PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to move around with iBook

iMatt mini
Sep 10, 2005, 03:28 PM
If I just want to go from my bedroom to my living room, how should I move it, I don't want to close the lid or my internet shuts off but I don't want to leave it open while walking around, so how would I do this?

I know, it's a dumb question. :p

yenko
Sep 10, 2005, 04:04 PM
If I just want to go from my bedroom to my living room, how should I move it, I don't want to close the lid or my internet shuts off but I don't want to leave it open while walking around, so how would I do this?

I know, it's a dumb question. :p

Creative problem solving :D

skubish
Sep 10, 2005, 04:19 PM
well there are only 2 options: leave it open or close it.

What do you me your internet shuts down when put your ibook to sleep?

After G
Sep 10, 2005, 04:40 PM
Put two fingers in between the wrist rest and the top. Close the lid. It should be up enough so that it won't go to sleep, but down enough so that it will decrease the likeliness of damage.

Then carry the iBook with your arm diagonally across the bottom, with it more towards you. If it begins to fall, it will fall towards your chest, and you can move your arm towards you, using your body for support.

Never dropped my iBook doing this. And it never went to sleep.

Or you can just hold it open, with one hand on each side.

dcv
Sep 10, 2005, 04:42 PM
wriggle? crawl? backflip? shake your booty? :D sorry couldnt resist

it doesn't really matter. when you close the lid your ibook will go to sleep so yes your airport connection will also shut off, but it only takes a couple of seconds for it to wake up again. if you're just walking from room to room you don't really need to close it. unless of course you are accident prone...

iMatt mini
Sep 10, 2005, 04:53 PM
wriggle? crawl? backflip? shake your booty? :D sorry couldnt resist

it doesn't really matter. when you close the lid your ibook will go to sleep so yes your airport connection will also shut off, but it only takes a couple of seconds for it to wake up again. if you're just walking from room to room you don't really need to close it. unless of course you are accident prone...
Yes, I'm clumsy. I don't like the idea of moving down/up 2 flights of stairs with an open laptop and I don't want Adium to sign me off, that's the problem.

Josh2022
Sep 10, 2005, 04:55 PM
heres what i would do, get a cardboard box, and put it in that, then carry it down the stairs, so if you drop it, itll be in the box .. I mean, what are the chances, seriously, of you falling down stairs.. lol just take it one step at a time rofl.

tdhurst
Sep 10, 2005, 05:01 PM
Seriously? Sign off ADIUM???
For shame!
You will live for the three minutes your are not online...

dcv
Sep 10, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yes, I'm clumsy. I don't like the idea of moving down/up 2 flights of stairs with an open laptop and I don't want Adium to sign me off, that's the problem.

have a stairlift installed :)

Josh2022
Sep 10, 2005, 05:03 PM
he could be one of thoes addicts who have like 90 days uptime and are like "Awe my gawd i dont wanna sign off"

stevep
Sep 10, 2005, 05:12 PM
Just stay upstairs.
Then email an advert to the classifieds in your local paper, something like:

"For Sale, one flight of stairs, no longer needed. Upstairs now and not coming down."

iEdd
Sep 10, 2005, 05:37 PM
Carry it open, watch where you're walking... Although with the fact you don't want to sign off adium for 3 minutes, I have a feeling you have bad acne, athsma, poor eyesight and are very accident prone :D

iMatt mini
Sep 10, 2005, 09:06 PM
Carry it open, watch where you're walking... Although with the fact you don't want to sign off adium for 3 minutes, I have a feeling you have bad acne, athsma, poor eyesight and are very accident prone :D
Ahh! Stalker!

I'm not saying it's SUCH a bad thing, I'm just asking if there is a way to close the iBook and leave airport on for 5-10 minutes or something. That's all.

tdhurst
Sep 10, 2005, 09:13 PM
Ahh! Stalker!

I'm not saying it's SUCH a bad thing, I'm just asking if there is a way to close the iBook and leave airport on for 5-10 minutes or something. That's all.

Dude, give it up....it's okay to log off now and then.

jsw
Sep 10, 2005, 09:22 PM
I've heard of hacks to allow you to do just that - operate in clamshell mode - but it's bad in terms of heat dissipation, esp. for the iBooks as they dissipate less through the shell than PBs. I agree with the others - either close it (the most reasonable thing) or carry it with a couple of fingers holding the sides apart. If you had to carry it that way, I'd hold it in an inverted 'V' (a '^', I guess) with your fingers holding the sides apart and your palm on the bottom.

jamesW135
Sep 11, 2005, 08:56 AM
Seriously? Sign off ADIUM???
For shame!
You will live for the three minutes your are not online...

I know it's hard but i think you can live.

joecool85
Sep 11, 2005, 09:12 AM
I walk around with my 12" PB wide open all the time, 2 years of having it and I haven't hurt it yet.

tdhurst
Sep 11, 2005, 09:18 AM
This really is one of the most wasteful threads I have seen in a while.

Lazyhound
Sep 11, 2005, 11:24 AM
Yes, think of all the electrons you've squandered.

dornoforpyros
Sep 11, 2005, 11:31 AM
1)Shut down iBook
2)Close Lid (CAREFULLY!!!)
3)Pleace iBook back into box it came in
4)Move iBook and box across room
5)Open box and remove iBook
6)Open iBook up and boot up again
7)Start working again

Seriosly man, the easiest advice (which I assumed was commen sence but I was wrong) is DON'T DROP IT!