Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Hey I'm getting into digital video, anyone know of a good digital camera I can use with my Mac Mini(or Powerbook) to do some interesting videos that will look DECENT(or better ;-) ) on a DVD or moniter (HDTV is no where found in a 1000 miles from my house so I don't need that I don't think.) I don't know what to look for. Any help? Thanks!

fordlemon

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
canon

ZicklePop said:
Hey I'm getting into digital video, anyone know of a good digital camera I can use with my Mac Mini(or Powerbook) to do some interesting videos that will look DECENT(or better ;-) ) on a DVD or moniter (HDTV is no where found in a 1000 miles from my house so I don't need that I don't think.) I don't know what to look for. Any help? Thanks!

get a canon

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
pick up a used canon optura 10 or 20, amazing picture quality for a 1 chip. the best i've seen out of any. optura 10's go from $150-300, 20's for $280-450.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
im going to have to disagree on that with everybody else. If you want good picture quality, I would recommend getting a Sony. You will be much happier. Plus better night quality with the sony for night shots if u so care but in general, the Sony's offer you a sharper sense of things with more true life colors imho.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Consumer-level Sony's are much better than consumer-level Canons. I worked with many Consumer Canon's and Sonys in the start of my video production career, and I can tell you that the Canon's picture quality is much more grainy than the Sony's.

I would get a Sony.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
I started on an Optura PI that I got in 99' when I first started. I started borrowing and renting Panasonic AGDVX100AS. I also used a couple different Sony's. Half a year ago I got a Canon XL2 and it is wonderful. I agree with the other member. Start at an Optura, they are cheap an offer good picture with more than a few features (No night vision, you won't find it on most "serious" cameras.)

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Jopling said:
I started on an Optura PI that I got in 99' when I first started. I started borrowing and renting Panasonic AGDVX100AS. I also used a couple different Sony's. Half a year ago I got a Canon XL2 and it is wonderful. I agree with the other member. Start at an Optura, they are cheap an offer good picture with more than a few features (No night vision, you won't find it on most "serious" cameras.)

you would be surprised man how much its used now. I do editing works for the True Life series on MTV and most of it is just shot on consumer level camera's and night shot is used and accepted. Gives everything a sense of intensity and your there feel but thats just in MTV's case.

I do agreeif your serious about work and short films and such, you will never use night shot.

Having said that, I thought about the XL2, used to work alot with the XL1 and panasonic GL100 but im going the FX100 way from sony. Native WideScreen, HD. :) yummie.
no SLR input though, but thats ok

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
illegalprelude said:
you would be surprised man how much its used now. I do editing works for the True Life series on MTV and most of it is just shot on consumer level camera's and night shot is used and accepted. Gives everything a sense of intensity and your there feel but thats just in MTV's case.

I do agreeif your serious about work and short films and such, you will never use night shot.

Having said that, I thought about the XL2, used to work alot with the XL1 and panasonic GL100 but im going the FX100 way from sony. Native WideScreen, HD. :) yummie.
no SLR input though, but thats ok
Yeah, the Canon XL2 has everything except HD. It's nto too bad though. If you edit in FCP and you have it set to be in HD then you do color correcting the image appears in HD and people almost always think it was filmed in HD.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Jopling said:
Yeah, the Canon XL2 has everything except HD. It's nto too bad though. If you edit in FCP and you have it set to be in HD then you do color correcting the image appears in HD and people almost always think it was filmed in HD.
how does this process work? just wondering, wouldnt mind messing around with it. Also how do you do color correcting (i know thats not a simple answer lol but like where do you go to start color correcting?)

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
illegalprelude said:
how does this process work? just wondering, wouldnt mind messing around with it. Also how do you do color correcting (i know thats not a simple answer lol but like where do you go to start color correcting?)
Right click on the sequence and there is a preference there and you can set dimensions, number of lines, etc. You then go into effects and video filters and there are a couple of different color correctors.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
UGH, OMG!!!! They dropped 24p WHAT THE HELL!!!!? And it's still and XL2, not an XL3. They also doubled their price for HD only to drop 24p. I'd take 24p over HD anyday.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
Canon has all around good quality stuff...I would suggest the sony if you can afford them... The new VX2100 is amazing...but the low end and the high end canon stuff is really worth your money...go on ebay to find stuff too, you can find some killer deal's and get lots of lenses and filiters and such..

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
LethalWolfe said:
The source says "10-12k w/a lens" does that mean w/the stock lens or w/an additional lens? 'Cause if it's 10-12k out of the box it's way over priced compared to other cameras in its class.

-Andrew

Thank you!

I was looking into that camera as a possibility to buy next month, along with taking the plunge and buying FCP, however I will now be limited to working only from my G5, because neither my G4's or iBook G3 600 will be enough power anymore :(

Can some of you pros give us a small list of good cameras to consider?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.