PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP with MAC GAMES!

gotohamish
Nov 24, 2002, 10:50 AM
Hi

FYI:
G4 500 with Rage 128 Pro AGP (Radeon 8500 currently on it's way)
Mac OSX 10.2.2
1.5GB RAM
Tons of HD.

I have Return to Castle Wolfenstein which worked right up to 10.2.0 and now have the demos of Ghost Recon and Jedi Knight. All three of these games give a Kernel Panic on playing - I KNOW the Rage isn't a supported card on RTCW and JK, but it is on Ghost Recon, and it still crashes.

Is there something I should be doing? My resolution is 1600x1200 but I tell the games to play at 640x480 - they auto change the monitor don't they?

Is there something faulty, or is my machine just too old for this kind of stuff? All you're comments will be warmly received - thanks people!!!

Hamish

job
Nov 24, 2002, 01:44 PM
That is really odd.

I can play GR and RtCW on my iMac with an 8MB ATi card.

By those specs, RtCW and JK2 should both play fine.

Do you change the monitor resolution yourself or do you let the games auto switch it?

gotohamish
Nov 24, 2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by hitman
That is really odd.

I can play GR and RtCW on my iMac with an 8MB ATi card.

By those specs, RtCW and JK2 should both play fine.

Do you change the monitor resolution yourself or do you let the games auto switch it?

i don't change any resolutions myself - the mac is running 1600x1200 like i said, but the game's options are 640x480 so I presume they're auto switching, correct?

I'm baffled - I'd buy a HELL of a lot more games if this didn't happen. I think it has something to do with recent version of Jaguar. I might be wrong though, as no once else complains!!

MacAztec
Nov 24, 2002, 04:19 PM
I have a G4 400Mhz with an ATI Radeon mac Edition AGP, and I play all those games under 10.2

Never had a problem. How did you install your system? Did you do an upgrade, or wipe and install or what?

gotohamish
Nov 25, 2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by MacAztec
I have a G4 400Mhz with an ATI Radeon mac Edition AGP, and I play all those games under 10.2

Never had a problem. How did you install your system? Did you do an upgrade, or wipe and install or what?

I did the restore in place I think - If I recall, it worked in 10.2, but not after 10.1.2 or 10.2.2 - AAGH!

scem0
Nov 25, 2002, 03:00 AM
Try looking in the knowledge base, and if there is nothing there
send some feedback to apple about the 10.2.2 update.
Sometimes you can just search for 'Ghost Recon Mac OS 10.2.2
crash' and something will come up, but you gotta be lucky for
that to happen.

As for the monitor switching, I would assume it would switch
automatically. All other games do. It would say somewhere if it
didn't switch automatically. You might take a peek at your manual.

I don't know if that will help or not :o but gl;)

gotohamish
Nov 25, 2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by scem0
Try looking in the knowledge base, and if there is nothing there
send some feedback to apple about the 10.2.2 update.
Sometimes you can just search for 'Ghost Recon Mac OS 10.2.2
crash' and something will come up, but you gotta be lucky for
that to happen.

As for the monitor switching, I would assume it would switch
automatically. All other games do. It would say somewhere if it
didn't switch automatically. You might take a peek at your manual.

I don't know if that will help or not :o but gl;)

Thanks, the Wolfenstein documentation and manual suggest it's auto switching, and as an aspyr game I'd expect it too.

Will try searching apple, thanks - thinking about installing X on another partition, and starting up from that for games = thoughts?

gotohamish
Nov 25, 2002, 06:03 AM
okay, problem erased as soon as the Radeon 8500 was installed. This is a PC Flashed version with 64MB and it screams! Jedi Knight Demo is still really jumpy.

Another question though while I have some attention - is Medal of honor good, I want something wolfenstein like, but Ghost Recon seems a little slow in gameplay (technically, not graphically)?

Cheers

gottfrid
Nov 25, 2002, 08:32 AM
Mohaa is great! If you like RtCW you will love Mohaa.