PDA

View Full Version : Older 23" Cinema HD LCD - Good Purchase?

maclamb
Sep 10, 2005, 11:30 AM
I am looking a buying an older (plastic frame, not Aluminum frame) 23 " Apple Cinema HD LCD Display
Askign price is $850 - is this a good price?
Also, were there any known issues with this model (like the pink tinge with the newer models?)

FFTT
Sep 10, 2005, 08:58 PM
Actually the older display was better than the first new aluminum ones, but I wouldn't go over $700.

You also want to run pixel tester to check it over.

Honestly, for $850 you can get a brand new Dell 2405FPW with better specs.

Mac_Freak
Sep 10, 2005, 09:36 PM
I would stay away from older LCD displays. The reason being that the lamps that are used for backlight have a life span and depending on the amount of use it might not be as bright as the new once and might be close (few more years) till it will die.
Second, LCD technology is rapidly advancing, unlike CRTs which have hit plato a while ago, and investing in new display will payoff in a longer run.
As much as like those ACD, that Dell's 24" is practically a steal -also considering it features- for the money that you will pay for it.

FFTT
Sep 10, 2005, 11:23 PM
Hold on.......
I just noticed your Signature.

I can only assume that you are talking about running a 23-24" display off your mini.

I'm not sure if the 32MB VRAM in the mini
will give you the results you're looking for.

The Apple or Dell 20" displays will
work fine with a mini, but I think we need some input from other members here about running the larger displays off the mini's limited 32MB GPU.

TheMonarch
Sep 11, 2005, 01:20 AM
...Honestly, for $850 you can get a brand new Dell 2405FPW with better specs.

OMG WHERE?! LINK ME LINK ME!!!
:D :D :D :D

I missed the offer last time... :mad:

Abstract
Sep 11, 2005, 01:49 AM
Those old Apple displays aren't the best. Honestly, go with a better specced LCD from today. Get a 20" Dell. A Mac Mini doesn't have the capability to run a 23" well. Maybe it will be able to do it, but you'll be stressing that thing the entire time.

FFTT
Sep 11, 2005, 04:52 AM
Dell plays a few games with their pricing and you won't get you best deal online. There is also inter-departmental sales competition that you may benefit from.

You have to deal with them by phone through either education store or business store.

For the best deals you need a Dell member I.D. number

The best prices on the 2405 FPW run from just under $800-$899 shipped.

Macrumors members have bought and helped sell many MANY Dell
displays from our forum coverage.

When dealing with Dell you have to call the shots as much as you can.

As far as working with a mini, I'm afraid you're pushing it
with anything over a 20" display.

Dell, Apple or Samsung are all good choices in that range.

Chundles
Sep 11, 2005, 05:17 AM
The Mac mini also can't run the old plastic 23" displays, it can't run any of the old plastic LCDs actually. They all had ACD connections whereas the mini only comes with DVI.

Get a Dell monitor, yeah they're ugly but they work very well.

Mord
Sep 11, 2005, 06:32 AM
WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE THINK THE MAC MINI CANT DO 1920x1200, seriously when the 23" was new thats what was standard on powermacs, factor in the cost of a ADC-DVI converter which is about a hundred bucks then consider what to get, and you can replace the backlights their are many shops that sell them.

IJ Reilly
Sep 11, 2005, 10:33 AM
WHY THE **** DO PEOPLE THINK THE MAC MINI CANT DO 1920x1200, seriously when the 23" was new thats what was standard on powermacs, factor in the cost of a ADC-DVI converter which is about a hundred bucks then consider what to get, and you can replace the backlights their are many shops that sell them.

I was thinking the same thing. Of course the mini has enough GPU to run a 23" display. No problemo. The biggest issue is driving an ADC display from a DVI connector. The adaptor isn't cheap.

Oh, and I've been running the 17" version of this display for four years now. The backlighting is still fine.

maclamb
Sep 11, 2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks you fall for the advice.
FYI: DVI - ADC adapters are available for around $40 on ebay, but I take the hint about an older display.
I have sold my mini and bought a PB 1.5/15.2 so a 23" LCD should not be an issue (and have updated my signature...)
I looked at the reviews for the Dell 2405 (for best price on these, try nielson distributing - 800/526-1744 : supposed to have them for $780 + s/h) and the new alum Apple 23" -- Tom's hardware is not very complimentary for what I will be using them for: no gaming, no CAD/CAM, just office stuff.
Instead, I am looking at a HP 2304

dornoforpyros
Sep 11, 2005, 11:33 AM
The price might be a little high at $850 but having just picked up an older 20" I'd say go for it! Personally I think the new aluminum ones are rather fugly

Lucky736
Sep 11, 2005, 01:47 PM
I was just about to say go for the HP 23. Same LCD as the Apple Aluminum and more inputs and options.