PDA

View Full Version : iPod nano Formatted for Windows Out of the Box

clayj
Sep 8, 2005, 05:03 PM
Hey all,

Just got my 4 GB white nano... and I noticed that it's formatted for Windows right out of the box.

Looks like Apple realizes that most people who purchase nanos are going to be Windows users.

dan-o-mac
Sep 8, 2005, 05:23 PM
So does that mean if I use a mac I could also use it on windows since it's formated for windows? That would be great, better than using my old work around which was xplay2.

jiv3turkey748
Sep 8, 2005, 05:35 PM
if its formatted for windows it still works on a mac right, you dont have to change anything do you, as long as it still works with a mac right out of the box i guss its ok

every ipod should come with an ad in the box about apple computers

mpw
Sep 8, 2005, 05:44 PM
...every ipod should come with an ad in the box about apple computers
It does, an iPod. Surely the best advert for Apple in the last few years?

javiercr
Sep 8, 2005, 05:50 PM
if its formatted for windows it still works on a mac right, you dont have to change anything do you, as long as it still works with a mac right out of the box i guss its ok

every ipod should come with an ad in the box about apple computers

yes a mac can use a win formated ipod, i keep my ipod win formated so i can use it as a USB HD to transfer files from mac to pcs at work.

iGary
Sep 8, 2005, 05:51 PM
I still cherish and hold onto my two iPod boxes that say "Mac and PC."

Then went the Firewire...

Now formatted for Winblows.
As long as the stock keeps going up I don't care. :p :D

Applespider
Sep 8, 2005, 06:26 PM

Exactly - Mac users who don't know how or want to reformat can just plug it in and use it. And so can Windows users - no point in alienating the majority of your customer base; many of whom are using it because of its ease of use and for whom reformatting would be a puzzle.

I had one girl in the office today telling me that iPods were rubbish because iTunes took 3 minutes to import a CD and her boyfriend's iRiver did it instantly. :confused:

iGary
Sep 8, 2005, 06:29 PM
Exactly - Mac users who don't know how or want to reformat can just plug it in and use it. And so can Windows users - no point in alienating the majority of your customer base; many of whom are using it because of its ease of use and for whom reformatting would be a puzzle.

I had one girl in the office today telling me that iPods were rubbish because iTunes took 3 minutes to import a CD and her boyfriend's iRiver did it instantly. :confused:

That's great, the company that made your player is out of business.

Next...

Applespider
Sep 8, 2005, 06:41 PM

Next...

I did point that out - after trying the rationale that surely he'd have to import this music before it would play on the iRiver but she was having none of it...
so I gave up and plugged myself back into my iPod.

jiv3turkey748
Sep 8, 2005, 06:44 PM
I still cherish and hold onto my two iPod boxes that say "Mac and PC."

Then went the Firewire...

Now formatted for Winblows.

that is total bs that it says pc+mac on the boxes

i cant believe steve would allow that

mkrishnan
Sep 8, 2005, 06:47 PM
I did point that out - after trying the rationale that surely he'd have to import this music before it would play on the iRiver but she was having none of it...
so I gave up and plugged myself back into my iPod.

Awww, I'm sorry. Sounds like a frustrating conversation. :( It does demonstrate, however, the iPod's additional utility as a stress reliever! :D

mrgreen4242
Sep 8, 2005, 07:23 PM

God I hate people like that. I can't take people who clearly have no idea how computers work... they completely lack all "technological common sense". Ah well, I at least get satisfaction when I charge them $40 an hour to come fix their computers. :)

bbarnhart
Sep 8, 2005, 08:43 PM
If it was formatted for the Mac, then if you wanted to use it as an external "hard drive", it will not work with Windows. However, the FAT Windows format will work with both Mac and Windows. I believe you can re-format it for the Mac.

zelmo
Sep 8, 2005, 08:49 PM
...every ipod should come with an ad in the box about apple computers

I wholeheartedly agree. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=133631)

dubbz
Sep 8, 2005, 09:03 PM

Next...

No. That's Rio.

(Just pointing it out since I own an iRiver myself).