Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Earlier this week, I received an e-mail from audible.com offering 12 audiobooks for $119 over a two year period. This is about half as expensive as any of the previous deals they have offered (to me at least), since no monthly commitment is required.

This coincided with the announcement of the Harry Potter audiobooks being available only at iTunes and followed closely on the heels of podcating support in iTunes. There were also a few articles last week about various libraries around the country offering audiobook downloads (with WMA DRM restrictions, so no iPod) to their patrons.

Coincidence? I think not.

The HP deal seems to signal Apple's intention and capability of directly publishing audiobooks, while the development of easy podcasting and library audiobook lending competes directly with audible's subscription offerings.

I'm definitely interested in taking the deal they offered, since I often put off listening to a good book until it becomes available on the used market at a more reasonable price, but can't help but wonder if they are ultimately doomed by the behemoth that is iPod+iTunes.

B

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I thought that audible.com was the source for all of the audiobooks that are available from iTunes. May be I am wrong, but if not, then i think they will be okay, but their own brand could be heavily dilluted due to iTunes popularity if they aren't careful.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
audible.com has been offering these deals for years.

And as kgarner said when you download a book from iTMS you're basically downloading it from audible.com

Check the "About iTunes" screen for some text on this partnership.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
yellow5 said:
audible.com has been offering these deals for years.

And as kgarner said when you download a book from iTMS you're basically downloading it from audible.com

Check the "About iTunes" screen for some text on this partnership.
Phew...glad to see I was right. I hate spouting off like I know something and then finding out I don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.