PDA

View Full Version : iBook/pBook trackpad query

Reckless
Sep 9, 2005, 08:33 AM
Sorry if these are two stupid questions but:

1. does the trackpad on either the iBook or the pBook work as a mouse button? (i.e. can you set it up so if you tap it twice it works like double click)

2. I noticed on a quick demo I just had that the trackpad moved quite slowly and then accelerated. Is this the only way it operates or can it be set to move swiftly immediately.

Thanks for any input.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 9, 2005, 09:05 AM
1. Yes

2. I'm not sure what you're meaning. My trackpad makes the cursor move just as fast as my finger...

Reckless
Sep 9, 2005, 11:22 AM
1. Yes

2. I'm not sure what you're meaning. My trackpad makes the cursor move just as fast as my finger...

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't make myself clear in respect of my second query. I had a brief go of the powerbook and I'm used to using my daughter's dell laptop trackpad where the speed of the pointer appears more constant. It seemed to me that the mouse movement wasn't even, but accelerated as I moved across the screen. My logitech mouse has the feature called pointer acceleration and it seemed as though on the pb it was on full. I looked in the trackball prefs but couldn't see anything to either set or change. I just wondered if this was standard as it just felt a little awkward to me.

Lazyhound
Sep 9, 2005, 12:52 PM
My iBook only does mouse acceleration with an external mouse, not so sure about the Powerbooks.

Peter Griffin
Sep 10, 2005, 12:42 AM
I run an iBook and have never experienced any "mouse acceleration"

GimmeSlack12
Sep 10, 2005, 01:22 AM
Although I've never really noticed it. There is a known cursor acceleration attribute to the Mac computers. Some people can't stand it, and some people never notice it. I'm one that has never noticed/cared about it. There are solutions to eliminate the option, perhaps someone knows what that is.

Reckless
Sep 10, 2005, 01:55 AM
Although I've never really noticed it. There is a known cursor acceleration attribute to the Mac computers. Some people can't stand it, and some people never notice it. I'm one that has never noticed/cared about it. There are solutions to eliminate the option, perhaps someone knows what that is.

I'd be really interested if that was the case. It may be something I'd get used to but it felt as though I wasn't fully in control of the mouse as I wasn't sure exactly how far it was going to move. I was either too delicate and so it moved too slowly or I was halfway across the screen when I just wanted to click on the close icon.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 10, 2005, 01:59 AM
I hear ya, I have just had to adjust to using a trackpad period. I think a mouse is way more precise to operate. Do a search for mouse acceleration or something like that. You should find many threads regarding it.

Reckless
Sep 10, 2005, 05:22 AM
I hear ya, I have just had to adjust to using a trackpad period. I think a mouse is way more precise to operate. Do a search for mouse acceleration or something like that. You should find many threads regarding it.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't really know what to search for but now I can see that what I experienced is quite common. Perhaps I found it a little odd as I've been using my daughter's dell laptop lately and when I had a brief test of the PB the difference between the way the cursor moved seemed quite noticeable.

For most of what I'll be using the laptop for, a mouse would be overkill. I'll just have to try some of the progs mentioned to see if they assist or simply get used to it.