Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Hello,

Has anyone else encountered the following bug since upgrading to iOS 6.01:

When I am on a home screen, and I use the volume buttons, it changes the apps volume instead of the ringer. If I go into Settings>Sounds and change the ringer volume, then the buttons will go back to controlling the ringer volume for a while from the home screen, but eventually the bug will return. :(

Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, I thought maybe it had to do with my Alarm Clock HD because it takes control of the volume since I have it set to fade in the music, but that wasn't it.

I was listening to Rhapsody through my Griffin FM transmitter on the way to work. When I pulled out the wire from the headphone jack, I went back to the home screen, and the volume buttons were controlling the regular volume again instead of the ringer. :(

Last edited:

BenStock

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I am having same problem - Apple support 'surprised'

I too am having the same problem with 6.0.1. You work-around also fixed my problem (iphone 4s 64GB). Interestingly before I found your work-around, i rang apple. They said that they had received no calls about this, were surprised and suggested a full phone reset and iTunes (non-icloud) restore. The person on the phone then tried his own iphone and had a similar issue - Hah!!!

In-call volume controls still worked but the following were not working:
- Ringer volume unreactive (pressing up and down displayed the volume adjust floating popup but showed zero volume level and did not adjust volume (position of the mute switch made no difference).
- Use of the ringer volume buttons in various apps no longer work under 6.0.1
- itunes music has zero volume and cannot be adjusted
- telephone dialer muted (regardless of mute button position or Settings/Sounds/KeyboardClicks)

Going to Settings/Sounds and adusting the Ringer/Alerts volume level slider then magically fixes the problem (still working after 1 hour) - So thanks.

Hopefuly Apple are starting to notice the bug!!!

(Is it just me or has a post Steve Jobs Apple already started losing user focus and quality?)

B

Hello,

Has anyone else encountered the following bug since upgrading to iOS 6.01:

When I am on a home screen, and I use the volume buttons, it changes the apps volume instead of the ringer. If I go into Settings>Sounds and change the ringer volume, then the buttons will go back to controlling the ringer volume for a while from the home screen, but eventually the bug will return. :(

Thanks.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 20, 2010
So far I "fixed" it yesterday and it still controls the ringer like normal. I need to test something. I don't get any of those other volume bugs.

UPDATE: Well, I thought maybe it had to do with my Alarm Clock HD because it takes control of the volume since I have it set to fade in the music, but that wasn't it.

I was listening to Rhapsody through my Griffin FM transmitter on the way to work. When I pulled out the wire from the headphone jack, I went back to the home screen, and the volume buttons were controlling the regular volume again instead of the ringer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.