11'' male, average build) the N7 is more comfortable in portrait mode than the iPad mini, and the iPad mini is more comfortable in the landscape mode than the N7. It really is quite noticeable.

lianlua
Nov 2, 2012, 04:39 PM
You know what, I think the N7 is actually easier to hold now that I have been playing with both for awhile. The iPad mini is significantly wider than the N7.
That is true for one-handed use (at least if you hold it by grasping the edges from behind).
Under $250? Why not say best 7'' tablet under $200 (for 16GB)?
Because that's limiting to the Nexus 7. The N7 is better than the whole crop of $250 tablets, too. Honestly, it's the best tablet at any price in the 7.0" size. Whether it's better than the iPad mini as well comes down to individual preferences.
I agree with you. Will be quicker/easier to unload the iPad mini. But as far money lost in the sale of the tablet after ~8 months you will probably be fairly close between the two devices. You will recoup more of your money % wise with the iPad mini (due to higher entry cost) than the N7, but the absolute difference in money lost from selling will probably be fairly close is my guess.
Right. That's why it doesn't make sense to me to invest in accessories, cases, apps, etc. for a temporary purchase (he is presenting it as though he's just getting a tablet for the next year or so and that regardless of what he buys now, he's replacing it in a year with a new iPad) if there's no major financial incentive to do so.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to try an Android tablet in the mean time, get the N7. But if you know you're getting the next version of the iPad mini, you might as well jump in now and you'll have less to deal with later. You can sell this one and move straight over into the new one with all your settings, apps, documents, etc.

MigsVuitton
Nov 2, 2012, 04:41 PM

Weight definitely is a factor for me since I'm going from an iPad 3 to a mini. Thanks for your input, definitely going to give this mini a chance.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 04:43 PM
One other minor thing I have noticed, N7 does a noticeably better job at hiding screen smudges/streaks than the iPad mini. Big difference between the two. Not that it is a deciding factor between the two, have I notice the iPad mini picks up on finger prints much much easier.

Dlanod
Nov 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
I don't agree that the Mini and Nexus 7 screens are the same. For me the Nexus 7 is significantly better in terms of clarity. I had a Mini delivered today but its going back. For an extra £130 I picked up a 4th generation iPad.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
That is true for one-handed use (at least if you hold it by grasping the edges from behind).

Because that's limiting to the Nexus 7. The N7 is better than the whole crop of $250 tablets, too. Honestly, it's the best tablet at any price in the 7.0" size. Whether it's better than the iPad mini as well comes down to individual preferences.

I agree.

Right. That's why it doesn't make sense to me to invest in accessories, cases, apps, etc. for a temporary purchase (he is presenting it as though he's just getting a tablet for the next year or so and that regardless of what he buys now, he's replacing it in a year with a new iPad) if there's no major financial incentive to do so.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to try an Android tablet in the mean time, get the N7. But if you know you're getting the next version of the iPad mini, you might as well jump in now and you'll have less to deal with later. You can sell this one and move straight over into the new one with all your settings, apps, documents, etc.

That makes sense. I was in the same boat, but instead decided I would try out both devices at the same time for ~2 weeks to make up my mind. Figured that would be the best route to go.

I don't agree that the Mini and Nexus 7 screens are the same. For me the Nexus 7 is significantly better in terms of clarity. I had a Mini delivered today but its going back. For an extra £130 I picked up a 4th generation iPad.

Are you keeping the N7 in addition to your iPad 4? Or selling the N7 as well?

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 04:49 PM
One other minor thing I have noticed, N7 does a noticeably better job at hiding screen smudges/streaks than the iPad mini. Big difference between the two. Not that it is a deciding factor between the two, have I notice the iPad mini picks up on finger prints much much easier.

I will agree with that, the mini makes me feel like i need to either wash my hands more or just some how not have oily fingers? lol

Rodster
Nov 2, 2012, 04:53 PM

What color did you get? I have both a black and white iPad and the white hides smudges and fingerprints better.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 04:55 PM
What color did you get? I have both a black and white iPad and the white hides smudges and fingerprints better.

black iPad mini.

It is a big difference. This isn't using them at separate times of the day, I am talking about right next to each other. Amazing what the iPad mini glass picks up.

Nychot
Nov 2, 2012, 04:58 PM
You can turn off auto dim read the manual

So I picked up a iPad mini this morning and have been using a Nexus 7 tablet for the last few months and thought id share my first impressions.

1. Screen size- I like the fact that the screen is bigger/wider. The brightness and text look great. I have never used a retina device more then for a few minutes so it looks fine to me. The Nexus 7 would auto dim and then not come back to brightness a lot which was annoying, it would just randomly do it, not cause of any lighting changes. The Nexus 7 screen is still a good screen but the quality and colors are a bit lacking. I cant really notice the higher res difference either between the two.

2. Performance- The Mini is fast and fluid, I have yet to encounter a slow down. The Nexus 7 had some browser lag and scrolling lag on the home screen, but overall it ran great as well. Both open apps very fast, and can run multiple apps at once fine.

Update: I have noticed while in the App store that when scrolling through a bunch of free apps while installing and downloading multiple apps the store begins to slow down a bit when refreshing the screen as you go down through the list. I have only noticed this when doing a ton of stuff at once. Anyone else have the same issue?

Wi-fi- The wifi performance is much better on the mini, sitting in the same room and same distance from my router with both devices I have full bars vs having half bars with the Nexus, also my Nexus had issues losing its wifi signal when waking up multiple times, requiring a reboot since I owned it. So far the mini does not have this issue.

3. Keyboard- The Mini keyboard input is better. I like how it is bigger with the wider screen and the key input feedback just feels tighter and better executed. I have smaller hands and I can use both tablets just fine, and the mini actually feels a bit better using just my thumbs to type given the wider screen.

4. Apps- The main reason I switched to the Mini was better apps and I can say it was a good switch. The same apps I have on my Nexus 7 are just overall better on the iPad Mini, plus I can finally use some apps that were missing from the google play store.

5. Build Quality- Hands down the Mini, It feels great in your hands and is SUPER lightweight. The Nexus 7 a, being that it is cheaper also feels cheaper, but it did not feel like a plastic pos like some people make it out to be, it is a lightweight device that feels solid in your hands, although for some reason after holding it for awhile my palms wold hurt, which might be from the way the bezel is designed. For the money the build quality is okay, but you can tell for the extra price in the Mini the build quality beats it by far.

Overall- Both are great tablets, I like to try all different kinds of technology so it was not that i didn't like the Nexus 7, I just wanted better apps and to try an iPad for the first time, and so far I am glad I did. For the extra 129 dollars, I think most people that have not had a 7 inch tablet before and want to stay in the apple land of things will really enjoy this product. I do not think it is going to make all of the android 7 inch tablet fans run over to the apple side of things, but it does shake up the landscape a bit and for the money, is a solid device. I mean come on its 329 dollars, not like its the end of the world lol.

Hope you all enjoy my quick first impressions, thought some of you might care what a real user thinks and not haters/fan boys think lol.

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 05:00 PM
You can turn off auto dim read the manual

I dont mind auto-dim, the issue is that the screen would do it no matter the light situation, so it didnt really make sense to me. I have read others post the same thing about the screen having issues when waking up and also randomly dimming for no reason.

Nychot
All 149 apps i have on my ipad 3 i can have on my n7 which is very fast. I just picked up an ipad mini today and will compare.

kevinbal

This has been my Apple strategy for the last decade. Wins every time.

53x12
Nov 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
I dont mind auto-dim, the issue is that the screen would do it no matter the light situation, so it didnt really make sense to me. I have read others post the same thing about the screen having issues when waking up and also randomly dimming for no reason.

I have had this problem as well with the N7.

Rodster
Nov 2, 2012, 05:16 PM

I've had it on several N7's which were returned for screen lift or dead pixels. A friend of mine has it as well on his N7. I just turn down the brightness and it seems to go away.

nickftw8686
Nov 2, 2012, 05:16 PM

Yeah exactly, I shouldn't have to turn off a feature because it doesn't work properly, it should work properly!! LOL Although we all know that isn't the case for everything in the computer world.

waltercln
Nov 2, 2012, 05:58 PM
Loving the mini more than my nexus. After a while I just really didn't use it much, even turning It on was a hassle. The whole thing would lag for a long time before it would act normal and that was after having lots of apps installed, but it worked well with only a few apps. Android is getting there but every step it takes iOS just takes ten more. For me it's no competition but I'm sure they will get better.

Lindenhurst
Nov 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have used a nexus 7 since it came out and sold it last week. For the price it was a very nice product and never felt cheap at all. I never had any screen lag and the Google play store had everything I needed. The screen resolution was excellent, but the colors were a bit washed out. I was very happy with Android Jelly Bean ( I ue a Galaxy S3 for my phone) and compared it many times to my sons Ipad and saw no advantage to either device as far as speed or basic usability.
I unloaded the nexus because it was simply too small for me to comfortably surf the web without constantly having to scroll side to side. Prior to that I had an Ipad 2 and really enjoyed using it but felt that a smaller tablet would be better for me, which was not the case at all.
Tonight I went to Sams Club and discovered they had a full stock of Ipad Minis with hardly anyone asking for them.
After playing with one for about 20 minutes here is my opinion of the device;
It feels like a premium device. My N7 was in no way cheap feeling but the Ipad just feels more expensive. And of course it is!
I did not see any degradation in the screen resolution compared to my N7, probably because I wear reading glasses that aren't strong enough.
I really liked he fact that I could hold the device with my thumb on either side of the touchscreen, and it did not affect the touch display at all. Can't say that about the N7. I was always hitting the screen by accident when holding in portrait mode. I'm sure Apple has a patent on their solution to holding thr screen with thumbs and not affecting it. Kudos to Apple. Stuff like that really makes the user experience much better.
Although the screen size is only about an inch larger, the device had much more viewing area than my old N7. Still not enough for me, but much more.
The Ipad Mini was fast and fluid just like I expected.
The camera on the front and back was very good, and my N7 only had a front camera.

All in all I found the mini to be a very nice device, but since I just ordered and received my Ipad 3 retina from Apple for $379, I couldn't see paying $329 for the Mini.

I did pick up an Ipad 3 after using the mini and the Ipad 3 felt like a brick. WHat a difference in weight.

As someone who has strayed away from Apple over the last year and now uses a windows pc again and an Android phone, I have to say that when it comes to the tablet concept, no one beats Apple.....at this time.

xofruitcake
Nov 2, 2012, 09:12 PM
The one thing I do miss is having google chrome be my native browser that is integrated so well with android, but I am getting used to safari and so far so good.

I have chrome running on my Ipad 3. You can download it from apps store...

Fruit Cake
Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 PM

Its not what android has, it's what it allows that's the differentiator. Otherwise it's as you say, much the same garbage apps in both ecosystems.

yellafella321
Nov 2, 2012, 11:29 PM

I'm using both the Nexus 7 and ipad mini as well. In portrait mode, the ipad will display 1 more line than the n7, gives a lot more space in the border, creating a more visually pleasing experience. In landscape mode the ipad displays 3 more lines.

However, text on the Nexus 7 is much, much sharper. I so I'm going to finish reading this book on the n7.

children
Nov 2, 2012, 11:31 PM
you'd have to pay me to use the Nexus 7 (or any nexus and android devices for that matter) The design is just low rent, the only other tablet I would consider would be a Microsoft Surface

sineplex
Nov 3, 2012, 01:04 AM
I really just want a device for business travel....to watch a movie or read a book on the plane, surf the web, use Netflix, social media, banking, etc.

you think you won't be able to do all those things on the mini? rediculous.

if you get a nexus what are you going to do with it when they bring out the retina mini?

sell it and upgrade

if you get a mini what are you going to do with it when they bring out the retina mini?

sell it and upgrade

so what's the problem? either get one or do without for a whole years whilst others ENJOY it now.

That's all your options right now on planet Earth.

palpatine
Nov 3, 2012, 06:36 AM
I don't have a Mini, but I have a Nexus, and The device described in some of these posts sounds nothing like mine. No lags, gorgeous (slightly roo dim) screen, great apps, great size, and a joy to use. I am even considering selling my Ipad foe a Nexus 10 in a few weeks.

MacRumorUser
Nov 3, 2012, 06:52 AM

The new app store is crappy performance on all our ios devices including the new mini and the new 4th gen as well as our 3rd gen iPad and my iPhone 5.

Seems to be since iOS 6 and the re-design, but yeah I wouldn't just blame the mini on this one tbh.

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 07:27 AM
I don't have a Mini, but I have a Nexus, and The device described in some of these posts sounds nothing like mine. No lags, gorgeous (slightly roo dim) screen, great apps, great size, and a joy to use. I am even considering selling my Ipad foe a Nexus 10 in a few weeks.

I used my nexus 7 everyday and enjoyed using it. I just happen to enjoy the mini more so far. For the extra cash it has been a worthy upgrade. But I would not tell someone to not buy a nexus 7 if they want a good sub 300 dollar device or love android.

Wrathwitch
Nov 3, 2012, 07:41 AM

Games like Dead Space.
Apps like RingCentral.

This is my exact same issue with the S3. There are so many things I really like about this phone, and reasons why I don't want to switch backbut as stupid as it sounds. I miss plants vs zombies on my phone! I have to also confess that I wish the device was only 4.5". I'm kinda screwed in a way. Don't want to go back to iPhone until they increase their screen size to something that makes ME happy.

I want a hybrid Android/iOS phone!

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah see that is the problem. People are like oh people dont need 10,000 apps, they only need 5-15 apps, which is probably true for the average user. However with android being so fragmented, you never know if the new device you just got will run the apps in the store. This is a big problem in my opinion and has been reason why I gave up on android for now. The hardware was never the issue with my droids or nexus, it was the apps.

I can have the best piece of hardware on earth but if the software does not meet my needs,then I just have a very nice looking paperweight, or half usable device.

I wouldnt be as concerned if it was just legacy devices with the issue, but its brand new devices and brand new apps. Like MS smart glass for example, or a few other key apps.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 09:12 AM
However with android being so fragmented, you never know if the new device you just got will run the apps in the store. This is a big problem in my opinion and has been reason why I gave up on android for now. The hardware was never the issue with my droids or nexus, it was the apps.

I recently had that problem. Apps I bought for the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 would not run on my N7.

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 09:29 AM
My first tablet was the transformer prime, got it on sale for 370 with 32gb of storage and was super excited then when I got home and stared downloading apps I either couldn't run the one I wanted or it was a stretched phone app. I ended up selling it to a friend a month later. Now with the nexus 7 the stretched apps don't look as bad vs a 10 inch screen but its still annoying. I used to think app selection wasn't a big deal or using a stretched phone app but I won't be going back to it ever again. At least with my windows phone with the lesser app selection he apps it does have look great and have a super cool new feel to them. But the quality of apps apple has is def. a big deal. Quality and quantity, hard to find both but they seem to have it for now. Hopefully the rest will catch up or surpass them.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 09:36 AM
At least with my windows phone with the lesser app selection he apps it does have look great and have a super cool new feel to them.

Yeah I can relate. I have a Zune HD player and all the limited apps for it looked great on the small screen. But getting back to the Android market. I don't mind some of the apps even if they were not intended for that device. Most of the apps/games look gorgeous on any of my Android devices. And as has been mentioned, things will only get better with the success of the Nexus line and Kindle Fire tablets.

I own a KF-HD and there are many apps specially designed for the KF and more are popping up. Apps like CNN, ABC News are optimized for the Fire. I've noticed this trend since owning one.

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 09:43 AM
Yeah I can relate. I have a Zune HD player and all the limited apps for it looked great on the small screen. But getting back to the Android market. I don't mind some of the apps even if they were not intended for that device. Most of the apps/games look gorgeous on any of my Android devices. And as has been mentioned, things will only get better with the success of the Nexus line and Kindle Fire tablets.

I own a KF-HD and there are many apps specially designed for the KF and more are popping up. Apps like CNN, ABC News are optimized for the Fire. I've noticed this trend since owning one.

Yeah true, I had a kindle fire that my fiancé now uses and she loves it, has the apps she wants and she can read all of her kindle books. It is a good device for amazon media consumption and is starting to get some nice apps as well.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah true, I had a kindle fire that my fiancé now uses and she loves it, has the apps she wants and she can read all of her kindle books. It is a good device for amazon media consumption and is starting to get some nice apps as well.

I returned my 7" HD. It was too small and I replaced it with the N7. I pre-ordered the 8.9 HD. Looking forward to that.

I'm an Amazon Prime member so for me the content on the KF makes it worth the purchase. I realize as others have said you can access your content on any device but the Prime content has been optimized for the Kindle Fire line. I love watching free shows, movies and reading books. Amazon has a very capable ecosystem and it's only getting better.

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 10:17 AM
I returned my 7" HD. It was too small and I replaced it with the N7. I pre-ordered the 8.9 HD. Looking forward to that.

I'm an Amazon Prime member so for me the content on the KF makes it worth the purchase. I realize as others have said you can access your content on any device but the Prime content has been optimized for the Kindle Fire line. I love watching free shows, movies and reading books. Amazon has a very capable ecosystem and it's only getting better.

Very nice, Yeah i love amazon prime, i buy and ship so much stuff from there they probably think I have a store lol. I mainly stream my prime instant video movies to my tvs so its a nice feature to have on the mini but i found myself not using it that much on the kindle fire. Maybe with the 8.9 inch screen more people will watch movies on it. For kindle content it is a great device for sure.

I am kinda glad I am not able to have such easy access anymore to buying stuff from amazon, I already buy enough haha.

paulsalter
Nov 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
t is a good device for amazon media consumption and is starting to get some nice apps as well.

I am confused how you have been criticising the google play store but then say a positive about the amazon app store

in the UK the amazon app store is quite poor, apps it does have are the same or older versions than the play store, free apps on the play store are sometimes paid ones on amazon and selection is very small

is the amazon app store that much better where you are?

I do use both, but mainly only get the free daily ones from amazon

torana355
Nov 3, 2012, 10:35 AM

I find the Nexus 7 screen is much sharper due to the higher ppi, the quality and colors are very similar, both are IPS panels. You say you can notice a difference in the colours but not the resolution, the difference in resolution is HUGE!!

2. Performance- The Mini is fast and fluid, I have yet to encounter a slow down. The Nexus 7 had some browser lag and scrolling lag on the home screen, but overall it ran great as well. Both open apps very fast, and can run multiple apps at once fine.

I find the N7 on Jellybean buttery smooth, no slowdowns whatsoever on my unit. The Chrome Mobile browser is rubbish, i use Xscope which is faster and smoother then Safari on the mini. Also the N7's extra ram is quite evident once you have many tabs open ect.

Wi-fi- The wifi performance is much better on the mini, sitting in the same room and same distance from my router with both devices I have full bars vs having half bars with the Nexus, also my Nexus had issues losing its wifi signal when waking up multiple times, requiring a reboot since I owned it. So far the mini does not have this issue. I find the wifi performance exactly the same, if anything my N7 achieves higher speeds at identical distances from my router.

3. Keyboard- The Mini keyboard input is better. I like how it is bigger with the wider screen and the key input feedback just feels tighter and better executed. I have smaller hands and I can use both tablets just fine, and the mini actually feels a bit better using just my thumbs to type given the wider screen.

The N7 with swiftkey 3 destroys the Mini's keyboard in every way.

No arguments here the app selection is better for tablets on the Apple store.

5. Build Quality- Hands down the Mini, It feels great in your hands and is SUPER lightweight. The Nexus 7 a, being that it is cheaper also feels cheaper, but it did not feel like a plastic pos like some people make it out to be, it is a lightweight device that feels solid in your hands, although for some reason after holding it for awhile my palms wold hurt, which might be from the way the bezel is designed. For the money the build quality is okay, but you can tell for the extra price in the Mini the build quality beats it by far.

Again not true, the N7 build quality is not that bad, it actually feels much better in hand. How does the N7 "feel" cheaper?

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
I find the Nexus 7 screen is much sharper due to the higher ppi, the quality and colors are very similar, both are IPS panels. You say you can notice a difference in the colours but not the resolution, the difference in resolution is HUGE!!

I find the N7 on Jellybean buttery smooth, no slowdowns whatsoever on my unit. The Chrome Mobile browser is rubbish, i use Xscope which is faster and smoother then Safari on the mini. Also the N7's extra ram is quite evident once you have many tabs open ect.
I find the wifi performance exactly the same, if anything my N7 achieves higher speeds at identical distances from my router.

The N7 with swiftkey 3 destroys the Mini's keyboard in every way.

No arguments here the app selection is better for tablets on the Apple store.

Again not true, the N7 build quality is not that bad, it actually feels much better in hand. How does the N7 "feel" cheaper?

1.The resolution difference is not huge, I am sorry unless you have superman eyes, its not that noticeable at all.

2. Wifi performance on my nexus 7 was spotty and dropped signals. If the tablet went to sleep it would not reconnect and would randomly drop. I have a stronger signal strength with the mini and it does not drop connections like the nexus 7 did. Maybe i had a bad one but I am not the only one reporting these issues.

3. Build quality is not as good. For one mine had the issue where the screen was not tight enough to the body and it moved when you pressed down on the sides when swiping or holding it. This was one DAY 1 with the device. Google around you will see its a common problem. The tablet also feels cheaper. Plastic vs aluminum just does not feel as nice. The tablet did not feel like total crap in the hand but I prefer the mini over it. I also as I have stated in the thread find the mini easier to hold given the way the weight is distributed throughout the device. I never said the build quality was super bad but it is sub par compared to the apple device. I think most will agree with me on that one. But hey for 200 bucks, its a good device, but you get what you pay for, just like most things in life.

----------

I am confused how you have been criticising the google play store but then say a positive about the amazon app store

in the UK the amazon app store is quite poor, apps it does have are the same or older versions than the play store, free apps on the play store are sometimes paid ones on amazon and selection is very small

To clarify I was saying that the amazon app store does have some nice apps, but it is nowhere near as big or good as the google play store, which in my opinion is not as good as the apple app store. The kindle fire is great for amazon content,reading and streaming movies, not much else at this point, but that will improve over time. I have not used a kindle fire HD yet so others might have a better idea on how the new one improves over the last one that I had.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 10:54 AM

He's not contradicting himself because Google's and Amazon's ecosystems are separate. Unless you root a Kindle Fire you are blocked off from Google Play. And yes here in the US the Amazon ecosystem is very good and is only getting better. :)

paulsalter
Nov 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
He's not contradicting himself because Google's and Amazon's ecosystems are separate. Unless you root a Kindle Fire you are blocked off from Google Play. And yes here in the US the Amazon ecosystem is very good and is only getting better. :)

I am not denying that Amazon eco system is good, I like Amazon for a lot of things

my point was, you cannot say Amazon app store is good and then criticise Google Play

Anyway, It looks like I misread the post so the point is not really relevant

----------

To clarify I was saying that the amazon app store does have some nice apps, but it is nowhere near as big or good as the google play store, which in my opinion is not as good as the apple app store. The kindle fire is great for amazon content,reading and streaming movies, not much else at this point, but that will improve over time. I have not used a kindle fire HD yet so others might have a better idea on how the new one improves over the last one that I had.

I agree, would love to get a fire hd to play around with

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
I am not denying that Amazon eco system is good, I like Amazon for a lot of things

my point was, you cannot say Amazon app store is good and then criticise Google Play

Yes, one can criticize the other because they are not connected. There's content specific to the Kindle Fire tablets that's unavailable on Google Play so your post is quite relevant. :)

paulsalter
Nov 3, 2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, one can criticize the other because they are not connected. There's content specific to the Kindle Fire tablets that's unavailable on Google Play so your post is quite relevant. :)

Do you have some examples?

I have been looking but cannot find anything

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
Do you have some examples?

I have been looking but cannot find anything

I don't have my 7" KF as I returned it for the 8.9" version but yeah there are some killer apps just for the KF.

One you might be interested in is the BBC app. Simply awesome ! :cool:

Off the top of my head ABC News, CNN, USA Today are all great. WebMD has a beautiful app. As you can tell i'm a news junkie. There game apps specific to the KF. I can post those once I get my 8.9 HD from Amazon. :)

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
yahoo sports fantasy football, direct tv, direct tv remote, file transfer software, file manager hd i believe, i dont know if it has changed but i think fox news app was not there or was bad, the facebook app on the old kindle fire just took you to the mobile browser, not sure if that has changed. Skydrive as well was not there when i had mine and xbox smartglass.

But this might of changed since I used the fire, I haven't used it in months, since i gave it to my fiance.

paulsalter
Nov 3, 2012, 11:19 AM
I don't have my 7" KF as I returned it for the 8.9" version but yeah there are some killer apps just for the KF.

One you might be interested in is the BBC app. Simply awesome ! :cool:

Off the top of my head ABC News, CNN, USA Today are all great. WebMD has a beautiful app. As you can tell i'm a news junkie. There game apps specific to the KF. I can post those once I get my 8.9 HD from Amazon. :)

yahoo sports fantasy football, direct tv, direct tv remote, file transfer software, file manager hd i believe, i dont know if it has changed but i think fox news app was not there or was bad, the facebook app on the old kindle fire just took you to the mobile browser, not sure if that has changed. Skydrive as well was not there when i had mine and xbox smartglass.

But this might of changed since I used the fire, I haven't used it in months, since i gave it to my fiance.

not sure if we are talking about the same thing

I can see all these apps on Google Play (not tried them so don't know about quality of them)

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
not sure if we are talking about the same thing

I can see all these apps on Google Play (not tried them so don't know about quality of them)

Yeah i just did some searching on the amazon app store and it looks like in the last month or so they have released most of the ones i brought up, I dont know if they are good or not but its nice to see the apps are growing for the device. I know when I had the first kindle fire the app's were few and far between. However it would be nice if the google play store and amazon store combined. One big giant android store for all android based tablets vs the apple store lol.

paulsalter
Nov 3, 2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah i just did some searching on the amazon app store and it looks like in the last month or so they have released most of the ones i brought up, I dont know if they are good or not but its nice to see the apps are growing for the device. I know when I had the first kindle fire the app's were few and far between. However it would be nice if the google play store and amazon store combined. One big giant android store for all android based tablets vs the apple store lol.

It's very good they are growing, competition between them

If I want a book, look at Amazon, Google and others and get from cheapest
If I want an app look at Amazon or Google and get the cheapest

I have found one that is KF exclusive (hopefully only short term), Lovefilm instant, a UK movies streaming service, similar to Netflix but better selection (for uk anyway)

lianlua
Nov 3, 2012, 01:24 PM
It's not huge unless you think that the step up from the iPad 2 to the iPad mini is huge, too. And the Nexus 7 has well-documented problems with its color and brightness--it was the big reason I went with the Kindle Fire HD at the time. It had, bar none, the best small tablet screen on the market.

kenypowa
Nov 3, 2012, 01:28 PM

I tried the mini yesterday and while it's a solid product, it doesn't really justify the 65% ($130) premium over N7. I like N7's 16:10 screen aspect ratio much better than iPad mini. N7 feels better at hand, but that's a personal preference. Android apps, at least the popular ones, are on par as on iOS.

On the other hand, I still have my iPad. It's good to have best of both worlds.

Vetvito
Nov 3, 2012, 02:27 PM
I'm a avid Android user, and I love it. However I'm getting a Mini for my daughter and one for me. The apps are just better on IOS. I don't use many apps, but the apps I do use are shockingly better on IOS.

I had windows phone, but if it's not a news app; it just not there or absolutely poor.

Apps I use daily are Tapatalk, Banking, pocket, my Xbox live, NBA Game Time, and all of them are just better on IOS.

So it looks like Mini for me.

cpuguy18
Nov 3, 2012, 03:18 PM
just ordered an nexus 7 32gb cant wait.

n10797
Nov 3, 2012, 03:41 PM
Argh! This is such a tough decision for me.

If I got the iPad Mini it would be 32GB, Smart Cover, most likely Applecare+, and the HDMI output cable. I can definitely afford it but like most people I don't like to overspend too much.

With the Nexus 7 I'd get the 32GB and not need a cover since it's so reasonable and I'd to happy just throwing it around. Also it doesn't output HDMI which kind of sucks.

I have a PC in my room, no laptop, and a iPhone 4S.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing Reddit (I love Alien Blue btw), surfing a little, possibly reading books if I get motivated, reading PDF's for sure, not much gaming, watching some TV shows in bed, and bringing it downstairs to use while at the TV couch.

I'll also be travelling a bit back home where I have no computer and travelling elsewhere.

What to do what to do?!

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 03:53 PM
just ordered an nexus 7 32gb cant wait.

Congrats, it's a great deal. I wish Google was still doing the $25 Google Play credit. :)

----------

If I got the iPad Mini it would be 32GB, Smart Cover, most likely Applecare+, and the HDMI output cable. I can definitely afford it but like most people I don't like to overspend too much.

With the Nexus 7 I'd get the 32GB and not need a cover since it's so reasonable and I'd to happy just throwing it around. Also it doesn't output HDMI which kind of sucks.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing Reddit (I love Alien Blue btw), surfing a little, possibly reading books if I get motivated, reading PDF's for sure, not much gaming, watching some TV shows in bed, and bringing it downstairs to use while at the TV couch.

I'll also be travelling a bit back home where I have no computer and travelling elsewhere.

What to do what to do?!
I bought a simulated leather Nexus 7 cover with sleep/wake on Amazon for $8.98 :)

It looks great as well.

n10797
Nov 3, 2012, 05:00 PM
Congrats, it's a great deal. I wish Google was still doing the $25 Google Play credit. :)

----------

I bought a simulated leather Nexus 7 cover with sleep/wake on Amazon for $8.98 :)

It looks great as well.

Oh thanks but I don't think I'll be getting a cover since I don't care really what happens to it, unlike if I were to get an expensive mini!

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 05:04 PM

What to do what to do?!

Well it sounds like you dont want to use that many apps, and want something you dont have to invest heavily in and can throw around, if that's the case, get the nexus 7.

If you enjoy your iphone 4s and want to use the apps you have there on your mini and not reinvest in apps and don't mind spending more then grab a mini. I think either one will make you happy.

MikeAK
Nov 3, 2012, 05:22 PM
Oh thanks but I don't think I'll be getting a cover since I don't care really what happens to it, unlike if I were to get an expensive mini!

HAHA.. So true. @ $199 I am nowhere near as OCD about my Nexus as I normally am about my stuff. I don't abuse it but I also don't have it inside a bullet proof vest either. ;)

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for reminding me of that - since I got the $25 credit, plus the $10 Google Wallet credit, plus had the Nexus 7 during Google's 25 cent sale, selling my current 7 for $150 to get the 32GB cellular one doesn't seem like much of a loss at all. :-)

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for reminding me of that - since I got the $25 credit, plus the $10 Google Wallet credit, plus had the Nexus 7 during Google's 25 cent sale, selling my current 7 for $150 to get the 32GB cellular one doesn't seem like much of a loss at all. :-)

I also took advantage of the $25 and the several 25c sales. I had bought a launch N7 and returned several of them for the infamous screen lift. I loved the device as well as Jelly Bean and figured eventually I would pick one up. I did when the 32GB model was announced.

I wish they would bring back the 10c app sales. :)

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 05:58 PM
I wish they would bring back the 10c app sales. :)Me too, but I think we can look forward to 50 cent apps soon enough....

n10797
Nov 3, 2012, 06:11 PM
Well it sounds like you dont want to use that many apps, and want something you dont have to invest heavily in and can throw around, if that's the case, get the nexus 7.

If you enjoy your iphone 4s and want to use the apps you have there on your mini and not reinvest in apps and don't mind spending more then grab a mini. I think either one will make you happy.

Hmm well I don't use too many apps with my iPhone 4S but I just don't know what iPad specific apps are out there that I'll definitely start using. The big one would be Alien Blue for iPad which is just awesome. My 4S is jailbroken so I haven't really 'invested' in many apple apps.

I used to have a Galaxy Nexus phone which I sold for a 4S and don't regret that. I guess it was a little too laggy but I hear the Nexus 7 is buttery smooth with some kind of new Jelly Bean feature.

It sounds like I'm trying to convince myself that the Nexus 7 is "better". I just don't knowww. I LOVE the look of the Mini though.

What other drawbacks does the 7 have?

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 06:18 PM
What other drawbacks does the 7 have?
Bear in mind that a 32GB Nexus 7 with 3G is $260 less than a 32GB iPad Mini with LTE (and $30 less than the base Mini) and that the base Nexus 7 is $130 less than the base Mini but includes a GPS.

Given that, here are some drawbacks (or not - it depends on what you want):

(1) No rear camera.
- I wish it had one.

(2) Not iOS.
- This, to me, is a plus.

(3) No HDMI out.
- I wish it had this, but, then again, to get it on the Mini means buying another adapter.

(4) 16:9 [edit: 16:10] aspect ratio instead of 4:3.
- Better for movies, not as good for surfing.

(5) Rubberized plastic back vs aluminum.
- I prefer this. It doesn't slip out of your hand.

Having used the 7 for months now, I find it to be really nice, and I wouldn't trade it for a Mini. Then again, with an iPhone and iPad, I don't need a new iOS device to use iOS, and I like having and Android device to use things that aren't available on iOS.

If you have no iOS devices, you'll likely enjoy the Mini more because of the app advantage. If you have iOS devices already, you'll likely enjoy the 7 more because it's a revelatory joy to see how the other half lives.

Edit: put another way, you can buy a 32GB Nexus 7 with 3G and a Kindle Fire HD 32GB for less than the iPad Mini 32GB with LTE, and you'd have a great Android tablet and a superior media tablet (with usable speakers!).

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 06:32 PM
(4) 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 4:3.

(5) Rubberized plastic back vs aluminum.
- I prefer this. It doesn't slip out of your hand.

Is 1280x800 16:10 or 16:9? I thought it was 16:10 since I have laptops with that resolution.

onthecouchagain
Nov 3, 2012, 06:42 PM
I love how so many people over at the iPad forums are making excuses for the lack of retina display in the iPad Mini.

Things like, "you can't see the pixels unless you look closely, so it's okay."

Boy, I wonder where these excuses were when so many criticized non-Retina displays of smartphones and tablets from the competition.

Truly remarkable. And for $329 too... Ouch.

lianlua
Nov 3, 2012, 06:47 PM
Boy, I wonder where these excuses were when so many criticized non-Retina displays of smartphones and tablets from the competition.
They're not excuses--and people were rightly saying the same things about those devices, too. The availability of retina displays has never rendered a non-retina device unusable, regardless of manufacturer.
Is 1280x800 16:10 or 16:9? I thought it was 16:10 since I have laptops with that resolution.
It is 16:10. 1280/800 = 1.6

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 06:48 PM
You're right. :)

nharrietha
Nov 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
At the end of the day what truly makes the difference for most is scaled up phone apps vs. apps created to be used and enjoyed on a tablet.

SlCKB0Y
Nov 3, 2012, 07:09 PM
1.The resolution difference is not huge, I am sorry unless you have superman eyes, its not that noticeable at all.

That's absolutely amazing!

When the iPad is a very small percent lighter than the Nexus 7 (308g vs. 340g), this makes such a massive difference that the Nexus gives you sores hands and wrists whilst holding it but the iPad is perfectly comfortable.

When the Nexus 7 has a significantly higher PPI than the Mini (216PPI vs. 164PPI), this makes no difference at all and one would need "superman eyes" to tell the difference.

Please, red flags went up immediately upon reading your OP, but I must admit you've done a pretty good job. :rolleyes:

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
I love how so many people over at the iPad forums are making excuses for the lack of retina display in the iPad Mini.

It's the same thing with the iPad 3 when it first came out. I kept saying the performance between the iPad 2 and 3rd Gen were a wash and the A5X was only there to help push the Retina display. There was almost no gain in performance. I quoted articles and such. Most defended the iPad 3's performance.

Guess what happened when the iPad 4 was announced. All of a sudden the light bulb went off and now you were reading how the A5X lagged in certain games and what a rip the iPad 3 was sans the Retina display.

It always happens, defend the new and attack the old. Fanbois suck ! :p

marc11
Nov 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
At the end of the day what truly makes the difference for most is scaled up phone apps vs. apps created to be used and enjoyed on a tablet.

I really wish once just once someone who keeps rehashing this same old line would post names of these apps with side by side screen shots to show it. I think there is just a ton of band wagon riding going on. It used to be about Android fragmentation but now the nexus line has killed that line so its all this apps talk. Maybe its true for some apps but the 30 apps I use i cannot see the difference in features or quality between the ipad app and Nexus app.

So which important productivity or utility apps do you use everyday that look like blown up crap on the Nexus 7. I am sure they are out there but which mainstream popular ones?

SlCKB0Y
Nov 3, 2012, 07:16 PM

Oh no! another person who can read the subtext.

Ive been through every post in this thread, and everytime the OP determines the iPad to win in some criteria, it does so by a massive margin.

In the 2-3 areas they have conceded the Nexus 7 wins, it really doesn't make a difference and reality you couldn't tell between them.

Cost? well unless you're poor the more than 30% price difference ($200 vs $329) shouldn't make a difference according to the OP.

More people on this forum need to learn how to critically analyse things, I think.

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
I really wish once just once someone who keeps rehashing this same old line would post names of these apps with side by side screen shots to show it. I think there is just a ton of band wagon riding going on. It used to be about Android fragmentation but now the nexus line has killed that line so its all this apps talk. Maybe its true for some apps but the 30 apps I use i cannot see the difference in features or quality between the ipad app and Nexus app.

So which important productivity or utility apps do you use everyday that look like blown up crap on the Nexus 7. I am sure they are out there but which mainstream popular ones?
I completely agree. The only "phone" app I have is a Disney World ride times one, and it looks fine... just obviously meant for a phone screen. All the others are tablet apps. I have far more phone apps on my iPad.

torana355
Nov 3, 2012, 07:21 PM

When the iPad is a very small percent lighter than the Nexus 7 (308g vs. 340g), this makes such a massive difference that the Nexus gives you sores hands and wrists whilst holding it but the iPad is perfectly comfortable.

When the Nexus 7 has a significantly higher PPI than the Mini (216PPI vs. 164PPI), this makes no difference at all and one would need "superman eyes" to tell the difference.

Please, red flags went up immediately upon reading your OP, but I must admit you've done a pretty good job. :rolleyes:

Exactly, the OP's post is clearly biased towards Apple, that being said we are on a Apple forum. In my unbiased Opinion (i own loads of Apple gear as well as the N7) the N7 is better then the Mini in almost every way. Even the playstores tablet apps are catching up.

SlCKB0Y
Nov 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
I used to have a Galaxy Nexus phone which I sold for a 4S and don't regret that. I guess it was a little too laggy but I hear the Nexus 7 is buttery smooth with some kind of new Jelly Bean feature.

And guess what? The GNex is just as smooth as Nexus 7 is using that new feature under Jelly Bean.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 07:26 PM
Any word on Android 4.2 showing up on the N7? :)

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 07:28 PM
Any word on Android 4.2 showing up on the N7? :)
It'll be there on Tuesday, I'm sure.

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 07:46 PM

Sorry but I have said in other posts that I was not calling the nexus 7 heavy I said that this device is superlight which it is and the way it's shaped and feels in my hands is better. That is my personal opinion, so yes I am biased towards it since it is better for me.

I do not think the screen is better in the 7, they both look nice to me and I enjoy the larger real estate and different aspect ratio, once again my opinion..

I was trying to give an honest review on both devices since I own both and some are on the fence.. So yeah I prefer the mini and have stated why and in repeat posts have said I still do not think the nexus is a bad device, just in my opinion for my needs and likes, the mini so far is winning for me.

----------

Exactly, the OP's post is clearly biased towards Apple, that being said we are on a Apple forum. In my unbiased Opinion (i own loads of Apple gear as well as the N7) the N7 is better then the Mini in almost every way. Even the playstores tablet apps are catching up.

So my post is bias for saying the mini wins but your being unbiased saying the nexus is better and that is that. At least I took the time to support my reasons for why I prefer it...

lighthouse_man
Nov 3, 2012, 09:03 PM
That is my personal opinion, so yes I am biased towards it since it is better for me.

Nobody's arguing that that was your opinion. But certainly starting a thread to share your opinion, you have to expect some criticism. Otherwise, what's the point?

Technarchy
Nov 3, 2012, 10:01 PM
I used both for about 30 minutes each today.

I prefer the iPad Mini.

I despise the feel of 16:9 tablets. I hated it on my Asus Transformer, and it hasn't grown on me since. Also, the Nexus 7 feels shockingly low rent compared to the iPad Mini in terms of materials and overall feel.

palpatine
Nov 4, 2012, 12:13 AM
There are all sorts of little things on each platform that distinguish them, I don't know if there is much point in dragging in the app ecosystem and operating systems every time. I like playing stuff through my Apple TV (air play), but I loathe iTunes, and I'm tired of having to go through it all the time.

If you compare the hardware alone, I think it is more interesting. The Mini is surely appealing for its design, but to be honest, I never use my devices without cases, so I don't care anymore about all sorts of nice design features from the cool back of the Nexus to the metal on the iPad. For me, it is mainly about the display and speed, so 330 for the iPad looks unappealing. Different priorities, though, and I might lean towards the Mini.

Vegastouch
Nov 4, 2012, 12:41 AM

Why would you not care what happens to the N7 but care what happens to the iPad mini? Its still costing you near $300 :confused:

Throw some cash in the wind my way if you dont care....lol

I dont have a tablet but will take good care of my N7 if i do get one because if i do get one, thats the one im getting. Im not overspending for a iPad mini.

Rodster
Nov 4, 2012, 07:26 AM

I prefer the iPad Mini.

I despise the feel of 16:9 tablets. I hated it on my Asus Transformer, and it hasn't grown on me since. Also, the Nexus 7 feels shockingly low rent compared to the iPad Mini in terms of materials and overall feel.

As has been confirmed the Nexus 7 is 16:10 not 16:9 aspect ratio, slight difference. ;)

----------

Why would you not care what happens to the N7 but care what happens to the iPad mini? Its still costing you near $300 :confused:

I dont have a tablet but will take good care of my N7 if i do get one because if i do get one, thats the one im getting. Im not overspending for a iPad mini.

He's probably a victim of Apple's marketing which means only Apple can produce a quality product. I own various tablets and keep them all in pristine condition in case I want to resell them.

hyteckit
Nov 4, 2012, 07:35 AM

Yes. I remember the 25 cent sale. There was even a 10 cent sale.

Too bad 20% of the apps and games don't run on my iconia android tablet.

Try to buy asphalt adrenaline 6, but says not compatible with my android device.

Dumb.

n10797
Nov 4, 2012, 01:27 PM

Haha well I was exaggerating on that point a bit. I guess it has to do with the rubberized back on the N7 where I could place it on a table without worrying about scratches at all; I would always be careful with the screen itself. I'd also be throwing it lightly on the couch or bed from time to time so no big deal.

As has been confirmed the Nexus 7 is 16:10 not 16:9 aspect ratio, slight difference. ;)

----------

He's probably a victim of Apple's marketing which means only Apple can produce a quality product. I own various tablets and keep them all in pristine condition in case I want to resell them.

I'm somewhat of a victim yes :o but if I were to get the iPad Mini it would be $622 all-in and the Nexus 7 would be $290 all-in :eek:

Rodster
Nov 4, 2012, 01:47 PM
Haha well I was exaggerating on that point a bit. I guess it has to do with the rubberized back on the N7 where I could place it on a table without worrying about scratches at all; I would always be careful with the screen itself. I'd also be throwing it lightly on the couch or bed from time to time so no big deal.

Understood and yes the rubberized backing is a nice touch although I like having an inexpensive case that has a sleep/wake feature. :)

I'm somewhat of a victim yes :o but if I were to get the iPad Mini it would be $622 all-in and the Nexus 7 would be $290 all-in :eek:

I was only kidding, the Mini does look like a quality product, i'll buy one just trying to hold out for the subsequent refresh hoping they add retina to the display. The N7 @$290 is the better buy. I wish I had your money. :D

n10797
Nov 4, 2012, 02:33 PM
Understood and yes the rubberized backing is a nice touch although I like having an inexpensive case that has a sleep/wake feature. :)

I was only kidding, the Mini does look like a quality product, i'll buy one just trying to hold out for the subsequent refresh hoping they add retina to the display. The N7 @$290 is the better buy. I wish I had your money. :D

I couldn't follow the link you posted, but what is this sleep/wake feature you speak of? Also, does it have a stand?

If you only knew what I did to get this money. It would make doves cry...

Rodster
Nov 4, 2012, 03:11 PM
I couldn't follow the link you posted, but what is this sleep/wake feature you speak of? Also, does it have a stand?

If you only knew what I did to get this money. It would make doves cry...

Sleep/wake allows the screen to turn off when you close the lid and the screen turns on when you open the lid. And yes you can turn it into a stand. Here's what I bought for $8.98 shipped. It went up in price to $10.98 but it's a quality case. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MIQGTQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g%2BQUOdoaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

n10797
Nov 4, 2012, 04:01 PM
Sleep/wake allows the screen to turn off when you close the lid and the screen turns on when you open the lid. And yes you can turn it into a stand. Here's what I bought for $8.98 shipped. It went up in price to $10.98 but it's a quality case. :)

Image (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g%2BQUOdoaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg)

Cool thanks for the link.

I'm not sure I'd like the full wrap case though because of slight bulk. Is there anything just like the Apple Smart Cover but for the N7 that just covers the front?

Rodster
Nov 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cool thanks for the link.

I'm not sure I'd like the full wrap case though because of slight bulk. Is there anything just like the Apple Smart Cover but for the N7 that just covers the front?

I don't think anyone makes that. Here's some thing you may like. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Devicewear-Google-Nexus-case-The-Ridge/dp/B0093CB2HQ/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1352067437&sr=8-19&keywords=nexus+7+case

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nu-LS30ZL._AA300_.jpg

Here's another one:

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Slimline-Portfolio-Automatically-Manufacturer/dp/B008NMCPTQ/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1352067547&sr=8-29&keywords=nexus+7+case

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hjQiQvsFL._AA300_.jpg

michaeljohn
Nov 5, 2012, 02:22 AM
I had the Nexus 7 for about a month before selling it. It was nice but certain things bothered me like the way the on screen buttons stayed lit up while watching a movie and how narrow the screen was. I felt like I needed to do everything in landscape mode on it. I didn't care much for the display either. Kinda washed out and dull looking but hey, it's only $199.

Got the iPad mini today and I already love it. Although its a lower resolution screen, its still crisp and colors are much more vibrant and accurate. It addressed the two things I didn't like with the iPad, the weight for one handed use laying in bed and the too large keyboard. The weight of the mini is perfect and it can easily be held with one hand for an extended amount of time. The keyboard is also perfect for me as I can type with my thumbs rather easily, doing it now in fact. I also really like that at 7.9 inches, it's much closer to 8 inches than 7. The slightly larger screen really makes a difference while watching movies and playing games. I will gladly take the lower resolution screen in exchange for the pros I mentioned. Great device.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 02:29 AM
I had the Nexus 7 for about a month before selling it. It was nice but certain things bothered me like the way the on screen buttons stayed lit up while watching a movie and how narrow the screen was. I felt like I needed to do everything in landscape mode on it. I didn't care much for the display either. Kinda washed out and dull looking but hey, it's only $199.

Got the iPad mini today and I already love it. Although its a lower resolution screen, its still crisp and colors are much more vibrant and accurate. It addressed the two things I didn't like with the iPad, the weight for one handed use laying in bed and the too large keyboard. The weight of the mini is perfect and it can easily be held with one hand for an extended amount of time. The keyboard is also perfect for me as I can type with my thumbs rather easily, doing it now in fact. I also really like that at 7.9 inches, it's much closer to 8 inches than 7. The slightly larger screen really makes a difference while watching movies and playing games. I will gladly take the lower resolution screen in exchange for the pros I mentioned. Great device.

Screen buttons do not stay on what watching a video and I can watch videos in 100% full screen without issue. Not sure why yours had such issues, but that is not normal.

michaeljohn
Nov 5, 2012, 02:30 AM
Screen buttons do not stay on what watching a video and I can watch videos in 100% full screen without issue. Not sure why yours had such issues, but that is not normal.

You can see the white dots for the buttons. It's highly annoying on a black screen

torana355
Nov 5, 2012, 02:49 AM
You can see the white dots for the buttons. It's highly annoying on a black screen

Use a different Video player app, i use Dice player and it hides everything.

michaeljohn
Nov 5, 2012, 02:57 AM
Use a different Video player app, i use Dice player and it hides everything.

Don't have the N7 anymore. Sold it and got the iPad mini.

SlCKB0Y
Nov 5, 2012, 05:59 AM
The slightly larger screen really makes a difference while watching movies and playing games.

Huh? Aren't you playing widescreen movies and games? See those big black bars of wasted space at the top and bottom of your iPad mini?

In landscape mode, the screens are almost exactly the same width, it's just that the Nexus 7 screen is actually 720p. Again...In landscape, a widescreen movie will be almost identical in size across the two devices, just at a lower res on the iPad.

I could understand you saying that the iPad Mini is better for reading in portrait, but better for watching videos in landscape? No way.

Also, I've got a couple of JB tablets here, each with 3 or 4 video apps. None of them leave the on-screen buttons on.

MacRumorUser
Nov 5, 2012, 06:03 AM
(4) 16:9 [edit: 16:10] aspect ratio instead of 4:3.

Strangely play a movie on both devices that is 2:3.5 (as most films are) and the mini actually displays a bigger picture than the nexus 7 for watching back your movie.

----------

Huh? Aren't you playing widescreen movies and games? See those big black bars of wasted space at the top and bottom of your iPad mini?

Yes but again due to the reduced frame on the mini, and the increased size, viewing movies in their 2:3.5 ratio on it actually give a bigger screen experience than the nexus 7.

Edit: Correction

2.35:1 aspect ratio

SlCKB0Y
Nov 5, 2012, 06:11 AM
Strangely play a movie on both devices that is 2:3.5 (as most films are)

Umm, no they aren't. Plus in your ratio the movie is higher than it is wide.

MacRumorUser
Nov 5, 2012, 06:34 AM
Umm, no they aren't. Plus in your ratio the movie is higher than it is wide.

I meant 2.35:1 ;) sorry I put my points/dots in the wrong place :rolleyes: I didn't expect that the semantic police would be on patrol today, despite it being clear what I meant. :p

SlCKB0Y
Nov 5, 2012, 06:45 AM
despite it being clear what I meant. :p

I wasn't being anal, I really didn't know what you meant. :p

2.35:1 might fairly common in cinemas but 16:9 is way more common on DVD, Bluray and most digital formats like iTunes and Netflix.

jsw
Nov 5, 2012, 07:59 AM

I own this same case, and it is indeed a great bargain. Is it a perfect case? No, but it has met all my needs well, and at $11 shipped, it is quite the deal.

Rodster
Nov 5, 2012, 08:18 AM
I own this same case, and it is indeed a great bargain. Is it a perfect case? No, but it has met all my needs well, and at $11 shipped, it is quite the deal.

It was an even better deal at $9. Some of these items you never know but once I got it I thought it was well worth the $9. Maybe it's just me but when it comes to a case for a tablet I always go for the cheapest/best bang for the buck. And with Amazon it's best to check out cases prior to the device launch as that's when they tend to be the cheapest.

I don't think i've spent more than $15 on any of my cases and they all look good and do a nice job.

MacRumorUser
Nov 5, 2012, 09:57 AM
I wasn't being anal, I really didn't know what you meant. :p

2.35:1 might fairly common in cinemas but 16:9 is way more common on DVD, Bluray and most digital formats like iTunes and Netflix.

16:9 is anamorphic, films are presented in 16:9 but adapted from either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (2.39:1 in some cases)

Most films are actually letterbox which is 2.35:1 where even on a widescreen TV you will still get a border top and bottom.

TV shows and some films too are 1.85:1 which fills up most of the 16:9 aspect ratio.

---

But anyway my point was that if I play a letterboxed movie on both devices, even though the ipad mini has a 4:3 aspect ratio for the screen, it actually delivers a bigger picture than the Nexus 7 which has a 16:9 ratio. And because the ipad mini has smaller bezel in landscape (top & bottom) it doesn't look that much different to the nexus 7.

So to say 4:3 is not as good for movie playback, isn't the whole story. In this instance the benefits of the 16:9 are hindered by the fact the device has a narrower screen, and yet the 4:3 device which has to display larger bars top and bottom actually still manages to display a bigger picture.

So certainly from the point of letterbox (2.35:1 or 2.39:1) ratio, the mini is not as hindered by its 4:3 screen as one would imagine. :)

A true 1.85:1 (16:9) picture does look bigger on the nexus 7 but again only by the slight amount that ipad mini looks bigger with 2.35:1 letter box stuff.

On the other hand if your watching old TV shows via Netflix or BBC iplayer then the 4:3 picture on the ipad mini wins out as the borders to each horizontal side on the nexus 7 make a 4:3 image seem quite small indeed.

Swings & roundabouts :-)

___

But in general on this topic regarding the mini v nexus 7.

Both are great little tablets, I still don't quite understand why people have to constantly turn everything into piss fight over them to be honest, neither are perfect and either make good tablets. Preference and value is all subjective and personal, it doesn't make your decision right for everyone, only right for you.

I've both, (i bought the nexus 7 with my iPad 3, but i have now side-graded my iPad 3 to a mini because i prefer smaller devices) I am now considering selling the nexus 7 simply because I have a ONE X and both are serving the same or similar purpose right now.

gregrose
Nov 5, 2012, 11:40 AM
love my nexus 7, i take it everywhere with me now, perfect size tablet. and i keep my ipad 2 at home :)

jsw
Nov 5, 2012, 11:43 AM
But in general on this topic regarding the mini v nexus 7.

Both are great little tablets, I still don't quite understand why people have to constantly turn everything into piss fight over them to be honest, neither are perfect and either make good tablets. Preference and value is all subjective and personal, it doesn't make your decision right for everyone, only right for you.
Well said.

kas23
Nov 5, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hey guys, I've been driving all over the DC metropolitan area looking to lay my hands on a Nexus 7, but no one seems to have them. Any ideas of where I should go? I've been to Best Buy, BB Mobile, and AT&T.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, I've been driving all over the DC metropolitan area looking to lay my hands on a Nexus 7, but no one seems to have them. Any ideas of where I should go? I've been to Best Buy, BB Mobile, and AT&T.

None of those stores carry them. Try Walmart, Stapled, Office Depot or GameStop.

Rodster
Nov 5, 2012, 04:54 PM

Try Walmart they carry them. I stopped a Walmart in SW Florida and they had two of the 32GB models. :)

kas23
Nov 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
Try Walmart they carry them. I stopped a Walmart in SW Florida and they had two of the 32GB models. :)

They don't have Wal-Mart where I live. I actually never thought I would say that. The only other 2 places I heard are Staples and GameStop. I think they really need to market it better. These are not exactly great stores to shop at.

53x12
Nov 5, 2012, 05:46 PM
They don't have Wal-Mart where I live. I actually never thought I would say that. The only other 2 places I heard are Staples and GameStop. I think they really need to market it better. These are not exactly great stores to shop at.

Don't have a Wallyworld? That can't be possible.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 05:48 PM

There are other stores that sell them, maybe even Target, not sure. They are out there, jump on Google Play and look up where to buy them. But what is wrong with Staples, Office Depot, Target and GameStop? They are fine stores to shop at. Not exactly sure what your comment means.

kas23
Nov 5, 2012, 06:01 PM
But what is wrong with Staples, Office Depot, Target and GameStop? They are fine stores to shop at. Not exactly sure what your comment means.

Those stores aren't the ones that immediately jump to mind when thinking about buying a tablet. That's all.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 06:08 PM
Those stores aren't the ones that immediately jump to mind when thinking about buying a tablet. That's all.

Ah, I agree, but other than Best Buy, there aren't any true electronic shops anymore. Not sure why BB does't carry it, odd.

thinkinblue613
Nov 5, 2012, 06:16 PM
love my nexus 7, i take it everywhere with me now, perfect size tablet. and i keep my ipad 2 at home :)

I noticed I like the Nexus 7 when in the car, while the iPad is better in the living room.

I've used both systems and can see them coexisting in the same household. I'm leaning more towards keeping the Nexus 7 in the car. I'm debating whether I should mount it or do a custom install. The way I see it, it is more affordable than those double DIN Pioneer head units which aren't even that great for the $.

The iPad is better at home, especially with Apple TV. Using it as a middleman between my computer and the television is convenient. Plex is an awesome experience with iPad + AirPlay. I like how it integrates with my Macs and Google's services, as well. FaceTime is great since a lot of people I communicate with use that.

Both devices have great app stores. The difference is Android is more smartphone focused, while the iPad has more dedicated apps. I liked using Flipboard, Yelp, Evernote, Dropbox, and Plex on the iPad. Apps like GoodReader and PenUltimate are better and exclusive to iOS. The reader feature on the iPad is my favorite when reading articles. They should add more gestures to Safari, there's a lot of potential there.

For me, web browsing and PDF reading is better used on a 4:3 screen. While watching movies and TV shows was better on the Nexus 7's 720p and 16:9 screen. I didn't like the wasted space on the top and bottom while I was watching in landscape mode. Small deals, but those are the trade offs with their display ratios. The touchscreen is also better on the iPad, the bounce effect makes a funky difference. Also, the stylus responds better with the iPad than the Nexus. I like the sound output of the iPad more than the Nexus, but the placement of the 3.5mm jack is ergonomically better on the Nexus.

I'm still trying to justify the price tag on it though. I got the 32gb model and its almost $480 out the door. That's a little bit too much cheese for a spec compromised device (512mb memory, non-retina). I do like them both and each has its pros and cons. It's all up to your preferences and lifestyle. To really use Android, you have to spend time to make it run how you want. Apple is simple, straight forward and works right out of the box.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 06:27 PM
I noticed I like the Nexus 7 when in the car, while the iPad is better in the living room.

I've used both systems and can see them coexisting in the same household. I'm leaning more towards keeping the Nexus 7 in the car. I'm debating whether I should mount it or do a custom install. The way I see it, it is more affordable than those double DIN Pioneer head units which aren't even that great for the $.

The iPad is better at home, especially with Apple TV. Using it as a middleman between my computer and the television is convenient. Plex is an awesome experience with iPad + AirPlay. I like how it integrates with my Macs and Google's services, as well. FaceTime is great since a lot of people I communicate with use that.

Both devices have great app stores. The difference is Android is more smartphone focused, while the iPad has more dedicated apps. I liked using Flipboard, Yelp, Evernote, Dropbox, and Plex on the iPad. Apps like GoodReader and PenUltimate are better and exclusive to iOS. The reader feature on the iPad is my favorite when reading articles. They should add more gestures to Safari, there's a lot of potential there.

For me, web browsing and PDF reading is better used on a 4:3 screen. While watching movies and TV shows was better on the Nexus 7's 720p and 16:9 screen. I didn't like the wasted space on the top and bottom while I was watching in landscape mode. Small deals, but those are the trade offs with their display ratios. The touchscreen is also better on the iPad, the bounce effect makes a funky difference. Also, the stylus responds better with the iPad than the Nexus. I like the sound output of the iPad more than the Nexus, but the placement of the 3.5mm jack is ergonomically better on the Nexus.

I'm still trying to justify the price tag on it though. I got the 32gb model and its almost $480 out the door. That's a little bit too much cheese for a spec compromised device (512mb memory, non-retina). I do like them both and each has its pros and cons. It's all up to your preferences and lifestyle. To really use Android, you have to spend time to make it run how you want. Apple is simple, straight forward and works right out of the box.

Wow, this may be the first level headed and well balanced comment on the two devices I have read here! BTW, I agree 100% about the iPad and Apple TV, while some apps can airplay from Android, it is not as universally easy like an iPad or iPhone.

Rodster
Nov 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
Wow, this may be the first level headed and well balanced comment on the two devices I have read here! BTW, I agree 100% about the iPad and Apple TV, while some apps can airplay from Android, it is not as universally easy like an iPad or iPhone.

Supposedly Android 4.2 is to address Androids version of Airplay.

http://www.zdnet.com/android-4-2s-four-best-new-features-7000006633/
2) Miracast: From Tablet and Smartphone to TV
"Apple recently introduced AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5 and Mac OS X, Mountain Lion. With it, you can throw your screen to any Apple TV-equipped television. Android 4.2 will let you do the same thing with any TV, DVD-player, or other media device that supports Miracast.

Miracast is the trade name for Wi-Fi Direct or WiDi. This is an 802.11n compatible network protocol for display-sharing. With a compatible device or a Miracast adapter, you'll be able to stream Internet TV shows and movies from your smartphone or tablet to your TV. Miracast adapters will be available this quarter."

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 06:56 PM
Supposedly Android 4.2 is to address Androids version of Airplay.

http://www.zdnet.com/android-4-2s-four-best-new-features-7000006633/
2) Miracast: From Tablet and Smartphone to TV
"Apple recently introduced AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5 and Mac OS X, Mountain Lion. With it, you can throw your screen to any Apple TV-equipped television. Android 4.2 will let you do the same thing with any TV, DVD-player, or other media device that supports Miracast.

Miracast is the trade name for Wi-Fi Direct or WiDi. This is an 802.11n compatible network protocol for display-sharing. With a compatible device or a Miracast adapter, you'll be able to stream Internet TV shows and movies from your smartphone or tablet to your TV. Miracast adapters will be available this quarter."

Yes I read that, the suck part is I already own three Apple TV's in my living room, workout room and in my garage; I really do not want to buy another adapter; but may for the garage or workout room where all the content I listen to or watch out there is streamed or airplayed now.

Vegastouch
Nov 5, 2012, 09:06 PM

Staples, Office Max, Office Depot

SlCKB0Y
Nov 5, 2012, 10:10 PM
I noticed I like ...

Oh my god. A well reasoned, unbiased review of both of these tablets in this thread....
;)

Congratulations!

smwatson
Nov 6, 2012, 05:56 AM
This might not be the best place to ask but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm going to purchase a Nexus 7 16GB this month. I have a pretty sizeable iTunes library (18500 songs ish) that I'd like to be able to access all of on the Nexus. I'll be almost always connected to WiFi while using it.

When Google Music launches in the UK, is it simply a case of uploading my library to the cloud, and then streaming/downloading from there? How easy is it to stream Nexus 7 audio to Airport express?

I also have a Samsung HDTV (UE40D5520). Is it possible to mirror the Nexus 7's display on the HDTV, through DNLA or similar? I currently use Samsung's AllShare with TVMOBILI on my MacBook. Is there a similar app available for the Nexus? Whats Miracast?

Thanks!

daveathall
Nov 6, 2012, 06:06 AM
I noticed I....

Oh my god. A well reasoned, unbiased review of both of these tablets in this thread....
;)
Congratulations!

Agreed, excellent.:)

RetepNamenots
Nov 6, 2012, 06:25 AM
This might not be the best place to ask but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm going to purchase a Nexus 7 16GB this month. I have a pretty sizeable iTunes library (18500 songs ish) that I'd like to be able to access all of on the Nexus. I'll be almost always connected to WiFi while using it.

When Google Music launches in the UK, is it simply a case of uploading my library to the cloud, and then streaming/downloading from there? How easy is it to stream Nexus 7 audio to Airport express?

I also have a Samsung HDTV (UE40D5520). Is it possible to mirror the Nexus 7's display on the HDTV, through DNLA or similar? I currently use Samsung's AllShare with TVMOBILI on my MacBook. Is there a similar app available for the Nexus? Whats Miracast?

Thanks!

Google music is being released in the UK on the 13th. In the meantime you can register with a US IP address (the IP doesn't matter after this).

Currently you need to upload your entire library which sucks, however the next version of Google Music will scan your library as iTunes Match does. Perhaps this will be out on the 13th too?

All your music will show up in the Music app on the device.

A quick Google reveals that you can apparently stream music to an Airport Express, although I've never tested them myself.

As for mirroring the display - I think that's a non-starter, unfortunately.

smwatson
Nov 6, 2012, 06:51 AM
Google music is being released in the UK on the 13th. In the meantime you can register with a US IP address (the IP doesn't matter after this).

Currently you need to upload your entire library which sucks, however the next version of Google Music will scan your library as iTunes Match does. Perhaps this will be out on the 13th too?

All your music will show up in the Music app on the device.

This sounds fine. I don't mind uploading everything. In fact, I wish iTunes Match let you do that because it just doesn't work for me at all.

A quick Google reveals that you can apparently stream music to an Airport Express, although I've never tested them myself.

I saw varying opinions on Google on how easy it is, but I'll just have a play around.

As for mirroring the display - I think that's a non-starter, unfortunately.

Ah well!

Pjstock42
Nov 6, 2012, 03:16 PM
Releasing the mini with an outdated, grainy display makes absolutely no sense when the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch and iPad all have retina displays.

I'll buy one when they come out with a retina version in 5/6 months.

michaeljohn
Nov 6, 2012, 04:02 PM
Releasing the mini with an outdated, grainy display makes absolutely no sense when the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch and iPad all have retina displays.

I'll buy one when they come out with a retina version in 5/6 months.

I do photo and video work professionally and the display is just fine for me. The general public has very little clue about display resolution and ppi and it will be fine for most of them as well. I have owned all 3 iPads and chose the mini for its extremely light weight, smaller size and portability, not its display resolution or its ppi. I am sure many others have done the exact same.

Pjstock42
Nov 6, 2012, 04:34 PM
I do photo and video work professionally and the display is just fine for me. The general public has very little clue about display resolution and ppi and it will be fine for most of them as well. I have owned all 3 iPads and chose the mini for its extremely light weight, smaller size and portability, not its display resolution or its ppi. I am sure many others have done the exact same.

I see your point but they easily could have put a retina display on this device yet they chose to withhold it and will undoubtedly add it into the next iteration.

cynics
Nov 6, 2012, 04:49 PM
I see your point but they easily could have put a retina display on this device yet they chose to withhold it and will undoubtedly add it into the next iteration.

And it will look like crap like the iPad 2. Which didn't really look like crap until you see the 3. My Xoom has a similar ppi lol...

blackhand1001
Nov 6, 2012, 08:13 PM

I prefer the iPad Mini.

The transformer and nexus 7 are not 16:9. They are 16:10.

Technarchy
Nov 6, 2012, 09:05 PM
The transformer and nexus 7 are not 16:9. They are 16:10.

Even worse

blackhand1001
Nov 6, 2012, 09:53 PM
Even worse

How is that worse. That's closer to 4:3 than 16:9. I personally believe 16:10 is the best ratio. Eveyone here knows your a troll.

Technarchy
Nov 6, 2012, 10:53 PM
How is that worse. That's closer to 4:3 than 16:9. I personally believe 16:10 is the best ratio. Eveyone here knows your a troll.

Everything unpleasant about 16:9 is present in 16:10 when it comes to tablets. And at the same size you a much larger image display area with 4:3.

TV's monitors and phones are a different animal.

http://www.tru-vumonitors.com/images/650_Aspect_Ratio_Comparison.jpg

technowar
Nov 7, 2012, 02:36 AM
Well for me, 7" tablet is my sweet spot. So basically, I have my eyes on both NX7 and iPad Mini but there's no way I will be buying the iPad Mini when it is equipped with a-not-so-retina-display display. I also want to try the thing they called Android experience. Since I am in the SEA, NX7 + 3G will be available here until next year though it won't matter to me. The point is, should I get myself the NX7 and sell it afterwards for a refresh iPad Mini with retina next year?

Rodster
Nov 7, 2012, 02:44 AM

I still own monitors with a 1280x1024 resolution and for me that's the best for reading and webpages. I do think the 16:10 format is the best compromise for a widescreen but I still love the 4:3 and 5:4 aspect ratio. :)

----------

Well for me, 7" tablet is my sweet spot. So basically, I have my eyes on both NX7 and iPad Mini but there's no way I will be buying the iPad Mini when it is equipped with a-not-so-retina-display display. I also want to try the thing they called Android experience. Since I am in the SEA, NX7 + 3G will be available here until next year though it won't matter to me. The point is, should I get myself the NX7 and sell it afterwards for a refresh iPad Mini with retina next year?

As always buy what you need NOW because technology changes rapidly. In a years time the newer Nexus 7 could blow the doors off the current Nexus 7 and could make you think hard about the next Mini.

I still have my doubts the next Mini will have retina, we'll see. I do think it will get the A6 chip.

technowar
Nov 7, 2012, 02:50 AM
Thank you for pointing that out Rodster. I guess I'll be sticking to NX7 until iPad Mini gets a retina. I think the app selection for Android tablet is what is holding me back.

Rodster
Nov 7, 2012, 03:06 AM
Thank you for pointing that out Rodster. I guess I'll be sticking to NX7 until iPad Mini gets a retina. I think the app selection for Android tablet is what is holding me back.

On average there is NO shortage of Google apps and with the success of the Nexus 7 you can expect more apps specific to android tablets will be made. Google has hit the 700K threshold.

So my suggestion is to go to the Google Play store and compare your favorite iOS app to theirs. :)

technowar
Nov 7, 2012, 03:08 AM
As I was surfing xda forums, I found several thread about the display, battery, etc, well basically about the build that isn't pleasing.

Also, I guess the apps found in Google Play is more on smartphones than tablets.

Rodster
Nov 7, 2012, 03:17 AM
As I was surfing xda forums, I found several thread about the display, battery, etc, well basically about the build that isn't pleasing.

Also, I guess the apps found in Google Play is more on smartphones than tablets.

Keep in mind the Nexus 7 is sold at cost. It's not like Google is making $149 profit on each device. That said the screen looks good enough. The battery IS acceptable at around 8hrs maybe more depending on your tweaks. The build quality is decent. The only issue is the infamous screen lift on the left side. At first that was a big problem. Now it's mostly gone. If you get one just exchange it for a new one.

As far as apps go those are hit and miss as well. Keep in mind prior to the Nexus 7 android was all about phones. Now it's the Nexus 7/10 and Samsung has begun to sell lots of tablets lately.

Honestly 90% of the android apps/games I use scale nicely on a wide range of tablets.

technowar
Nov 7, 2012, 03:20 AM
That's the point about the screen lift, I am in living in the SEA part of the world. I just can't ask for a replacement.

Rodster
Nov 7, 2012, 03:27 AM
That's the point about the screen lift, I am in living in the SEA part of the world. I just can't ask for a replacement.

The screen lift is more of an eyesore and only noticeable if you hold it at the right angle you might see a ever so slight lift. It doesn't affect the overall performance of the device. The reason it became an issue with most is because most have some level of OCD and want perfection from everything they buy.

And I bet a large majority of those would not have realized it if they had not read about it. In other words my very first Nexus 7 worked awesome until I read about the infamous screen lift. At that point my brain said unacceptable. :rolleyes:

If I would have never known about the screen lift I would have been a happy camper with my 1st Nexus 7 to this day.

technowar
Nov 7, 2012, 03:43 AM
Well sadly I am one OCD'ly guy. There's noone to blame here, after all it only costs 199. But that is not the point, you are paying for it and these guys give you some cr*p.

Rodster
Nov 7, 2012, 04:20 AM
If that's the case I would buy one from a retailer that has a good return policy. I recently purchased a N7 that had no screen lift.

daveathall
Nov 7, 2012, 05:06 AM
I have had a play with a white iPad mini today, I think it is a stunning device, I don't have the best eye sight in the world but the screen is well within what I discern as good. After reading some posts here I was expecting a fuzzy screen, as far as I'm concerned, that just isn't the case. I had no other Apple products at the time with retina in which to compare, I also did not have a Nexus 7, although I have had a quick play with one some weeks ago.

TBH, IMHO it all boils down to price, if one can afford the iPad mini, then that would be the one I would pick, if one can't, I firmly believe that the Nexus 7 will also give superb enjoyment for over a hundred quid cheaper.

paulsalter
Nov 7, 2012, 05:23 AM
Whats the reading experience like for eBooks on the mini

I use the 7 a lot for reading and find the size is about the same as a paperback book

maflynn
Nov 7, 2012, 05:30 AM

I use the 7 a lot for reading and find the size is about the same as a paperback book

Its no Kindle, but I think its fine. I have poor eye sight and I don't notice any increased eye strain from the mini. If you used an iPad 1 or an iPad 2 for reading, then that gives you a good idea of the text quality imo

----------

4. Apps- The main reason I switched to the mini was better apps and I can say it was a good switch. The same apps I have on my Nexus 7 are just overall better on the iPad Mini, plus I can finally use some apps that were missing from the google play store.

This is the number one reason for my choosing the mini over the N7. I think the N7 has a lot going for it, but at this point, I'm entrenched in the iOS ecosystem. While I can a few things with the N7 (at a cheaper price), I lose out on too many advantages that the mini brings to the table in meeting my needs

paulsalter
Nov 7, 2012, 05:31 AM
Its no Kindle, but I think its fine. I have poor eye sight and I don't notice any increased eye strain from the mini. If you used an iPad 1 or an iPad 2 for reading, then that gives you a good idea of the text quality imo

Thanks, seen it on an iPad 2 but not anything newer than that

The mini is certainly tempting, at some point in the future

maflynn
Nov 7, 2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks, seen it on an iPad 2 but not anything newer than that

The mini is certainly tempting, at some point in the future

The N7 on paper looks like a really goo tablet, add to that those who own it and love it. I think its an excellent tablet at a very cheap price, but I think when you put it all together what the mini brings to the table, outweighs what advantages the N7 may have - at least for my needs :)

paulsalter
Nov 7, 2012, 05:41 AM
The N7 on paper looks like a really goo tablet, add to that those who own it and love it. I think its an excellent tablet at a very cheap price, but I think when you put it all together what the mini brings to the table, outweighs what advantages the N7 may have - at least for my needs :)

I agree on what you say, for my needs I need a bit more time with google to see how things go (only been android for just under a year, been on iOS since almost the start)

with the play store improving (in the uk) by adding movies purchases and music (next week) I am going to see

I am in a mixture of Android/iOS eco systems at the moment so working out which better suits my needs

daveathall
Nov 7, 2012, 06:04 AM

Its no Kindle, but I think its fine. I have poor eye sight and I don't notice any increased eye strain from the mini. If you used an iPad 1 or an iPad 2 for reading, then that gives you a good idea of the text quality imo[COLOR="#808080"]

I think this is a very fair answer and I echo its content, I didn't have it long enough to test for eye strain but (for me) it was certainly easy enough to read, and I couldn't notice any pixels but as previously said, my eyesight isn't the best in the world.

----------

I agree on what you say, for my needs I need a bit more time with google to see how things go (only been android for just under a year, been on iOS since almost the start)

with the play store improving (in the uk) by adding movies purchases and music (next week) I am going to see

I am in a mixture of Android/iOS eco systems at the moment so working out which better suits my needs

I agree, I haven't long been with Android, I am looking forward to putting all my music with Google, I am used to, and comfortable with iTunes ATM. I have an iPod classic that I store most of my music that I use in the car, I also store it on a NAS that I use to stream music around the house using a Sonus system. I dont use my phone or iPad 1 for music.

blackhand1001
Nov 7, 2012, 09:02 AM
Keep in mind the Nexus 7 is sold at cost. It's not like Google is making $149 profit on each device. That said the screen looks good enough. The battery IS acceptable at around 8hrs maybe more depending on your tweaks. The build quality is decent. The only issue is the infamous screen lift on the left side. At first that was a big problem. Now it's mostly gone. If you get one just exchange it for a new one.

As far as apps go those are hit and miss as well. Keep in mind prior to the Nexus 7 android was all about phones. Now it's the Nexus 7/10 and Samsung has begun to sell lots of tablets lately.

Honestly 90% of the android apps/games I use scale nicely on a wide range of tablets.

Most reviewers actually got better battery life with the nexus 7. I know at least engadget did. The tegra 3 has an extra low power companion core that is used for a lot of tasks like video playback and background tasks. Keep in mind that battery life is also heavily dependent on usage. Different tasks drain differents amounts.

As for the nexus 4 and nexus 10. I would wait for the final software to be out before judging their battery and performance. The review units google sent out didn't have the final software and there was some major 4.2 kernel issues regarding performance and battery compared to 4.1.2 that will be ironed out by launch.

shiinx
Nov 7, 2012, 10:05 AM
The one thing that drove me away from the Nexus 7 (but not into the arms of the iPad mini, mind you) was the fact, that in landscape mode the screen real estate gets really narrow. With not being able to hide top- and softkey-bars in general, you already get less space. Then when using some apps, it gets even worse. For example, the tabs and urlbar in chrome leave only about 1280x640 for actual content.

smwatson
Nov 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
The one thing that drove me away from the Nexus 7 (but not into the arms of the iPad mini, mind you) was the fact, that in landscape mode the screen real estate gets really narrow. With not being able to hide top- and softkey-bars in general, you already get less space. Then when using some apps, it gets even worse. For example, the tabs and urlbar in chrome leave only about 1280x640 for actual content.

Which is about the same as my 13 inch MacBook. That'll do for me!

shiinx
Nov 7, 2012, 10:32 AM
Which is about the same as my 13 inch MacBook. That'll do for me!

I thought so too. The MBP13 has a resolution of 1280x800 - the same as the Nexus 7. But then, I keep the dock hidden to get more space on the screen (this would be equal to hiding the softkey bar on the nexus).

smwatson
Nov 7, 2012, 10:33 AM
I thought so too. The MBP13 has a resolution of 1280x800 - the same as the Nexus 7. But then, I keep the dock hidden to get more space on the screen (this would be equal to hiding the softkey bar on the nexus).

I guess you probably end up with a bit more space on the MB. But you also have a bigger screen (and it's a laptop!) so you'd hope that would be the case.

Either way, there are a few browsers that offer full-screen mode. And Google will surely add it to Chrome at some point.

shiinx
Nov 7, 2012, 10:39 AM
I guess you probably end up with a bit more space on the MB. But you also have a bigger screen (and it's a laptop!) so you'd hope that would be the case.

Either way, there are a few browsers that offer full-screen mode. And Google will surely add it to Chrome at some point.

Ah okay, then I should check them out. Does fullscreen mode mean without urlbar and tabs or without the OS bars (like in a movie player)?

Regarding Google, I'd rather have them move the softkeys to the left or right side in landscape mode or allow them to vanish until you perform a certain gesture.

unlinked
Nov 7, 2012, 09:09 PM

Isn't that just an argument for using it in portrait? To each his own I guess but that seems like the intended orientation since the launcher didn't even support landscape until the last release.

tbayrgs
Nov 7, 2012, 09:16 PM
I've been a longtime iPad owner (1 through 3), have been using a Nexus 7 for over a month, and just picked up an iPad Mini a couple of days ago to compare. Thought I'd give my early impressions regarding the Nexus 7 vs. the iPad Mini.

Mini Pros:

Terrific build quality and exceptional materials--very thin and light, aluminum and glass feel solid
Bright, vibrant screen
Larger screen--extra 0.9" and 4:3 ratio does give a lot more screen real estate
iOS ecosystem (high quality apps)

Mini Cons:

Inferior screen resolution--definitely noticable next to the Nexus 7 and iPad 3/4
Dated processor
Price

Nexus 7 Pros:

Good build quality and good materials--not a match for the Mini (IMO)--larger gaps, but still feels solid and I do like the grippiness of the back material
720p screen resolution
Flexibility of Android--can pretty much customize it exactly how you'd like it
Price

Nexus 7 Cons:

16:9 screen ratio--less ideal for portrait but even worse in landscape for anything other than viewing movies
App quality--I've you'd dozens of apps on both iOS and Android on both a phone and tablet and they generally just don't match up to iOS. I'll elaborate further but this point has already been discussed to death prior to my post and I think it still holds true
screen colors and brightness not as good as iPad's
screen size when coupled with lost space (on screen buttons/status bar)

The Nexus 7 was my second foray into Android (Galaxy Nexus being the first) and overall it's been a good experience. Thanks to using it, I realize that I really like the smaller form factor and as a result, thought I'd give the iPad Mini a try with the hopes that I could ditch the iPad 3 (which I love, just would rather use a single 7" device), but more on that in a minute.

First the Nexus. It's a very good device. I has a nice weight in the hand and is very easy to hold for extended periods of time due to the nice grippy back and narrow profile. It also has a good (not great) screen--text renders nice and sharp and colors are good but a little too warm (it is somewhat on the yellowish side vs. cooler iPad Mini). I also am not a big fan of the 16:9 ratio as it makes the display a bit too narrow in portrait and really limits the display in landscape, especially due to the status bar/on screen buttons at the bottom. The higher resolution coupled with the screen size limitations actually make native font rendering a bit tool small. That being said, having full autonomy over customize the device to your liking is great. I like using large widgets on a tablet--have them for my calendar, Facebook, Twitter and Flipboard. I even have a live wallpaper than incorporates local weather, time, and battery life. Unfortunately, app quality still doesn't match up with iOS, especially for tablets. Far too many apps are just larger versions of phone apps. I also find web browsing inferior vs. iOS--not as smooth, selecting links is hit or miss. Chrome isn't great--I actually prefer the stock Browser app that's not even included in JB on the Nexus, but thankfully the Paranoid Android custom ROM I installed does include it. Also, highlighting text or moving the cursor is not as easy in Android.

The Mini is also good device. The form factor is terrific--great materials and build quality and while larger than the N7, in many ways feels smaller--really like how they minimized the bezel on the sides. While you certainly can't do everything one handed, because it feels so light and thin, you can actually hold it in one hand and do simple navigation with that same hand (turn pages in Kindle/iBooks/Flipboard, scroll up and down in Safari). My personal issues with the device start and end with the display.

It's not a bad display--very good colors and brightness. The real problem is the resolution (no surprise). If I hadn't used anything better than an iPad 2 prior to using the Mini (and that includes any iPhone since the 4), I probably would be very happy with it. However, after using the iPad 3 for 7 months and the Nexus 7 for only a month, the inferior pixel density on the Mini was immediately noticeable to my eye. Putting them side by side just highlights the problem further. Text wasn't as smooth and pictures/graphics didn't pop as they did on either of the other devices. Also, and contrary to Apple's keynote, it results in less web page being display vs. a Nexus 7 (see my photos). And sadly, it became quite bothersome after just a couple of days of use. This issue alone is reason enough for me to have already decided to return it.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Mini. I generally prefer iOS and the Apple ecosystem and would compromise certain features to use them but in this case and considering the price difference, it's just not enough to overcome this flaw, in my personal opinion. It's not an superior device to the Nexus 7 (which is also far from perfect) and inferior to the iPad 3 (obviously) so I simply cannot justify replacing either of those 2 devices with this tablet, as I'd hoped. For the time being, I'll be sticking with the full size iPad and probably keep the Nexus for a while to continue to explore what Android offers. Once the Mini offers a higher resolution display and a bit more horsepower, it'll be the perfect tablet for my needs.

Screenshots:

1) Macrumors forums. Notice how the Nexus 7 actually natively displays more of the forum thread than the mini. Text is sharper, less washed out than on the Mini.

2) Zinio. While the text is sharper, the screen size is a problem for the Nexus, making text too small to read comfortably.

3) Flipboard. Another advantage for the Mini as app layout is superior to the Android version.

tbayrgs
Nov 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
A few more screen shots for comparison:

1) Amazon Kindle. The Mini's font size is 4 from the smallest while the Nexus is the smallest the app will allow

2) Engadget. Notice how much more of the webpage is viewable on the smaller Nexus.

3) ESPN. Same situation here--much more of the page displayed on the Nexus.

tbayrgs
Nov 7, 2012, 09:28 PM
Isn't that just an argument for using it in portrait? To each his own I guess but that seems like the intended orientation since the launcher didn't even support landscape until the last release.

ONLY the launcher didn't support it--doesn't mean you couldn't use it in landscape for all other apps. And I totally agree that landscape use is really compromised, especially when using the keyboard.

marc11
Nov 7, 2012, 09:34 PM
A few more screen shots for comparison:

1) Amazon Kindle. The Mini's font size is 4 from the smallest while the Nexus is the smallest the app will allow

2) Engadget. Notice how much more of the webpage is viewable on the smaller Nexus.

3) ESPN. Same situation here--much more of the page displayed on the Nexus.

Huh, so Apple made this big stink about how much more you can see on the larger mini....and yet....

tbayrgs
Nov 7, 2012, 09:40 PM
I wish people would stop using the term "build quality" when they mean "materials used". Build quality means lack of blemishes, misalignments, damage, ill fitting parts, etc. You can have EXCELLENT build quality with less expensive materials and you can have CRAP build quality with high end materials.

Agreed and edited my original summary to clarify build quality AND materials.

marc11
Nov 7, 2012, 09:41 PM
Agreed and edited my original summary to clarify build quality AND materials.

LOl and I edited out my comment because you did!

lianlua
Nov 7, 2012, 10:17 PM
Dated processor

Your post is a fair comparison except this one point. You should add the same to your list of cons for the Nexus 7--the CPU in the Tegra 3 is also a Cortex A9, same as what you'll find in the A5. They are both equally "dated", and it isn't a great way to compare hardware products. A brand new low-end GPU might not perform as well as an older, high-end model. That's the sort of effect going on here.
Huh, so Apple made this big stink about how much more you can see on the larger mini....and yet....
In most cases, you can fit quite a bit more content onto the iPad's screen, but it depends on the type of content and the display orientation. In landscape view, there is no comparison...the iPad displays over 50% more content across the board. In portrait mode, web content dynamically sized to fit the width will show an advantage to the N7 because it has about 20% more vertical pixels unless you scale the content so they're the same size--then the iPad display shows a lot more. But it's easier to read a Nexus 7 at smaller sizes for the web. Photos and videos show quite a bit more on the mini in either orientation, size-wise, as do e-books, which put a lot more on the mini's page if you're looking at a reflowing document or an A4/letter-sized PDF (where the N7's taller screen does not help).

You've also got to keep in mind that the text on either device for ESPN.com is difficult to read at native size. If you're looking at those posted photos on a regular laptop/desktop, at 100%, they're more than double the real-life size of the device displays. Zooming in to the same physical size on each device will again put the mini's display far ahead in content area.

Saturn1217
Nov 8, 2012, 08:30 PM
So my main concern with the iPad mini and the reason I'm typing this response on the Nexus 7 is that I hate reading small font sizes on the web. In safari unless I am mistaken you can't change the font size except by using the reader function. In chrome you can set a minimum text size without messing up the formatting of most web pages. It makes the web look like it was designed with you screen size in mind. In the pic posted earlier of the macrumors forum you can see this. Text is large and readable on the nexus 7 compared to the smaller text of the iPad mini even though the nexus 7 has less horizontal real estate.

To anyone who has actually used both devices is this an issue? I have 14 days to decide if the nexus 7 or the iPad mini is the way to go (and I couldn't afford to buy both devices). I like the nexus 7 but I would probably appreciate the form factor of the mini more. And while I don't consider apps to be my main use for a tablet I am kind of curious about the iOS ecosystem.

lianlua
Nov 8, 2012, 09:09 PM
In chrome you can set a minimum text size without messing up the formatting of most web pages. It makes the web look like it was designed with you screen size in mind.
You can do the same with a variety of alternative browsers on the iPad, but not with Safari. There are some other threads on it if you look around talking about the pros and cons of each. I believe the one called Perfect Browser is generally considered the easiest to use with regard to the minimum font size setting, but maybe someone else can chime in and point you in the right direction.

michaeljohn
Nov 9, 2012, 02:05 AM
iPad mini 2 rumors already heating up. The new display would kill any other 7 inch tablet on the market and if it gets the A6 or A6x chip, wow.

"But according to display manufacturer AU Optronics (AUO), the iPad Mini is already due a refresh and it claims it has been approached by Apple to develop a 497ppi screen for the next iPad Mini that would give it a 2048x1536 high-definition resolution, comparable with the Retina displays found on the fourth generation iPad, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro notebooks and four times greater than the 264ppi display found in the current iPad Mini."

SlCKB0Y
Nov 9, 2012, 05:16 AM
iPad mini 2 rumors already heating up. The new display would kill any other 7 inch tablet on the market and if it gets the A6 or A6x chip, wow.

"But according to display manufacturer AU Optronics (AUO), the iPad Mini is already due a refresh and it claims it has been approached by Apple to develop a 497ppi screen for the next iPad Mini that would give it a 2048x1536 high-definition resolution, comparable with the Retina displays found on the fourth generation iPad, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro notebooks and four times greater than the 264ppi display found in the current iPad Mini."

Who wrote that article? It's a total fail. The display on the current iPad mini is not 264PPI, it's 163PPI.

Also 2048 x 1536 in a 7.9" screen is not 497PPI, it's 324PPI.

If this news is true and this gets into the mainstream media, Apple will be insanely pissed about this as it could very well cause a major drop in iPad mini sales as well as alienate people who have just bought one.

Rodster
Nov 9, 2012, 08:06 AM
Who wrote that article? It's a total fail. The display on the current iPad mini is not 264PPI, it's 163PPI.

Also 2048 x 1536 in a 7.9" screen is not 497PPI, it's 324PPI.

If this news is true and this gets into the mainstream media, Apple will be insanely pissed about this as it could very well cause a major drop in iPad mini sales as well as alienate people who have just bought one.

I don't think Apple will notice. They're too busy hiring/firing and shuffling executives within the company.

FFR
Nov 11, 2012, 01:47 AM

Yeah they are too busy trying to keep up with demand, between the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini they will have a wonderful quarter.

----------

So my main concern with the iPad mini and the reason I'm typing this response on the Nexus 7 is that I hate reading small font sizes on the web. In safari unless I am mistaken you can't change the font size except by using the reader function. In chrome you can set a minimum text size without messing up the formatting of most web pages. It makes the web look like it was designed with you screen size in mind. In the pic posted earlier of the macrumors forum you can see this. Text is large and readable on the nexus 7 compared to the smaller text of the iPad mini even though the nexus 7 has less horizontal real estate.

To anyone who has actually used both devices is this an issue? I have 14 days to decide if the nexus 7 or the iPad mini is the way to go (and I couldn't afford to buy both devices). I like the nexus 7 but I would probably appreciate the form factor of the mini more. And while I don't consider apps to be my main use for a tablet I am kind of curious about the iOS ecosystem.

Go pick up an iPad mini and see for yourself.
I was having doubts about the non retina screen.
But that has been alleviated.
Good luck :)

PracticalMac
Nov 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for your review!