PDA

View Full Version : Jony Ive is Now Playing the Steve Jobs Role

MacRumors
Nov 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/05/jony-ive-is-now-playing-the-steve-jobs-role/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/timive.jpg
Jony Ive is now the spiritual successor for Steve Jobs at Apple, according to technology journalist Micah Singleton (http://micahsingleton.com/post/34688966700/apple-looking-forward). Tim Cook is playing the role he always played. Cook is a details guy and handles the supply chain like no one else. But, Jobs was always the product guy, and his fingerprints were on everything Apple did.

Singleton (http://micahsingleton.com/post/34688966700/apple-looking-forward):
When Steve Jobs was CEO of Apple, its senior leadership was a two-headed monster. Steve put his touch on every product Apple released, while then COO Tim Cook made sure operations ran smoothly, and products were properly distributed. Using this model, Apple had unprecedented creative and financial success. With the recent moves made by now CEO Tim Cook, this model has returned, albeit slightly altered, with Cook leading, and Sir Jony Ive playing the role of Jobs, taking over creative control of the world's largest company.

Article Link: Jony Ive is Now Playing the Steve Jobs Role (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/05/jony-ive-is-now-playing-the-steve-jobs-role/)

komodrone
Nov 5, 2012, 01:06 PM
if only we can get Jony to do the keynotes.

Atari5001
Nov 5, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ohh hell yes!!!!

thomasfxlt
Nov 5, 2012, 01:09 PM
Simply put.... great move!

CristobalHuet
Go hard, Jony.

wickerman1893
Makes a lot more sense. Jony has the vision that Cook lacks.

macchiato2009
Nov 5, 2012, 01:10 PM
i wish it will unleash his creativity

because we've seen a lot of compromises lately...

the ipod's are not really what we expected...

SandboxGeneral
If it works, go with it!

TennisandMusic
I think we will quickly know if this is a good or a bad thing. Apple needs to get back to focusing on pros and productivity, and solid tools for these types. Sure, iOS can still get plenty of attention, but one does not have to be ignored at the expense of the other.

nuckinfutz
Nov 5, 2012, 01:11 PM
Ive looks pissed!

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/crime.jpg

The Bulge
Creepy smile.

sircharles
You can not run the company if you lack passion and commitment to the company and it's products. Tim and Jon are the one.

CristobalHuet
Nov 5, 2012, 01:12 PM
Creepy smile.

What smile?

pommie82
Nov 5, 2012, 01:13 PM
I think phil Schiller & Jony at keynotes presenting would be perfect.

nick_elt
Brilliant. Even though i have android now, im an apple guy at heart. And once he spins his magic ill be straight back.

camnchar
Way to go, Tim. Elevating Ive and dumping Forstall should make for some insanely great products coming up.

nick_elt
Creepy smile.

Jony smiles?

Scrub175
It feels like Apple is in a waiting for what's next mode, relying on previous successes. I feel this change will put Apple back into creating its own future with new products. I know the mini is a new product but overall there's a creative drive that's still missing. It's back.

MacMyDay
Jony does not look best pleased about his new role. Do not approach the cage. Do not feed the Jony.

nfl46
Nov 5, 2012, 01:14 PM
Now, this is a GREAT move by Tim! At least he knows people's strong points around him.

egeek84
http://i.imgur.com/VU2MM.gif

The Bulge
What smile?

My thoughts exactly.

nuckinfutz
Nov 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
Man

Doesn't Apple have a campus gym? Some execs need to get in and shed some pounds.

SWPROX
Nov 5, 2012, 01:17 PM
Jony is always like "YOU,yes YOU-am watching YOU :cool:" :apple:

neuregulin
Nov 5, 2012, 01:17 PM
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.

The Bulge
Nov 5, 2012, 01:19 PM
Man

Doesn't Apple have a campus gym? Some execs need to get in and shed some pounds.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

GoCubsGo
Nov 5, 2012, 01:21 PM
Seems like a beneficial and smart move.

kk1ro
Nov 5, 2012, 01:23 PM
This is the best move Apple has made since Cook took over.

Not too sad to see Forstall leaving, either.

Getting Ive to lead the Product Design and the UI/Human Interface teams will probably help make Apple's products part of a more coherent hardware/software ecosystem.

Can't wait to see what this means for the end-user!

Mike MA
Nov 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
Sounds promising.

Will do good
I wish Jony all the best. But, beyond talent he needs to be as lucky as Steve too.

Go Jony!!

The Bulge
This is the best move Apple has made since Cook took over.

Not too sad to see Forstall leaving, either.

Getting Ive to lead the Product Design and the UI/Human Interface teams will probably help make Apple's products part of a more coherent hardware/software ecosystem.

Can't wait to see what this means for the end-user!

Well this has yet to be determined. Until we see the fruits of his labour we won't know for sure.

knemonic
Nov 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
This just feels right.

I hope Ives is in good health to give at least another decade as Jobs did.

I would love to see what Apple is in 2020 under Ives and Cook.

Imaginethe
Nov 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
It is a decision which makes sense, I think Tim Cook has seen his strengths, seen his cheif designers, seen Apple's, and is moving back towards them.

nsimpson94
Nov 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
Yay! :D

nuckinfutz
Nov 5, 2012, 01:34 PM
It is a decision which makes sense, I think Tim Cook has seen his strengths, seen his cheif designers, seen Apple's, and is moving back towards them.

It better be right or Tim Cook will have to fire Tim Cook.

Makosuke
How it should be.

I've got to assume that Scott Forstall was the reason that this didn't happen immediately, and it's good that everything is set right now. Frankly, now that Ive has complete control of both hardware and software aesthetics, there's a good chance that stuff will actually get better than before.

That's not to say that Jony Ive has the deep sense of what people actually want versus what they think they want when it comes to a device--though he sure as heck knows what it should look like and how it should be put together--but I also have faith that there's enough brains and skill at the company that he'll have the people to hand it off to when he needs to.

It's also fortunate that, depending on how you look at it, Apple's future is already on the table--at this point the revolution has already been televised, it's just a matter of continuing to make it even more awesome and staying ahead of the curve. Something I'm pretty confident Jony Ive and the guys under him know how to do, now that he has the power to have them do what needs to be done, and do it right.

Sure, there's the Apple TV and maybe some other cool new thing, but that's frankly not the game-changing devices that the iPhone and iPad were and will continue to be, and I'm skeptical anything else will be, either. Those two products are what Apple (or Steve Jobs using Apple) has been trying to build since the '80s--that's what the company existed to produce. Now they've been unleashed on the world, they've already changed everything--it's just a matter of keeping them good. Go to, Jony.

kingtj
THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

I'm not really convinced Ives has the level of commitment and passion for Apple and its products than people seem to assume he does?

After all, this is a guy who was ready to walk out of Apple so he could pursue new/different things, not that long ago! Apple had to make a really sweet deal with him to convince him to stick around.

Sure, he talks a good talk about what he creates. Why wouldn't he? Any artist would do the same. But that doesn't mean he's completely focused on what's best for Apple in the long run.

And Tim Cook? Well, he's a supply chain management guy at the end of the day. His skills lie in doing a good job making sure a company gets a good deal on the components they purchase, and makes sure the inventory is stocked in an optimal manner. Great -- but that's really the "nitty gritty, behind the scenes" stuff companies need. That's not anything that lends itself to leading a company to produce innovative and existing new things and getting buyers all worked up over them.

You can not run the company if you lack passion and commitment to the company and it's products. Tim and Jon are the one.

shurcooL
Nov 5, 2012, 01:38 PM
Sounds great from what I can tell!

extricated
Nov 5, 2012, 01:42 PM
I was excited to hear about Sir Ive's new role.

Eager to see if Singleton's "spiritual successor" assessment is accurate.
Got a chuckle out of that line.

mattroman246
Nov 5, 2012, 01:44 PM
So... ***ing... Happy!

NoMoreSony
Seems to me that shareholders not so happy due latest financial results and we have yet to see something really big. Cannot wait for the moment when Ive finally fire Timmy. :p

JonLa
THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

I'm not really convinced Ives has the level of commitment and passion for Apple and its products than people seem to assume he does?

After all, this is a guy who was ready to walk out of Apple so he could pursue new/different things, not that long ago! Apple had to make a really sweet deal with him to convince him to stick around.

But maybe he was ready to leave because he was ready to lead? we all reach plateaus in our careers and look for the next mountain to scale. Maybe it was a negotiating tactic to find out whether he had a future at the higher (and highest) level of Apple? Driven people don't want to stand still....

(couple of mixed metaphors there, sorry...)

BigZ243
Nov 5, 2012, 01:46 PM
great move. much needed

nuckinfutz
Nov 5, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

No more triplicates in the "open with" section.

More user controlled editing of how information is conveyed.

truettray
Nov 5, 2012, 01:52 PM
Good news.

class77
Nov 5, 2012, 02:07 PM
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility

madsci954
Nov 5, 2012, 02:15 PM
So one man cannot replace Jobs, you need 2: Cook and Ive.

Icaras
Nov 5, 2012, 02:20 PM
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility

I don't wish that and I disagree. Hope Jony continues the trend. Love the new iMac design. Good riddance ODD. Thanks again Apple. :D

And let's see those 27" high end benchmarks first before we talk about compromising.

smulji
Nov 5, 2012, 02:23 PM

If that's what it takes, then why not.

milo
Nov 5, 2012, 02:24 PM

If you read the article, the whole point is that it has been two all along - Cook was doing the exact same thing along with Jobs, he just wasn't as visible to the public.

spencecb
Nov 5, 2012, 02:25 PM
I think this will be Apple's saving grace. Not that they are in decline, by any means, but I think this will help them get back on track after the "unguided" year that 2012 has brought.

This will help to ensure that Apple maintains its edge and innovation for years to come. I'm sure Steve is breathing a sigh of relief.

FlatlinerG
Nov 5, 2012, 02:34 PM
Insanely great.

jwdsail
Nov 5, 2012, 02:35 PM
Touché ;)

I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

I want to be wrong.. I want to believe..

But, the best I feel about any of this lately is, "Meh".

Moonjumper
Nov 5, 2012, 02:48 PM

I think this might have been due to the apparent disagreement with Scott Forstall. I don't doubt Jony Ive's commitment to Apple.

But I don't see Jony Ive as the replacement for Steve Jobs. I think Apple are right in not even trying to replace him. Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together.

My guess is we don't see Jony Ive presenting at the keynotes is because he is not comfortable doing so. But that is OK, as he is a very good designer. I am looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the software side.

Journeyman79
Nov 5, 2012, 02:48 PM
Touché ;)

I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.

AppleInLVX
Nov 5, 2012, 02:53 PM
Have we heard anything from Ive himself about all this? That is, how he feels taking on this extra stuff? I totally agree this could rock for making the future Apple products completely mind blowing, but then it could also burn Jony's mind straight away. Steve was a unique sort of guy. He spent all his time thinking about stuff like this, pursued it with some kind of strange, super-strong passion that you don't really see anywhere. Ive has always struck me as much more reserved; I wouldn't say he's dispassionate, but I might say he was loving his niche and perhaps didn't necessarily campaign for this as much as it was thrust upon him.

I just hope he doesn't get so stressed that he just tosses it all...

smulji
Nov 5, 2012, 02:55 PM
I think this might have been due to the apparent disagreement with Scott Forstall. I don't doubt Jony Ive's commitment to Apple.

But I don't see Jony Ive as the replacement for Steve Jobs. I think Apple are right in not even trying to replace him. Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together.

My guess is we don't see Jony Ive presenting at the keynotes is because he is not comfortable doing so. But that is OK, as he is a very good designer. I am looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the software side.

"Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together."

I couldn't agree more. Here's an article arguing your point;

http://more-real.com/blog/2012/10/31/the-all-new-apple-the-head-the-heart-and-the-voice

----------

I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.

Wouldn't that be awesome.

gotluck
Nov 5, 2012, 03:00 PM
I don't wish that and I disagree. Hope Jony continues the trend. Love the new iMac design. Good riddance ODD. Thanks again Apple. :D

And let's see those 27" high end benchmarks first before we talk about compromising.

mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?

The Bulge
Nov 5, 2012, 03:01 PM
I lol'd.

Please do not.

quincy164
Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
Very good move and shows great confidence on Cook's part. However, while Ive can do a great job with design, the far tougher part is envisioning new products. That was Jobs's true genius and the real hard thing to replace.

Bubba Satori
Nov 5, 2012, 03:04 PM
"Jony Ive is now the spiritual successor for Steve Jobs at Apple."

The word spiritual has a different meaning for me.

CGagnon
Nov 5, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ive looks pissed!

Image (http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/crime.jpg)

Are you one of those people who doesn't like skeuomorphism? I hate those people...

Sardonick007
Nov 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
Not that it will affect my buying decision in any way, because I'm all over the products, but, I feel like the last lonely guy that likes the skeuomorphic design. What a lonely and disappointing world. :)

RoboCop001
Nov 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
Please do not.

I'm afraid it's already too late. :)

markcres
Nov 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
Jony Ive isn't just smaller and thinner than Steve Jobs. He is a distillation of Steve.....

jmille44
Nov 5, 2012, 03:15 PM

Ive's wants to be thin. Someone buy him a juice machine already.

msantram
Nov 5, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'd like to think that Jony Ive is playing the Jony Ive role.

righteye
Nov 5, 2012, 03:18 PM
i still feel Apple without SJ has lost the crazy drive and inspiration that Apple Needs,he might have been difficult at times and downright contrary but look where they got to, nothing Apple has done since SJ,s passing has inspired me ( actually its worse than that the products i feel are not hitting the mark and are always short of greatness always holding back, maybe the reserve is running dry) and it makes me sad and worried for the future.
Maybe with Ives in this role we might see some Apple greatness once again but i think they need to pull their finger out and get on with it the competition will only get tougher.
These are just my personal thoughts and opinions and i do not wish to upset anyone.

steveza
Nov 5, 2012, 03:19 PM
For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.So following Microsoft's lead with Windows 8 :)

Bchagey
Nov 5, 2012, 03:21 PM
Great news! Can't wait to see what the future holds!

AppleInLVX
Nov 5, 2012, 03:24 PM
I feel like the last lonely guy that likes the skeuomorphic design. What a lonely and disappointing world. :)

I like some of it. I love that the textures you get on screens aren't flat. Paper has a grain, and the linen thing never bugged me at all. All the leather stuff is pushing it. The podcasting revox and game table stuff is idiotic. I guess what I'm saying is there's a way to do it well, and Apple's been shooting far beyond that point for a long time.

Dgail
Nov 5, 2012, 03:24 PM
Very good move and shows great confidence on Cook's part. However, while Ive can do a great job with design, the far tougher part is envisioning new products. That was Jobs's true genius and the real hard thing to replace.

Agreed, I do hope he retains some of the skeumorphic design we have all come to love, like the trash. Google changed some of their icons and when I have to visit their web page on the Windows workstations at work, it drives me crazy as they take too long to figure them out.

Back to Jony, would love to see him at some of the launches, to hear him speak about "allooominium"!:cool:

Journeyman79
Nov 5, 2012, 03:25 PM
So following Microsoft's lead with Windows 8 :)

I guess so. The intent behind Windows 8 is a great idea, its just been implemented poorly. Ive on the other hand, could do this the 'Apple' way :)

ChristianJapan
Nov 5, 2012, 03:28 PM
mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

No, of course not. But the "thinness" require compromised thermal solutions. And the mobile CPU/GPU produce less heat and require smaller cooling support which gives a good baseline.

Apple never want to "just" beat in a benchmark; they want to win the heart of the user by providing a good design and smooth running system.
And mostly they achieve that.

localhost8080
Nov 5, 2012, 03:35 PM
the podcasts app is one of the few that I do like, ical on mac looks crap.

naeS1Sean
Nov 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess....YYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! :apple::apple::apple::D:D:D

KdParker
Nov 5, 2012, 03:46 PM
Well this has yet to be determined. Until we see the fruits of his labour we won't know for sure.

agreed. We need to see how this will play out.

steveza
Nov 5, 2012, 03:48 PM
I guess so. The intent behind Windows 8 is a great idea, its just been implemented poorly. Ive on the other hand, could do this the 'Apple' way :)I would like to see the result of that experiment.

I'm fairly happy with Windows 8 and RT, haven't used a Win8 phone yet but all of ones gadgets running basically the same OS has it's advantages ... even if the OS isn't perfect.

localhost8080
Nov 5, 2012, 03:51 PM
I would like to see the result of that experiment.

I'm fairly happy with Windows 8 and RT, haven't used a Win8 phone yet but all of ones gadgets running basically the same OS has it's advantages ... even if the OS isn't perfect.

I like the idea of the surface pro.
it should tie in with a win 8 pro laptop / desktop and a win 8 phone and be a very good experience.

i would probably run ubuntu on the intel chip microsoft surface though :|

Mousse
Nov 5, 2012, 03:58 PM
No, of course not. But the "thinness" require compromised thermal solutions. And the mobile CPU/GPU produce less heat and require smaller cooling support which gives a good baseline.

Apple never want to "just" beat in a benchmark; they want to win the heart of the user by providing a good design and smooth running system.
And mostly they achieve that.

That's where they lost me. The whole obsession with thinness... The Mac Pro is the machine I lust after; thinness be damned, gimme power. Alas I can't afford one, not being one a one percenter.

Scott6666
Nov 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
Duh.

Was this not obvious?

JaySoul
Nov 5, 2012, 04:08 PM
Scott Forstall must be a wreck right now.

SaguaroJoe
Nov 5, 2012, 04:09 PM
This series of moves underscores Steve Jobs decision to put Cook in the number one spot. Cook fully understands the strengths and weaknesses of Apple. Clearly putting Jony Ives in charge of all things creative does exactly what Jobs wanted. Cook's brilliance shines.

mdelvecchio
Nov 5, 2012, 04:18 PM
i still feel Apple without SJ has lost the crazy drive and inspiration that Apple Needs,he might have been difficult at times and downright contrary but look where they got to, nothing Apple has done since SJ,s passing has inspired me ( actually its worse than that the products i feel are not hitting the mark and are always short of greatness always holding back, maybe the reserve is running dry) and it makes me sad and worried for the future.
Maybe with Ives in this role we might see some Apple greatness once again but i think they need to pull their finger out and get on with it the competition will only get tougher.

disney company is doing just fine w/o walt.

Porco
Nov 5, 2012, 04:45 PM
:rolleyes:

Sorry to be 'that guy' but...

Ives

Ives

Ives

Jony Ives

Jony Ives

Are you all serious right now?!

Ive. The man is called Ive. The name is even in the title of the story this time!

Ive.

There is no 's' unless you're talking more than one of him. And perhaps one day they shall clone him, or employ someone with the same surname in a prominent public position. Until that day though, it's Ive, not 'Ives'.

Apple Key
Nov 5, 2012, 04:50 PM

Ive. The man is called Ive. The name is even in the title of the story this time!

Ive.

There is no 's' unless you're talking more than one of him. And perhaps one day they shall clone him, or employ someone with the same surname in a prominent public position. Until that day though, it's Ive, not 'Ives'.

Best post of the day - by far! :D

cheesyappleuser
Nov 5, 2012, 04:54 PM
**** you're comparising with Jobs again

MacGizmo
Nov 5, 2012, 05:07 PM

Ive.

If Steve Jobs were alive, those posts never would have happened! :eek:

LeoNobilis
Nov 5, 2012, 05:15 PM
Man

Most likely, it has. Jonathan does work out, I believe. I expect, so does Schiller (he weighed a few kilos more a year or two ago).

dampfnudel
Nov 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
Man

True dat.

Ironduke
Nov 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
The British are coming!!!!!!!!

Eriden
Nov 5, 2012, 05:45 PM
Now that Mini-Steve is being shown the door, this is the best thing that could happen at Apple. Hopefully, Ive has his own innate demands for perfection, and it wasn't simply something that Steve was beating in to him.

Nermal
Nov 5, 2012, 05:50 PM
(Stuff)

You could also go through and count the number of posts that say "Steve Job's" :o

ixodes
Nov 5, 2012, 06:02 PM
This is highly encouraging.

Jony Ive will do what Steve did, better, faster, with more style and less drama.

I'd also venture a guess he's not filled with the same burning desire to destroy people and companies. He's too skilled, too experienced, and too well balanced.

Apple is now in a very good position.

touchipods
Nov 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/VU2MM.gif)

Yeah I thought that was quite awkward after I had just finished watching the entire keynote. Never knew a gif of this existed.

oplix
Nov 5, 2012, 06:12 PM
The only person who can lead apple into the future .

eron
Nov 5, 2012, 06:13 PM
This series of moves underscores Steve Jobs decision to put Cook in the number one spot. Cook fully understands the strengths and weaknesses of Apple. Clearly putting Jony Ives in charge of all things creative does exactly what Jobs wanted. Cook's brilliance shines.

I think having Jony at a more central role was already in the planning when Steve Jobs was around. I think the issue was with Jony's long term commitment. To have so much responsibilities is a big ask. They have definitely drawn some special deal to have Jony agree to it, perhaps with Forstall's oust included.

Forstall's departure was only a matter of time.

tech4all
Nov 5, 2012, 07:12 PM

Jony Ive will do what Steve did, better, faster, with more style and less drama.

I'd also venture a guess he's not filled with the same burning desire to destroy people and companies. He's too skilled, too experienced, and too well balanced.

What else does your crystal ball show you?

Sorry, I probably sound like an arse, but nobody knows how Ives (I mean Ive ;)) will do.

Time will tell.

iWe
Nov 5, 2012, 07:19 PM
Excellent move! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-037.gif

patent10021
Nov 5, 2012, 07:31 PM
Go hard, Jony.

what? :eek:

----------

That's some hilarious ****. Wonder what keynote that was. Maybe it was a sneak preview of Total Recall.

Btw, I think it's safe to say Cook is a genius with this move. He def belongs where he is.

scupking
Nov 5, 2012, 07:34 PM
Cook, Ive and Schiller are now the dream team!!! Great move Cook! Can't wait to see what comes from apple in the next 10 years!

touchipods
Nov 5, 2012, 08:12 PM
what? :eek:

----------

That's some hilarious shi_t. Wonder what keynote that was. Maybe it was a sneak preview of Total Recall.

Btw, I think it's safe to say Cook is a genius with this move. He def belongs where he is.

That was the recent iPad Mini keynote. Right after Tim Cook says bye and everyone is leaving.

mankar4
Nov 5, 2012, 08:15 PM
I hope Ives ios and os x (xi?) dont become more locked down and uncustomizable to ensure his control of the user experience. Imagine if we had to jailbreak our Macs!

kmj2318
Nov 5, 2012, 08:32 PM
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.

I think the set up now is as good as it can be. Jony Ive is a replacement to Steve in some ways, but Jony does not have the personality to also be the CEO.

Ashwood11
Nov 5, 2012, 08:54 PM
I think it's time to call him "Jony iVe"

cclloyd
Nov 5, 2012, 08:55 PM
Is Ive the one that was for or against skeuomorphism?

gmanist1000
Nov 5, 2012, 08:56 PM

I can't figure out what's happening here.

hachre
Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 PM
I think it's time to call him "Jony iVe"

Hahahah awesome

----------

I can't figure out what's happening here.

Ive is rebooting iVe OS after a long and boring keynote :D

SeattleMoose
Nov 5, 2012, 10:50 PM
As if it could be anyone else.....Good move but just like with SJ, temper the "design aesthetics" with practical HW design (ala via Bob Mansfield). Design "purity" (without some practical give and take with HW engineering) results in beautiful but "crippled" HW engineering (e.g. limited user maintenance / expandability / etc).

bennyboy34
Nov 6, 2012, 02:23 AM
I'm sure Steve is breathing a sigh of relief.

Well no, Steve isn't breathing..

tripmusic
Nov 6, 2012, 02:31 AM
Ive looks pissed!

Image (http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/crime.jpg)Maybe Tim just tried to touch Jony and he wasn't too happy about it?

cfs112
Nov 6, 2012, 03:10 AM
great move, I'm looking for more innovation. a product being thinner is not the innovation i'm looking for.

Mystic386
Nov 6, 2012, 03:46 AM
All the Ive articles that quote his thoughts show a guy that is onto it in terms of design, the customer experience, and design excellence through the whole machine whether you can see it or not. Even the the packaging. Who does that. Jony Ive. This level of commitment to design means that Apple promoting Ive in this way is a great decision.

The future already looks great for Samsung and Google. Microsoft and some PC makers seem to be the slowest to learn and adapt. The next 10 years will be an interesting time.

Apples lead in key areas that determine product success is being closed. In other areas it's not even being touched.

I'm wrapped with the Ive decision. As an Apple customer it makes me feel good about the future. Real good.

BC2009
Nov 6, 2012, 03:51 AM
Seems to me that shareholders not so happy due latest financial results and we have yet to see something really big. Cannot wait for the moment when Ive finally fire Timmy. :p

You do realize that the fiscal year that just ended posted 45% increase in revenue and 61% increase in profit over fiscal 2011? Investors are skittish morons and analysts are even worse. The stock always corrects because Apple's fundamentals override every bearish spin in the end. Wall Street simply cannot fathom a company if this size achieving that level of growth. Not to mention they have been growing like that for at least eight straight years. Apple just sold 3M tablets at a healthy margin in three days, while Google fell short of selling 3M tablets at cost in three months.

I am holding my AAPL stock and if I did not discipline myself to diversify I would be loading up on AAPL in a much bigger way at the current price. 2013 is going to be an amazing year for the company. Starting with the earnings report in January, and the on to whatever Ives has for us at WWDC (likely with a summer iPad refresh) and then the iPhone 5S (likely with fingerprint recognition in the home button) and we will see Mac Pro refresh, Retina Thunderbolt Display and iMac with Retina Display.

This move by Tim is to prevent Apple from going into a "coasting" mode. Forestall has been coasting. He has left too many things below their potential. It's time to hit another one out of the park.

everything-i
Nov 6, 2012, 04:46 AM
I think this is a good match, Jony has the product vision and Tim has the business head. Together they should be able to do great things. All we need now is a great showman to present the new stuff at keynotes. This is one thing that I miss most about Apple these days, when Steve presented it didn't seem to matter that you knew what was coming it was still exciting.

Puevlo
Nov 6, 2012, 04:59 AM
Johnny definitely saved Apple. Cook and Ives are the brains behind Apple for sure.

Rogifan
Nov 6, 2012, 05:47 AM
I'm curious to know how this all went down. Did Ive request to be more involved in software? Does the HI group report up through him or through Federighi? Who had the final say? I'm hoping Cook gave Ive some real power in this position and its not just him sitting in on UI/UX design meetings offering an opinion that may or may not carry any weight.

One thing I wonder is how long Ive has had certain feelings that he had to keep in check because of Steve? Maybe he's wanted hardware and software to be designed holistically but Steve prevented it?

I do like what Cook has done here, bringing all of design together, all of the online services and software under one leader. And then carving out a spot for Bob Mansfield to work on new technologies. And it seems everyone on the executive team now are real team players who can work together and who don't have designs on Cooks job.

MonkeySee....
Nov 6, 2012, 05:53 AM
Ive making the important decisions?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/26977358.jpg

macs4nw
Nov 6, 2012, 06:29 AM

I'll 'second' that.

I wish Jony all the best. But, beyond talent he needs to be as lucky as Steve too. Go Jony!!

There's no doubt JONY has the 'design perfectionist' gene, and he has unquestionably come up with impeccable designs. We can only hope that he also has the VISION, to take APPLE in the right direction, something that seemed like second nature to SJ. That 'vision' is a quality that, despite all his other great accomplishments, seems to be lacking in Tim Cook.

To me, a 'dream' team would also include Tony Fadell, but he seems to be doing so well with his NEST venture, that his return to APPLE seems unlikely. :(

kazmac
Nov 6, 2012, 07:26 AM
He deserves it.

Hopefully he'll continue to create great things.

jlchee
Nov 6, 2012, 07:50 AM
I find the phrase " Jony Ive is Now Playing the Steve Jobs Role" irritating. Jony is not "playing" anything. He is a serious guy who probably made Jobs look real good over the years.
I have been very concerned over the period since Jobs passing as it didn't seem that Ives was being heard from. Almost as if he was shuffled to the background. When I saw Tim Cook leading the last product introductions I was even more concerned. Tim seemed to be trying to re-create Jobs, the way he dressed, the movements as if he had beed studying past videos of Jobs performances. He was sooo boring. Bring Ives back on stage and Tim, please let the guys do their job and stay off the stage, no pun intended.
Great move Tim!

miniroll32
Nov 6, 2012, 08:00 AM
I have been very concerned over the period since Jobs passing as it didn't seem that Ives was being heard from. Almost as if he was shuffled to the background.

This isn't a soap opera; you don't need to 'hear' from people to know whether they're doing their job properly or not.

iMacFarlane
Nov 6, 2012, 08:03 AM
Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

We now have a model to look at regarding the complete unification of a desktop OS and a portable touch-based OS: Windows 8.

I sincerely hope Apple continues to innovate, improve, and revolutionize, but let's not drive computers like we drive tablets. I don't wear the same clothes to drive my car that I do to ride my motorcycle . . .

RSL
Nov 6, 2012, 08:14 AM
Jony Ive deserves massive credit for the work he's done up to now in helping create the most desirable gadgets in tech.

But as an old school mac guy, for me design is a plus, but what really matters is the magical experience when using the operating system. I like the way the mac just works, intuitively, no instructions needed. I like to be able to be productive without worrying about the computer.

I don't know if Ive is controlling much of the software aspect of things, but I think that the emphasis should be on making the best software, and then making the best hardware to use it. I don't mind the direction in which OSX and iOS are headed, but so far the results have not been great (for me). I see no point (except autosave!) to use Lion/ML. I found Lion to be really buggy and not stable, plus hungry for resources. It just shows that the software side had been neglected. Also this programmed obsolescence thing makes little computing sense, since if OSX and iOS merge, then it will actually lower computing requirements. (We're already seeing this with Win 8.) IMO it just gives Apple a bad image.

the8thark
Nov 6, 2012, 08:41 AM
And be bored to death?
Jon is a genius, a legend. But he is not good at talking to crowds. Look at the event Apple had for Jobs death. Jon spoke. And he was so boring, looked like he just got out of bed etc etc. The only reason I'm glad he spoke there is I know he really spoke some nice words about Jobs.

Jon would not want to put a shirt with buttons or a tie or even smile (he's the only senior VP photo that is not smiling. And the only one with a t-shirt on. I say leave Jon to do what he does best. And pay him millions to make sure he keeps doing it. And leave the keynotes to people with more passion on stage like Schiller. And as much as Forstall was an ******* he was interesting on stage.

I don't believe for a second that Jon is playing the steve role. Sure jobs touch was on every product. But that was just a touch. The heart, soul, backbone and brains of every piece of Apple hardware has Jon all over it. So much so there was a museum exhibition a while back in Germany showcasing everything Jon.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/27/apple_design_guru_featured_in_german_exhibition

I think without the jobs touch/approval every product needed to have to get made, I think that final say will now rest in a number of people's hands. And Jon will have the hardware design side.

tinmancactus
Nov 6, 2012, 08:42 AM

That would be just incredible.

the8thark
Nov 6, 2012, 08:48 AM
But as an old school mac guy, for me design is a plus, but what really matters is the magical experience when using the operating system. I like the way the mac just works, intuitively, no instructions needed. I like to be able to be productive without worrying about the computer.

I think design is just as important as the user experience. There's no reason a piece of technology can't be a piece of modern art as well as being functional.

There is an old food saying "you eat with your eyes". And it's true good looking food makes you want to eat it. And the same with technology I believe. A good looking tech gadget makes the person want to use it. So to me form is just as important as function.

camman564
Nov 6, 2012, 09:49 AM

He must have been watching a presentation from Scott Forstall at that point.

Northgrove
Nov 6, 2012, 10:01 AM
This just feels right.

I hope Ives is in good health to give at least another decade as Jobs did.

From the look of things (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16233051&postcount=21), I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to try remain optimistic! ;)

Radio
Nov 6, 2012, 10:16 AM
Guys if u read the Steve jobs book ud know that Steve took credit for much of Ives designs.

I'm surprised Ives kept so quiet

Ugg
Nov 6, 2012, 10:23 AM
I was fine with Apple until the sharp edges on the iPad. WTF?!? You can't hold the thing for any length of time without your palms going numb. It is definitely a case of design before function . Ok, this happened when Jobs was alive but I find it hard to believe that Ives wasn't involved. I'll reserve my judgment on this until a full product cycle is done.

joshhedge
Nov 6, 2012, 10:23 AM

You're wrong. the 675MX and 680MX are both desktop parts, just clocked lower. Can't please some people, in the future I'd suggest researching Apples GPU choices, then you will see Apple isn't as bad as people suggest for gaming.

Apple Corps
Nov 6, 2012, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=kingtj;16233235]THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

While I agree with your points - and have commented for a couple of years on Tim's product innovation / visionary limitations as a CEO - the real reason Apple will not be the same company post Steve Jobs is that it is post Steve Jobs.

Steve was a once in a century or millennium visionary / leader - he really can not be replicated by anyone.

As a practical matter someone had to be put in the position. The Browett out / Forstall out / Ives expanded role is probably as good a set of moves as could be made.

Now Tim and team need to end the drama and get on with innovating.

Jimmy James
Nov 6, 2012, 10:36 AM
It feels like Apple is in a waiting for what's next mode, relying on previous successes. I feel this change will put Apple back into creating its own future with new products. I know the mini is a new product but overall there's a creative drive that's still missing. It's back.

Really?

They released a new phone for which they had to design a new fabrication process and their first in-house chip.

They released 3 new iPads this year.

Stagnation you say?

gotluck
Nov 6, 2012, 10:53 AM
You're wrong. the 675MX and 680MX are both desktop parts, just clocked lower. Can't please some people, in the future I'd suggest researching Apples GPU choices, then you will see Apple isn't as bad as people suggest for gaming.

I was not aware of the two higher end GPU's, fair enough. (one is BTO). The 3 other models remain mobile GPUs.

Still can't upgrade the card though. Gpu is first to go obsolete. For the price, it still doesn't make sense.

Scrub175
Nov 6, 2012, 10:57 AM
Really?

They released a new phone for which they had to design a new fabrication process and their first in-house chip.

They released 3 new iPads this year.

Stagnation you say?

Really... Like what's the new next big thing like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, air... Instead of sitting back on what sells apple used to drive technology. I see this change will foster that for apple again.

So yes really!

It's starting to feel like Apple is a football team with a big lead and playing prevent defense in the third quarter cause its safe and profitable. I want to see them branch out again for more magical products that leaves the competition in the dust.

RSL
Nov 6, 2012, 11:26 AM
I think design is just as important as the user experience. There's no reason a piece of technology can't be a piece of modern art as well as being functional.

Of course I appreciate the design, both on the outside and on the inside :)

olowott
Nov 6, 2012, 11:35 AM
Bishop to King

Jimmy James
Nov 6, 2012, 12:00 PM
Really... Like what's the new next big thing like the iPad, iPhone, iPod, air... Instead of sitting back on what sells apple used to drive technology. I see this change will foster that for apple again.

So yes really!

It's starting to feel like Apple is a football team with a big lead and playing prevent defense in the third quarter cause its safe and profitable. I want to see them branch out again for more magical products that leaves the competition in the dust.

More time passed between the launch of the iPhone and iPad, than from the iPad to now.

You've lost perspective.

Scrub175
Nov 6, 2012, 12:05 PM
More time passed between the launch of the iPhone and iPad, than from the iPad to now.

You've lost perspective.

No, they have no new products to drive the market right now. You've lost touch drinking too much kool aid.

We can take this offline if u would like.

With cook at the helm alone I don't foresee much in the way of innovative new products. With this change I see newer market drivers in the works. What's so hard to see here?

UmbraDiaboli
Nov 6, 2012, 12:15 PM
I would rather have Scott back in the game - he had the right mentality of leading instead of reacting to the market. He would also bring some balance to the design of the products - too much power for Jony now, that's what I fear.

kdarling
Nov 6, 2012, 12:22 PM
My memory is poor, but haven't all of Ive's designs either been:

1) Rounded translucent gumdrop colored shapes.

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!

SockRolid
Nov 6, 2012, 12:36 PM

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!

Somebody call Samsung Legal! They need to hire this guy ASAP.

Maddoxx
Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 PM
I wish Jony all the best. But, beyond talent he needs to be as lucky as Steve too.

Go Jony!!

Jobs was a visionary and needed some luck; the consumer market for computers didn't exist when Steve founded Apple.

Jony, on the other hand, already has an established market share with hundreds of millions of consumers. With a well establish market, an unbelievable brand, and a cash balance approaching 200 billion next year. Jony doesn't need luck; he just needs to keep doing what he already has been doing for quite some time at Apple. :D

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cash-balance-2013-2012-6

OllyW
Nov 6, 2012, 12:48 PM

2) Rounded rectangular.

Anything else? Thanks!

This isn't very rounded...

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/apple-newton6111.jpg

kd5jos
Nov 6, 2012, 12:55 PM

Image (http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/apple-newton6111.jpg)

Did Ive do that?

melendezest
Nov 6, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ugh..

What exactly do you hate about it? (Not that you're wrong to do so; I'm just curious)

For me, the integration is wonderful and want more of it; especially where OS X features moving to iOS is concerned.

I believe Eleven is going to be, as some have already mentioned, one OS to rule them all (hardware-wise)..

OllyW
Nov 6, 2012, 01:13 PM
Did Ive do that?

I think the MessagePad 110 was one of his first designs for Apple.

rhett7660
Nov 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
Ive looks pissed!

Image (http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/crime.jpg)

I kind of like the mic. The others not so much.

melendezest
Nov 6, 2012, 01:33 PM
great move, I'm looking for more innovation. a product being thinner is not the innovation i'm looking for.

So what is "innovation" to you, then? I hear that term thrown out a lot and I don't know what more there is to be "innovated". I'm genuinely curious.

Aside from holographic interfaces and The Matrix, the computing industry is starting to mature. Maybe I don't really understand what the word really means...

What do people want from Apple, other than refining the products that it already has? Steve wanted computers that anyone can use. Bam, the iPad & iPhone are here. Now what? Really, what?:confused:

Apple is in the car business. They already put out a truck, a car, a motorcycle, an RV....:D

----------

I agree this is very encouraging, but Ive without Jobs is still untested (as far as we know).

However, I cannot wait to find out how/if he succeeds or crashes and burns.

kdarling
Nov 6, 2012, 01:37 PM
I think the MessagePad 110 was one of his first designs for Apple.

Thanks! Apparently Ive managed to change both himself and his designs over time. Wonder what he and his ideas will morph into for the future?

Doesn't he have kids now? That always changes a man's perspective towards usability and ruggedness!

melendezest
Nov 6, 2012, 01:46 PM
All the Ive articles that quote his thoughts show a guy that is onto it in terms of design, the customer experience, and design excellence through the whole machine whether you can see it or not. Even the the packaging. Who does that. Jony Ive. This level of commitment to design means that Apple promoting Ive in this way is a great decision.

The future already looks great for Samsung and Google. Microsoft and some PC makers seem to be the slowest to learn and adapt. The next 10 years will be an interesting time.

Apples lead in key areas that determine product success is being closed. In other areas it's not even being touched.

I'm wrapped with the Ive decision. As an Apple customer it makes me feel good about the future. Real good.

Agreed.

On the other hand, despite what I've heard here, Microsoft has really impressed me with Windows 8. I love the commercial where the mom grabs the "iMac" and puts it on a painter's canvas rack and the daughter paints on it. Cool. So, while they're trying to be "all things to all people", I see that they're actually trying to do something interesting and fun. I would not dismiss them just yet.

If they can work on their ecosystem integration (and for me, their hardware design as well), I feel they'll become a real threat (or alternative, depending on your point of view) real quick. It looks like they're moving in the right direction; If done right, I'm not above switching to Windows phone, Surface, 8 desktop. I feel in this respect, they're superior to Android/Google.

sigamy
Nov 6, 2012, 02:22 PM
I'm hopeful that Ive can bring some order, consistency and some new life into the UI's of both OS X and iOS.

On the Mac:
1. Bring color back to OS X. I don't understand the grayscale-ness of iTunes and Finder, especially now that we have Retina quality displays.
2. Consistency around the OS. I'm thinking of UI elements, usage of Sheets and Dialogs, iCloud integration, full screen vs not, "x" to close an app vs. not, etc.
3. Expose/MC choice. I don't use Spaces and rarely use Full Screen so MC has limited use for me and makes my app windows very small.

iOS wishlist: (these are probably all available on jailbreak)
1. Gesture-based Expose like app switcher that shows open apps live preview.
2. Updating icons
3. UI to get pushed down by notifications, not just notifications on top of screen.
4. Customizable lock screen that combines features of notification center.

And oh yeah, seriously limit the skuemorphism.

sigamy
Nov 6, 2012, 02:34 PM

Man, time flies. It's hard to believe that Mac OS X 10.0 was released in 2001. The transition from OS 9 to OS X took a while but Apple really hit its stride in delivering incredible new features with Panther, Tiger and Leopard.

Now, I'm no John Siracusa so this may not be true anymore, but consider that the core of the OS comes from late 1980's NeXT technology, and I think you are right....It is time for the next revolution in computing OS's.

It's also amazing to consider what has happened first, since 2007 (iPhone) and since 2010 (iPad-first tablet computer people cared about).

Microsoft has made it's bet on convergence of UI across all devices. Google has a bet on now with Android and a bet on the future with ChromeOS. But all Google cares about is eyeballs, not necessarily great design.

Where is Apple going to go? Do they really believe that computers (trucks) are different than tablets (cars)?

driceman
Nov 6, 2012, 04:00 PM

I thought I heard somewhere that Ive didn't WANT to be CEO... He'd rather be the guy being a bad @$$ over in the design department. :D

OllyW
Nov 6, 2012, 04:05 PM
Moderator Note:

The British English vs American English discussion had begun to derail this thread so the posts have been moved into this new thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16233197#post16233197).

the8thark
Nov 6, 2012, 04:25 PM
Jobs was a visionary and needed some luck; the consumer market for computers didn't exist when Steve founded Apple.

Jony, on the other hand, already has an established market share with hundreds of millions of consumers. With a well establish market, an unbelievable brand, and a cash balance approaching 200 billion next year. Jony doesn't need luck; he just needs to keep doing what he already has been doing for quite some time at Apple. :D

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cash-balance-2013-2012-6

Ive didn't have all that at Apple when he was working there in 1997. He designed the second generation of the Newton, the MessagePad110 supposedly.

chris2k5
Nov 6, 2012, 05:24 PM
Jony Ive seems to be doing fine in the shadows. He doesn't need an upfront position to put pressure on him. Phil Schiller should be the front man.

komodrone
Nov 6, 2012, 06:26 PM
And be bored to death?
Jon is a genius, a legend. But he is not good at talking to crowds

now we're just talking opinions.
I enjoy Ive's talks more than Steve's. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JLjldgjuKI&

sazivad
Nov 6, 2012, 07:52 PM
Skeumorphism, I wish I could say I hardly knew ye. But I did know ye. Very well.

Too well.

throAU
Nov 6, 2012, 08:27 PM

I suspect this is why Tim was left in charge. To determine who that replacement should be, in an unbiased manner.

wizzerandchips
Nov 6, 2012, 10:29 PM

And! I remember when I had a fallout with my business partner in 2007...I left...and he replaced me with 3 people ! Some men are good at multitasking

I hope Ive lives up to all your expectations...because boy I wouldn't want to be at the end of you lot if he don't :eek:

RBR2
Nov 6, 2012, 11:27 PM

If only we could get him to make cooler designs...ones that did not overheat so much. ;)

----------

I suspect this is why Tim was left in charge. To determine who that replacement should be, in an unbiased manner.

Tim is the business manager that Steve never was.

jonathan1683
Nov 7, 2012, 12:29 AM
All this hype, he is no jobs replacement, there never will be. Everyone is riding him so hard there will be no one to correct him because they are afraid of him. Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.

ThunderSkunk
Nov 7, 2012, 01:22 AM
That's pretty awesome. To grow from a neglected designer in a basement to this position is the stuff of dreams.

Rogifan
Nov 7, 2012, 01:26 AM
Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.no, but I'm sure you'll remind us. Do you have photos and something to back up the claim Jobs shot them down?

MeFromHere
Nov 7, 2012, 06:38 AM
You could also go through and count the number of posts that say "Steve Job's" :o
If you're going to do a thing, do it right...

You could al'so go through and count the number of po'st's that 'say "'Steve Job's"

;)

prowlmedia
Nov 7, 2012, 10:33 AM
I like the idea of the surface pro.
it should tie in with a win 8 pro laptop / desktop and a win 8 phone and be a very good experience.

i would probably run ubuntu on the intel chip microsoft surface though :|

I doubt you's have much luck with that.
Soft Keyboard support
Hardware keyboard ( covers ) have unique drivers
Video and touch drivers
Power drivers / recharging - propriety connectors

I mean I am sure you could install it but it's not going to do anything... well anything touchy

----------

All this hype, he is no jobs replacement, there never will be. Everyone is riding him so hard there will be no one to correct him because they are afraid of him. Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.

Some of the iphone prototype were fantastic. Some, well, were not!.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphone-cad-drawings-and-prototypes/

You have to remember some of there are 6-7 years old so prototypes were constantly evolving.

How do you know Jobs shut them down... it's the design process.
Design>evolve>scrap>Repeat 100 times>Evolve>Release.*

Unless you are Samsung. Copy.EvolveABit.Release

AppleWarMachine
Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 AM
Jony Ive...spiritual successor...uh :(

prowlmedia
Nov 7, 2012, 10:51 AM
I do think that people on here have no idea what it takes to run a business of this size.

I am not claiming I do. But I suspect that Sir Johnny has less knowledge about the Financials than Tim Cook. And Tim probably doesn't have that design feel.

And with a company like this it's all about the Timescales and bigger picture and Sir J. Seems to be very detail driven and insular. Hense

Looks like a great team to me.

Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JLjldgjuKI
SJI has a very shiny forehead. And whilst factual doens't have the slick presentation skills of some of the others.

And it appears he can smile

http://www.thedrum.com/uploads/styles/creative_review_large/public/creative_review/95984/cr_images/Sir-Jonathan-Ive.jpg

waldobushman
Nov 7, 2012, 01:02 PM

Steve Jobs want Tim Cook as CEO. You think the Board was going to do anything different from that?

phoenixsan
Nov 7, 2012, 01:24 PM
to provide the insight, the aesthetics and the overall design ideas for Apple, now without Steve. Good to know that person is Ive, multi-awarded and key part of Apple sucess:):apple:

LeandrodaFL
Nov 7, 2012, 04:42 PM
I actuallly dont like this guy. I love the iPod and iPad, but Samsungs/Sony/LG smartphones are way more beautiful then an iPhone. And the whole macintosh line is getting uglier every year.

komodrone
Nov 7, 2012, 06:49 PM
Man

Apple has a few scattered throughout the campus actually.

----------

I actuallly dont like this guy. I love the iPod and iPad, but Samsungs/Sony/LG smartphones are way more beautiful then an iPhone. And the whole macintosh line is getting uglier every year.

i can't seem to find a notebook/laptop that looks better than the macbook, imo. i'm not being sarcastic or rhetorical, I really can't find a laptop that looks better than the macbook.

ixodes
Nov 7, 2012, 06:55 PM
Can't wait to see what comes from apple in the next 10 years!

An entire decade ?

I'm more concerned with the next Ten _Months_ :rolleyes:

scb02
Nov 8, 2012, 05:00 AM
Ive should of always been the new Jobs, will fill Job's old shoes perfectly.

And he's british too!

revelated
Nov 8, 2012, 06:36 AM

Ive.

You're being absolutely picky and unnecessary.

MacRumors has gotten out its Burl Ives CD in preparation for Christmas and made a small slip. Must you be so critical?

needfx
Nov 8, 2012, 07:08 AM
Jonynotes

maxxaddict
Nov 9, 2012, 05:25 PM

And that's why the Hackintosh community is growing so rapidly. A desktop machine that you can put a REAL PROCESSOR in, RAM, multiple HDs, Graphics cards and other I/O that you don't have the ability to in ANY of Apple's current offerings, save one, the MacPro.

Apple is sadly leaving Professionals and Prosumer buyers in the dust. We all should have saw it coming when they dropped "Computer" from their name and went to Apple Inc.

They have dropped their server offerings down to a handicapped little machine with no expandability and 5400 RPM HDs and a giant over-priced "server-class" desktop that you can't rackmount.

And don't even get me started on the dumbed down piece of crap that is "10.8 Server"

I hope that they come up bick with the next Mac Pro refresh or I will sadly be looking to the hackintosh community or building windows boxes for our graphics work stations.

Apple is now a consumer electronics company and I wouldn't be surprised to see then in 5 years be out of the desktop computer market. They'll still sell laptops, but I don't want to use Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator or Final Cut (If they are still producing it after their last debacle of a release) on a 15" display and mobile processors.

MacDav
Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 PM
Correction....Jony Ive will continue to play the role of Jony Ive. Steve Jobs has been written out of the Applescript...for this lifetime. ;)

bronxred
Nov 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
I loves me some iOS, and contrary to public opinion it's great for content creation, but I would never have been able to build the websites or make the music I have on iOS. Pretty sure Apple knows this and will keep "milking the Mac" for as long as they can.

ThunderSkunk
Nov 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Jony Ive...spiritual successor...uh :(

Heh. Yeabut... Spirit as in "in keeping with the spirit of the company its products and its founder", not, magical fairies and pixiedust kind of spirit.

RBR2
Nov 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Correction....Jony Ive will continue to play the role of Jony Ive. Steve Jobs has been written out of the Applescript...for this lifetime. ;)

All this talk about Steve is counterproductive. Remember Steve's last advice to the company's leaders which was not to ask what I would do.

The oft overlooked responsibility of the BOD and leader, whatever the title may be, of a company is to prepare it and people within it to carry on in his/her absence.

Despite all of the "what's the succession plan" uproar during Steve's tenure, it should be apparent that he selected and prepared people to carry on. That's a pretty good legacy in my book.

Cheers

jalebibai
Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 AM
my favourite steve jobs

AppleWarMachine
Dec 5, 2012, 03:36 PM
Heh. Yeabut... Spirit as in "in keeping with the spirit of the company its products and its founder", not, magical fairies and pixiedust kind of spirit.

Oh, OK then :D