Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Three US carriers have announced plans to improve their coverage areas, with AT&T announcing a $14 billion new investment, T-Mobile bringing HSPA+ or 4G support to three new metropolitan areas, and Sprint announced a $480 million spectrum and customer acquisition from regional carrier U.S. Cellular.

NewImage5.png
AT&T says it is investing $14 billion to expand its wireless and wireline IP broadband networks in order to accommodate future growth in high-speed Internet connectivity.
AT&T today announced plans to invest $14 billion over the next three years to significantly expand and enhance its wireless and wireline IP broadband networks to support growing customer demand for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud services. The investment plan - Project Velocity IP (VIP) - expands AT&T's high-potential growth platforms, helping drive continued increases in revenues from existing and new products and services, and earnings per share.
T-Mobile announced that it has brought HSPA+ service to three new metropolitan areas, expanding its 'Bring Your Own Phone' marketing effort. T-Mobile says iPhone 4S devices running on its network experience 70% faster connections than comparable devices on AT&T.
T-Mobile customers can now experience these improvements in:

Washington D.C.: Alexandria, VA; Arlington, VA; Chevy Chase, MD; Falls Church, VA; Laurel, MD; McLean, VA; and Silver Spring, MD.

Baltimore: Glen Burnie and Towson, MD

Houston: Cypress, Jersey Village, Humble, Kingwood, and The Woodlands.

T-Mobile network advancements also continue in additional cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York metro area, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Diego and Seattle. Customers in parts of these metro areas are already experiencing improved coverage and iPhone "speed sightings" on T-Mobile's 4G network.
Finally, Sprint is purchasing 585,000 Midwestern subscribers and a chunk of related spectrum from U.S. Cellular for $480 million. U.S. Cellular customers in Chicago, St. Louis, central Illinois, and other Midwestern markets are affected. Japanese carrier Softbank recently purchased a controlling interest in Sprint.

(Image via Flickr/Gary Lerude)

Article Link: AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile Make Moves to Improve Coverage

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Yes makes sense they are doing something positive for all the money we pay.

We need the government to step in and stop the price gouging

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Gesh, remember the good ole AT&T days where they were spending $18B in a single year? Now it's $14B over three years? lol

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Even in Hawaii, with Verizon's LTE coverage there are many spots with 3G only.

Sucks when you get used to LTE then go to a non LTE area :)

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Too late, AT&T! I already switched to Verizon because for more than 10 years I have had no AT&T signal at my house and you never cared enough to do anything about it!

TheseGoTo11

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Here's to hoping...at least for AT&T. I live in the middle of Scottsdale, AZ and can't make a phone call from any room in my house. I have to drive a block away before I get cell reception.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Here's to ATT bringing back true unlimited, unthrottled data to us loyal customers with grandfathered plans

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
AT&T built near me a new tower. It's been sitting there finished for over a year now, without the node array on the top installed. Annoying as heck.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
AT&T will spend the $10 billion in advertising, the remaining $4 billion is for actual improvements. Thanks AT&T!

AntJon82

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
NYC
there doing this cause HURRICANE SANDY messed up alot of ATT serivce in the noreast didnt have a phone for 2-3 days :( its sucked not even INTERNET it was horrible besides no power but i hope dey design weather proof towers and stronger 4G and LTE SIGNALS FOR EVERYBODY

prspectiv2

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
What a coincidence!

The day after a democratic administration gains four more years, AT&T believes in reaching more customers and improving broadband by investing in infrastructure.

Ars Technica covers this story from a slightly different angle.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Same here with the crappy coverage from AT&T for 4 years. Complained, got partial refunds, got a 3G microcell, no improvement. Calls dropped every. single. day.

No problems since I switched to Verizon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.