Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Knowing fully well the new 920s would be here in a couple of weeks, I signed up for the Lumia 900.

It's plenty responsive and I have an ipad 3 and macbook air, im moving and couldn't afford the 150 dollar 920 so I went with the 900 instead.

I really love it so far, the tiles are great and it has all the apps that I use. A little confusing to navigate after being with Iphone for so long, but I still love this phone so far.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
A great handset, but the only problem is the lack of upgrades. Microsoft, and Nokia said this handset won't get the WP8 upgrade. Either way, enjoy your device!

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I love my 900, the app store is weaker, but it has the key ones i use, and i love the outlook and office integration it has for work. I am a bit sad that it wont get windows phone 8, but the phone works great for me now so its not a big deal, plus when i got mine it was like 50 bucks and I had some ms store gift cards so I got it for free lol.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Its free on amazon and att I think, I know Im getting one for my mom since she just needs a basic smartphone to read class emails, etc. for school. Figured Windows Phone is easy enough to learn and she doesnt want an iPhone.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
You just bought a 900? ooouucchh! It's a completely dead platform...

People still buy the iPhone 4 for free on contract cause they just want a simple phone and not pay, I can understand why they do, 900 is a nice phone just like the 4 is, not like they are 10 years old lol

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Yea but the iPhone 4 is still gets OS updates and has hundreds of thousands of Apps to choose from.

True, although the 900 will get the new windows phone 8 home screen and some other updates with 7.8, nokia also has some exclusive apps it will release, I am not saying it sucks it wont get the new OS but its a good phone as is.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Yea but the iPhone 4 is still gets OS updates and has hundreds of thousands of Apps to choose from.

Do you have Siri or Turn by Turn? Apple folks love claiming they get all these updates but theyre no better than the 7.8 update that the WP7 phones will be getting.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I love my 900, the app store is weaker, but it has the key ones i use, and i love the outlook and office integration it has for work. I am a bit sad that it wont get windows phone 8, but the phone works great for me now so its not a big deal, plus when i got mine it was like 50 bucks and I had some ms store gift cards so I got it for free lol.

Really?? Office integration was a selling point for your PHONE?

How often will you honestly use that on such a small screen?

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Really?? Office integration was a selling point for your PHONE?

How often will you honestly use that on such a small screen?

It allows me to pull up documents to read on the go when i am away from my work laptop. there no converting or anything for office files, just pulls them up, I can make small changes but its more for the ability to look over other work and approve or send back stuff to be fixed. The integration of the office suit and email on the phone has been really nice for work stuff.

I am not saying i would type out a 100 page document on it, but it is an added bonus.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It is pretty useful to make quick changes to a document on the go. I wish the iWork suite is preinstalled on iOS devices.

And how often in the course of a typical month for you would you need to do that? Not counting times when you have access to your laptop or desktop.

----------

It allows me to pull up documents to read on the go when i am away from my work laptop. there no converting or anything for office files, just pulls them up, I can make small changes but its more for the ability to look over other work and approve or send back stuff to be fixed. The integration of the office suit and email on the phone has been really nice for work stuff.

I am not saying i would type out a 100 page document on it, but it is an added bonus.

I understand what it allows, my question is just how practical is it on such a small screen? And how often in a month would you use it?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I played around with the Lumia 800 for a week and loved it. Then I routed my HTC HD2 to WP7.8 (Nokia flavor) and to me it looks pretty much the same. Other then you can now do 4 tiles in a row I didn't notice much difference.

Quite amazing how fluid WP7.8 runs on that very old hardware.

Best IMHO is Nokia Drive. My rootset came with 2.0 - not that good - which I upgraded to 3.0 - way better! (Still I can only navigate to an address and can not go to points on a map).

Even though WP8 comes out, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 900 if the price is right.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Do you have Siri or Turn by Turn? Apple folks love claiming they get all these updates but theyre no better than the 7.8 update that the WP7 phones will be getting.

I'm not an iOS user but missing a few features in the latest release of an OS (both of which can be replaced by third party apps), is not the same thing.

iPhone 4 has already been through 2 major iOS updates and will likely get at least one more if the 3GS is anything to go by. Even considering this, I wouldn't buy an iPhone 4 at this stage in it's lifecycle either.

The 900 was essentially obsolete on the software front at the time of release thanks to the stupidly timed MS announcement. The folks at Nokia would have every right be be extremely mad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.