PDA

View Full Version : HP laptop HD Tune speed vs 2012 MBA

thatsmega.net
Nov 7, 2012, 01:41 AM
Hello

So I think my HDD might be dying on my windows laptop - or this is how its always been I'm not sure.

Look at this speed test - how does this compared with MBA? Will I see a dramatic difference spinning up virtual machines from the SSD?

This current laptop goes crazy after loading 2 virtual machines and then HDD temp goes to 59 degrees c.

thanks

http://i48.tinypic.com/rhqq0w.jpg

msjones
Nov 7, 2012, 04:39 AM
Access times for VM's on my MBA SSD are sensational! Linux VM's boot in seconds, almost as quick as the native OS X host.

I have used SSD drives in all my machines for the past few years. My last being used in an Acer TimelineX 4820t and I would not go back.

What are the specs of your HP, it may be worth while upgrading to an SSD. I'm not trying to put you off purchasing a MBA as these things are beasts! But if you have a relatively equal specced machine it could last you a while longer with an SSD.

crazzyeddie
Nov 7, 2012, 07:02 AM
Just ran this on my 2010 Macbook Air, which as a slower SSD than the current Macs:

http://i.imgur.com/VEYCG.png

thatsmega.net
Nov 7, 2012, 07:16 AM
Access times for VM's on my MBA SSD are sensational! Linux VM's boot in seconds, almost as quick as the native OS X host.

I have used SSD drives in all my machines for the past few years. My last being used in an Acer TimelineX 4820t and I would not go back.

What are the specs of your HP, it may be worth while upgrading to an SSD. I'm not trying to put you off purchasing a MBA as these things are beasts! But if you have a relatively equal specced machine it could last you a while longer with an SSD.

I'm running a core2duo 2.26ghz, 5 gb ram, windows 7 x64 ultimate, nvidia 9200m 256mb graphics, discrete i believe.

msjones, how many vm's can you run concurrently? I'm talking about ssd bottle neck, not RAM. i dont mind a slight slowdown but it gets rediculous when you type on the keyboard and takes a long while for the characters to appear lol

msjones
Nov 7, 2012, 09:56 AM
Because I only have a 64GB drive in my mac, I just run my main linux VM off the SSD. However, I have an external USB 3.0 128GB SSD and from that run 3-4 machines with no issue at all.

I also have an external USB 3.0 500GB 7200RPM drive which runs VM's well, but not as fast as the SSD.