PDA

View Full Version : iPad 4 Vs Nexus 10

AT101ET
Nov 5, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hi,
Im thinking of getting a tablet soon. I currently have a 32GB iPod touch 5G.
I'm thinking of the iPad 4 32GB wifi only or the 32GB nexus 10.
My main uses are films, games, app usage and web browsing...
I personally like the simplicity of IOS but am willing to try android.
Is the nexus 10 better than the iPad in any other way besides the screen and price tag?

Also, how does the nexus 10 compare to its sister tablet the nexus 7?

thanks

jsw
Nov 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
I think the 7 is an excellent tablet and a great value.

I'm not convinced the 10 is as good a value, and no one except reviewers have used one yet. I'd wait a bit or just buy the iPad 4, which is a known quantity.

Don't get me wrong - I think the 10 is going to be a very nice tablet, with left and right speakers (much better for movie use) and some other perks, but... overall, while I can easily recommend the 7, I can't as easily recommend the 10 over the iPad 4. It's not much cheaper, and it's the first generation.

michaeljohn
Nov 5, 2012, 12:41 PM
"better" is a subjective term. The right choice is whatever works for YOU. There are millions of people so heavily invested in iOS apps that it doesnt matter what the competition puts out, they are only interested in i devices. Same can be said for Android. The thing that makes the Nexus 7 or 10 difficult is that you cannot walk into a store and try them out. Not too many people are willing to put out hundreds of dollars for a product they have never touched. Maybe wait for a friend to get a Nexus and try it out.

paulsalter
Nov 5, 2012, 12:49 PM
The thing that makes the Nexus 7 or 10 difficult is that you cannot walk into a store and try them out. Not too many people are willing to put out hundreds of dollars for a product they have never touched. Maybe wait for a friend to get a Nexus and try it out.

It might be different for where you are

Here in the UK the Nexus 7 is available in stores so people can try it out, don't know about the 10, but have no reason to believe it wont be the same

paulsalter
Nov 5, 2012, 01:07 PM

Unsure on the 10 as it's just new, but if it works as well as the 7 then it should be a very nice machine

films work very nicely, but if you have ones bought from itunes then there could be issues with drm
check the games/apps on the play store, some things are missing but there is usually an alternative

the nexus line can be as simple as you want them to be
when first used, enter your google id, this will set it up for you
then go to the play store, download an app and just select it on your home screen the same as iOS

Tarzanman
Nov 5, 2012, 04:24 PM
"better" is a subjective term. The right choice is whatever works for YOU. There are millions of people so heavily invested in iOS apps that it doesnt matter what the competition puts out, they are only interested in i devices. Same can be said for Android. The thing that makes the Nexus 7 or 10 difficult is that you cannot walk into a store and try them out. Not too many people are willing to put out hundreds of dollars for a product they have never touched. Maybe wait for a friend to get a Nexus and try it out.

Office Depot, Staples, Walmart and many other electronics retailers carry the Nexus 7 and have them on display for you to try out.

It is true that Best Buy does not carry them, but they are around.

tbayrgs
Nov 5, 2012, 04:25 PM

It might be different for where you are

Here in the UK the Nexus 7 is available in stores so people can try it out, don't know about the 10, but have no reason to believe it wont be the same

Not sure where michaeljohn lives but the Nexus 7 is also available in stores here in the US as well--bought mine at Staples and also see Walmart sells it. I'd guess we'll also see the Nexus 10 in stores at some point as well, if not at launch.

Rodster
Nov 5, 2012, 04:56 PM
I own two iPad's and a Nexus 7. I would get an iPad 4 before I bought a Nexus 10. And I would get an N7 before buying an N10.

wol
Nov 5, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hi,
Is the nexus 10 better than the iPad in any other way besides the screen and price tag?
thanks

Same here - still somewhat undecided between the iPad 4 and the Nexus 10 (both Wi-Fi, 32 GB). In terms of "raw" HW specs the Nexus 10 is more powerful (ARM A15 dual-core CPU vs. Apple's A6x, 2GB RAM vs. 1 GB RAM in the iPad 4), but this seems to be required to compensate for Android being less "efficient" than iOS (due to performance "issues" with the Java based OS and Apps in Android)

I tested an iPad 4 briefly today, and was quite impressed by its responsiveness, also when handling large images and PDF documents. What I didn't like was the black frame around upscaled iPhone apps, which fill the central 1920x1280 pixel of the display. Location services based on WiFi seem to be a good substitute for the lack of GPS (as long as there is some WiFi reception). Handling of the iPad 4 both in portrait and in landscape mode also felt nice, and it didn't seems to get warm or hot while in use.

What I like about the Nexus 10 is the inclusion of GPS, the better price point, the rubberized back, which promises better grip, and the mini USB port. With respect to Apps, it seems all the major ones I'm currently using on the iPhone are also available for Android (either the same or an equivalent). Wireless file transfer between devices (including my MacBook Air) promises to be easier than under iOS (more complete Bluetooth stack in Android). According to the technical specs, though, in portrait mode, the Nexus 10 screen is 1.5 cm narrower and 1.5 cm taller than the iPad screen. This might make it the less ideal device for web browsing and reading (in particular when dealing with PDF files).

marc11
Nov 5, 2012, 06:05 PM
I haven't tried the N10 yet obviously, but own an iPad 3 and an N7. I would say the N7 is as good as the iPad 3 in every way and better in some areas. Specifically, I love NFC and its file transfer capabilities, notification center, Google Now, the flexibility of the OS UI, true GPS with free offline map downloading and OTG USB which I use for media storage via micro SD and Ethernet. YES ETHERNET. Sometimes I go places where there is only wired internet (getting less common but still around) it is just awesome to pop in a micro usb Ethernet dongle and have access. You can also use OTG for USB game controllers, like xbox controllers, keyboards and mice if you prefer not to use BT. That level of flexibility is HUGE IMHO.

In that regard I would say the N10 should be as good as the iPad 4 in terms of screen and power, so then it really comes down to which OS you prefer. Both have strong and weak points.

The N10 should be in stores to demo, I was able to demo the N7 before buying and within 5 minutes I knew it was the right device...I still waited for the iPad mini to be announced, once it was, I went right to the store and picked up the N7.

Technarchy
Nov 5, 2012, 07:01 PM
The better performing product costs more. Apple puts more into their products than the opposing point of view acknowledges.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6426/51304.png

ReanimationN
Nov 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
Wait for a good Windows 8 Pro tablet- split screen tablet apps, plus the ability to run any Windows desktop programs you want.

If you want one of those two, get the iPad. It's going to perform much more smoothly than the Nexus, plus there are far more apps optimised for the iPad. You're going to get a stack of apps on the Nexus that aren't optimised for that screen size or that resolution- text will probably be ok, but graphics and images aren't going to fare as well.

blackhand1001
Nov 5, 2012, 07:40 PM
The better performing product costs more. Apple puts more into their products than the opposing point of view acknowledges.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6426/51304.png)

Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison. Its well documented that the prerelease builds that were handed out to reviewers of 4.2 had some major performance issues that will be fixed in the final build. The proof of this is apparant in this benchmark where the adreno 225 beats the adreno 320. The adreno 320 is several magnitudes faster than the 225. http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6426/51313.png

Also notice how the optimus g with an identical soc does so much better than the nexus 4 with the same exact hardware. Wait for some proper builds of android 4.2 to be released. The benchmarks of the nexus 4 and nexus 10 are completely invalid.

Not to mention we know for a fact already that the cpu's in both the nexus 4 and nexus 10 wipe the floor with both the a6 and a6x.

DeathChill
Nov 5, 2012, 08:13 PM
Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison.

Not to mention we know for a fact already that the cpu's in both the nexus 4 and nexus 10 wipe the floor with both the a6 and a6x.

Uh, hand-picking? Every benchmark, save for one, goes to the 554MP4. What world are you living in?

As well, I haven't seen the benchmarks that support your statement for the CPU's in the Nexus 4 and 10. I've seen ones where it goes back and forth, but they're all strictly web-based ones.

zhenya
Nov 5, 2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison. Its well documented that the prerelease builds that were handed out to reviewers of 4.2 had some major performance issues that will be fixed in the final build. The proof of this is apparant in this benchmark where the adreno 225 beats the adreno 320. The adreno 320 is several magnitudes faster than the 225. Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6426/51313.png)

Also notice how the optimus g with an identical soc does so much better than the nexus 4 with the same exact hardware. Wait for some proper builds of android 4.2 to be released. The benchmarks of the nexus 4 and nexus 10 are completely invalid.

I would be very surprised if that fact were true that it would go unmentioned in Anandtech's review. They don't miss details like that. I suspect what we are seeing is the Nexus' chip struggling to push that many pixels and possibly some power-saving routines.

MythicFrost
Nov 5, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Also, how does the nexus 10 compare to its sister tablet the nexus 7?

thanks
The Nexus 10 has a more powerful processor, but the iPad 4 has more powerful graphics, as well as a brighter display and from what I can tell so far, better battery life.

blackhand1001
Nov 5, 2012, 08:54 PM
I would be very surprised if that fact were true that it would go unmentioned in Anandtech's review. They don't miss details like that. I suspect what we are seeing is the Nexus' chip struggling to push that many pixels and possibly some power-saving routines.

No its absolutely true. Just about every benchmark they ran came out dramatically low on both the nexus 4 and nexus 10. The proof is right in the fact that the nexus 4 scored about half as well as the identical optimus g in all the benchmarks.

Technarchy
Nov 5, 2012, 09:05 PM
For the full Nexus 4 and 10 performance review you can read all about it here.

From my perspective the performance matches the price.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

zhenya
Nov 5, 2012, 09:06 PM
No its absolutely true. Just about every benchmark they ran came out dramatically low on both the nexus 4 and nexus 10. The proof is right in the fact that the nexus 4 scored about half as well as the identical optimus g in all the benchmarks.

Nevermind, I thought you said Nexus 10.

Get back to me when Anandtech verifies it.

Vegastouch
Nov 5, 2012, 09:19 PM
What is a iPad 4? You talking about the iPad Mini?

----------

For the full Nexus 4 and 10 performance review you can read all about it here.

From my perspective the performance matches the price.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

I couldnt care less about benchmarks and there are many other reviews that test better than this one....and i dont mean bench marks. Just performance that they experienced.

Benchmarks are for geeks who care about numbers. I only care that everything loads fast and it zips around when im doing other things. Just dont care if another device is a millisecond or half second faster or slower.

I dont even know what most of those charts mean.

Jhowland
Nov 6, 2012, 04:40 AM
What is a iPad 4?

At the iPad mini event apple announced a full size iPad with a lighting connector, A6X chip and maybe some other stuff. It ... annoyed ... a lot of people.

gdourado
Nov 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
I read somewhere that android handles resolution in a whole different way from the ipad and that all apps for Android will scale and display correctly on the 299 ppi screen of the nexus 10.
Is that true?
What are the differences in handling resolution between the ipad and nexus?
The ipad had that problem when the retina launched that apps had to be rewritten for retina.

Cheers

teknikal90
Nov 21, 2012, 12:50 PM
Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison. Its well documented that the prerelease builds that were handed out to reviewers of 4.2 had some major performance issues that will be fixed in the final build. The proof of this is apparant in this benchmark where the adreno 225 beats the adreno 320. The adreno 320 is several magnitudes faster than the 225. Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6426/51313.png)

Source that the CPUs in the Nexus devices beat the A6?
And absolutely no benchmark out there shows the 604t beats the SGX 554mp4
Everything points to Google overestimating their ability to power that 300ppi screen. Much like Apple did with the iPad 3, albeit to a smaller extent.
show me

blackhand1001
Nov 21, 2012, 04:16 PM

Umm, staples and several other stores have demo units out that you can play with.

ChrisTX
Nov 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
The iPad is still the king of the tablet world. The apps make the difference for me. I don't want to spend $3-400 on a tablet just to browse the web.

aerok
Nov 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
The iPad is still the king of the tablet world. The apps make the difference for me. I don't want to spend $3-400 on a tablet just to browse the web.

You can make it sound as if the Nexus 7/10 does not have apps at all.

You can downlaod many of the most popular apps that are on the iPad:

Netflix, Angry Birds, Zinio, Kindle, etc

cynics
Nov 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
I ordered my N10 32gb yesterday. I'm a heavy tablet user.

I bought a Xoom in Mar/Apr 2011, had buyers remorse from all the iPad hype so I bought an iPad 2 when that came out. Quickly went back to the Xoom, and let the gf use the iPad 2. Then I sold the iPad 2 and bought an iPad 3. Another mistake, this time I gave the iPad 3 to my gf to keep.

I've been using my Xoom (on it right now) for a year and a half and I really enjoy it. I've just been waiting for something I actually consider better to come along. Basically the N10 is a modernized Xoom, they've seemed to address the issue I had with my Xoom. Things like the stereo speakers being on the front and not the back. The micro USB/slim port and micro HDMI ports are on the sides in landscape mode not the bottom. Better front facing camera and a brighter flash on the rear facing camera. NFC front and rear to sync when another NFC device is laid on it. Plus Android 4.2 on a nexus wifi device, my Xoom is an LTE model thru Verizon who yet to push the Xoom's 4.1 update through.

I think the iPad is a great device but I like to use a tablet a bit more like a laptop then an iPad can handle.

----------

Instead you use apps like Facebook, twitter, etc etc and browse the web in a more restricted format....

ChrisTX
Nov 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
You can make it sound as if the Nexus 7/10 does not have apps at all.

You can downlaod many of the most popular apps that are on the iPad:

Netflix, Angry Birds, Zinio, Kindle, etc
There are apps, but the number is very limited compared to the level of quality, and quantity for the iPad.

Instead you use apps like Facebook, twitter, etc etc and browse the web in a more restricted format....
Facebook iPad app is horrible, I still use Safari for that.

As for browsing the web in a restricted format, hasn't flash been disabled for Android all together now? My Galaxy SIII doesn't have it, so I'd assume their tablets don't either. Either way, there just aren't enough tablet optimized apps for Android to get me away from the iPad just yet.

ReanimationN
Nov 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
There are going to be next to no apps optimised for the N10's resolution. The Android tablet app situation is bad enough as it is, now the N10 is going to suffer from both that and from having blurry assets everywhere (until more developers get on board with it).

jsw
Nov 21, 2012, 07:17 PM
As for browsing the web in a restricted format, hasn't flash been disabled for Android all together now?
Officially, yes, but my Nexus 7 can run it via a Firefox plugin.

Everyone wants it to die, but some websites still require it, which is truly unfortunate. However, at least I can run it, even if I don't want to run it.

kiltedthrower
Nov 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/08/nexus-10-review-good-because-pixels-and-other-reasons/

Here's a hands on review from over at Androidpolice.com

jsw
Nov 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
You've clearly spent little to no time on Android 4.x tablets. There are plenty of apps which are either tablet-centric or which look good on tablets.

As many as for iPads? No. But it's far from some wasteland, either.

For $400-$500, I'd still likely get an iPad, as I'm unsure of the value of the N10 (I say this as an N4 and N7 owner), with one major exception: media. Movies will sound far better on the N10 than the iPad (any generation).

jsw
Nov 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/08/nexus-10-review-good-because-pixels-and-other-reasons/

Here's a hands on review from over at Androidpolice.com
Ah, damn it. Now I want one. With the 4 and the 7, it only seems right to have the 10....

Rodster
Nov 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
Awesome review and my biggest concern was confirmed..."It's too BIG". I still have the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and that thing is HUGE.

Come on Google gives us a Nexus 8.9" tablet. That to me is the perfect size. :)

blackhand1001
Nov 21, 2012, 08:29 PM
There are going to be next to no apps optimised for the N10's resolution. The Android tablet app situation is bad enough as it is, now the N10 is going to suffer from both that and from having blurry assets everywhere (until more developers get on board with it).

You clearly don't understand android development. The nexus 10 is XHDPI which means it uses XHDPI assets. The galaxy nexus, galaxy s3, one x, rezound, and many other phones already use XHDPI assets so most apps already have them. Android also uses xml layouts and is independent of resolution.

ReanimationN
Nov 21, 2012, 08:57 PM
You clearly don't understand android development. The nexus 10 is XHDPI which means it uses XHDPI assets. The galaxy nexus, galaxy s3, one x, rezound, and many other phones already use XHDPI assets so most apps already have them. Android also uses xml layouts and is independent of resolution.

I own and have used a Nexus 7- a lot of apps that I've used on it feature blurry assets that are clearly meant for phones and don't translate well to a larger screen. You're saying that the N10 won't suffer from the same problem? I doubt that.

blackhand1001
Nov 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
I own and have used a Nexus 7- a lot of apps that I've used on it feature blurry assets that are clearly meant for phones and don't translate well to a larger screen. You're saying that the N10 won't suffer from the same problem? I doubt that.

What apps?

cynics
Nov 21, 2012, 09:18 PM

Which apps look blurry or have blurry assets?

cynics
Nov 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
There are apps, but the number is very limited compared to the level of quality, and quantity for the iPad.

Facebook iPad app is horrible, I still use Safari for that.

As for browsing the web in a restricted format, hasn't flash been disabled for Android all together now? My Galaxy SIII doesn't have it, so I'd assume their tablets don't either. Either way, there just aren't enough tablet optimized apps for Android to get me away from the iPad just yet.

I meant using web based apps instead of the browser. Btw you can side load flash if you really want too. I am trying to avoid it, sometimes its tough...

marc11
Nov 21, 2012, 11:26 PM

Which apps please. I use about 15 or so and they are as good on my nexus as on my wife's iPad.

ReanimationN
Nov 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
What apps?

Which apps look blurry or have blurry assets?

Which apps please. I use about 15 or so and they are as good on my nexus as on my wife's iPad.
Here you go.

The first is Plants vs Zombies.

Second is the TAB Australia app, there's some blurry/stretched assets throughout, the Runners/Pools buttons are just one example.

Third is the Billabong Live app. The magnification buttons are blurry (the nice couldn't-be-more-obvious-that-this-is-a-crap-iphone-port 'back' button isn't exactly sharp either), as are the background textures used in other screens of the app.

Fourth is one of my homepages, I picked this one as it has a real mix of sharp and blurry icons (and none of my email widgets). Compare how sharp Horn, TDKR and Swiftkey are to Vevo, Firefox, Plants vs Zombies, the useless League Now, Dominos (I got this for a pizza deal they were doing for Android devices and it didn't work properly :mad:) etc.

Fifth is the Commonwealth Bank's app. There's some pretty obvious stretched and blurry assets there.

I can only attach five at a time, so that will do for now.

Arstechnica also noted that "icons and images that haven't been optimized for high-resolution displays are still going to look a bit blurry" and gave this as an example:

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/icon-blurriness.png

Btw, I know the iPhone and iPad still suffer from this in a few places too, but does that bode well for the multitude of Android resolutions out there? If iOS developers, who only have to do a tiny handful of resolutions, still can't get it 100% right, I wouldn't exactly be feeling confident about Android getting close.

cynics
Nov 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
Here you go.

The first is Plants vs Zombies.

Second is the TAB Australia app, there's some blurry/stretched assets throughout, the Runners/Pools buttons are just one example.

Third is the Billabong Live app. The magnification buttons are blurry (the nice couldn't-be-more-obvious-that-this-is-a-crap-iphone-port 'back' button isn't exactly sharp either), as are the background textures used in other screens of the app.

Fourth is one of my homepages, I picked this one as it has a real mix of sharp and blurry icons (and none of my email widgets). Compare how sharp Horn, TDKR and Swiftkey are to Vevo, Firefox, Plants vs Zombies, the useless League Now, Dominos (I got this for a pizza deal they were doing for Android devices and it didn't work properly :mad:) etc.

Fifth is the Commonwealth Bank's app. There's some pretty obvious stretched and blurry assets there.

I can only attach five at a time, so that will do for now.

Arstechnica also noted that "icons and images that haven't been optimized for high-resolution displays are still going to look a bit blurry" and gave this as an example:

Image (http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/icon-blurriness.png)

Btw, I know the iPhone and iPad still suffer from this in a few places too, but does that bode well for the multitude of Android resolutions out there? If iOS developers, who only have to do a tiny handful of resolutions, still can't get it 100% right, I wouldn't exactly be feeling confident about Android getting close.

I'm not seeing the blurring in any of your pics. Maybe I'm fortunate and I'm immune to see it. Matter of fact plant vs zombie looks pretty sharp. I'd like to see a side by side with the mini I guess.

ReanimationN
Nov 22, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm not seeing the blurring in any of your pics. Maybe I'm fortunate and I'm immune to see it. Matter of fact plant vs zombie looks pretty sharp. I'd like to see a side by side with the mini I guess.

Really? :confused:

I don't have an iPad, so here's the iPhone version to compare to (keep in mind the relative screen size each version is for). Look at the text on the Help & Options vases, the Nexus 7 version looks like it's been smeared with vasoline.

cynics
Nov 22, 2012, 08:47 AM
Really? :confused:

I don't have an iPad, so here's the iPhone version to compare to (keep in mind the relative screen size each version is for). Look at the text on the Help & Options vases, the Nexus 7 version looks like it's been smeared with vasoline.

Maybe the problem is I'm looking at it on my iPhone and they both look sharp. But if I were to just compare that everything looks "sharper" on a small screen. Movies look sharper on my iPhone then they do on my HDTV, so do pictures. Plants vs zombies looks better on my iPhone then it does on my gf's iPad 3.

EDIT: After looking at it on my tablet I can see the blur around the letters. I'll need to pull it up on my N10 when it arrives to compare to the ipad. You are comparing very high ppi to not as high. I think N10 to iPad 3 would be a closer comparison...

Lindenhurst
Nov 22, 2012, 07:56 PM

Actually form me a tablet is used for just that...to browse the web. I have had Ipads and a Nexus 7 and liked them both, but I felt the N7 was a bit too small to view web pages without scrolling often. I'll be trying out the N10 next. If I don't like it, I'll sell it as I have with all my gadgets I no longer use.

I do like the front speakers because I do watch Netflix often on the tablet, so I hope the N7 has great sound.

ReanimationN
Nov 22, 2012, 08:09 PM
Maybe the problem is I'm looking at it on my iPhone and they both look sharp. But if I were to just compare that everything looks "sharper" on a small screen. Movies look sharper on my iPhone then they do on my HDTV, so do pictures. Plants vs zombies looks better on my iPhone then it does on my gf's iPad 3.

EDIT: After looking at it on my tablet I can see the blur around the letters. I'll need to pull it up on my N10 when it arrives to compare to the ipad. You are comparing very high ppi to not as high. I think N10 to iPad 3 would be a closer comparison...

If you think it would be a fairer comparison, I found a shot of the non-retina iPad version's title screen. Compare it to the Nexus 7's title screen, the N7 still has the vasoline filter.

And the original iPad/iPad 2/iPad mini actually has a lower ppi than the N7, 132 (163 for the mini) vs 216 for the N7.

dalbir4444
Nov 22, 2012, 08:54 PM
If you think it would be a fairer comparison, I found a shot of the non-retina iPad version's title screen. Compare it to the Nexus 7's title screen, the N7 still has the vasoline filter.

And the original iPad/iPad 2/iPad mini actually has a lower ppi than the N7, 132 (163 for the mini) vs 216 for the N7.

That second image looks more like a stock image rather than taken from an iPad, especially with that logo on the bottom. I don't own the game but from this video, I can't really tell the difference between the iPad mini and the N7 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lX7yVlZ3U8&t=6m51s

Maybe it's just me.

ReanimationN
Nov 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
That second image looks more like a stock image rather than taken from an iPad, especially with that logo on the bottom. I don't own the game but from this video, I can't really tell the difference between the iPad mini and the N7 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lX7yVlZ3U8&t=6m51s

Maybe it's just me.

It's not a stock image, Moby Games sticks that watermark onto any image people upload to the site. It's in the 1024x768 non-retina iPad resolution too.

If you doubt me, I grabbed two screens from my brother's iPad 2. The background on the iPad version has been changed since that Moby Games screenshot, but you can still see that it's much sharper than the N7 version.

dalbir4444
Nov 23, 2012, 06:33 AM
It's not a stock image, Moby Games sticks that watermark onto any image people upload to the site. It's in the 1024x768 non-retina iPad resolution too.

If you doubt me, I grabbed two screens from my brother's iPad 2. The background on the iPad version has been changed since that Moby Games screenshot, but you can still see that it's much sharper than the N7 version.

Yeah it does look better on the iPad from those images. I was just mentioning that from the video, I can't tell the difference. Maybe I just need to see them up close.

Edit: Is the one on the right the N7?

ReanimationN
Nov 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah it does look better on the iPad from those images. I was just mentioning that from the video, I can't tell the difference. Maybe I just need to see them up close.

Edit: Is the one on the right the N7?

From that post you just quoted? Nah, they're both from the iPad 2. All the N7 screenshots have the navigation bar on the bottom of them.

Yeah, it's more pronounced with the device in hand. I thought I'd done something wrong and bought the phone version of the app instead of the tablet version, but there's only one for both. It's very playable, it's just blurrier than the iOS versions.

teknikal90
Nov 23, 2012, 03:51 PM
bottom line: iOS wins

cynics
Nov 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Bottom line : you are correct as far as Plants vs Zombies go. Its not supported for 10.1" tablet use on Android. And that includes the N10. I could pull the apk file off the web and install it but its a paid app and I don't want to pirate it.

Little skin off my teeth because I don't play those kind of games. But if that kind of stuff is important too you then you will prefer iOS. Everything I had on my previous tablet is working great. Games from Nintendo 64 and PlayStation are as smooth as butter. On my Xoom even GoldenEye on N64 could get a little bit stuttery, with the N10 even Gran Turismo with the track full of cars is as smooth as silk.

If you guys have something you want me to check out to compare let me know.

kiltedthrower
Nov 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
Maybe I'm just not picky but I didn't see a problem with any of the screen shots. Yes, one looks a bit better compared to the other but I wouldn't consider the N7 or wherever the pic is coming from bad looking.

kiltedthrower
Nov 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
bottom line: iOS wins

Congrats to iOS! What did they win?

DeathChill
Nov 23, 2012, 08:43 PM
Congrats to iOS! What did they win?
This fancy hat!

Okay, there's no hat.

AutoUnion39
Nov 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
I think my biggest issue with Android, especially tablets, is so poor app quality is. I can't begin to count how many of my friends picked up a cheap Android tablet and trash the iPad because it costs so much more. The apps are complete junk, no where near as good as iPad apps.

And another issue that can be brought up is that tablets are mostly media consuming devices, but Android, itself, is poor at media consumption. The built-in audio/video player is terrible and there is native software to manage music from your computer, like iTunes. Not to mention, syncing between OS X and Android is horrible. Android File Transfer NEVER works with my S3.

iPad excels in media consumption with iTunes, etc and if you download DIVX/MKV files off the internet, there are tons of apps in the app store that can play them. iOS has class-leading media management and works seamlessly with iTunes. Show me any Android tablet that can do that.

The Nexus 10 seems like a pretty good device, but I won't buy an Android tablet any time soon. The Nexus 7 is pretty much a pile of crap. Most Nexus 7 owners also have a 4+ inch Android phones. The "jump" between them isn't too much. There isn't a huge difference in web browsing, etc. But the jump from ~4inch to 10 inch is significant for both media and internet.

Sensamic
Nov 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
I think my biggest issue with Android, especially tablets, is so poor app quality is. I can't begin to count how many of my friends picked up a cheap Android tablet and trash the iPad because it costs so much more. The apps are complete junk, no where near as good as iPad apps.

And another issue that can be brought up is that tablets are mostly media consuming devices, but Android, itself, is poor at media consumption. The built-in audio/video player is terrible and there is native software to manage music from your computer, like iTunes. Not to mention, syncing between OS X and Android is horrible. Android File Transfer NEVER works with my S3.

iPad excels in media consumption with iTunes, etc and if you download DIVX/MKV files off the internet, there are tons of apps in the app store that can play them. iOS has class-leading media management and works seamlessly with iTunes. Show me any Android tablet that can do that.

The Nexus 10 seems like a pretty good device, but I won't buy an Android tablet any time soon. The Nexus 7 is pretty much a pile of crap. Most Nexus 7 owners also have a 4+ inch Android phones. The "jump" between them isn't too much. There isn't a huge difference in web browsing, etc. But the jump from ~4inch to 10 inch is significant for both media and internet.

Hahahahaha

Thanks for the laughs man... oh wait... you were serious?? :eek::eek:

I'm not gonna even bother proving all you have said is completely wrong...

AutoUnion39
Nov 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hahahahaha

Thanks for the laughs man... oh wait... you were serious?? :eek::eek:

I'm not gonna even bother proving all you have said is completely wrong...

Yup, I'm blowing a bunch of smoke right?

I actually own most of these devices, so I don't talk out of my ass, like Apple fanboys here

nickchallis92
Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 PM

It's interesting that you see iTunes as a positive towards the ipad series. I'd hate to have a tablet (which is supposed to be a "post-pc" device) which requires iTunes to live. It underminds it's authority as a device in its own right.

Vegastouch
Nov 24, 2012, 07:41 PM

Wow, what are you talking about? Ever heard of Google Music?

There is not much difference between a 4" phone and a 7" tablet? :eek: Really? Then why all the whining here by iFans about phones getting too big, 4" is perfect, phablet this, too big that.......

Oh wait i know, because they dont agree.

AutoUnion39
Nov 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
It's interesting that you see iTunes as a positive towards the ipad series. I'd hate to have a tablet (which is supposed to be a "post-pc" device) which requires iTunes to live. It underminds it's authority as a device in its own right.

iTunes isn't need for the iPad to live... It's there if you want it.

Wow, what are you talking about? Ever heard of Google Music?

You must mean the terrible music service that barely works and takes days for part (20,000 max right?) of your music collection to upload into the cloud.

There is not much difference between a 4" phone and a 7" tablet? :eek: Really? Then why all the whining here by iFans about phones getting too big, 4" is perfect, phablet this, too big that.......

iFans are idiots. 4 inches is too small these days, for a phone. They're too hung up on their beloved old iPhones.

My Galaxy S3 is approaching 5 inches (4.8). The Galaxy Note 2, I ordered (and then returned, but that's a diff't issue), is 5.5. The jump from 4.8/5.5 to 7inches isn't big enough to justify a Nexus 7. It barely makes a difference for internet surfing or media consumption. 9.7+ inch tablets are better, such as the non-mini iPad. (But of course, that's my opinion. The idiots who are too hung up on having a cheap $199 tablet will disagree with me)

Random 995K
Nov 24, 2012, 08:27 PM
iPad is superior in every way. Battery life, power, apps, screen quality (contrast, saturation etc), build quality, customer service, stability, gaming and the cloud.

Vegastouch
Nov 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
iTunes isn't need for the iPad to live... It's there if you want it.

You must mean the terrible music service that barely works and takes days for part (20,000 max right?) of your music collection to upload into the cloud.

Not sure about the cloud but ill never fill up 20,000 songs on it and it works good for me. Only thing i dont like is the free music it gives me. Most of it i dont like...thus why ill never fill up 20,000 songs. Im picky what i want on there. Not to mention, that is A LOT of music that ill never get thru.

In anycase, i prefer a MicroSD card in my phone.

My Galaxy S3 is approaching 5 inches (4.8). The Galaxy Note 2, I ordered (and then returned, but that's a diff't issue), is 5.5. The jump from 4.8/5.5 to 7inches isn't big enough to justify a Nexus 7. It barely makes a difference for internet surfing or media consumption. 9.7+ inch tablets are better, such as the non-mini iPad. (But of course, that's my opinion. The idiots who are too hung up on having a cheap $199 tablet will disagree with me)

The Note 2 is much bigger than the GS3 imo and it is very noticable. The Note for me is too big. So yes i think a 7" tablet is even bigger but at least i wont be carrying that around as a phone in my pocket.
Price has nothing to do with it. Whether i have a iPad Mini or a Nexus 7, they are both much bigger than the GS3 and the Note2.
Only difference in the mini and the N7 is a back camera. Oh and about $130.

Sensamic
Nov 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
Yup, I'm blowing a bunch of smoke right?

I actually own most of these devices, so I don't talk out of my ass, like Apple fanboys here

Please... Please...

How in the world is the iPad a better media device when it has problems to play any other format apart from .mp4? Today I tried an .avi and it would only play correctly on some apps, which brings me to my next point:

To play the same video file in three different apps you need to copy the video three times using the "open in" option, which, if I'm not mistaken, what it does is copy the video file to the new app directory. And you have to do this over and over and over again with any new app!!

On Android I click the video file and select which app I want to use, or simply open any video app and the file is already there because all apps can search automatically for video files in the file explorer and find them.

How is the iPad a better media device when you can't play HD videos on any YouTube app? Tried today on iPad 3, choose 720P on McTube or something like that and it didn't play in HD.

How is the iPad a better media device when you can only use Apple's music app to listen to your music? On Android I can choose lots of apps and they all show my music library just like iTunes would, with my artists, albums, songs, etc. All automatically.

How is the iPad a better media device when you can't send a video file or song to another iOS device or even another device with a different OS? All your media is locked in your device. I can send a video or song to another device via Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi, DLNA, USB, etc.

I can even download subtitles from the web and put them on a video in less than a minute. Try doing so on the iPad and tell me how it goes............ "open in", "open in"... A OS that treats people like idiots, like we didn't know in 2012 how to use a computer...

Oh... and what if your away from your home computer and don't have access to your iTunes library? What if you are in a friend's house and have to sync with another empty library because he doesn't use iTunes?

And then nexus 10, as many other Android tablets, has micro HDMI, so I can play a movie, game or whatever on a friend's house, because everyone has a TV with HDMI, but not everyone has an Apple TV. Maybe if you buy that expensive Apple adapter that costs like 5 times what a HDMI cable costs...

Yeah... iPad is better at media consumption.......... in what world do you people live in? Ahh yes... in Apple's fairy land, where they brainwash everyone...

All you people saying iPad is better at media consumption need to stop being delusional! Please...

Technarchy
Nov 25, 2012, 03:50 AM
iPad is superior in every way. Battery life, power, apps, screen quality (contrast, saturation etc), build quality, customer service, stability, gaming and the cloud.

I can live with this answer.

zhenya
Nov 25, 2012, 04:35 AM
Please... Please...

How in the world is the iPad a better media device when it has problems to play any other format apart from .mp4? Today I tried an .avi and it would only play correctly on some apps, which brings me to my next point:

To play the same video file in three different apps you need to copy the video three times using the "open in" option, which, if I'm not mistaken, what it does is copy the video file to the new app directory. And you have to do this over and over and over again with any new app!!

On Android I click the video file and select which app I want to use, or simply open any video app and the file is already there because all apps can search automatically for video files in the file explorer and find them.

How is the iPad a better media device when you can't play HD videos on any YouTube app? Tried today on iPad 3, choose 720P on McTube or something like that and it didn't play in HD.

How is the iPad a better media device when you can only use Apple's music app to listen to your music? On Android I can choose lots of apps and they all show my music library just like iTunes would, with my artists, albums, songs, etc. All automatically.

How is the iPad a better media device when you can't send a video file or song to another iOS device or even another device with a different OS? All your media is locked in your device. I can send a video or song to another device via Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi, DLNA, USB, etc.

I can even download subtitles from the web and put them on a video in less than a minute. Try doing so on the iPad and tell me how it goes............ "open in", "open in"... A OS that treats people like idiots, like we didn't know in 2012 how to use a computer...

Oh... and what if your away from your home computer and don't have access to your iTunes library? What if you are in a friend's house and have to sync with another empty library because he doesn't use iTunes?

And then nexus 10, as many other Android tablets, has micro HDMI, so I can play a movie, game or whatever on a friend's house, because everyone has a TV with HDMI, but not everyone has an Apple TV. Maybe if you buy that expensive Apple adapter that costs like 5 times what a HDMI cable costs...

Yeah... iPad is better at media consumption.......... in what world do you people live in? Ahh yes... in Apple's fairy land, where they brainwash everyone...

All you people saying iPad is better at media consumption need to stop being delusional! Please...

At least AutoUnion39 was speaking from the position of actually having experience with the products he was criticizing, rather than this fandroid dribble.

iOS hasn't had serious issue playing alternative file types for years. There are tons of video player apps available that play nearly every format imaginable, and can pick up those files from almost any location, including streaming over the network from a file share, etc. The fact that there is no direct file system access is known; you only make yourself look foolish by pointing that out as there are plenty of ways around that. In practice, it's of little consequence.

Again, for music, there are all sorts of apps available. It's probably less common to choose an alternative app on iOS because, you know, every iOS device is ALSO an iPod, you know, the device that overwhelmingly owns the music player category. When you already have the best audio player ever made integrated into your device most people aren't going to spend much time looking for an alternative except to meet a particular need, or to be contrary like yourself. You might ask yourself why it is that I see so many people with Android phones pull out an iPod to listen to their music on...

I have never personally had a large desire to send media from one device direct to another, but I expect that again, there are ways that aren't all that difficult. This largely sounds like another 'spec-sheet' argument to me. Sure, those Samsung commercials make it look like you just need to tap phones to share media, but knowing what I know about wireless bandwidth, I'm not dumb enough to believe transferring anything is instant. Not to mention that I don't know that I've ever seen two people with modern Samsung Android phones together in the real world, let alone two who would want to share media.

Again, those video players that can play any format can also download subtitles, same as you.

Syncing with alternative iTunes libraries to move media to apps has not been a problem for a couple of years now, not to mention all the other ways to get media on to these devices. Try again.

Great, a Nexus 10 has hdmi. Except on many tv's it doesn't pass sound, and on all tv's it leaves black borders around the vast majority of content.

You'd be a lot better served here on these forums to stick to talking about things that you know about. You are making the very simplistic mistake that your very elementary knowledge of a platform like Android makes you some kind of genius. It doesn't. In technology, the hard part isn't making a product do some particular operation or task that fills out a spec sheet, it's making the complex simple; THAT'S what takes real effort.

cynics
Nov 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
I still prefer my N10 to my iPad 3, hell I preferred my Xoom to my (now gf's) iPad 3. It just does what I need it to do better for me.

USB hosting is probably my main thing. If the iPad ever gave me that then it would really narrow the gap. I use a tablet as a media center/player to my HDTV. So I need to plug in peripherals. I need it to show a mouse pointer on the screen. I could always use airplay but then I need to be holding a delicate tablet vs a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse I can throw around, toss to friends, etc

File system is very important too. And a device that knows what to do with files. Plenty of times I've had a bunch of random files I needed to send for work. It's very simple to zip them and send the zip via email on android.

As much as I like to debate iOS vs Android I'm really not to serious. Whatever works best for the end user is the best, currently for me that's Android. There might be a day that changes however I think if I do change my opinion it will be for a windows tab. Not yet though.

Rodster
Nov 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
Whatever works best for the end user is the best, currently for me that's Android. There might be a day that changes however I think if I do change my opinion it will be for a windows tab. Not yet though.

And that's the bottom line isn't it? What works best for you is all that matters. I laughed when I read the N7 was a pile of junk. That's the persons opinion, nothing more. I own both iOS and Android tablets and I think both platforms are awesome.

I own and love the N7, and seriously considering the N10.

Vegastouch
Nov 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
At least AutoUnion39 was speaking from the position of actually having experience with the products he was criticizing, rather than this fandroid dribble.

iOS hasn't had serious issue playing alternative file types for years. There are tons of video player apps available that play nearly every format imaginable, and can pick up those files from almost any location, including streaming over the network from a file share, etc. The fact that there is no direct file system access is known; you only make yourself look foolish by pointing that out as there are plenty of ways around that. In practice, it's of little consequence.

Again, for music, there are all sorts of apps available. It's probably less common to choose an alternative app on iOS because, you know, every iOS device is ALSO an iPod, you know, the device that overwhelmingly owns the music player category. When you already have the best audio player ever made integrated into your device most people aren't going to spend much time looking for an alternative except to meet a particular need, or to be contrary like yourself. You might ask yourself why it is that I see so many people with Android phones pull out an iPod to listen to their music on...

Well that certainly is just your opinion. It isnt the best in mine. There are other music players in Android that are better but thats me. In the end it doesnt really matter.

I have never personally had a large desire to send media from one device direct to another, but I expect that again, there are ways that aren't all that difficult. This largely sounds like another 'spec-sheet' argument to me. Sure, those Samsung commercials make it look like you just need to tap phones to share media, but knowing what I know about wireless bandwidth, I'm not dumb enough to believe transferring anything is instant.

So you dont know is what your saying. So who is talking about things that dont really know about? And just because you dont do it, doesnt mean others dont. I have and doing it with NFC is fast and easy. No it isnt instant but pretty close. Longest it took me to transfer anyting was 20 seconds for a 12 minute video. Thats pretty fast.
So just like the commercials, once you touch them together, it makes that beep and starts tranfering so yes, that is how it works. Photos are pretty much instant. Music takes a few seconds depending on how big a playlist is or if it is a single song. Again, the 12 minute video took a whole 20 seconds.

Again, you also should be better served to know what your taking about.

Not to mention that I don't know that I've ever seen two people with modern Samsung Android phones together in the real world, let alone two who would want to share media.

:rolleyes: Dumb statement. You havent seen it, so it doesnt happen, ever. Gotcha!

You'd be a lot better served here on these forums to stick to talking about things that you know about. You are making the very simplistic mistake that your very elementary knowledge of a platform like Android makes you some kind of genius. It doesn't. In technology, the hard part isn't making a product do some particular operation or task that fills out a spec sheet, it's making the complex simple; THAT'S what takes real effort.
Yep, practice what you preach.

Rodster
Nov 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
Well that certainly is just your opinion. It isnt the best in mine. There are other music players in Android that are better but thats me. In the end it doesnt really matter.

For music quality alone the iPod devices are average at best. Now if you want to add all the features like playing games etc, then they're not bad. I would never buy any iPod devices because it's all about music for me and the iPod's don't deliver.

Sensamic
Nov 25, 2012, 12:51 PM

I've had an iPhone and iPad for over two years and an iPod touch for three... I guess I don't know the platform at all... haven't you seen my signature where all my devices are listed including an iMac and Mac mini?

Having all those Apple devices I must be crazy to criticise Apple... well, only iOS... since it has become a toy OS.

I know my experience, which is that video playback is not great on iOS devices. Just yesterday I downloaded a TV episode in .avi using the Downloads app, which works also as a media player, and it played the file horribly, with lag. I had to use “open in“ to transfer the file to Oplayer, which played the file better, although not perfectly still.

Is this what you call acceptable? Having to use an app to download a video, which cannot be done in the background, and then waiting two minutes for the file to copy to another app so in the end you have the same file twice and you have to go back to the other app to delete the file and.............

I can do all this in less steps in my Android phone, thanks to the fact that I can download anything from the web, leave it downloading in the background and then finding the file with a file browser and using a better video player app.

At least I've tried both iOS and Android and I know which is better at what, and clearly iOS will never be better at media.

Oh... and I'm not a fanboy, fandroid or whatever. I'm simply a tech fan. I don't care about wars between OS or companies... please...

blackhand1001
Nov 25, 2012, 01:10 PM

Trust me the difference between my 4.65 inch galaxy nexus and my nexus 7 is huge. You guys talk about how much bigger the ipad mini extra .85 inches is but suddenly the almost 3 inch difference between the galaxy nexus and nexus 7 is not big. And to call the nexus 7 a a piece of junk. That couldn't be further from the truth. Media management is nothing special in iOS. Android tablets sync with any program that supports mtp including windows media player (one click syncing). It also works with non mtp programs and you can also manually drag and drop files onto it. I actually like windows media player as its not a bloated program that takes forever to launch. You also can use google play music as well which works extremely well. Not to mention the cirrus chip in the ipad, iphones, and ipods is pretty mediocre. Its no where near the level quality the original galaxy s, galaxy SIII, galaxy tab's, nexus 10's, and many other android device's wolfson chipset produces. Even the galaxy nexus's TI chip is better than the cirrus chip in the iDevices. Most people on here do not like iTunes. Don't pretend do. They are just forced to use it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b6/Galaxy_Nexus_and_Nexus_7.jpg/640px-Galaxy_Nexus_and_Nexus_7.jpg

1member1
Nov 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
I didn't hold in my hand one of them but I saw many reviews and it seems the iPad wins.
The nexus is a nice device but google actually has nothing to sell in tablets in my opinion besides the nexus 7 maybe (only because it's cheap and does the job of getting content).

I wouldn't invest in Nexus 10 even if it's cheap for 10 tablet with that screen you can't compare it to iPad yet.

blackhand1001
Nov 25, 2012, 01:23 PM
I didn't hold in my hand one of them but I saw many reviews and it seems the iPad wins.
The nexus is a nice device but google actually has nothing to sell in tablets in my opinion besides the nexus 7 maybe (only because it's cheap and does the job of getting content).

I wouldn't invest in Nexus 10 even if it's cheap for 10 tablet with that screen you can't compare it to iPad yet.

The nexus 10's screen is pretty much undisputely better the retina screen in the ipad.

kiltedthrower
Nov 25, 2012, 03:18 PM

How is it terrible? I'm using it now on my laptop, my daughter is using it in her room on her laptop, my son is using it in his room right now on his nexus 7, and my wife is using it right now as she's driving around with her phone hooked to the radio aux jack. Any lag that it used to have is fixed.

The initial uploading is a bit slow depending on how many songs you're uploading. When I first started using it and had to upload somewhere around 1200 songs, it took a few hours to upload them all. But after that it's quick to upload. Yesterday I added another 26 songs to my music directory on my laptop which then the music manager automatically uploaded them to Google music; it took all of around 3 minutes.

jennyferzoo
Nov 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Please excuse my noobness. I am in the market for a tablet and will use it for streaming movies through Netflix or watching movies all day (average 10 hours daily). I know the iPad has a stronger GPU with a weaker CPU/ram but the Nexus has a weaker GPU with a stronger CPU/ram. As far as what I will be using the tablet for, which would hold up better? The thing I am most afraid of is dropped frames during action scenes or after a long time of playback.

Also, what is the tradeoff between having a weaker GPU stronger CPU, weaker CPU stronger GPU

The Face
Nov 25, 2012, 05:09 PM
Please excuse my noobness. I am in the market for a tablet and will use it for streaming movies through Netflix or watching movies all day (average 10 hours daily). I know the iPad has a stronger GPU with a weaker CPU/ram but the Nexus has a weaker GPU with a stronger CPU/ram. As far as what I will be using the tablet for, which would hold up better? The thing I am most afraid of is dropped frames during action scenes or after a long time of playback.

Also, what is the tradeoff between having a weaker GPU stronger CPU, weaker CPU stronger GPUYou'd be better suited with the iPad 4, but both devices are pretty much as powerful as each other.

Neither devices will drop frames during movies, you don't have to worry about that. There's not even a game currently released that will make the iPad 4 lag or drop frames, nevermind movies.

Now the "weaker GPU, stronger CPU" and vice versa argument isn't completely fact, both devices are Duel-core A15 based processor and both extremely powerful. The iPad 4 doesn't have a weaker CPU than the Nexus 10, whilst the A6x chip is clocked slightly less than the Exynos 5, the A6x is extremely well optimised and is lightening fast. It's raw performance is on par with the Exynos 5, some benchmarks even beat it.

The iPads 4 GPU is unbeatable at the moment though, I haven't seem any Nexus 10 GPU benchmarks yet, but at the moment the iPad 4's GPU will handle anything you throw at it with ease.

But basically, for your needs I recommend the ipad 4, it won't disappoint you and you need not worry about drops in performance, ever.

jennyferzoo
Nov 25, 2012, 05:33 PM
You'd be better suited with the iPad 4, but both devices are pretty much as powerful as each other.

Neither devices will drop frames during movies, you don't have to worry about that. There's not even a game currently released that will make the iPad 4 lag or drop frames, nevermind movies.

Now the "weaker GPU, stronger CPU" and vice versa argument isn't completely fact, both devices are Duel-core A15 based processor and both extremely powerful. The iPad 4 doesn't have a weaker CPU than the Nexus 10, whilst the A6x chip is clocked slightly less than the Exynos 5, the A6x is extremely well optimised and is lightening fast. It's raw performance is on par with the Exynos 5, some benchmarks even beat it.

The iPads 4 GPU is unbeatable at the moment though, I haven't seem any Nexus 10 GPU benchmarks yet, but at the moment the iPad 4's GPU will handle anything you throw at it with ease.

But basically, for your needs I recommend the ipad 4, it won't disappoint you and you need not worry about drops in performance, ever.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. The extra GB of ram that the Nexus has makes no difference either correct? I think I will be getting the iPad retina though

dalbir4444
Nov 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
You'd be better suited with the iPad 4, but both devices are pretty much as powerful as each other.

I would recommend the iPad 4 if you were going to take advantage of the app platform. But if you are just going to use it for streaming movies, then the iPad 4 might not be worth the extra cost.

The Face
Nov 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. The extra GB of ram that the Nexus has makes no difference either correct? I think I will be getting the iPad retina thoughAbsloutely not, the reason Android needs the extra RAM is because the OS is Java based, it focuses heavily on multi tasking and results in being very memory hungry and being less efficient.

iOS has been designed to work seemingly with the iPads hardware which results in incredible RAM management and performance, there will never be a moment when you'll experience a slow down due to too much RAM being used, it's all very controlled and extremely efficient.

Sensamic
Nov 25, 2012, 06:00 PM

The ipad 4 is not A15. Only the Nexus 10 has a A15 processor. A6X is A9 I think.

The Face
Nov 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
The ipad 4 is not A15. Only the Nexus 10 has a A15 processor. A6X is A9 I think.A6x uses instructions from A15 or something along those lines, that's why I said it based on A15, but it's defiantly not 100% A9.

Vegastouch
Nov 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
Absloutely not, the reason Android needs the extra RAM is because the OS is Java based, it focuses heavily on multi tasking and results in being very memory hungry and being less efficient.

Not really true. The GS3 in the UK doesnt have 2GB of RAM. The GS4 and its supposedly 8 cores is going to have 3GB of RAM. The N4 and its quad core has 2GB of RAM.

The Nexus tablets run very well. Either one will work well its just a matter if he wants to spend more money on a iPad.

Akash.B
Nov 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Well, the iPad might have battery life in it's favor, while the Nexus 10 will have better speakers for listening to movies (if headphones are not used)

The Face
Nov 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
Not really true. The GS3 in the UK doesnt have 2GB of RAM. The GS4 and its supposedly 8 cores is going to have 3GB of RAM. The N4 and its quad core has 2GB of RAM.

The Nexus tablets run very well. Either one will work well its just a matter if he wants to spend more money on a iPad.The UK 4G LTE Galaxy S3 has 2gb or RAM, I'm not sure what you mean by the rest though. Also the S4 having 3GB is just rumours and speculation, 3GB is completely unnecessary though, I've never even come close to using all of the 2GB available on my Note 2, and I've pushed it hard.

Also there's no denying the Nexus 10 runs really well, but what I'm pointing out is more RAM doesn't = better performance. The New iPad proves this by having flawlessly smooth performance with only 1GB RAM.

Don't get me wrong I'm a complete spec whore, I love Android much more than Apple/iOS, but I can appreciate brilliant optimisation and performance when I see it, and the iPad delivers this.

Vegastouch
Nov 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
The Face;16362700The UK 4G LTE Galaxy S3 has 2gb or RAM

It has 1GB of RAM unless they updated them.They came out with 1GB of RAM and a quad core chip.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest though. Also the S4 having 3GB is just rumours and speculation, 3GB is completely unnecessary though, I've never even come close to using all of the 2GB available on my Note 2, and I've pushed it hard.
Maye it is but are you going to complai if they give it to you? Saying it isnt neccessary is just something iFans say because they dont get these things. Like 4" wasnt necessary for a screen. Now it is perfect and they cant see how they used their old phone without it.
Notifications wasnt necessary....... til they got it, now they dont know how they ever used their phone without it.

Also there's no denying the Nexus 10 runs really well, but what I'm pointing out is more RAM doesn't = better performance. The New iPad proves this by having flawlessly smooth performance with only 1GB RAM.

OK but it doesnt matter. The iPad doesnt do as much and doesnt multitask near as well so having more RAM is a good thing. Its a matter of what you want and how much money you want to spend.

Don't get me wrong I'm a complete spec whore, I love Android much more than Apple/iOS, but I can appreciate brilliant optimisation and performance when I see it, and the iPad delivers this.

And its all good. I got my Wife a Nexus 7 for Xmas so i havent used it yet and have never used a N7. My Daughter also has a iPad mini coming that her BF got her but wont be here till the 29th. Not sure which month so i can do a good comparison on both after Xmas having not ever used either one.

cynics
Nov 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
CPU in the N10 is a beast that's why it dominates the iPad 4 by such a massive margin. Opposite applies for graphics. I'm basing this off geekbench and glbenchmark scores....

The Face
Nov 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
It has 1GB of RAM unless they updated them.They came out with 1GB of RAM and a quad core chip.

Maye it is but are you going to complai if they give it to you? Saying it isnt neccessary is just something iFans say because they dont get these things. Like 4" wasnt necessary for a screen. Now it is perfect and they cant see how they used their old phone without it.
Notifications was necessary....... til they got it, now they dont know how they ever used their phone without it.

OK but it doesnt matter. The iPad doesnt do as much and doesnt multitask near as well so having more RAM is a good thing. Its a matter of what you want and how much money you want to spend.

And its all good. I got my Wife a Nexus 7 for Xmas so i havent used it yet and have never used a N7. My Daughter also has a iPad mini coming that her BF got her but wont be here till the 29th. Not sure which month so i can do a good comparison on both after Xmas having not ever used either one.You're right, it does have 1GB RAM. I could have sworn the updated 4G LTE version got the 2GB upgrade, guess I was wrong!

And no I wouldn't complain if they put 3GB ram in the S4, but I just feel they might starting to ram in more RAM, more cores etc just because they can without any real use for them.

Not going to argue with you about the Multi-tasking argument, the iPad doesn't multi-task hence it performance, whilst Android does. But the Android OS itself does need a little more optimization in RAM managment.

And if I'm honest, I wanted to buy the Nexus 10 and most certainly would have over the iPad 4 if it wasn't so hard to get a hold of a Nexus 10. Not once have I seen in in stock on the Playstore, I didn't even know it got released. I picked up the iPad 4 in the sale, but I'll be sure to have a blast at a Nexus 10 when it comes available.

DeathChill
Nov 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
CPU in the N10 is a beast that's why it dominates the iPad 4 by such a massive margin. Opposite applies for graphics. I'm basing this off geekbench and glbenchmark scores....
I don't think GeekBench scores are comparable between Android and iOS for some reason. All the actual benchmark results put them on pretty even footing.

The Face
Nov 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think GeekBench scores are comparable between Android and iOS for some reason. All the actual benchmark results put them on pretty even footing.They aren't that even to be honest, the Nexus 10 wins hands down in CPU tests, but the iPad 4's GPU out-performs the Nexus 10's by a major stretch.

ERGRE
Nov 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
Depends on what you use it. But I love my Nexus 7. It has a light weight, ultra portable, price is right, have a long battery life

jennyferzoo
Nov 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
I also forgot to mention, I will be porting out to a monitor or HDTV as well. Not sure if that makes a difference. (willing to jailbreak if I go with iPad)

cynics
Nov 26, 2012, 08:37 AM
I also forgot to mention, I will be porting out to a monitor or HDTV as well. Not sure if that makes a difference. (willing to jailbreak if I go with iPad)

To mirror?

N10 has HDMI out, the iPad you can get an adapter. With the iPad you can currently use airplay to wirelessly mirror to an Apple TV. We are waiting for the update for miracast for the N10. Personally since miracast is becoming standard you'll see a lot of neat stuff from 3rd party manufactures including it built in to HDTV's from the start.

I think Google pushed the device out in a hurry. It works great but I'm waiting for 3rd party accessories or even Google/Samsung branded stuff....there is a bit but nothing like the iPad of course which can also share a lot of stuff from previous generations. It charges a bit slow but Google has a magnetic "pogo" charger coming out soon which will supposedly charge the device very quickly.

TheHateMachine
Nov 26, 2012, 09:24 AM

Also, what is the tradeoff between having a weaker GPU stronger CPU, weaker CPU stronger GPU

Well you can either get a Movie watching device for 399 or 499. Also the Nexus 10 will output to HDMI with a 2 dollar TYPE A to TYPE D micro HDMI cable while the iPad will require a regular HDMI cable and a 40+ dollar adapter. Additionally while the iPad can output a video to 16:9, it can only mirror in 4:3. Not sure if that is important or not. If you already have an Apple TV there are also Airplay apps in the Play store.

If I were you and just looking for a movie streaming device I would go with the cheaper Nexus 10.

1member1
Nov 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
The nexus 10's screen is pretty much undisputely better the retina screen in the ipad.

I never said the ipad has a better screen. i'm aware of it. read the lines again

Sensamic
Nov 26, 2012, 09:34 PM
To mirror?

N10 has HDMI out, the iPad you can get an adapter. With the iPad you can currently use airplay to wirelessly mirror to an Apple TV. We are waiting for the update for miracast for the N10. Personally since miracast is becoming standard you'll see a lot of neat stuff from 3rd party manufactures including it built in to HDTV's from the start.

I think Google pushed the device out in a hurry. It works great but I'm waiting for 3rd party accessories or even Google/Samsung branded stuff....there is a bit but nothing like the iPad of course which can also share a lot of stuff from previous generations. It charges a bit slow but Google has a magnetic "pogo" charger coming out soon which will supposedly charge the device very quickly.

Is this pogo charger official? Because I've seen many people saying it will come out eventually buy I haven't seen an official announcement from Google or Samsung. People assume it will come out, but I don't even remember the galaxy nexus having a pogo accessory. There was a dock shown on the announcement but I never saw it come out.

I would need this pogo charger too, but I just see people saying it will come out and not an official release date from Google, or maybe it could be released by a 3rd party vendor?

cynics
Nov 26, 2012, 09:59 PM
Is this pogo charger official? Because I've seen many people saying it will come out eventually buy I haven't seen an official announcement from Google or Samsung. People assume it will come out, but I don't even remember the galaxy nexus having a pogo accessory. There was a dock shown on the announcement but I never saw it come out.

I would need this pogo charger too, but I just see people saying it will come out and not an official release date from Google, or maybe it could be released by a 3rd party vendor?

Official or 3rd party someone will make it. Here is a pic of a magnetic stuck to one of the 2 metal things designed to receive it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/27/nugyrypy.jpg

I've seen a picture of the official one but I don't know if it was a fake or not. Looked nice though...

Vegastouch
Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
You're right, it does have 1GB RAM. I could have sworn the updated 4G LTE version got the 2GB upgrade, guess I was wrong!

And no I wouldn't complain if they put 3GB ram in the S4, but I just feel they might starting to ram in more RAM, more cores etc just because they can without any real use for them.

Not going to argue with you about the Multi-tasking argument, the iPad doesn't multi-task hence it performance, whilst Android does. But the Android OS itself does need a little more optimization in RAM managment.

And if I'm honest, I wanted to buy the Nexus 10 and most certainly would have over the iPad 4 if it wasn't so hard to get a hold of a Nexus 10. Not once have I seen in in stock on the Playstore, I didn't even know it got released. I picked up the iPad 4 in the sale, but I'll be sure to have a blast at a Nexus 10 when it comes available.

I didnt know an iPad 4 was on the market. Is it a full size tablet? I havent seen a commercial for it either and only hear about an iPad 4 in here. What is different about that than the iPad 3?

cynics
Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
I didnt know an iPad 4 was on the market. Is it a full size tablet? I havent seen a commercial for it either and only hear about an iPad 4 in here. What is different about that than the iPad 3?

Faster processor and graphics and a lightning connector. It was released too close to the iPad 3 for Apple to advertise. Technically the iPad 3 has the speed of the iPad 2 with a better screen. All these updates are getting so minor its no wonder you don't know what has what.....

Sincci
Nov 27, 2012, 07:41 AM

Currently there are two different international Galaxy S3 phones, the i9300 model doesn't have LTE and only comes with 1GB of RAM. The i9305 model on the other hand does come with LTE and 2GB of RAM. Both of these models come with Samsung's own Exynos 4 Quad SoC, so they are different from the US LTE models.