Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Hi,

I had xp installed on bootcamp (32bit) for gaming, I wanted to upgrade to 64bit Win8 - went through the process and downloaded/received the 64bitDVD....ran bootcamp assistant which removed the previous install and then all seemed to be going well with the Win8 install, restarted and got the windows installation screen, restarted again once everything had been downloaded. This is where it starts to go wrong - the computer restarts several times and then I end up with an 0xc00001 error saying that I need to use the install DVD to repair the installation....the DVD is already in the slot, not sure how I would use the DVD to repair an installation that doesn't seem to have installed in the first place!
FYI:
-Installation accepts the code from my upgrade email.
-All windows driver files download to an external USB stick (600-700mb) successfully.
I'm wondering If I will have to get hold of a 64bit Win7/XP installation file - install that and then upgrade to Win864....? Can you upgrade xp32 to Win8-64??Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.