PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7 experience really poor compared to mini

Scott6666
Nov 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
Don't be fooled by the people telling you the Nexus 7 is as good and save the money. The Apple experience is still SO much better than the Nexus. Feel good about your mini.

I have a Nexus 7 that I use to develop work applications - since we are too cheap to buy iPhones for our workers, so they get Androids (unless you're an executive, then you get an iPhone).

Have mini on order but I'm thinking why am I spending so much money on the mini when I can just use this $250 Nexus like my iPad? So I tried.

On paper it's got all the right specs. The major apps are all there. Why not?

Just like Apple used to say, the i<stuff> "just works". 70% of the Nexus is a struggle:

* Mail is fine. No issues there. Except that you get a gMail app and a mail app. Spent a while trying to add my imap mail to the google mail app before I realized there was an other app for email. Got that now.

* Web browser (chrome) is OK. But text is not much better than the mini (a little). Still need to expand it to read. What's really missing is the READER feature of Safari. Works brilliantly to give you nice readable web page on the mini.

* Tried to watch a movie off my DLNA server. First go off to the Play store. Download and install the highest rated app or two. Klunky interface but finds my server. Try to play. No video player embedded in the DLNA app. Huh? Need to use a separate add on video player. Download one. Works crappy. Plays one type but not the other. Download another one. Plays both but has all kind of weird screens before and after playing. Oh yeah, neither seems to remember where I stopped off if I stop a movie mid way. No 30 second forward or skip buttons. Download a few more video players. Ugh. Finally have one that sees to work.

Whoops, accidentally got into screen shot mode on this player. Takes a picture. Pops up again. Hit cancel, takes another picture. Stuck in loop. Reboot. Now have about 10 screenshots in some folder somewhere. Have to go download a file app to find the pictures and delete them.

Now I'm using the tablet in portrait. Every time I play a video it spins over to landscape mode. Have to turn tablet. Stop playing. Goes back to portrait, turn back. No way to stop it from turning sideways.

Figure, let's just use the ABC app and watch it there. Nothing in the play store from ABC networks. Lots of kid games and apps from local affiliates. Give up on that.

I could go on...

Now I know some of this is just finding the good apps. I also know that your common apps like Groupon, maps, Angry birds are going to be OK. But it's still the wild west out there on a Nexus.

****It's designed by engineers and that's exactly how it behaves.****

It's gotten better over the years. Android 4.x is usable. But it still is a hassle.

Back to the iPad with great relief. Blood pressure down. Extra $100, not feeling so bad about that...

Quantus
Nov 3, 2012, 12:11 PM
Nexus scales fonts much better. Makes a world of difference.

klover
Nov 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
Everyone's "experience" is relative, there is no universal measurement.

For instance, using my stock N7 I can run the utorrent app, download some TV shows, and watch them using the VLC app. That's not an experience possible with the mini.

Conversely, I prefer the pay-version Scrabble app on the mini vs. the ads-based version on the N7.

Each has its benefits to me.

nickftw8686
Nov 3, 2012, 12:19 PM
Nice post I agree with your statements op

Scott6666
Nov 3, 2012, 02:29 PM
Nexus scales fonts much better. Makes a world of difference.

When I priced out the mini at $700 or so with 64gb and Applecare I really wanted to like the Nexus I already had. But after 2 days, the Nexus just seems so primitive.

Just wanted people to feel better about justifying the Apple price premium.

We are paying for more than just pixels. (There are enough debates on screen density that we don't need another one).

gmanist1000
Nov 3, 2012, 02:31 PM
I had the Nexus 7 for a while, and I got rid of it. I love the mini though, probably because iOS is so polished.

Scott6666
Nov 3, 2012, 03:01 PM

For instance, using my stock N7 I can run the utorrent app, download some TV shows, and watch them using the VLC app. That's not an experience possible with the mini.

Conversely, I prefer the pay-version Scrabble app on the mini vs. the ads-based version on the N7.

Just tried this and utorrent thing worked well. Could not figure out what VLS app you mean. The first on the Play store requires some kind of connection to my mac or PC running VLC. Huh? The rest on the Play store looked similar. Anyway, one of the 7 video viewers I've already downloaded (first post) played the video.

I was not totally comfortable downloading a TV show without a peer blocker but it worked. A quick look on the App store shows no torrent downloaders. Guessing Apple considers that an illegal use kind of thing. If not someone needs to port utorrent to iOS. Anyone know if it's been blocked by Apple?

Point to Nexus - and their wild west Play store.

PS I hate having the Nexus headphone jack on the bottom. Trying to rest it on my lap doesn't work with the cord sticking out. I've had to adapt the Nexus to play upside down (with yet another utility app).

But the fonts on the utorrent app looked fantastic!

silentbob007
Nov 3, 2012, 03:06 PM
I added gmail to the standard email app ... No issues at all and now everything in the same place.

klover
Nov 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
Just tried this and utorrent thing worked well. Could not figure out what VLS app you mean. The first on the Play store requires some kind of connection to my mac or PC running VLC. Huh? The rest on the Play store looked similar. Anyway, one of the 7 video viewers I've already downloaded (first post) played the video.

I was not totally comfortable downloading a TV show without a peer blocker but it worked. A quick look on the App store shows no torrent downloaders. Guessing Apple considers that an illegal use kind of thing. If not someone needs to port utorrent to iOS. Anyone know if it's been blocked by Apple?

Point to Nexus - and their wild west Play store.

PS I hate having the Nexus headphone jack on the bottom. Trying to rest it on my lap doesn't work with the cord sticking out. I've had to adapt the Nexus to play upside down (with yet another utility app).

But the fonts on the utorrent app looked fantastic!

VLC, not VLS. Search for VLC and it's the first item. A mobile version of the PC/MAC VLC media player.

It once existed in iOS as well but no longer.

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 03:27 PM
Just like Apple used to say, the i<stuff> "just works". 70% of the Nexus is a struggle:
70%? It seems like it's all fine except you can't find a good DLNA app. DLNA app usage is 70% of why you own a tablet? Fine, but that's not typical.
* Web browser (chrome) is OK. But text is not much better than the mini (a little). Still need to expand it to read. What's really missing is the READER feature of Safari. Works brilliantly to give you nice readable web page on the mini.
Totally agree about Reader. It's fantastic - when it works, that is. I still find it to be hit-or-miss, but I love it when it decides to show itself.

* Tried to watch a movie off my DLNA server. First go off to the Play store. Download and install the highest rated app or two. Klunky interface but finds my server. Try to play. No video player embedded in the DLNA app. Huh? Need to use a separate add on video player. Download one. Works crappy. Plays one type but not the other. Download another one. Plays both but has all kind of weird screens before and after playing. Oh yeah, neither seems to remember where I stopped off if I stop a movie mid way. No 30 second forward or skip buttons. Download a few more video players. Ugh. Finally have one that sees to work.So, you tried a few apps, presumably free ones, and found one that works? I am not seeing the problem here.
Whoops, accidentally got into screen shot mode on this player. Takes a picture. Pops up again. Hit cancel, takes another picture. Stuck in loop. Reboot. Now have about 10 screenshots in some folder somewhere. Have to go download a file app to find the pictures and delete them.Seems like perhaps you were accidentally hitting power and volume. Regardless, you didn't need to download a file app (although the fact you can download a file app is a huge plus for Android); you could just use the included Gallery app, which isn't exactly hidden.
Now I'm using the tablet in portrait. Every time I play a video it spins over to landscape mode. Have to turn tablet. Stop playing. Goes back to portrait, turn back. No way to stop it from turning sideways.
Other than update the OS - for free - to the latest version, which fixed this a while ago.
Figure, let's just use the ABC app and watch it there. Nothing in the play store from ABC networks. Lots of kid games and apps from local affiliates. Give up on that.
Granted, there is less access to network media.

I could go on...

Now I know some of this is just finding the good apps. I also know that your common apps like Groupon, maps, Angry birds are going to be OK. But it's still the wild west out there on a Nexus.
That's not a fair assessment. Google Play is as easy to use as the App Store. There is less there - but still half a million or so - but it's not hard to find things. Even better? You can get a refund within the first 15 minutes if you don't like an app. That in and of itself is a huge plus. Buy one for iOS and don't like it? Generally, you're screwed.
****It's designed by engineers and that's exactly how it behaves.****To me, this is a plus.

I will completely grant that there are more high-quality apps on iOS. I use them all the time. But the options for the Nexus 7 are not nearly as bad as you make them seem - it's getting almost to the point of parity now, and I expect the iOS advantage to go to near zero shortly, with lots of perks to Android.

This is why I own both types of devices. They compliment each other well.

urkel
Nov 3, 2012, 03:43 PM
I will completely grant that there are more high-quality apps on iOS. I use them all the time. But the options for the Nexus 7 are not nearly as bad as you make them seem - it's getting almost to the point of parity now, and I expect the iOS advantage to go to near zero shortly, with lots of perks to Android.

This is why I own both types of devices. They compliment each other well.
Exactly. This whole idea of being loyal to only one side is ridiculous. We're consumers and our primary goal is to serve a selfish need and often times that requires multiple brands. I am entrenched in Apples ecosystem. The guy next to me uses Windows and Android and my boss uses Windows and iOS. All of us get the job done despite not having the same tools.

So for the OP to claim "Don't be fooled by the people telling you the Nexus 7 is as good and save the money" is ridiculous because he is trying to create negativity towards a product simply because he doesnt understand how to make it work.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 03:46 PM
Sorry to crash the party but as an owner of 2 iPad's I own a Nexus 7 and think it's freaking great. No issues with it or Google Play. :D

Was thinking of buying a Mini this weekend to add to my collection but none were available.

powerbooks
During the waiting of the iPad mini, I bought a used Nexus 7 just to try it. Bearing in mind I already had a GNote, so I know what to expect from Android.

I like the map much much better than iOS 6, and really miss the street view! It does have a real GPS even though it does not have cellular. (Question again: why can't Apple give us a real GPS in WiFi only iPad?? Doesn't make any sense!)

Widgets are kind of cool, but also confusing and overwhelming if you don't know what to do with them.

Other than that, I don't feel anything better than iPad. The screen is not that great even at higher resolution. The whole OS still feels not as smooth as iOS. Browser? I really hate 16:10, no matter potrait or wide screen! (Can't imagine 16:9 in other android pad!)

Got iPad mini yesterday. Everything seems better, except font rendering in web sites, and just a little bit too wide for single hand. But the Nexus 7 is back on sale now. Hope someone will grab it soon! :)

Awakener
Plus, a lot of security and privacy issues surround Android and Google, this being just one of the latest:

"Google's data-collecting habits drawing more scrutiny"

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...-more-scrutiny

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
We're consumers and our primary goal is to serve a selfish need and often times that requires multiple brands.
Well said.

It's impossible to say which product is better unless you know the end user's needs, and even then it can be difficult.

----------

Plus, a lot of security and privacy issues surround Android and Google, this being just one of the latest:

Apple, of course, has never come under file for such things.

Mr.damien
Nov 3, 2012, 03:56 PM

Yeah, iPad mini doesn't let you illegal stuff.

That's why Android guy are so cheap, not that they pirate Apps, but they also do the same with books / video / etc ...

Seeing a lot of people around me switching to Android because jailbreak is not available on new Apple hardware so they can't pirate anything anymore.

I can't wait to see all of them moving to Android so all crap free stuff and freemium will go away with them on Android.

----------

Apple, of course, has never come under file for such things.
Clearly not. That's funny to see people like you trying to put Google and Apple in the same basket and ignoring the fact that the Google business model is RAPING your privacy.

When something is free, YOU are the product.

What's even funnier is people saying "if you have nothing to hide, then it's ok" or other ****** arguments. And sawing them shooting on forums when a law is coming to monitor network connection against piracy.
Then they forget their nice advices...

ixodes
Nov 3, 2012, 03:59 PM

Let's not leave out Apple...

http://www.businessinsider.com/ifa-apples-iphone-tracking-in-ios-6-2012-10

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 04:01 PM
That's why Android guy are so cheap, not that they pirate Apps, but they also do the same with books / video / etc

I have never bought an app for any of my iPad's. I get so many free stuff from the devs via appshopper. :)

ixodes
Nov 3, 2012, 04:03 PM
Don't be fooled by the people telling you the Nexus 7 is as good and save the money. The Apple experience is still SO much better than the Nexus. Feel good about your mini.

I have a Nexus 7 that I use to develop work applications - since we are too cheap to buy iPhones for our workers, so they get Androids (unless you're an executive, then you get an iPhone).

Have mini on order but I'm thinking why am I spending so much money on the mini when I can just use this $250 Nexus like my iPad? So I tried.

* Mail is fine. No issues there. Except that you get a gMail app and a mail app. Spent a while trying to add my imap mail to the google mail app before I realized there was an other app for email. Got that now.

* Tried to watch a movie off my DLNA server. First go off to the Play store. Download and install the highest rated app or two. Klunky interface but finds my server. Try to play. No video player embedded in the DLNA app. Huh? Need to use a separate add on video player. Download one. Works crappy. Plays one type but not the other. Download another one. Plays both but has all kind of weird screens before and after playing. Oh yeah, neither seems to remember where I stopped off if I stop a movie mid way. No 30 second forward or skip buttons. Download a few more video players. Ugh. Finally have one that sees to work.

Whoops, accidentally got into screen shot mode on this player. Takes a picture. Pops up again. Hit cancel, takes another picture. Stuck in loop. Reboot. Now have about 10 screenshots in some folder somewhere. Have to go download a file app to find the pictures and delete them.

I could go on...

It's gotten better over the years. Android 4.x is usable. But it still is a hassle.

Back to the iPad with great relief. Blood pressure down. Extra $100, not feeling so bad about that...

Is there a point here?

Mr.damien
Nov 3, 2012, 04:14 PM
I have never bought an app for any of my iPad's. I get so many free stuff from the devs via appshopper. :)

Go for an Android tablet ! :D

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
Go for an Android tablet ! :D

I just did lol. :)

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 04:22 PM
Clearly not. That's funny to see people like you trying to put Google and Apple in the same basket and ignoring the fact that the Google business model is RAPING your privacy.
So, when Apple kept track of everywhere your iDevice had been since it was first turned on, that wasn't a privacy issue? When they make user-based ads require an opt-out on phones (in a way most users will never find and will, in fact, likely interpret in the way opposite to the way it actually works), that's not a privacy issue?

How is Google raping my privacy any more than that? I don't actually care if I get better, more targeted ads, so I don't see the problem. If you're that worried, just avoid Gmail, and Google won't know any more about you than Apple does... which is not to say Apple doesn't mine iCloud docs and email as well.

----------

When something is free, YOU are the product.
I've always seen that as "When you are the product, things are cheaper or free."

I don't see it as a negative.

MrXiro
Nov 3, 2012, 04:28 PM
Is there a point here?

Yes. He likes his iPad.

ixodes
Nov 3, 2012, 04:31 PM
Yes. He likes his iPad.
Funny way to express it :)

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 04:33 PM
Funny way to express it :)
The way I see it, given how awesome the Nexus 7 is (no sarcasm - I love mine), the iPad Mini must be truly phenomenal in order for the Nexus 7 experience to be really poor when compared to it. ;-)

MrXiro
Nov 3, 2012, 04:45 PM
The way I see it, given how awesome the Nexus 7 is (no sarcasm - I love mine), the iPad Mini must be truly phenomenal in order for the Nexus 7 experience to be really poor when compared to it. ;-)

I've used both and I prefer iPad for the apple ecosystem. Not the N7 extensively but as one debating getting one over the mini to save a few dollars I am way happier with the mini.

Fruit Cake
Nov 3, 2012, 04:52 PM
This is just the same old iOS vs android debate. Android let's you do more, if you invest time unit, it can be abetter experience. iOS boxes you into what apple thinks you will like and gives you little wiggle room.

Out of the box iOS is better hands down, the browser, mail app, camera etc etc are well polished and function well. And that's dandy for some. But others want to take it further. I happen to like icab mobile more then safari on ios, it allows me to use gestures heavily within browser, pull to refresh, save forms and a whole range of options I like. Yet I cannot set it as my default browser and apple won't allow it to have the same performance as safari. This pisses me off as I don't like safari. Android let's me pick whichever browser I want as default. Google don't care if I don't default to chrome.

Thr video player on iOS doesn't suit me, it's to boxed in to mp4 and iTunes, android isn't much better, but there's a whole bunch of media players which I can try and can set default to the one I like, iOS doesn't allow this.

This is the sort of thing I don't like about ios. Mail app is better then anything android has, so no contest there, but that's about it.

cdf3
Nov 3, 2012, 04:56 PM

I have both an iPad and a Nexus 7. I enjoy using both devices. I tend to use the Nexus 7 more because of its form factor, and it's ability to share documents and pictures to numerous services with ease.

70% of the Nexus is a struggle??? I'd say this is not true at all.

BadaBing!!
Nov 3, 2012, 04:57 PM
I had the Nexus 7 for a while, and I got rid of it. I love the mini though, probably because iOS is so polished.

Same here. Last time I used an android device, it was with Donut 1.6 so when the Nexus 7 came out, I decided to give it a try. Sold it few weeks ago. Got the iPad mini yesterday. IMO there is no competition, mostly because of apps.

glhiii
Nov 3, 2012, 04:58 PM
The moment I saw that the iPad Mini was lighter and had a bigger screen than the Nexus, I returned the Nexus (still had 1 day left to return it). Got a Mini on Friday and feel it's much more useful. And better for watching movies at night and for reading, because it's lighter. Of course, I own about 35 ios apps, and am happy I don't have to buy them again. Also feel that the apps on Android tend to be inferior to the same ones on ios, maybe because they have to run on a zillion different devices.

Dlanod
Nov 3, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry but the most important thing to me is the display. And the Mini sucks by comparison. Which is why my Mini is awaiting collection by Apple.

Awakener
Nov 3, 2012, 05:26 PM
Let's not leave out Apple...

http://www.businessinsider.com/ifa-apples-iphone-tracking-in-ios-6-2012-10

Agree that tracking is egregious, but even there you can turn it off with Apple. It really can't compare to the types of privacy issues described in the articles linked to. Do a simple search and compare the privacy and security issues.

gquiring
Nov 3, 2012, 05:36 PM
I own an iPad 2, iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 is a great tablet. First off you can choose your browser and make it the default. The Dolphin browser is great as is Chrome. You also get way more flexibility with the Nexus because Android is a much more open O/S. I installed the Nova launcher and it really opened my eyes to the flexibility and power of Android.

I love the way the back button works on Android. Open an email in iOS and click a link and Safari is your only option. Then to get back to the email app you have to double click the home button and find the mail app. With Android just hit the back button and you are back in your email app. This is really slick and that back button works on every app.

Next try some Live Wallpaper. WOW is that neat stuff. Add a notification tool bar app and you can easily disable WiFi, Blue Tooth or other options very quickly without navigating through the iOS setup menus.

On a negative, the dedicated Android apps don't touch the iPad. iPad has Android beat by a good margin.

The Nexus 7 is $199 vs iPad Mini $329 and the Nexus 7 screen res is 1280x800 vs iPad mini's 1024x768.

I like my Nexus 7 so much I am tempted to get a 10" Android tablet and replace my iPad's. The clincher for me is I can finally get away from iTunes, which is the worst experience in the world. Also the Google Play store is a lot faster than iOS 6's app store. I also love the way Google play works on your desktop when installing apps on the tablet.

Anybody considering a mini should really look at the Nexus. It's worth jumping ship.

onthecouchagain
Nov 3, 2012, 06:23 PM
You want to talk about frustrating? Trying to access settings of certain apps on my iPad can be an exercise in frustration.

Certain apps' settings are in the iOS Settings page, while others are in the app itself. It can get confusing and I sometimes find myself having to navigate back and forth because I forgot which app has settings where.

Example:

Gmail settings:

http://i.imgur.com/P52yS.png

Facebook settings:

http://i.imgur.com/diIAU.png

With Android, there's always a dedicated menu button for each App. And many of the settings can be toggled with one button. Try browsing Safari and switching to Private browsing. Count how many steps that takes. It takes two in Chrome (Menu... New Incognito Tab).

----------

Also, Swyping on a tablet is so much better than typing on it. Can't wait for 4.2's Gesture Typing.

Rodster
Nov 3, 2012, 06:28 PM
Next try some Live Wallpaper. WOW is that neat stuff. Add a notification tool bar app and you can easily disable WiFi, Blue Tooth or other options very quickly without navigating through the iOS setup menus.

If you want to try a gorgeous live wallpaper, check out Ocean HD and for widgets "widgets HD". The combination of both will offer serious eye candy. I bought both of them during Google's 25c sale.

Hint, there maybe another sale coming up as Google announced 700K app milestone. :)

Mr.damien
Nov 3, 2012, 06:37 PM
So, when Apple kept track of everywhere your iDevice had been since it was first turned on, that wasn't a privacy issue? When they make user-based ads require an opt-out on phones (in a way most users will never find and will, in fact, likely interpret in the way opposite to the way it actually works), that's not a privacy issue?

How is Google raping my privacy any more than that? I don't actually care if I get better, more targeted ads, so I don't see the problem. If you're that worried, just avoid Gmail, and Google won't know any more about you than Apple does... which is not to say Apple doesn't mine iCloud docs and email as well.

----------

I've always seen that as "When you are the product, things are cheaper or free."

I don't see it as a negative.
Yeah google is not doing anything more than not giving you the option to opt out. Not saying that the issue on Android was even worst because of Carrier because they chose a far more intrusive analyzer or that chrome is the only web navigator that doesn't have do not track option.

Know find me the Google black box, or the Apple's safari plugin that allow them to track all your life.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/02/google-paying-users-to-track-100-of-their-web-usage-via-little-black-box/

No need to answer, I know there is none ...

BTW is putting by yourself the tool to spy you is ok for a few cents, then good for you. I won't quote Benjamin Franklin again. Funny to see fandroid calling Apple fan iSheep when they are giving away their privacy like sheep.

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 06:46 PM
Funny to see fandroid calling Apple fan iSheep when they are giving away their privacy like sheep.
You clearly have no idea who I am. I'm an former moderator here (left because life just became too busy) who usually defends Apple products. I am close to being in the top 10 posters still after essentially not posting for four entire years. No, wait, you've been here since 2006, so surely you recognize me.

The fact that I disagree with you regarding the relative levels of evil in Google vs Apple doesn't mean I'm a mindless fan or foe of either.

As far as Google's invasions of privacy are concerned, I'm aware of them, and they do not bother me. For the most part, I accept that privacy is a thing of the past.

hyteckit
Nov 3, 2012, 06:48 PM
Don't have a nexus yet. I still might get it despite hating the 2 Android tablets I've own.

Galaxy Tab 7" running Froyo. Froyo felt like a phone OS running on a tablet form factor. Buggy and freezes, requiring rebooting.

Acer Iconia 7" tablet running Gingerbread. Was pretty stable until I upgrade to ICS. The ICS interface is much nicer than Froyo and felt more like a tablet OS. Too bad ICS is also buggy on my Acer Iconia. Keep getting "application is not responding". Many android apps and games don't run on it. WiFi dies after it goes to sleep.

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 06:51 PM
Don't have a nexus yet. I still might get it despite hating the 2 Android tablets I've own.

Galaxy Tab 7" running Froyo. Froyo felt like a phone OS running on a tablet form factor. Buggy and freezes, requiring rebooting.

Acer Iconia 7" tablet running Gingerbread. Was pretty stable until I upgrade to ICS. The ICS interface is much nicer than Froyo and felt more like a tablet OS. Too bad ICS is also buggy on my Acer Iconia. Keep getting "application is not responding". Many android apps and games don't run on it. WiFi dies after it goes to sleep.
I'd only played with Android a few times before getting the Nexus 7, and I'd hated it, but I'd heard good things about Jelly Bean, and they were right.

You might or might not like it, but JB4.1 (or 4.2, soon) on a Nexus 7 is entirely different than your prior experiences.

marc11
Nov 3, 2012, 07:06 PM
Let me see if i can sum the original post up.... I just purchased an ipad mini and have buyers remorse, but let me post this to create an Apple circle jerk where i can be the pivot man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with a great screen, wonderful flawless user experience as good as my wife's ipad3, all my apps found without issue on the Google Play store with $130in my pocket.

hyteckit
Nov 3, 2012, 07:14 PM
Let me see if i can sum the original post up.... I just purchased an ipad mini and have buyers remorse, but let me post this to create an Apple circle jerk where i can be the pivot man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with a great screen, wonderful flawless user experience as good as my wife's ipad3, all my apps found without issue on the Google Play store with $130in my pocket.

I have an iPad Mini. No buyer's remorse so far.

I deeply regretted buying the two Android 7" tablets though.

I found the apps and games on the Google play store. Too bad it's listed as 'incompatible' with my android tablet. More buyer's remorse.

jsw
Nov 3, 2012, 07:23 PM
Say what you will, but you and I both know that our 7's don't have mono-crystalline diamond-cut edges, and surely mono-crystalline diamond-cut edges are worth at least $130.

rhinosrcool
Nov 3, 2012, 07:41 PM
From someone who has both an iPad 2 (similar to mini) and a Nexus7, they are both excellent tablets.

Yes, android takes a bit of learning. Once you invest a little time in it, it opens up vast possibilities. Some of the claims, by the op, against the N7 are unfounded.

For one, screen rotation can be locked just as easy as on the iPad.

Definitely on the N7, the reading experience is better. The text is much crisper.
For me, on the N7, the default font is very readable; for others, it may not be. However, you can make it larger.

The mini's larger display is a bonus. But, with it's lower resolution, the advantages are lessened.

I'm not bashing the mini. In fact, I may sell my iPad 2 to get one. However, the N7 is a real good tablet and it's a solid competitor. At present, it is selling @ 1 million per month. With this, more developers will invest their time into more and better apps. The app gap will lessen.

Also, the sales indicate that price is a big factor. With it's low price, many ios fans are getting introduced to android. Their investment in the android ecosystem will grow.

From this competition, we, as consumers, will benefit. Apple's higher prices and higher margins may need to be lowered (well, I can hope). At least, Apple may include more, for the price.

Spungoflex
Nov 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
I've seen a few youtube reviews of the nexus 7, and I'm sorry but the operating system looks absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen something to convoluted and messy before. There are 8,000 things going on all at once, all over the screen.

Geez, I thought ICS was bad. Looks like android is only getting worse.

gquiring
Nov 4, 2012, 11:13 PM
I've seen a few youtube reviews of the nexus 7, and I'm sorry but the operating system looks absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen something to convoluted and messy before. There are 8,000 things going on all at once, all over the screen.

Geez, I thought ICS was bad. Looks like android is only getting worse.Try introducing someone to iTunes and iOS who have never seen or used them before. iTunes is another mess. Either way it's a learning curve no matter what you get.

raam89
Nov 4, 2012, 11:22 PM

As opposed to your precious little mini which is what ? designed by carpenters ?

fertilized-egg
Nov 4, 2012, 11:37 PM

With RIM Playbook I can have all my apps with additional $100-130 in my pocket over Nexus 7 as it runs Android apps :p But somehow I always notice those who denigrate iPad mini's high pricing themselves can't accept that Playbook might be a better option than Nexus 7 due to its lower price because they have to create a Nexus 7/Android "circle jerk".

My point is that everyone has a different threshold and needs when it comes to product vs. pricing. Someone will find $120-150 Playbook more than acceptable and can't understand why someone would buy a $210-$250 Nexus 7 when they are exactly the same form factor. Personally I find a 7" tablet too small for tablet apps and consider iPad mini's display as small as I'd accept for a tablet-specific apps.

roxxette
Nov 4, 2012, 11:54 PM
I think ios is making people to stop thinking, the brain is nothing without challenges....

What are these "develop work applications" ?

DodgeV83
Nov 5, 2012, 12:13 AM
Try introducing someone to iTunes and iOS who have never seen or used them before. iTunes is another mess. Either way it's a learning curve no matter what you get.

iTunes is no longer required. I actually don't know anyone with an iOS device who still uses iTunes to sync.

On the other hand, I have seen iOS devices handed to everyone from small children, to grandmothers, and they were all able to figure it out just fine :)

ixodes
Nov 5, 2012, 12:13 AM
I highly doubt the OP has even touched a Nexus 7. If he / she has, then the post is still an obvious, deliberate trashing of Google & the Nexus 7.

I own a Nexus 7 as well as the iPad mini. Each has it's Pro's & Cons.

The most noticeable difference is the lower ppi of the mini. Why Apple failed to make it the same or close to as good as the N7 reflects their desire to cut costs in order to enjoy a higher profit.

Yet for a whopping $140 more than a Nexus, Apples proving they have no problem robbing us. While it's nothing new, the blatant way Apple does their profit taking is a bit disgusting. Just because we will pay it doesn't make it any better.

With the intro of this fresh new Nexus lineup consisting of the Nexus 4 phone, the Nexus 7 & 10 tablets, Google Android has, for the very first time, worthy direct competitors to Apple iDevices. Now things get interesting.

AzN1337c0d3r
Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 AM
iTunes is no longer required. I actually don't know anyone with an iOS device who still uses iTunes to sync.

On the other hand, I have seen iOS devices handed to everyone from small children, to grandmothers, and they were all able to figure it out just fine :)

How do you get non-iTunes-Store music onto your iOS device then?

Takashi
Nov 5, 2012, 12:24 AM

I could go on...

It's always fun to read about people trying to compare current devices (N7) to something that is outdated 2 years ago (ipad mini). I am sure you haven't spend enough time with N7 or you just want to elevate your ego and patriotism towards the apple brand.

fertilized-egg
Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 AM
It's always fun to read about people trying to compare current devices (N7) to something that is outdated 2 years ago (ipad mini).

We had a tablet like iPad mini that was already outdated by November 2010? :confused:

rprr
Nov 5, 2012, 12:40 AM
My only experience was with a rather laggy Vizio tablet running Android. It would freeze often and apps would crash. At that time I would look enviously at my wife's iPad. I then went back to using my iPhone. I am sure that things have improved with the nexus and jellybean but that experience with the Vizio soured me on android. Ultimately, I decided that I would wait for apple to produce the iPad mini instead of going for the nexus.

tech4all
Nov 5, 2012, 12:54 AM

I could go on...

No, I think you already pulled enough stuff out of where the sun don't shine. ;)

I highly doubt the OP has even touched a Nexus 7. If he / she has, then the post is still an obvious, deliberate trashing of Google & the Nexus 7.

I own a Nexus 7 as well as the iPad mini. Each has it's Pro's & Cons.

The most noticeable difference is the lower ppi of the mini. Why Apple failed to make it the same or close to as good as the N7 reflects their desire to cut costs in order to enjoy a higher profit.

Yet for a whopping $140 more than a Nexus, Apples proving they have no problem robbing us. While it's nothing new, the blatant way Apple does their profit taking is a bit disgusting. Just because we will pay it doesn't make it any better.

With the intro of this fresh new Nexus lineup consisting of the Nexus 4 phone, the Nexus 7 & 10 tablets, Google Android has, for the very first time, worthy direct competitors to Apple iDevices. Now things get interesting.

I agree that the iPad mini really had it's a$$ handed to it with the new Nexus 7. It's superior to the iPad mini in virtually every way and still cost less.

The only thing iFanBoys claim is the App Store which is becoming moot now. Both stores have nearly the same amount of apps last I checked. The whole better looking/working apps...I don't use iOS so I can't make a comment on it. All I know is if that is why you buy iDevices for, then you are paying a HUGE premium for that considering the iPad mini is a technically inferior product to the Nexus 7. No retina screen for the mini? I thought that was the thing to have nowadays and justified the higher prices? Well no retina display on the mini yet you still got a higher price. All you got left is the app quality argument. Once Google apps catch up, there's not going to be much more to justify the price with. iOS vs. Android is subjective, but no way iOS should have a premium.

Neither product is perfect. But only a fanboy will think it is.

racoonboy
Nov 5, 2012, 12:57 AM
Even the least ram consuming games will run less smooth on Android devices with better spec. Ipod touch 4 with 256mb ram can play games better than Nexus 7 or Samsung whatsoever.

But thats just for games. I think if you want ipad mini just for games (because it is easier to hold in one hand compared to the IPad) then its a better choice. But overall at 329 for poor screen 16G. Usefully department should be with Nexus 7.

DVK916
Nov 5, 2012, 01:13 AM
It's always fun to read about people trying to compare current devices (N7) to something that is outdated 2 years ago (ipad mini). I am sure you haven't spend enough time with N7 or you just want to elevate your ego and patriotism towards the apple brand.

The N7 is just as outdated, it processor is just as old, and even slower.

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 01:32 AM
With RIM Playbook I can have all my apps with additional $100-130 in my pocket over Nexus 7 as it runs Android apps :p But somehow I always notice those who denigrate iPad mini's high pricing themselves can't accept that Playbook might be a better option than Nexus 7 due to its lower price because they have to create a Nexus 7/Android "circle jerk".

My point is that everyone has a different threshold and needs when it comes to product vs. pricing. Someone will find $120-150 Playbook more than acceptable and can't understand why someone would buy a $210-$250 Nexus 7 when they are exactly the same form factor. Personally I find a 7" tablet too small for tablet apps and consider iPad mini's display as small as I'd accept for a tablet-specific apps.

I agree with you 100% and thus why I used the circle jerk metaphor as I could not understand why the OP had to crap all over one device to make his chosen device look better....hey, if you like the playbook, great, if you like the mini great. If you want to come here and praise the mini great, you should be proud of what you bought.

But to justify it by crapping all over another device...with mostly false statements (not the ipad positive ones, the Nexus negative ones) for the sole purpose to gather up people to join your party, yep that is a self serving circle jerk.

I think the mini is a great device with a lot of potenial; but I see no need to needlessly put down other devices for no other reason but to create some sort fo self value.

rprr
Nov 5, 2012, 01:34 AM
I agree with you 100% and thus why I used the circle jerk metaphor as I could not understand why the OP had to crap all over one device to make his chosen device look better....hey, if you like the playbook, great, if you like the mini great. If you want to come here and praise the mini great, you should be proud of what you bought.

But to justify it by crapping all over another device...with mostly false statements (not the ipad positive ones, the Nexus negative ones) for the sole purpose to gather up people to join your party, yep that is a self serving circle jerk.

I think the mini is a great device with a lot of potenial; but I see no need to needlessly put down other devices for no other reason but to create some sort fo self value.
Well said.

AdonisSMU
Nov 5, 2012, 01:41 AM

This is an apple forum. What did you expect?

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 01:46 AM
This is an apple forum. What did you expect?

Right, that is why I said, waxing poetic over an Apple device, great, I would never complain, I do it too. I just do not understand the need to create a thread that tells people false comparisons for no other reason.

Like I said, this thread knocking the other device with a bunch of false statements didn't add any value other than "pat me on the back" value.

AdonisSMU
Nov 5, 2012, 02:06 AM
Right, that is why I said, waxing poetic over an Apple device, great, I would never complain, I do it too. I just do not understand the need to create a thread that tells people false comparisons for no other reason.

Like I said, this thread knocking the other device with a bunch of false statements didn't add any value other than "pat me on the back" value.

I have a nexus 7 and i agree with most of what the op said. Ohh yeah and my reason for getting it was apple didnt have a 7" iPad and Im currently working on an app for it. Thats all. Yes like the op, i too am a developer. I thought I would come here and express how much I liked my iPad mini only to run into a bunch of losers who are trying to dictate to me what I should like.

Spungoflex
Nov 5, 2012, 05:01 AM
Try introducing someone to iTunes and iOS who have never seen or used them before. iTunes is another mess. Either way it's a learning curve no matter what you get.

The knock on iOS has always been that it's too simple. Its extremely easy and intuitive. The version of android running on the nexus 7 (jellyfish? peanut butter sandwich? cake with sprinkles?) is a disaster.

For example, the library screen is ugly as sin. A giant random album cover, a tiny book cover, and 14 other things all crammed onto the same screen? Yikes. The thing looks like a total chore to use.

ItsWelshy
Nov 5, 2012, 05:22 AM
No, I think you already pulled enough stuff out of where the sun don't shine. ;)

I agree that the iPad mini really had it's a$$ handed to it with the new Nexus 7. It's superior to the iPad mini in virtually every way and still cost less.

The only thing iFanBoys claim is the App Store which is becoming moot now. Both stores have nearly the same amount of apps last I checked. The whole better looking/working apps...I don't use iOS so I can't make a comment on it. All I know is if that is why you buy iDevices for, then you are paying a HUGE premium for that considering the iPad mini is a technically inferior product to the Nexus 7. No retina screen for the mini? I thought that was the thing to have nowadays and justified the higher prices? Well no retina display on the mini yet you still got a higher price. All you got left is the app quality argument. Once Google apps catch up, there's not going to be much more to justify the price with. iOS vs. Android is subjective, but no way iOS should have a premium.

Neither product is perfect. But only a fanboy will think it is.

Looks like we have another "I can't afford an iPad" Android user.

How are the blown-up phone apps looking on your cheap Nexus? pixelated? Heh heh

children
Nov 5, 2012, 05:34 AM
i personally dislike android in any form.. so messy, organised and inconsistent user interface. Windows RT/Phone/8 is the only UI that can come close (Think Open Vs Closed)

Thats just me, some enjoy the freedom and flexibly of android. To each his own I guess.

hyteckit
Nov 5, 2012, 05:39 AM

What android devices from 2010 beat the iPad mini?

----------

i personally dislike android in any form.. so messy, organised and inconsistent user interface. Windows RT/Phone/8 is the only UI that can come close (Think Open Vs Closed)

Thats just me, some enjoy the freedom and flexibly of android. To each his own I guess.

Fragmentation.

Worst is when many android apps don't run on my android tablet.

torana355
Nov 5, 2012, 05:43 AM
It sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, I was able to figure all those tasks out without an issue. It was very easy to find out the best video player, file manager and emails apps. You get out what you put in with Android, if you put the effort in the experience is far superior to that on ios due to the flexibility and customization.

For example my N7 can see my entire video library on my iMac using SMB sharing which i can navigate with a proper native file browser and stream right to my N7 over wifi. Doing this on an iPhone is much harder. Even the simple things like being able to plug my N7 into my mac and just copy files across without having to sync with itunes, i can even transfer my files over wifi all from the file manager on my N7. I didn't like the Chrome mobile browser so i downloaded Xscope (a really great web browser for android) and i was able to set it as my default browser. Try that on ios...

StoneJack
Nov 5, 2012, 05:46 AM
It sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, I was able to figure all those tasks out without and issue. It was very easy to find out the best video player, file manager and emails apps. You get out what you put in with Android, if you put the effort in the experience is far superior to that on ios.

Maybe some people don't want to put efforts to look for best video players, file managers, email apps and antivirus programs and just want to use the tablet?

torana355
Nov 5, 2012, 06:09 AM
Maybe some people don't want to put efforts to look for best video players, file managers, email apps and antivirus programs and just want to use the tablet?

That is the whole point, with ios you get a great experience out of the box, But you are locked into what Apple decides you should use. If you like the stock Apple apps and setup then ios is for you. Android is a decent experience out of the box (especially with Jellybean) but if you configure it perfectly to YOUR tastes it blows ios clean out of the water as its fully customized to YOUR needs.

hyteckit
Nov 5, 2012, 06:17 AM
That is the whole point, with ios you get a great experience out of the box, But you are locked into what Apple decides you should use. If you like the stock Apple apps and setup then ios is for you. Android is a decent experience out of the box (especially with Jellybean) but if you configure it perfectly to YOUR tastes it blows ios clean out of the water as its fully customized to YOUR needs.

I can spend days or weeks customizing android.

However, it still won't fit MY needs when apps I need existed on Android, but show up as "incompatible" and doesn't integrate with the Apple eco-system as well as iOS.

I am using both Amazon store and Google play store. Each fighting to overwrite my apps claiming they are the latest version.

Compile 'em all
Nov 5, 2012, 06:26 AM
To me, this is a plus.

A device designed by Engineers is a plus? What world do you live in?

Some posters here make some of the most bizarre statements I have ever read.

cdmoore74
Nov 5, 2012, 06:34 AM
I'm getting a Samsung Note 2 instead which beats the Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad mini and iPhone all at the same time. Don't laugh but phablets will start to take over. Why carry a iPhone and iPad at the same time when a Note 2 has a big display and fits in my pocket?

hyteckit
Nov 5, 2012, 06:44 AM
I'm getting a Samsung Note 2 instead which beats the Nexus 7, Nexus 4, iPad mini and iPhone all at the same time. Don't laugh but phablets will start to take over. Why carry a iPhone and iPad at the same time when a Note 2 has a big display and fits in my pocket?

I'm interested in the note 2 too. Kinda pricey for an android device.

Less interested now that I have an iPad mini.

Shivetya
Nov 5, 2012, 06:49 AM
Looking at the N7 for children's gifts.

At 200 a pop its a great deal and I won't sweat it too much in the hands of seven and nine year old brats who can prove to be equally destructive as careful; just depends on the day of the week I suppose

kas23
Nov 5, 2012, 06:51 AM
I'm really going to base my purchase (or non-purchase in this case) of an Android device on someone else's opinion on a website devoted to Apple products. Sounds like a great idea.

Rodster
Nov 5, 2012, 06:57 AM
I own both iPad's and a Nexus 7 and the N7 is a sweet device. Jelly Bean is what Android was supposed to be. I think the Mini is a solid product if you like iOS. I personally would wait for the next refresh to see if retina and A6X is added.

But the N7 is a fantastic buy and a very capable performing tablet. It's rave reviews are well deserved.

jsw
Nov 5, 2012, 07:52 AM
A device designed by Engineers is a plus? What world do you live in?

Some posters here make some of the most bizarre statements I have ever read.
I live in a world of engineers, and I find devices designed by engineers to be more logical.

If stating a preference for things designed by engineers is one of the most bizarre statements you've ever read, I can only assume your reading material is a bit limited.

Geekbabe
Nov 5, 2012, 08:40 AM
I've played with a few Nexus 7 devices, my biggest concern is the build quality.

Buckeyestar
Nov 5, 2012, 09:12 AM

The ability to steal content? :rolleyes:

DodgeV83
Nov 5, 2012, 09:21 AM
It sounds like you have no idea what you are doing, I was able to figure all those tasks out without an issue. It was very easy to find out the best video player, file manager and emails apps. You get out what you put in with Android, if you put the effort in the experience is far superior to that on ios due to the flexibility and customization.

For example my N7 can see my entire video library on my iMac using SMB sharing which i can navigate with a proper native file browser and stream right to my N7 over wifi. Doing this on an iPhone is much harder. Even the simple things like being able to plug my N7 into my mac and just copy files across without having to sync with itunes, i can even transfer my files over wifi all from the file manager on my N7. I didn't like the Chrome mobile browser so i downloaded Xscope (a really great web browser for android) and i was able to set it as my default browser. Try that on ios...

What makes those tasks much harder on iOS? I do all of that (besides setting another browser as default) with File Explorer and GoodPlayer. Have you tried either of these apps?

DodgeV83
Nov 5, 2012, 09:32 AM
How do you get non-iTunes-Store music onto your iOS device then?

First I used GoodPlayer, then once I realized I have much more music than can fit on my phone, I switched to iSub Music Streamer.

Once iTunes Match was released, however, I switched over to that. It doesn't require my phone to sync to iTunes, I just used iTunes one time to upload 100% of my music to the cloud. If you count that as "iTunes syncing", then you win :)

tsd71
Nov 5, 2012, 09:39 AM
I had a Nexus for 2 days, sent it back and bought a 32gb mini. Best thing I ever did. The WiFi on the Nexus was unbelievably bad, the mini is a great little machine. Also the screen is fine, too many nitpickers here. Everyone knew before they went on sale that the mini was not being shipped with the retina screen, if all you cry babies knew that then..... why did you buy it? :confused:

lique831
Nov 5, 2012, 09:53 AM
I own both iPad's and a Nexus 7 and the N7 is a sweet device. Jelly Bean is what Android was supposed to be. I think the Mini is a solid product if you like iOS. I personally would wait for the next refresh to see if retina and A6X is added.

But the N7 is a fantastic buy and a very capable performing tablet. It's rave reviews are well deserved.

The Nexus 7 is a very good device (just sold mine this weekend) and probably the best Android tablet on the market. I personally prefer the iPad mini because I prefer the iOS environment. But I disagree with the OP in that the Nexus 7 experience is really poor compared to the mini.

Rodster
Nov 5, 2012, 10:12 AM
The Nexus 7 is a very good device (just sold mine this weekend) and probably the best Android tablet on the market. I personally prefer the iPad mini because I prefer the iOS environment. But I disagree with the OP in that the Nexus 7 experience is really poor compared to the mini.

Totally agree with the above. I plan on buying a Mini, just waiting for the next refresh hopefully with a better screen and processor. :)

Krevnik
Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 AM

The complaint about opt-out is a fair one, but I don't think the first point is entirely accurate.

The behavior of iOS to cache cell towers and wifi spots gathered from a single ping against Apple's servers is actually a sane one. It means Apple has less access to the result of any one location lookup as your device would just reuse the cache for later lookups. However, this cache was unencrypted on the device, which meant it was vulnerable to an attacker who got access to an unencrypted backup, or the device itself.

The fact that the cache used to be big was actually a good thing for privacy in the end. However, with the backlash it caused, now devices are pinging Apple more often for updates unless you stick to a small area (because the cache has been shrunk in size), meaning Apple now has access to more location information than it did before.

Of course, the big unknown here is how much logging is going on when the servers are pinged when it comes to Apple, Microsoft, and Google. Of course, they probably all are to varying degrees. Google has ads to sell in order to survive, and all 3 are likely capturing telemetry on the service itself to make sure they catch issues.

While it's fair to point out the privacy issues that are cropping up everywhere, we should also be realistic. The main reason I see it that way is that if we want privacy to be considered a right in this new technical era, we have to codify it into the social contract (i.e. law). But if we are unrealistic about the issues (which I am concerned is happening already), then we will likely write terrible laws to protect privacy.

That said, your other posts commenting that privacy may be a thing of the past is a very real possibility too. There are just too many ways to piece together the scraps already into a picture of who someone is, even without us handing that information over.

jsw
Nov 5, 2012, 11:30 AM
...[good points]...
I agree with what you've said, and I didn't mean to imply (if I did) that Apple was bad (and/or worse than Google), just that everyone collects and tries to make money (directly or indirectly) from data provided by customers. To me, it's the price paid for the convenience of the Internet and mobile communication.

I agree that we should codify use of previously private data, but I think that it is obvious that privacy is dying. I don't think that's a good thing in and of itself, but I think it's inevitable. Twenty five years ago, if someone wasn't in front of you or by their phone, you had no idea where they were. Most people used cash for most transactions. There was no such thing as a browser history. Now? For $50 or so, you can find out things about someone across the country (or world) that their own families don't know. Whether or not we make such things illegal, the information will always be there for someone to gather.

calilove
Nov 5, 2012, 12:02 PM
During the waiting of the iPad mini, I bought a used Nexus 7 just to try it. Bearing in mind I already had a GNote, so I know what to expect from Android.

I like the map much much better than iOS 6, and really miss the street view! It does have a real GPS even though it does not have cellular. (Question again: why can't Apple give us a real GPS in WiFi only iPad?? Doesn't make any sense!)

Widgets are kind of cool, but also confusing and overwhelming if you don't know what to do with them.

Other than that, I don't feel anything better than iPad. The screen is not that great even at higher resolution. The whole OS still feels not as smooth as iOS. Browser? I really hate 16:10, no matter potrait or wide screen! (Can't imagine 16:9 in other android pad!)

Got iPad mini yesterday. Everything seems better, except font rendering in web sites, and just a little bit too wide for single hand. But the Nexus 7 is back on sale now. Hope someone will grab it soon! :)

I think widgets are self explanitory, maybe android isnt for people who are confused by widgets?

klover
Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 PM
For me, the N7 was the first real alternative to an iPad. I've have every iPad (1,2,3,mini) and balked at any Android alternative until I purchased the N7 this summer. And, if your app preferences allow it (95% of the Apple apps I use have Android versions), it can be quite fun.

The design is plastic, yes, but it is considerably more comfortable to hold than the mini (again, personal opinion). The soft back has a nice feel and grip.

The screen is narrow in portrait but contrast, black level, and colors are very nice for the investment.

What I like most are the geeky Android apps that I always wanted on my iPad: emulators that don't require rooting/jailbreaking, torrent apps, and widgets. Having my email live-update on the tablet "desktop" is a feature I'd love on my iPads.

The best option for me is just owning an N7 and iPad - they are the best of both worlds.

Dlanod
Nov 5, 2012, 12:13 PM
For me, the N7 was the first real alternative to an iPad. I've have every iPad (1,2,3,mini) and balked at any Android alternative until I purchased the N7 this summer.

The design is plastic, yes, but it is considerably more comfortable to hold than the mini (again, personal opinion). The soft back has a nice feel and grip.

The screen is narrow in portrait but contrast, black level, and colors are very nice for the investment.

What I like most are the geeky Android apps that I always wanted on my iPad: emulators that don't require rooting/jailbreaking, torrent apps, and widgets. Having my email live-update on the tablet "desktop" is a feature I'd love on my iPads.

The best option for me is just owning an N7 and iPad - they are the best of both worlds.

Totally agree. I have a Nexus 7 for portability. I think it's better than the Mini (which I am sending back) and a new 4th gen iPad for home. Given the Nexus 7 is 110 cheaper than the equivalent Mini and the screen is better its a bit of a no brainer for me.

klover
Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 PM
Totally agree. I have a Nexus 7 for portability. I think it's better than the Mini (which I am sending back) and a new 4th gen iPad for home. Given the Nexus 7 is 110 cheaper than the equivalent Mini and the screen is better its a bit of a no brainer for me.

That's the same setup I'm contemplating (i.e., returning mini, grabbing the 4, and keeping N7). Can't think it gets better than that.

Aegelward
Nov 5, 2012, 01:02 PM
Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini facts

Over 3 million and counting Minis have been sold in under a week. how many Nexus 7s has google sold? not even a million.

Estimated returns of the ipad mini in it's lifetime (5 years) - 3-5%
Estimated returns of the Google Nexus 7 in it's lifetime (5 years) - 75%

Amount of applications optimised for a tablet interface on android? less than 10%

User experience ratings of the N7? under 50% Of the iPad mini? 98%!

Suck it up google. Apple IS the market. Just scrap your failed nexus program and we will all be happier without having to gawp at a sub-standard product.

palpatine
Nov 5, 2012, 01:06 PM

Over 3 million and counting Minis have been sold in under a week. how many Nexus 7s has google sold? not even a million.

Amount of applications optimised for a tablet interface on android? less than 10%

Suck it up google. Apple IS the market. Just scrap your failed nexus program and we will all be happier without having to gawp at a sub-standard product.
Did Google post somewhere in these forums? I am not sure who you are addressing in your posts.

I love facts. Especially when they are wrong.
http://tellmenews.com/asus-announces-1-million-units-of-google-nexus-7-sold-per-month/174651/sharon-wagner

I happen to like both Android and iOS. They have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm pretty pleased with the N7, so I'm glad it's around. It's nice to have choice as a consumer.

kenypowa
Nov 5, 2012, 01:08 PM

Don't you just love people who pull out these numbers out of their ass? Other than the first number quoted is correct, all the other numbers are pure fantasy.

Scott6666
Nov 5, 2012, 01:09 PM
Wow, interesting to hear just how castigated one can get by posting up some unbiased experiences with a piece of metal and plastic.

No, I think you already pulled enough stuff out of where the sun don't shine.

Y'all pretty defensive about your little tablet there.

Yeah, I figured it all out but it was just a hassle to do so. And I don't know that I need to post my resume but I'm pretty confident I'll hold up well to any of you clowns.

This is a lot like why I own macs rather than windows boxes. You can do anything on a windows box - from a purely functional basis - that you can do on a mac. Word process, look at pictures, email, websurf, etc. There is a major, but in some ways very subtle, "it just works" factor that comes with Apple. This is true in spades for Nexus vs iPad.

Go ahead and use your little Nexus 7. It is functional. I used it just last night to finish off that video that he first responder had me try off of utorrent.

[By the way after the video playback the entire screen remained 70% washed out for 20 minutes as the Nvidia chip had a messed up gamma setting that took a while to settle back out. Yes, this is repeatable; google Nexus 7 washed out screen and watch people puzzle over this one.]

I'ts just not as easy.

Y'all are crazy. I own a Nexus 7 (corporate). I can use it for FREE FOREVER. I make programs for it (HTML5 apps and native android apps) so it's not that I can't figure it out. What reason do I have to go out and spend $700 on an iPad mini if that Nexus 7 works so well?

If you don't have the bucks, and you're somewhat technical, go ahead and get a Nexus. If you like a Kia because that Porsche is just too annoying, go ahead.

Many people think that $180 extra for an mini is too much (comparing 32GB wifi models) but if you can afford the difference the mini is much easier to work with.

I don't really care what any of you choose to buy. Not my business. But it's absolutely true that:
(i) the Nexus is somewhat cheaper, and
(ii) the iPad mini is far less frustrating.

Now, if it only had that damned retina screen...

roxxette
Nov 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
Just works my butt lol copy & pasteon windows nuff said ;) and yeap i use macs too.

chakraj
Nov 5, 2012, 01:48 PM
I live in a world of engineers, and I find devices designed by engineers to be more logical.

If stating a preference for things designed by engineers is one of the most bizarre statements you've ever read, I can only assume your reading material is a bit limited.

I personally prefer products designed by clowns instead of engineers. I find the color choices they use much better than any "safety" or other concerns. Im talking bridges and cars and planes here. Computers eh, not so important that clown design them. :rolleyes:

Fruit Cake
Nov 5, 2012, 02:47 PM
The ability to steal content? :rolleyes:

Plenty easy to steal content on iOS as well. BitTorrent isn't the only game in town.

----------

Wow, interesting to hear just how castigated one can get by posting up some unbiased experiences with a piece of metal and plastic.

Y'all pretty defensive about your little tablet there.

Yeah, I figured it all out but it was just a hassle to do so. And I don't know that I need to post my resume but I'm pretty confident I'll hold up well to any of you clowns.

This is a lot like why I own macs rather than windows boxes. You can do anything on a windows box - from a purely functional basis - that you can do on a mac. Word process, look at pictures, email, websurf, etc. There is a major, but in some ways very subtle, "it just works" factor that comes with Apple. This is true in spades for Nexus vs iPad.

Go ahead and use your little Nexus 7. It is functional. I used it just last night to finish off that video that he first responder had me try off of utorrent.

[By the way after the video playback the entire screen remained 70% washed out for 20 minutes as the Nvidia chip had a messed up gamma setting that took a while to settle back out. Yes, this is repeatable; google Nexus 7 washed out screen and watch people puzzle over this one.]

I'ts just not as easy.

Y'all are crazy. I own a Nexus 7 (corporate). I can use it for FREE FOREVER. I make programs for it (HTML5 apps and native android apps) so it's not that I can't figure it out. What reason do I have to go out and spend $700 on an iPad mini if that Nexus 7 works so well?

If you don't have the bucks, and you're somewhat technical, go ahead and get a Nexus. If you like a Kia because that Porsche is just too annoying, go ahead.

Many people think that $180 extra for an mini is too much (comparing 32GB wifi models) but if you can afford the difference the mini is much easier to work with.

I don't really care what any of you choose to buy. Not my business. But it's absolutely true that:
(i) the Nexus is somewhat cheaper, and
(ii) the iPad mini is far less frustrating.

Now, if it only had that damned retina screen...

But which is,the Porsche and which is the Kia? The problem with your analogy is that the Porsche is packing the Kia engine and the Kia is packing the Porsche engine, hence a little more complex then that (yes I know iPad has the 543mp2) but the CPU and screen are a major letdown.

Y'all come back now, Y'ear? ;)

Dlanod
Nov 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
That's the same setup I'm contemplating (i.e., returning mini, grabbing the 4, and keeping N7). Can't think it gets better than that.

Yeah I use google for email contacts and calendar so I'm OS agnostic - can sync it all across iOS or Android JB.

poipu420
Nov 5, 2012, 04:16 PM
I was able to try both devices over the weekend and almost decided on which tablet to purchase.

For value sake, I would say the nexus 7 has the clear advantage over the mini. The nexus 7 is currently selling clearance at 149$ for the 8GB version. I am thinking there is going to be a major slickdeal during Black Friday. Although the processor beats the mini's, I still don't see any noticeable difference.

However, although value is nice, sometimes comfort can outweigh the other pros in the buying decision. I feel that the surfing experience on the ipad mini is smoother, clearer, and more comfortable that the N7 regardless of the lower resolution. Although the N7 jelly bean updates the interface, I feel it is not as polished as Apples.

If I was a casual internet user, I would purchase the n7 and keep the extra $200+ bucks. However, since I enjoy reading blogs, researching things on the internet, and surf a lot, I believe comfort should be my deciding factor. I shall see.

torana355
Nov 5, 2012, 05:20 PM
What makes those tasks much harder on iOS? I do all of that (besides setting another browser as default) with File Explorer and GoodPlayer. Have you tried either of these apps?

Yes I have and they don't work very good. the ac3 CODEC was removed making good player useless for most of my move collection. File explorer is a joke compared to Es explorer on Android.

powerbooks
Nov 5, 2012, 10:38 PM
I think widgets are self explanitory, maybe android isnt for people who are confused by widgets?

I don't know if you realized Mac OS also contains widgets.......

The point is Android widgets is a mess! I download one weather app, but bundled with at least six widget arrangements. Do we really need that many? For android it may be needed because so many different screen size!

palpatine
Nov 5, 2012, 10:49 PM
Don't you just love people who pull out these numbers out of their ass? Other than the first number quoted is correct, all the other numbers are pure fantasy.

Sadly, even the first number was wrong. Apple dis not sell over 3 million iPad Minis. It sold over 3 million iPads over the weekend. I'd say it was mostly Mini sales, but strangely, Apple is not saying.

Dlanod
Nov 6, 2012, 03:03 AM
Totally agree with the above. I plan on buying a Mini, just waiting for the next refresh hopefully with a better screen and processor. :)

Right - so you think the Mini that hasn't been released yet is better than the Nexus 7 that has. It's funny isn't that an unreleased tablet is always going to be better than on that has. So you'll be buying a tablet when exactly - using this logic that would be never.

Random 995K
Nov 6, 2012, 03:15 AM
The Nexus 7 lags so much i couldn't even use my friends one for more than a few minutes before it started crashing on everything i opened. The ipad mini is definitely worth the extra $100.

Dlanod
Nov 6, 2012, 03:46 AM
The Nexus 7 lags so much i couldn't even use my friends one for more than a few minutes before it started crashing on everything i opened. The ipad mini is definitely worth the extra $100.

You must have had a dodgy one. Mine is pretty snappy across all apps. Not quite as fast as my 4th gen iPad but still pretty good. And great for typing on. Perfect size - I found the Mini just a fraction too wide.

Hpye
Nov 6, 2012, 04:15 AM

Utorrent?, android is for pirates

roxxette
Nov 6, 2012, 04:20 AM
Utorrent?, android is for pirates

Whe got a SOPA supporter here ! :eek: j/k

gquiring
Nov 6, 2012, 06:49 PM

Suck it up google. Apple IS the market. Just scrap your failed nexus program and we will all be happier without having to gawp at a sub-standard product.Facts? The fact is your post is 100% false. For starters they are selling 1 million Nexus 7's per month. Your other numbers are just as inaccurate. Amazing how some will lie just to be an Apple fan. If you like Apple more that's fine, but don't post BS.

I own an iPad 2, 3 and iPhone 4. I recently retired my iPhone 4 for Galaxy S3 and bought a Nexus 7 last month. I think Apple had a good reason to try and shut Samsung down with all those lawsuits, Samsung is clear threat to Apple. I am so impressed with my Nexus 7 I am going to retire my iPad 3 in the coming months for a larger Android tablet.

weas
Nov 6, 2012, 07:13 PM

The problem of android is exactly that. It seems that people from android forget what customers are. I only know a profile of people who would pick an android tablet over an iPad in a second: just graduated computer engineering students who are eager to put their hands on some free code they can play with.
A normal customer just wants it to be simple, smoth and EASY :)

Rodster
Nov 6, 2012, 07:13 PM
Facts? The fact is your post is 100% false. For starters they are selling 1 million Nexus 7's per month. Your other numbers are just as inaccurate. Amazing how some will lie just to be an Apple fan. If you like Apple more that's fine, but don't post BS.

I own an iPad 2, 3 and iPhone 4. I recently retired my iPhone 4 for Galaxy S3 and bought a Nexus 7 last month. I think Apple had a good reason to try and shut Samsung down with all those lawsuits, Samsung is clear threat to Apple. I am so impressed with my Nexus 7 I am going to retire my iPad 3 in the coming months for a larger Android tablet.

Yup the N7 is a fabulous product and I own one, well deserved of the praise it's gotten. Some of these post in this thread you could have sworn it was Tim Cook's mother who wrote them.

marc11
Nov 6, 2012, 07:19 PM

That is such a load of crap that it is so obvious you pulled it out of your butt. Really, I wish I could drop such a dump in the morning, I too would feel much better.

----------

I don't know if you realized Mac OS also contains widgets.......

The point is Android widgets is a mess! I download one weather app, but bundled with at least six widget arrangements. Do we really need that many? For android it may be needed because so many different screen size!

Yes, you do need that many, its called choice. You do not need to USE all six, but I like choice. Apple gives you ONE choice, NONE or its way, period. As for OSX widgets, come on they are a joke. Most written years ago and not updated, only available on one screen, not where you would like them and they are often limited. Having 10 wigets all on one screen, yeah thats helpful...Face it, the Android implmentation of widgets, desktops and notification center is far better then iOS and OSX at the moment.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

palpatine
Nov 6, 2012, 07:20 PM
The problem of android is exactly that. It seems that people from android forget what customers are. I only know a profile of people who would pick an android tablet over an iPad in a second: just graduated computer engineering students who are eager to put their hands on some free code they can play with.
A normal customer just wants it to be simple, smoth and EASY :)

Nice stereotype, but a million of these are sold each day, so I am thinking there are not that many computer engineers out there. I don't know if you have ever used Android, but it is amazingly simple. In some ways it is even easier to use than the iPad. As I recall, I couldn't even use my iPad until I had downloaded iTunes and plugged the thing into my computer. The Nexus 7 worked right out of the box.

marc11
Nov 6, 2012, 07:25 PM
Nice stereotype, but a million of these are sold each day, so I am thinking there are not that many computer engineers out there. I don't know if you have ever used Android, but it is amazingly simple. In some ways it is even easier to use than the iPad. As I recall, I couldn't even use my iPad until I had downloaded iTunes and plugged the thing into my computer. The Nexus 7 worked right out of the box.

The problem with most people and Android is they pick up someone elses device which has been customized by that person to work how they want, and then the person testing the device cannot fiqure it out. So they assume its crap. If they would go to a store or pick up an "out of the box" device they would see how simple it is and over a few hours once fully customized to THAT persons desired use, realize the power and ease of use.

Just picking up any old Android device that someone else has set up is not a true indication of the OS and that is a key difference with iOS, every iOS device is 100% the same. Sure, maybe the folder are different, and oh my, maybe they are on different pages, but unless jailbroken, you can be sure you will find the stupid Newstand app on one of the screens, and you will see folders and icons and swiping right will always bring up the search screen and any device running the same iOS version.

Android is different, each device for each user is custom to THAT users preferences.

jsw
Nov 6, 2012, 07:35 PM
Android is different, each device for each user is custom to THAT users preferences.
This is exactly right.

Also, arguably most Android devices probably look a lot like they did out of the box because most users aren't going to do much - in the same way that most iPhone users never put apps in folders or change many other settings. So, for most devices, if you've used one of that model, you can use any of them. The main difference is that there are so many Android variants.

That said, I think the variations are starting to dwindle. 4.1/4.2 is an excellent OS and very competitive with and arguably better than iOS 6. I hope it takes off, because the best way to have a better iOS 7 is to have a better Android fighting against it.

palpatine
Nov 6, 2012, 07:47 PM
The problem with most people ...
I don't know about most people, but in my experience, the "intuitive" iOS and "geeky" Android stereotypes are not borne out in practice. I've known plenty of people who have had trouble with iOS, and plenty of people who have trouble with Android. I don't think customizability is an issue.

According to sales numbers and phone activations, more people may have familiarity with Android (through the phones) than with iOS. Whatever the actual numbers, in the end it means a lot of people are quite comfortable with either system, and it isn't a big deal. Jelly Bean, in particular, is extremely user friendly.

marc11
Nov 6, 2012, 08:00 PM
I don't know about most people, but in my experience, the "intuitive" iOS and "geeky" Android stereotypes are not borne out in practice. I've known plenty of people who have had trouble with iOS, and plenty of people who have trouble with Android. I don't think customizability is an issue.

According to sales numbers and phone activations, more people may have familiarity with Android (through the phones) than with iOS. Whatever the actual numbers, in the end it means a lot of people are quite comfortable with either system, and it isn't a big deal. Jelly Bean, in particular, is extremely user friendly.

Sorry I used "most people" in a slang type of way, I should have said "people who are used to iOS and then pick up someones Android phone and find it complicated..."

palpatine
Nov 6, 2012, 08:19 PM
Sorry I used "most people" in a slang type of way, I should have said "people who are used to iOS and then pick up someones Android phone and find it complicated..."

Very true. But, I think it goes both ways. Android people picking up iOS fumble around on it in a painful way. The pencil icons, the "open in" icons, the hand gestures, etc. are not explained anywhere, and definitely are not intuitive. Eventually, I think everyone gets it, and it's no big deal.

There are all sorts of other factors to consider when buying a device, but at the basic level of picking it up and doing something with it, they are both about the same in my opinion. I just do not see the Android experience as a lesser one in general, or on the N7 in particular. I will say, though, that in the old days of Android (Honeycomb on back), things were very unpleasant. Android turned a corner in 2012 with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.

Saturn1217
Nov 6, 2012, 08:52 PM
I literally just checked out the ipad mini at the apple store. I've previously checked out a nexus 7 a couple times at staples. I don't have a tablet yet but I do have an I pod touch and a galaxy nexus so I'm pretty flexible although I do confess I favor android atleast for a phone os.

I think that in terms of form factor apple nailed it. 4:3 aspect ratio is definitely my preference. I loved the weight in my hand.

BUT once I tried using the ipad mini I noticed a few things that surprised me:

1) the lower resolution was immediately apparent. And I'm one of the people who thinks that the retina screen on the rMBP is a gimmick. The screen was noticably worse than my galaxy nexus which has a very questionable quality screen.

2) it was very apparent to me that i was using an interface that was intended for a larger screen. My 4.7 inch galaxy nexus is used for a lot of browsing and i found it much harder to correctly hit touch targets in safari on the ipad mini. I only tested safari but this has me very concerned about overall usability of a tablet using an interface that wasnt optimized for that size. Just something to think about that i wasn't expecting.

3) performance was not good. Android is certainly not perfect but the ipad mini was not smooth enough to warrant the price premium.

Based on what I saw (in my opinion) if you are interested in a small tablet and you are not tied to iOS then the ipad mini right now is not worth the price. I am sure that in the future apple will correct this but right now as someone who really wanted an ipad mini I was disappointed which is not how I usually feel walking out of an apple store...

mantan
Nov 6, 2012, 09:49 PM
I was on the fence for the Mini and rather than wait for the iPad 2 - I went ahead and got a Nexus 7.

Very early impressions.

There is a bit of a learning curve...but I think that comes with any new device, so it's not big deal. My wife's laptop died and we are considering our first Mac. The universal advice she has heard is 'there is a bit of learning curve coming from Windows, but once you get it down you won't go back.

The overall build quality seems fine. It seems like a very solid device, the textured back makes it a bit easier to hold than some Apple products when they are naked.

As much as I worried about being deep into the Apple ecosystem, 95% of the apps I use on a regular basis were available and worked just fine.

The system it self does seem a little 'sticky' in a way in that web scrolling and switching doesn't feel as smooth as an iOS device. I'm also not a huge fan of the keyboard...it doesn't seem as responsive as I'd like.

I got it mostly for business travel. I'm getting ready to head out for two back to back trips where I'll see how it holds up.

Overall the jury is still out. I see some good and some things that are not so good. But I wouldn't describe the experience as very poor.

palpatine
Nov 6, 2012, 10:03 PM
I literally just checked out the ipad mini at the apple store. I've previously checked out a nexus 7 a couple times at staples. I don't have a tablet yet but I do have an I pod touch and a galaxy nexus so I'm pretty flexible although I do confess I favor android atleast for a phone os.

I think that in terms of form factor apple nailed it. 4:3 aspect ratio is definitely my preference. I loved the weight in my hand.

BUT once I tried using the ipad mini I noticed a few things that surprised me:

1) the lower resolution was immediately apparent. And I'm one of the people who thinks that the retina screen on the rMBP is a gimmick. The screen was noticably worse than my galaxy nexus which has a very questionable quality screen.

2) it was very apparent to me that i was using an interface that was intended for a larger screen. My 4.7 inch galaxy nexus is used for a lot of browsing and i found it much harder to correctly hit touch targets in safari on the ipad mini. I only tested safari but this has me very concerned about overall usability of a tablet using an interface that wasnt optimized for that size. Just something to think about that i wasn't expecting.

3) performance was not good. Android is certainly not perfect but the ipad mini was not smooth enough to warrant the price premium.

Based on what I saw (in my opinion) if you are interested in a small tablet and you are not tied to iOS then the ipad mini right now is not worth the price. I am sure that in the future apple will correct this but right now as someone who really wanted an ipad mini I was disappointed which is not how I usually feel walking out of an apple store...

Yep. I know a lot of people like it on these forums, but to my eyes, it is a seriously compromised device selling at a premium price. I feel like Apple pushed it out the door to make a bit of easy money off the tweener niche market, but they aren't serious about it.

Maybe, if they had given it a retina screen (perhaps an impossibility) and/or a better processor (surely a possibility) then it could have turned heads and I don't think any of us would be on the forums even bothering to compare it to the N7 or Kindle Fire, because (like the iPad used to be) it would be in a class of its own.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out, but at any rate, the N7 is hardly "really poor compared to mini".

Lara F
Nov 7, 2012, 02:54 AM
The system it self does seem a little 'sticky' in a way in that web scrolling and switching doesn't feel as smooth as an iOS device. I'm also not a huge fan of the keyboard...it doesn't seem as responsive as I'd like.

Definitely test out some different keyboards if you're not liking the default - that's a major advantage of Android. Swiftkey and Swype are probably the most popular. Might not be better for you, but worth a try.

roxxette
Nov 7, 2012, 02:57 AM
The ipad mini is a overpriced decice, cant imagine the millions of people that forget they have to eat in order to have everything with a apple logo :(

J/k :D

d123
Nov 7, 2012, 03:47 AM
Facts? The fact is your post is 100% false. For starters they are selling 1 million Nexus 7's per month. Your other numbers are just as inaccurate. Amazing how some will lie just to be an Apple fan. If you like Apple more that's fine, but don't post BS.

LOL

Samsung? You do realise that Samsung has nothing to do with the Nexus 7? As in, it is not a Samsung product.

Looking at the number of posts in this thread (and the innumerable and tedious soundalike threads added every 5 minutes or so), I think we should ask Admin to provide an Android or even just Nexus 7 section for all the Android/Nexus 7 owners who insist on posting about it every 5 minutes.

If they had their own section, perhaps they would be less inclined to want to post the same old thing over and over, in a section supposedly about the Apple iPad.

roxxette
Nov 7, 2012, 03:49 AM
Yeah the damm Nexus 7 is from Asus people, get a grip.

d123
Nov 7, 2012, 03:51 AM
Definitely test out some different keyboards if you're not liking the default - that's a major advantage of Android. Swiftkey and Swype are probably the most popular. Might not be better for you, but worth a try.

When I had a Nexus 7, the keyboards are almost all equally bad. The only one, with a slight improvement was Swiftkey, but even then it didn't have the preciseness of iOS devices (probably due to apple patents relating to key input).

palpatine
Nov 7, 2012, 04:49 AM
LOL

Samsung? You do realise that Samsung has nothing to do with the Nexus 7? As in, it is not a Samsung product.

Looking at the number of posts in this thread (and the innumerable and tedious soundalike threads added every 5 minutes or so), I think we should ask Admin to provide an Android or even just Nexus 7 section for all the Android/Nexus 7 owners who insist on posting about it every 5 minutes.

If they had their own section, perhaps they would be less inclined to want to post the same old thing over and over, in a section supposedly about the Apple iPad.

In a thread titled "Nexus 7 experience really poor compared to mini" people keep posting about the Nexus, and that bothers you? You might want to try another thread, then, that talks exclusively about Apple products and avoids any discussion of (what some people see as) superior alternatives. You'll also want to avoid watching the Apple Keynote for the iPad Mini, because Phil Schiller talked about it too.

Anyhow, good point about the company behind the Nexus 7. The issue here raises an interesting point about Android -- how do companies maintain their brand identity when they build with Android? Windows had this problem too, and one thing to Apple's credit is that no matter what you think about any device, the design is impeccable, distinctive, and I think unparalleled. In terms of industrial design, they are probably one of the most innovative companies around, hands down.

They've got the body right. With better componentry, they could have knocked this product launch out of the park, and none of us would even bring up any of the Android devices, because they wouldn't have been seen as competition. But, Apple didn't bring their A-game, so we have threads like this speaking the "truth" as we see it. Hopefully, Phil is reading these forums and seeing that some of his most avid product fans (how many Apple devices do I have? I've lost count) can't even bring themselves to purchase the iPad Mini, because something like the N7 is just that impressive.

d123
Nov 7, 2012, 05:08 AM
In a thread titled "Nexus 7 experience really poor compared to mini" people keep posting about the Nexus, and that bothers you?

Words written on the internet makes it hard to show when something is tongue in cheek (perhaps I should have used a few smilies :p;)).

I find it weird that so many Nexus owners feel the need to post on an Apple forum, but does it bother me? No, not really, I am more amused by it than bothered.

palpatine
Nov 7, 2012, 05:33 AM
Words written on the internet makes it hard to show when something is tongue in cheek (perhaps I should have used a few smilies :p;)).

I find it weird that so many Nexus owners feel the need to post on an Apple forum, but does it bother me? No, not really, I am more amused by it than bothered.

:)

Well, you raise a good point. Why am I bothering to post here?

I think I addressed it here or in another thread, but I think I can sum it up by saying that we express and define our identities through our consumption preferences, and we are not only financially invested in the products, but we spend most of our waking hours with them, so we want to have the best experience possible. Gadgets matter a lot, and I am willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. I am even willing to make compromises by living within the restrictive Appleverse of Apple products, Apple apps, and even (legally for tablet products in the US) the Apple OS. But, in exchange, I expect Apple to treat us well. I think none of us want to feel like isheep being fleeced by Apple.

Yet, that is exactly how I feel when they release anemic products that lack leading edge technology. The iPod Touch has been a year or so behind the leading edge for a few iterations now. The iPad 4 didn't get a new body to match the rest of the lineup (and maybe provide less weight). The iPad Mini carries screen tech from 2007 and innards from 2011 or so. The only product I see that is impressive is the iPhone 5. I cannot bear to see people posting threads like this that (in my opinion) pretend that the Mini is superior (despite so much evidence to the contrary). Tell the emperor he hasn't got any clothes on!

I think we owe it to ourselves (and perhaps even to Apple) to stand up and say what we think about this. The Mini is not what it could have been (technologically) or should have been. At this point, Android's operating system is the most innovative one out there (I think the inclusion of multiple users this time around was big). Their products (the N7 and N10) are much more advanced in several respects. I want to keep purchasing products that I enjoy from Apple, but it is headed in a very bad direction. Emails to Phil probably won't have much impact, but discussing what exactly I find appealing about other products, and what exactly I see lacking in the Mini might (wishful thinking, perhaps) influence someone at Apple to bring their A-game to the next Apple announcement.

[EDIT:] It looks like we have been consigned to the back rooms of the forums, where no one will read what I just wrote. The mods deleted a bunch of posts the other day as well (I think they were all on topic, but who knows, because now it is all gone). More wasted time. More tilting at windmills.

OK. I am done. Off to work now. I've got to stop bothering with these forums :(

MrWillie
Nov 7, 2012, 06:00 AM

Man I really get tired of people posting this crap, it's how Google makes its money. :rolleyes: (Did I use the correct smiley ?:)) There are tightwads out there that are afraid to buy anything whith money, so they whore themselves out.

Just do like I do, I don't use ANY Google services. Not even for search.

My question for all the Android users. How well does News Stand and iBooks (the interactive ones) work on Android ? What about AirPlay ? How easy is it to print from an Android device ?

weas
Nov 7, 2012, 06:15 AM

Of course I was being funny, although it's in part true.

I have had android devices for 3 years, iOS is just simpler and better optimized. The menus are more clear and seem less "everloaded", besides it's nices to have a grey/white environment than a black one.

maflynn
Nov 7, 2012, 06:17 AM
There are tightwads out there that are afraid to buy anything whith money, so they whore themselves out.

I think that in general this is an unfair characterization, many people chose an android product not just because its cheaper but rather its the best product fitting their needs.

If you don't want to use google services and its products, then that's your option, but you cannot say every android or google user is someone who's willing to whore themselves out in the name of price.

Oletros
Nov 7, 2012, 06:30 AM
There are tightwads out there that are afraid to buy anything whith money, so they whore themselves out.

Yap, because everyone that buys an Android is because he can afford other things, isn't it?

My question for all the Android users. How well does News Stand and iBooks (the interactive ones) work on Android ? What about AirPlay ? How easy is it to print from an Android device ?

I don't know, Apple has not developed them for Android so people has to use alternatives like Google Magazines, Kobo, Kindle mobi8 books, DLNA or Google Cloud Print.

shiinx
Nov 7, 2012, 07:06 AM
Last Friday, after checking out the iPad mini in store, I went home with a Nexus 7 (32GB). Since I didn't own any Apple or Goggle product before [still using a dumb phone], I had no preference for OS. I went along with the Nexus because of the better screen quality (tested this with several PDFs I am going to read on the devices) and because the Nexus cost less than half of what I would have to pay for an iPad Mini with 32GB and GPS (I don't need the cellular, only the GPS) - 250Euro vs. 560 Euro.
After having used the Nexus over the weekend, I think it is a very nice device but for one major flaw, that will make me return the device today: The 16:9 aspect ratio by itself is okay, but when holding the device in landscape mode you get much less real estate. First, there are the top and softkey bars of the OS, that take away space. Then, when using Chrome, there are the tabs and the URL bar taking away space. So what is left to show the actual website is closer to 21:9 (roughly 1280*620). Also, many free apps use a banner ad, that also takes away premium vertical space.
If you could move the OS bars to the left and right in landscape mode (or hide them like in video apps), I believe this tablet would work nicely. But as it stands now, it is not really usable for me.
Unfortunately, so is the iPad mini with its display. Thus, I'll have to wait either for an Android 4:3 tablet in this size or an iPad mini retina...

Pjstock42
Nov 7, 2012, 07:30 AM
Nexus is better than the mini simply because of the mini's horrid screen resolution. Pixel density makes a big difference when you're using a device for reading text.

cynics
Nov 7, 2012, 07:57 AM
I think most of us post here because we enjoy to debate regardless if you are a diehard IOS or Android fan.

Someone arguing about how much better Apple is to Android THEN writing they don't understand why Android users come he is amusing to me. We all know its the same reason you come here. People that truly don't care are the majority of members here that don't come to the alternative section.

There are iOS sections on Android forums like Android Central that are just like this.

Personally I don't care what people use but I enjoy debating why I feel my choice is better. :)

dalbir4444
Nov 7, 2012, 08:03 AM

I don't understand this mentality. Do you think Apple users are superior because they buy more expensive products? No wonder Apple prices their products so high. I bet if the iPad Mini was $500, you would still justify it and claim that it should be this expensive because of the 'ecosystem'.

Elit3
Nov 7, 2012, 08:17 AM

I totally agree, it is not a matter of which is better, it is a matter of opinion. Myself, I life the N7, I like the innovation at Google over Apple, and I like the specs on paper, and that it mirrored in the experience (I am a desktop gamer). But I like things about the mini also, for example, the "it just works" experience on iOS, the ease of updating, and the build quality is apparently better (the feel to the device). The N7 wouldn't feel as premium, it feels good, but not as good.

And with the thread authors problems, I have not encountered any such problem, maybe check at the xda devs forum, or start a thread there.

And by no means am I trolling :)

mantan
Nov 7, 2012, 08:39 AM
:)

Well, you raise a good point. Why am I bothering to post here?

I think I addressed it here or in another thread, but I think I can sum it up by saying that we express and define our identities through our consumption preferences, and we are not only financially invested in the products, but we spend most of our waking hours with them, so we want to have the best experience possible. Gadgets matter a lot, and I am willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. I am even willing to make compromises by living within the restrictive Appleverse of Apple products, Apple apps, and even (legally for tablet products in the US) the Apple OS. But, in exchange, I expect Apple to treat us well. I think none of us want to feel like isheep being fleeced by Apple.

Yet, that is exactly how I feel when they release anemic products that lack leading edge technology. The iPod Touch has been a year or so behind the leading edge for a few iterations now. The iPad 4 didn't get a new body to match the rest of the lineup (and maybe provide less weight). The iPad Mini carries screen tech from 2007 and innards from 2011 or so. The only product I see that is impressive is the iPhone 5. I cannot bear to see people posting threads like this that (in my opinion) pretend that the Mini is superior (despite so much evidence to the contrary). Tell the emperor he hasn't got any clothes on!

I think we owe it to ourselves (and perhaps even to Apple) to stand up and say what we think about this. The Mini is not what it could have been (technologically) or should have been. At this point, Android's operating system is the most innovative one out there (I think the inclusion of multiple users this time around was big). Their products (the N7 and N10) are much more advanced in several respects. I want to keep purchasing products that I enjoy from Apple, but it is headed in a very bad direction. Emails to Phil probably won't have much impact, but discussing what exactly I find appealing about other products, and what exactly I see lacking in the Mini might (wishful thinking, perhaps) influence someone at Apple to bring their A-game to the next Apple announcement.

[EDIT:] It looks like we have been consigned to the back rooms of the forums, where no one will read what I just wrote. The mods deleted a bunch of posts the other day as well (I think they were all on topic, but who knows, because now it is all gone). More wasted time. More tilting at windmills.

OK. I am done. Off to work now. I've got to stop bothering with these forums :(

I couldn't agree more. I really wanted to love the Mini. I've been hanging out in the iPad forum ever since there were rumors ones would be coming out.

But I was so dissapointed in the Mini as a product, that I ended up going in a different direction to my first Android device.

Like you, I'm absolutely fine paying a premium for a product/experience that i feel is superior. But I just didn't get that with the Mini. I felt like i'd be paying a premium for a compromised device. This isn't like the iPad 1 where it was a brand new segment, there are other viable competitors out there.

I feel like Apple is getting to the point where they treat their customer base like a big ATM machine. They can come out every 6-12 months and cash no matter what they roll out.

I never thought I'd entertain the option of non-Apple 7 inch device when I heard the Mini was coming....yet here I am with a brand new Nexus 7. I would hope softer than expected sales or concerned opinions from customers who traditionally buy Apple would carry some weight. I'm not an Apple basher by any means. Heck, I've bought 7 Apple products the last 2 years. But they just didn't win my business this time.

Krevnik
Nov 7, 2012, 01:02 PM
I agree with what you've said, and I didn't mean to imply (if I did) that Apple was bad (and/or worse than Google), just that everyone collects and tries to make money (directly or indirectly) from data provided by customers. To me, it's the price paid for the convenience of the Internet and mobile communication.

This is a pretty broad brush. The ad networks (and Google is one) live entirely on the idea of selling access to a set of users. They are selling access to us. You can spin it and call it "subsidizing a good device/services", but neither way is really wrong. They are opposite sides of the same coin.

However, many companies live on the idea of selling a product still. They may try to figure out how to maximize the number of products they sell, but they still live and die on the product itself. They aren't nearly as invested in "selling you" as much as the ad networks are. Apple pays for their operations through hardware and software sales. iAds mostly seem a half-hearted attempt at not letting ad revenue leave the platform without Apple getting at least a cut of it. There just isn't the same drive to enable 3rd parties access to the user base in the form of user data. In fact, 3rd parties are annoyed at Apple at not wanting to share as much data as they want from Apple users.

The location data issue with the cache in this context falls under a security bug with privacy ramifications. It isn't even the same class of issue as someone actively harvesting location data to sell more valuable ads, which the ad networks are doing.

That said, there are enough folks plugged into the ad networks now, that it doesn't really matter what any one company does. You will get data mined in the end by someone else instead.

tech4all
Nov 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
Nexus is better than the mini simply because of the mini's horrid screen resolution. Pixel density makes a big difference when you're using a device for reading text.

True, but you're forgetting:

- double the RAM
- quad core and faster processor
- more storage

All of this for less $$$ :D

jsw
Nov 7, 2012, 03:55 PM
This is a pretty broad brush. The ad networks (and Google is one) live entirely on the idea of selling access to a set of users. They are selling access to us. You can spin it and call it "subsidizing a good device/services", but neither way is really wrong. They are opposite sides of the same coin.

However, many companies live on the idea of selling a product still. They may try to figure out how to maximize the number of products they sell, but they still live and die on the product itself.

I agree with your points, but I do feel that Apple - who is now firmly in the "selling a product" category - is aware of the fact that these types of things - phones, tablets, music players - are ultimately going to become commodities, and I think they're planning on monetizing their information significantly more as time goes on. They might more and more sell access to our information, or they might more and more use that information to get us to buy from them, but the information will be used.

As much as Google uses it? Likely not, at least not in the foreseeable future. But it will become used far more, and I also think companies like Google and Amazon will start to be able to get more profit from their devices as well, once they get people hooked on them.

Parity is on the way.

gquiring
Nov 7, 2012, 05:33 PM
LOL

If they had their own section, perhaps they would be less inclined to want to post the same old thing over and over, in a section supposedly about the Apple iPad.I am not Ray Charles, I can easily see ASUS on the back of my Nexus 7. You didn't understand my point.

jsw
Nov 7, 2012, 07:07 PM
That's a great idea!!

Maybe they should call the section "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" or something like that.

----------

I am not Ray Charles, I can easily see ASUS on the back of my Nexus 7. You didn't understand my point.
Ray Charles could feel the engraved "ASUS". You know, because of the soft, grippy, comfortable "cheap plastic" back. So much worse than cold, slippery, hard aluminum.

unlinked
Nov 7, 2012, 08:29 PM

Unless someone is breaking into your house and forcing you to use Google products against your will I don't understand your rape claims. Do you know what rape is?

unlinked
Nov 7, 2012, 08:45 PM

Is 5 years really the lifetime of a tablet?

As for estimating the 5 year return rate for 2 devices released this year.....

SlCKB0Y
Nov 7, 2012, 11:01 PM
Don't be fooled by the people telling you the Nexus 7 is as good and save the money.

Let me see if I can summarise your post.

The Nexus 7 is fine and did everything I wanted it to except except I downloaded a DLNA app and I couldn't work out how to use it therefore the Nexus is a terrible device and I hate it.

Any other issues I have with the device are most likely due to me not giving it a chance and trying to use it like it's iOS.

marc11
Nov 7, 2012, 11:10 PM
Is 5 years really the lifetime of a tablet?

As for estimating the 5 year return rate for 2 devices released this year.....

According to Apple it is now 6 months....

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 12:25 AM

No it doesn't, not on a 7 inch screen. You must have terrible eyesight.

Vitrum
Nov 8, 2012, 01:06 AM

If he have terrible eyesight he wouldnt complaint about the mini...

marc11
Nov 8, 2012, 01:17 AM

Wait, answer this. Apple said that retina was better because the distance from which you would hold the iPad, ie about reading distance was close enough to see pixles and not a sharp image. And a smaller screen would be, be default, that you would hold it even closer due to the smaller text, all things being equal. Therefore, if Apples marketing spin on the need for retina was correct and not just a can of crap, then a smaller screen, held closer to the user would require a much higher resolution screen than even the normal iPad....

And yet, somehow, NOW its perfectly fine? So which is right, you need retina in a larger screen held further way, or you do not need it in a smaller screen held closer?

Oh and next year when the retina mini is released, and everyone trades up and buys that, and Apple raves about how the text is sharper and clearer and how much better it is...and all the threads about how its "retina or nothing" as they did about the iPad 3 and MBP retina, then what of the statements that retina is not needed in a small tablet like the mini? Because you know, a brighter screen, with nice colors and tons of reflection just highlights in a brighter way how bad it is...the reflection is a bonus for all the MBP and previous gen iMac owners out there; because you know the reflection out in the sunlight might actually make your mini screen look better since you can't see it.

Really, why can't owners of the mini and defenders of the Apple crown just admit, that a better display would be great, that the current display is okay, but no where near as good as the Nexus nor the Kindle Fire HD and Apple pulled a fast one by rushing this device to market with the full plan to release a retina one next spring (just my guess) to double their mini sales to all the lemingings who ran out to buy the current one?

Really, why can't the blind Apple fans see what Apple has started doing with these device releases and upgrades over the past 2 to 3 years, it is so obvious.

waloshin
Nov 8, 2012, 01:36 AM

All the problems with the Nexus 7 was the OPs fault.
iOS is not more polished its extremly basic that to me is not polished.

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 02:36 AM
Wait, answer this. Apple said that retina was better because the distance from which you would hold the iPad, ie about reading distance was close enough to see pixles and not a sharp image. And a smaller screen would be, be default, that you would hold it even closer due to the smaller text, all things being equal. Therefore, if Apples marketing spin on the need for retina was correct and not just a can of crap, then a smaller screen, held closer to the user would require a much higher resolution screen than even the normal iPad....

And yet, somehow, NOW its perfectly fine? So which is right, you need retina in a larger screen held further way, or you do not need it in a smaller screen held closer?

Oh and next year when the retina mini is released, and everyone trades up and buys that, and Apple raves about how the text is sharper and clearer and how much better it is...and all the threads about how its "retina or nothing" as they did about the iPad 3 and MBP retina, then what of the statements that retina is not needed in a small tablet like the mini? Because you know, a brighter screen, with nice colors and tons of reflection just highlights in a brighter way how bad it is...the reflection is a bonus for all the MBP and previous gen iMac owners out there; because you know the reflection out in the sunlight might actually make your mini screen look better since you can't see it.

Really, why can't owners of the mini and defenders of the Apple crown just admit, that a better display would be great, that the current display is okay, but no where near as good as the Nexus nor the Kindle Fire HD and Apple pulled a fast one by rushing this device to market with the full plan to release a retina one next spring (just my guess) to double their mini sales to all the lemingings who ran out to buy the current one?

Really, why can't the blind Apple fans see what Apple has started doing with these device releases and upgrades over the past 2 to 3 years, it is so obvious.

You know how many people are perfectly happy with their ipad and iPad 2 with no intent of buying one with a retina display? Quite a few. You know how many people have been just fine with those terrible, non retina macbooks and macbook airs for years? a ton. Sure, a higher res display would be nice but there is MUCH more to a device than its resolution and ppi. I could sell this Mini and get a Nexus 7 tomorrow if I wanted, but I already had a Nexus 7 and this Mini is better IMO but thanks

Pjstock42
Nov 8, 2012, 07:39 AM
You know how many people are perfectly happy with their ipad and iPad 2 with no intent of buying one with a retina display? Quite a few. You know how many people have been just fine with those terrible, non retina macbooks and macbook airs for years? a ton. Sure, a higher res display would be nice but there is MUCH more to a device than its resolution and ppi. I could sell this Mini and get a Nexus 7 tomorrow if I wanted, but I already had a Nexus 7 and this Mini is better IMO but thanks

Your point still doesn't make any sense.

Apple made the conscious decision to omit a retina display from the mini and quip it with a screen worse than every competing product, and then proceeded to price it at over $100 more....

Apple themselves have conditioned me to always want the best screen resolution, I've bought in 100% to their "retina" marketing campaign, so why go back on it now? AT LEAST release it with a screen that's comparable to other 7" tablets, not far worse.

The first gen iPad mini is essentially a beta test for this market so Apple wanted to spend as little money as possible. If it turns out to be a success, we'll see the retina mini released somewhere between march - June.

maflynn
Nov 8, 2012, 08:24 AM
Apple made the conscious decision to omit a retina display from the mini and quip it with a screen worse than every competing product, and then proceeded to price it at over $100 more....

Based on what I've read, it seems apple's hands were tied with the iPad mini's screen. First the cost of producing a retina display, that is have 4x the pixels in the 7.9" display was cost prohibitive and the yields may not be there and wanting to avoid fragmenting the iOS platform further with a tablet that had a different resolution basically meant that the PPI for the mini was going to be lower.

From the rumors it appears that a retina based mini may be in the works for next year but who knows at this point

Diiiiips
Nov 8, 2012, 08:45 AM
Based on what I've read, it seems apple's hands were tied with the iPad mini's screen. First the cost of producing a retina display, that is have 4x the pixels in the 7.9" display was cost prohibitive and the yields may not be there and wanting to avoid fragmenting the iOS platform further with a tablet that had a different resolution basically meant that the PPI for the mini was going to be lower.

From the rumors it appears that a retina based mini may be in the works for next year but who knows at this point

I don't think there is any doubt at all that next years version will have retina.

maflynn
Nov 8, 2012, 09:01 AM
I don't think there is any doubt at all that next years version will have retina.

No but I think having an expectation of this spring maybe a bit out of line with reality.

VFC
Nov 8, 2012, 09:20 AM

I'm on the Apple forum because I purchased a 2012 cMBP and iPad 3. I also purchased a Nexus 7 and experienced first hand what people have been posting about the N7. I now rarely power on my iPad 3; preferring to use the N7.

I now also realize that the Apple experience is not all that special; especially given the premium price you have to pay to join (BTW - I am financially able to buy any (and all) Apple products). I am planning to buy a Win 8 Pro hybrid this holiday season (probably the Lenovo Yoga) and ditch my Apple products.

Oletros
Nov 8, 2012, 09:26 AM

Why? Someone that does owns Apple hardware can't own a Nexus tablet?

onthecouchagain
Nov 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
Why? Someone that does owns Apple hardware can't own a Nexus tablet?

Not only that, but we are all tech enthusiasts at heart. At the moment, Android and iOS are the most interesting players. Why would we not pay attention to both?

I've said myself I'm eager to see what iOS 7 brings with Ive at the helm. My fear, though, is that it'll primarily be aesthetics. But, if there are major improvements, I could enjoy them on my iPad.

kicko
Nov 8, 2012, 12:12 PM
MAybe someone can correct me if i am wrong but i am not understanding the point of this thread.

As far as i know the mini cannot do what your asking to be done, and neither can the nexus (by default) but with 3rd party software it is possible.

How would suggesting someone spend an extra $100 on a mini be advised based on the user experience of the OP?

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 12:42 PM
Your point still doesn't make any sense.

Apple themselves have conditioned me to always want the best screen resolution, I've bought in 100% to their "retina" marketing campaign, so why go back on it now? AT LEAST release it with a screen that's comparable to other 7" tablets, not far worse.

The first gen iPad mini is essentially a beta test for this market so Apple wanted to spend as little money as possible. If it turns out to be a success, we'll see the retina mini released somewhere between march - June.

Given Apple's success, I think they know what they are doing. The Nexus 7 has been selling 500-800k units a month since its release. The Mini just sold over 2 million in ONE WEEKEND So its obvious the average consumer doesnt have an issue with the Mini's display. Sorry you do. Go buy a Kindle or a Nexus 7.

Rodster
Nov 8, 2012, 01:01 PM
Given Apple's success, I think they know what they are doing. The Nexus 7 has been selling 500-800k units a month since its release. The Mini just sold over 2 million in ONE WEEKEND So its obvious the average consumer doesnt have an issue with the Mini's display. Sorry you do. Go buy a Kindle or a Nexus 7.

It's already noted that the N7 is selling 1 million a month. Apple is the market leader so you would expect them to sell more than the competition especially for a new product. ;)

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 01:08 PM
It's already noted that the N7 is selling 1 million a month. Apple is the market leader so you would expect them to sell more than the competition especially for a new product. ;)

My point is that the general public does not care about ppi and let that base their decision on what tablet to buy. Only tech nerds do that. The display of the Mini is perfectly acceptable for most people's uses.

Rodster
Nov 8, 2012, 01:11 PM
My point is that the general public does not care about ppi and let that base their decision on what tablet to buy. Only tech nerds do that. The display of the Mini is perfectly acceptable for most people's uses.
Agreed which is why I have said in the Mini threads that the resolution can't be as bad as some make it out to be especially from someone like me who still owns an iPad 2.

I would be all over the Mini if it weren't for the fact that I think we'll see a new Mini around Apr or May.

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 01:15 PM
Agreed which is why I have said in the Mini threads that the resolution can't be as bad as some make it out to be especially from someone like me who still owns an iPad 2.

I would be all over the Mini if it weren't for the fact that I think we'll see a new Mini around Apr or May.

So buy it and then sell it when the new one comes out. I did that with all 3 iPads, never had an issue.

Rodster
Nov 8, 2012, 01:20 PM
So buy it and then sell it when the new one comes out. I did that with all 3 iPads, never had an issue.

I would if I didn't have a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 on order. I'll definitely get a Mini next year. :)

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 01:29 PM

I'm pretty cynical but I think even you'd agree the general public is dumb. They don't even know the mini doesn't have a "retina" screen.

I don't buy products that are "acceptable" unless they are a good deal. However I don't have either, but I have my eye on the N10.

nigameash
Nov 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
I own an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I hate the fact that android has a lack of quality apps. I absolutely love the Nexus 7 as a device. I would never buy an android device if it wasn't a Nexus coz I dont like to wait 12-18 months for software updates (screw you samsung.)

There can be no comparison between the quality of apps that are available for the iPad vs android tablets. Android is clearly behind far behind iOS in terms of quality apps. My gf has a Galaxy Nexus and I find that as an android phone, there are still some decent apps but in terms of tablets, the iPad wins hands down.

I can't wait to buy the iPad mini when it launches with a retina display. I don't think I can settle for a non-retina display on an apple product after my iPhone.

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
I own an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I hate the fact that android has a lack of quality apps. I absolutely love the Nexus 7 as a device. I would never buy an android device if it wasn't a Nexus coz I dont like to wait 12-18 months for software updates (screw you samsung.)

There can be no comparison between the quality of apps that are available for the iPad vs android tablets. Android is clearly behind far behind iOS in terms of quality apps. My gf has a Galaxy Nexus and I find that as an android phone, there are still some decent apps but in terms of tablets, the iPad wins hands down.

I can't wait to buy the iPad mini when it launches with a retina display. I don't think I can settle for a non-retina display on an apple product after my iPhone.

Any apps in particular?

I don't have an issue unless you mean web apps. In that case I agree but I use the actual web browser for the real deal, not some watered down mobile app made to condense a web page onto a phone screen (Facebook, tapatalk, etc etc).

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 02:25 PM
Any apps in particular?

Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to name 3. I used to think there was no difference between apps for iOS and Android as well, but there is. Not only is the iOS Facebook app much faster, it has swipe gestures the Android version doesnt. Even the way it brings up a photo when you want to comment on it is different. You really need them side by side to compare.

Rodster
Nov 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
I really like the Dolphin browser. I like it's voice search, it's pretty accurate for me.

nStyle
Nov 8, 2012, 02:52 PM
I bought a Nexus 7 just to see if I could save some cash, but here is my experience:

I pulled up "The Verge" on both the 7 and the Mini. First, the Mini loaded it faster. Then, once it was up, I tried zooming and moving around. The Nexus had so many glitches while doing this, and was most of the time ignoring my gestures. The Mini was fluid, responsive, and predictable. Scrolling on the Nexus in general is very horrible compared to the Mini. This, alone, was enough to convince me that the Mini was superior. App selection on the Nexus is horrible in my opinion, considering you can't even get the new "SmartGlass" app from MS.

Even though the Mini has inferior internals, it is a VERY polished experience and doesn't leave anything left to be desired as far as performance goes. Everything works, and works well.

The Nexus 7 is excellent for a $200 tablet. I was REALLY impressed by their response to Siri, with their own voice search feature. It is arguably better than Siri in some regards. For $129 more, however, there is a world of difference. I wasn't a believer at first, but I am now. There is a justification for the extra $129. Also, I believe the form factor is far superior on the Mini, as well as the almost inch bigger screen. It is so much more useful than the skinny 7" screen on the Nexus.

Needless to say, Nexus is going back.

(By the way, I bought it instead of demoed because the store didn't have a demo and I don't know anyone that owns it)

SlCKB0Y
Nov 8, 2012, 05:02 PM

Why don't you enlighten us and explain what you mean by "raping" our privacy?

SlCKB0Y
Nov 8, 2012, 06:00 PM

How are you coming to that conclusion? How do you know they aren't buying it simply because its the cheapest way to buy into the iPad?

Why did all the iOS users care so much about the high PPI on iPhone 4 and iPad 3?

Now, when Apple releases the iPad mini with a relatively low PPI, it's no big deal and only geeks care about beautiful clear screens?

MikeAK
Nov 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
How are you coming to that conclusion? How do you know they aren't buying it simply because its the cheapest way to buy into the iPad?

Why did all the iOS users care so much about the high PPI on iPhone 4 and iPad 3?

Now, when Apple releases the iPad mini with a relatively low PPI, it's no big deal and only geeks care about beautiful clear screens?

Good questions! I'm guessing because it's an Apple product which means it's perfect.

dmelgar
Nov 8, 2012, 06:08 PM
Good questions! I'm guessing because it's an Apple product which means it's perfect.

Because its an Apple product everyone will complain about every real or imagined issue.

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 07:30 PM
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to name 3. I used to think there was no difference between apps for iOS and Android as well, but there is. Not only is the iOS Facebook app much faster, it has swipe gestures the Android version doesnt. Even the way it brings up a photo when you want to comment on it is different. You really need them side by side to compare.

I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?

This is my tapatalk and the other tabs are my Facebook and twitter....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/09/uzuzydad.jpg

I should care about my notifications more....lol

nStyle
Nov 8, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm still confused. Why would you use the crappy watered down version of web apps on a full screen device? There is literally less functionality in app form. Could you imagine sitting down at a laptop (PC or Mac) and using a mobile app because the device has a battery? Of course not, why would you on a tablet?

Apps exist for web based services the same reason those services like Facebook offer mobile versions. Web devs don't usually create a universally beautiful experience for every device, hence the need for an app. Sure, the experience is acceptable, but its not the same as having a perfectly formatted version.

I've really never noticed any watered down features that I missed dearly in many apps. Of course, there are a few aberrations, such as eBay, where you can't add tracking numbers for sales. But for quick, on the go access, I'd much rather have a properly formatted experience.

I really don't know why I just took the time to explain that because it should of been obvious, but, I digress.

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 08:47 PM
Apps exist for web based services the same reason those services like Facebook offer mobile versions. Web devs don't usually create a universally beautiful experience for every device, hence the need for an app. Sure, the experience is acceptable, but its not the same as having a perfectly formatted version.

I've really never noticed any watered down features that I missed dearly in many apps. Of course, there are a few aberrations, such as eBay, where you can't add tracking numbers for sales. But for quick, on the go access, I'd much rather have a properly formatted experience.

I really don't know why I just took the time to explain that because it should of been obvious, but, I digress.

Huh?

No. Web based apps exist to make a web page fit on a phone.

How have you not noticed any water down features!?! Delete/edit a comment in iOS on the FB app...that's so basic! How do you do ANYTHING in tapatalk!? Its missing everything! I hate twitter app, I use a different app to access twitter on my 4S.

List every web based app that looks and works better then their native web page?

Did you see the pic I posted? Let's compare again...

This....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/09/yqu2aqu8.jpg

Vs this...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/09/2e3ageru.jpg

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 09:14 PM

This is my tapatalk and the other tabs are my Facebook and twitter....

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/09/uzuzydad.jpg)

I should care about my notifications more....lol

Yea, no thanks. I'll do what I do. Using the mobile version of this site right now on my iPhone 5. Works fine for me.

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 09:46 PM
Yea, no thanks. I'll do what I do. Using the mobile version of this site right now on my iPhone 5. Works fine for me.

No one cares about your iPhone. We are talking about tablets. Obviously a mobile version looks better on a phone, thank you, I said that a couple post up.

/back to topic

SlCKB0Y
Nov 8, 2012, 10:01 PM
Did you see the pic I posted? Let's compare again...

Ooo cynics, is that a Nexus 7? How did you get the full tablet UI? are you running a custom rom for that? What do you recommend?