PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Do any iPad cases better distribute the weight than others?

Broadus
Nov 2, 2012, 06:28 PM
I've read perceptions that some iPad cases make the weight of the iPad less noticeable than other cases, and the difference is not in the relative weight of the cases themselves. Is there anything to that? If so, what are some cases that better distribute the weight? I need to order a case for a third gen. iPad.

Candykwan
Nov 3, 2012, 07:25 PM
i find cases tend to make them heavier...never had one that made it seem lighter..that'd be pretty cool ^^

glen e
Nov 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
lotta overthinking here....

lightest case/protection is probably a smartcover and skin on the back - you want protection against drops, it's gonna add 6-8-10 oz....

Broadus
Nov 3, 2012, 09:04 PM
i find cases tend to make them heavier...never had one that made it seem lighter..that'd be pretty cool ^^

I did an internet search "ipad case weight distribution" and this was the first entry, a review of the 3rd gen. iPad Smart Case (http://reviews.cnet.com/cases-bags/apple-ipad-smart-case/4505-19214_7-35331778.html). Here is an excerpt:

Pop your iPad into the bottom of the Smart Case, and flexible rubberized edges form a secure fit while exposing most of the iPad's front glass. The case adds extra bezel around the edges, makes the iPad seem wider and a bit larger than before. Hand-held typing in portrait mode feels a tiny bit awkward, but for reading and for viewing media, especially one-handed (I ride a subway to work), it offers a comfy grip. Maybe it's the way the case handles weight distribution, but the iPad feels lighter to hold when in the Smart Case than when using a Smart Cover and a third-party back shell. It feels comfortable with the cover folded back, too.

glen e
Nov 3, 2012, 09:06 PM
I did an internet search "ipad case weight distribution" and this was the first entry, a review of the 3rd gen. iPad Smart Case (http://reviews.cnet.com/cases-bags/apple-ipad-smart-case/4505-19214_7-35331778.html). Here is an excerpt:

Pop your iPad into the bottom of the Smart Case, and flexible rubberized edges form a secure fit while exposing most of the iPad's front glass. The case adds extra bezel around the edges, makes the iPad seem wider and a bit larger than before. Hand-held typing in portrait mode feels a tiny bit awkward, but for reading and for viewing media, especially one-handed (I ride a subway to work), it offers a comfy grip. Maybe it's the way the case handles weight distribution, but the iPad feels lighter to hold when in the Smart Case than when using a Smart Cover and a third-party back shell. It feels comfortable with the cover folded back, too.

too bad it's substandard for many...do a search.....

Broadus
Nov 3, 2012, 09:23 PM
too bad its junk...do a search.....

I wasn't endorsing the Smart Case and don't intend to buy one. I remember when it came out that not many liked it. Frankly, I was surprised at Cnet's review.

The point in quoting the review was that there is a perception that weight distribution can make an object seem lighter or heavier than its actual weight would suggests. Perhaps you don't agree. That's fine, but the perception still exists. Do a search. ;)

glen e
Nov 3, 2012, 09:27 PM
I've never heard it exists, nor written up except in the review you posted above......but if you find some, please post them up...

Broadus
Nov 3, 2012, 09:30 PM
I remember reading of some, like a review of Twelve South's BookBook for the new iPad. Again, though, perception is a subjective thing.

takeshi74
Nov 3, 2012, 11:20 PM
Again, though, perception is a subjective thing.
Bingo -- that's precisely it. Not sure how reading the opinions of others is going to help when it's unknown whether their perception will be in line with your own or not. The only real way to answer your question is to check out some of the options in person one way or another.

Broadus
Nov 4, 2012, 01:31 PM
Bingo -- that's precisely it. Not sure how reading the opinions of others is going to help when it's unknown whether their perception will be in line with your own or not. The only real way to answer your question is to check out some of the options in person one way or another.

No doubt checking a case out in person is optimal, but unless you live in a decent-size city, it's not really possible. In reality, most things inherent to a case review is subjective, but such reviews can be helpful.

But this weight distribution thing exists. I handed an iPad 3 to our secretary and asked her to hold it. She was sitting at her desk. I then put the iPad back in the box that it was packaged in, though I didn't put the top of the box back on. I asked her if anything seemed different. She laughed and said that the iPad in the box seemed lighter than the iPad without the box. Obviously, the iPad in the box was not in reality lighter--it just seemed that way.

I think the same thing exists with iPad cases. I used to think that a thin case, perhaps something like the Devicewear Ridge, would be the best thing for an iPad as far as weight is concerned. Now I'm not so sure. Perhaps a thicker case that is fairly lightweight itself will make the iPad feel less weighty.