Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellojennyfair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I did search the forum before posting and was unable to find something to help, so forgive me if this is the thousandth time you've read this.

I'm using a 2009 white unibody macbook which suddenly won't charge. It's currently running on the power adapter, but the light is not green and the icon says "not charging." I checked the battery's health under "about this mac" and it's reporting normal health.

I'm running OSX 10.7.5, no new updates available. I've tried rebooting, holding the power button down until it shuts down and restarts itself, and I've followed this post (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964) to the T. Still, the battery is not charging, and I'm running on the power adapter.

Any other suggestions?

In March 2012, my charger died, and I knew this to be the case because once the battery was out of juice, it wouldn't even run on the power adapter. I bought a new one. Could this adapter be kaput, even thought it's actually powering the Mac without charging the battery? Or is it more likely the spot where the charger connects (the mag-whatever)?

I ask this because money's tight, and even though it's useful for me to have a second charger, it's not financially responsible at this time for me to buy one if that's not the issue and I'm going to have to replace the mag-whatsit anyway. Thought I'd ask people who are smarter than me before I jumped in.

Also, just in case anyone suggests it, I don't have AppleCare and the nearest Apple Store is an hour away in a direction I never have any need to travel.

Thanks!

SoggyDonuts

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2009 macbook. My charger recently broke in like april and now I have a cheap one. Just recently my computer said that it was running off of AC power and the battery isn't charging, the green and orange lights are nowhere to be seen, but the battery is trickle charged at a few percent per hour. I also don't want to buy another charger to see if it works or to just have it broken in a few more months. I tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC too to no avail.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
im still amaze that my 06 macbook is still breathing and working pretty good

maddymatikz

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Any news on your problem?

Hi,

I've been online for hours trying to find help on my problems with my Macbook too! Although some of the posts were really helpful, nothing really has the same situation as mine except yours.

Have you found out what happened and what you/we need to do to fix our macs? :( I'm getting scared coz the new battery I just bought today is down to it's last 30%. My mac is now on power adapter too but it's still draining the new battery. I tried cleaning the charger port, doing the SMC restart and checking on my magsafe aapter but still no results! :( My charger still doesn't light up, my battery icon still says not charging, my battery health is still normal but it's slowly draining the juice. :(

I hope you found out what needs to be done to resolve our dilemma. *sigh. I'd really hate to sell or trade in my old mac since it still works fine for me. ;(

Good Luck to us and I hope to hear from you! :)

israelmunoz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,

I've been online for hours trying to find help on my problems with my Macbook too! Although some of the posts were really helpful, nothing really has the same situation as mine except yours.

Have you found out what happened and what you/we need to do to fix our macs? :( I'm getting scared coz the new battery I just bought today is down to it's last 30%. My mac is now on power adapter too but it's still draining the new battery. I tried cleaning the charger port, doing the SMC restart and checking on my magsafe aapter but still no results! :( My charger still doesn't light up, my battery icon still says not charging, my battery health is still normal but it's slowly draining the juice. :(

I hope you found out what needs to be done to resolve our dilemma. *sigh. I'd really hate to sell or trade in my old mac since it still works fine for me. ;(

Good Luck to us and I hope to hear from you! :)

Something that comes to my mind, is to try to turn off the mac, and see if it will charge the battery while the mac's not running...

Also, I'd check the voltage and Amps that the charger is giving with a multimeter!

maddymatikz

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
still nothing ;((

Something that comes to my mind, is to try to turn off the mac, and see if it will charge the battery while the mac's not running...

Also, I'd check the voltage and Amps that the charger is giving with a multimeter!

I dunno what else to do. I tried that too but the battery is still going down :( *sigh

israelmunoz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I dunno what else to do. I tried that too but the battery is still going down :( *sigh

Even with the computer off, and connected to AC power it is going down?
Or it only doesn't charge the computer?

Did you use a multimeter to check the charger?

omnimoeish

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Got the same 2009 Macbook Unibody. The Apple care just expired a month ago. Right before it expired the problem stated so I had Apple replace the charging port or whatever. Then it broke again a week ago and we got a new one again (under the 90 day warranty on that part). Now today it broke again! And we have 3 Macbook(Pro)s so we share chargers and that's the only one that keeps breaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.