PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S III dethrones iPhone 4S as smartphone sales champ for Q3 2012

Tarzanman
Nov 8, 2012, 07:38 AM
from http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-dethrones-iphone-4s/

The Galaxy S III has overtaken Apple's iPhone 4S for the first time ever to become the top selling smartphone for Q3 2012, according to Strategy Analytics. Samsung claimed the pole position by shipping 18 million copies of its flagship handset during the quarter, compared to Cupertino's 16.2 million iPhone 4S units. Of course, serendipity is also likely at play, as the iPhone 5 hit shelves towards the end of that period, likely cannibalizing 4S sales -- in fact, the market research firm thinks Apple's new top handset will likely trump Samsung in Q4. That means the Korean giant may have to step up its game, or it'll just be keeping the top spot warm for its arch-competitor.

nba1341
Nov 8, 2012, 08:01 AM
Before trolls come in and say iPhone 5 + 4s sales were > than galaxy s3

Please note that you must include galaxy s2 sales as well.

McGiord
Nov 8, 2012, 08:16 AM
And what about iPhone 5?

aziatiklover
Nov 8, 2012, 08:20 AM
Yea of course on a last year iphone! :rolleyes: now try that with the iphone 5! Oh wait they gonna do it with the s4 sometimes next year!

MonkeySee....
Nov 8, 2012, 08:24 AM
Pointless stat is pointless.

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 09:54 AM
Yea of course on a last year iphone! :rolleyes: now try that with the iphone 5! Oh wait they gonna do it with the s4 sometimes next year!

You are doing "it" right now. The 5 is a lot newer then the S3.

Can I say "oh wait you are gonna do it with the 5S" when the S4 is out way before it?

Timzer
Nov 8, 2012, 10:58 AM
Great news for Sammy. Truly shows all their innovating and taking screen sizes to places where other OEMs wouldn't dare try first is really paying off. Touchwiz is maturing to a point where it is truly improving the user experience. Bravo.

TheHateMachine
Nov 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
Remember when people said that there would never be an android device that outsold any iPhone.

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 12:53 PM
from http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/08/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-dethrones-iphone-4s/

The Galaxy S III has overtaken Apple's iPhone 4S for the first time ever to become the top selling smartphone for Q3 2012, according to Strategy Analytics. Samsung claimed the pole position by shipping 18 million copies of its flagship handset during the quarter, compared to Cupertino's 16.2 million iPhone 4S units. Of course, serendipity is also likely at play, as the iPhone 5 hit shelves towards the end of that period, likely cannibalizing 4S sales -- in fact, the market research firm thinks Apple's new top handset will likely trump Samsung in Q4. That means the Korean giant may have to step up its game, or it'll just be keeping the top spot warm for its arch-competitor.

LOL!

I am an Android fan and had an S3 before my iPhone 5, its an excellent device. However, this is just laughable. They pick the 3 months leading up to the iPhone 5 when no one in their right mind would be buying a 4s to cherry pick these numbers :rolleyes: The iPhone 5 is projected to sell 46 million by Dec, thats 3 months of sales. The S3 won't see anything near those numbers, thanks for playing though.

Timzer
Nov 8, 2012, 01:59 PM
LOL!

I am an Android fan and had an S3 before my iPhone 5, its an excellent device. However, this is just laughable. They pick the 3 months leading up to the iPhone 5 when no one in their right mind would be buying a 4s to cherry pick these numbers :rolleyes: The iPhone 5 is projected to sell 46 million by Dec, thats 3 months of sales. The S3 won't see anything near those numbers, thanks for playing though.

Please show me any other time this has happened in the past. If you don't consider this to be significant then I'm guessing you've drank more than your share of kool aid.

lsvtecjohn3
Nov 8, 2012, 02:08 PM
Like I said in the other thread good job to Samsung. I doubt the'll be able to outsell the iPhone 5 this quarter

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 02:16 PM
Please show me any other time this has happened in the past. If you don't consider this to be significant then I'm guessing you've drank more than your share of kool aid.

A brand new phone outselling a year old phone is far from news. Want to impress me? Lets see the S3 beat the iPhone 5 sales for Q4 :)

Timzer
Nov 8, 2012, 04:59 PM
A brand new phone outselling a year old phone is far from news. Want to impress me? Lets see the S3 beat the iPhone 5 sales for Q4 :)

I'll ask you again, when has any iPhone ever been outsold by any other single phone, regardless of sales quarter? You dismissed the GS3 for outselling the iPhone4S in Q3 and said "LOL." For some reason you feel this is insignificant. You can bet this has Apple's attention.

DanteMann
Nov 8, 2012, 06:18 PM
LOL!

I'm sorry you're so near sighted. This is pretty dang incredible. I cannot believe anyone would consider this as significant.
This iPhone has never and I mean NEVER, been out sold at anytime in the sales cycle. When you take into consideration that the GS3 is one helluva phone, and now that Samsung has been able to prove their phone is just as good or better than the iPhone and at the same time get it into the hands of so many millions of people, they've solidly begun building a real legitimate following. What phone will a lot of the entry to mid level Android users upgrade to later on? You can bet the Galaxy Line will be at the top of their list. The Galaxy S line and Android have become synonymous.

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 06:31 PM
This iPhone has never and I mean NEVER, been out sold at anytime in the sales cycle.

Ummmm, yes it has....

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/12/analyst-motorolas-razr-maxx-outsells-iphone-4s-on-verizon-during-q2/

DeathChill
Nov 8, 2012, 06:33 PM
See, the problem is that these are all numbers from analysts. Analysts who are completely wrong all the time.

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 06:36 PM
See, the problem is that these are all numbers from analysts. Analysts who are completely wrong all the time.

Verizon backed the reports and claimed that the Razr Maxx did indeed outsell the iPhone 4s in Q2 of this year. I remember it because I had a Razr Maxx at the time and thought it was cool.

DanteMann
Nov 8, 2012, 06:42 PM
Ummmm, yes it has....

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/12/analyst-motorolas-razr-maxx-outsells-iphone-4s-on-verizon-during-q2/

Ummm...that's just one carrier. We're talking about overall sales PERIOD. Not just any specific carrier.

DeathChill
Nov 8, 2012, 06:49 PM
Verizon backed the reports and claimed that the Razr Maxx did indeed outsell the iPhone 4s in Q2 of this year. I remember it because I had a Razr Maxx at the time and thought it was cool.

Uh, I'm not sure about that. Verizon never said anything. In fact, I find it hard to believe because there were two iPhone models (4 & 4S) on Verizon, with multiple Android models on Verizon and the iPhone STILL accounted for 45% of sales for the quarter. Unless the Razr Maxx just outsold the hell out of every other Android phone, I'd have a hard time believing it.

cynics
Nov 8, 2012, 06:54 PM
Ummmm, yes it has....

That's just Verizon which version of the iPhone 4S blows (I have one). It doesnt have HSPA+ or LTE obviously so its stuck on Verizon's crappy 3G. It can't do voice and data like AT&T's version. Its no surprise that an LTE phone with 2 radios so it can do voice and data plus a bigger screen and the best battery life would outsell the 4S on VERIZON.

faroZ06
Nov 8, 2012, 06:55 PM
Remember when people said that there would never be an android device that outsold any iPhone.

I'm pretty sure every Android phone outsold the iPhone 1 during the past few years.

michaeljohn
Nov 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
Ummm...that's just one carrier. We're talking about overall sales PERIOD. Not just any specific carrier.

You didn't specify that. You said it had never EVER been outsold at any time in its history. It has and you are wrong.

Timzer
Nov 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
You didn't specify that. You said it had never EVER been outsold at any time in its history. It has and you are wrong.

Actually you're wrong. His statement was based off the article which was not referring to sales of just a single carrier. Don't get snappy at others because you have issues with reading comprehension.

Evoken
Nov 8, 2012, 09:45 PM
Will be interesting to see the results of Q4 with the iPhone 5 sales. It seems that the S3 has continued to sell well in spite of it (they reached 30 million sold already).

mib1800
Nov 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
It is not surprising.

Samsung sold twice as many smartphones as Apple per quarter. S3 is their best selling model.

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 12:44 AM
No surprise, i was SHOCKED when people lined up for the iphone 5

michaeljohn
Nov 9, 2012, 01:33 AM
No surprise, i was SHOCKED when people lined up for the iphone 5

Why? It's the best iPhone yet. I would have been shocked if it didn't sell as it is.

----------

Actually you're wrong. His statement was based off the article which was not referring to sales of just a single carrier. Don't get snappy at others because you have issues with reading comprehension.

Ok, well the S3 is available on T Mobile while the iPhone is not. Who knows how many millions more iPhones would be sold if T Mobile carried it. So again, reports like this are completely useless. Why do so many feel they need to justify their purchase with pointless stats like this?

mib1800
Nov 9, 2012, 01:36 AM
Why? It's the best iPhone yet. I would have been shocked if it didn't sell as it is.

----------

Ok, well the S3 is available on T Mobile while the iPhone is not. Who knows how many millions more iPhones would be sold if T Mobile carried it. So again, reports like this are completely useless. Why do so many feel they need to justify their purchase with pointless stats like this?

I think the data is for the WORLD. ;)

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 01:40 AM
Lol millions more; best iphone ? Nah the best iphone to date is the 4s

michaeljohn
Nov 9, 2012, 01:43 AM
Lol millions more; best iphone ? Nah the best iphone to date is the 4s

The 4s has a smaller screen, no LTE and an inferior processor. Plus the 5 is thinner and lighter. The 4s is nowhere near as good as the 5. Yes millions more. T mobile has over 34 million customers and you can bet a ton of them would buy an iPhone if given the chance.

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 01:45 AM
The 4s has a smaller screen, no LTE and an inferior processor. Plus the 5 is thinner and lighter. The 4s is nowhere near as good as the 5.

Well my 4s does the same stuff you can do on a iphone 5 :) and have better battery life, thinner and lighter ? Not a plus for everyone buddy; and yes the 4s is that good ;)

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 01:46 AM
Btw smaller screen ? Get a grip my friend !

michaeljohn
Nov 9, 2012, 01:48 AM
Well my 4s does the same stuff you can do on a iphone 5 :) and have better battery life, thinner and lighter ? Not a plus for everyone buddy; and yes the 4s is that good ;)

It does it much slower but if it works for you, great.

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 01:52 AM
It does it much slower but if it works for you, great.

Does your iphone 5 stop the time while you touch to open safari ? Phone or take a phone call ? :cool: doubt it, ios6 same ios and wont perform any faster on the iphone 5; you never owned the iphone 4 and 4s :( must have been a terrible year using such slow and clunky device.

michaeljohn
Nov 9, 2012, 02:02 AM
Does your iphone 5 stop the time while you touch to open safari ? Phone or take a phone call ? :cool: doubt it, ios6 same ios and wont perform any faster on the iphone 5; you never owned the iphone 4 and 4s :( must have been a terrible year using such slow and clunky device.

Do you really just not know or are you trolling? The A6 processor in the iphone 5 is over twice as fast as the A5 processor in the 4s. Look up any benchmark and the iPhone 5 easily beats the 4s in any test.

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 02:06 AM
Do you really just not know or are you trolling? The A6 processor in the iphone 5 is over twice as fast as the A5 processor in the 4s. Look up any benchmark and the iPhone 5 easily beats the 4s in any test.

I could care less about benchmark lol it will be perform and handle ios the same way because the damm thing is the same ! My ipad 2 still works and perform the same as any of the new ipad yet is lighter and thinner :D

Did you really care for benchmark or you just making excuses ? Last year or before there was no talk about it regarding iphones yet now is something big.

Ps. Love the desperate "trolling" comment ;)

Ice-Cube
Nov 9, 2012, 04:15 AM
Actually I'm kinda happy. iPhones has became too mainstream. I still remember the days where only a few of us were using iPhones in 2007, happy days.

SlCKB0Y
Nov 9, 2012, 05:24 AM
Ummmm, yes it has....

Motorola’s RAZR MAXX Outsells iPhone 4S on Verizon During Q2

and only in the US

The original article was dealing with worldwide numbers.

This is just like how the iPad mini has a relatively low res screen, all the iOS fans suddenly don't care about screen res. That's after years of them trumpeting on about the Retina display in all of it's glory. The Nexus 7 having a much higher PPI is "no big deal" or "in reality you can't really tell the difference".

For a while now the combined sales of all Android phones has been greater than iPhone. All the iPhone users announce that "it doesn't matter, as that's dozens of phones, no single Android phone will ever get near the iPhone numbers".

Now an Android phone gets greater quarterly numbers than iPhone and the iPhone users chant in unison "what do the analysts know" or "it's not a fair comparison because the 4S is so old".

Talk about moving the goal post mid-game.

hyteckit
Nov 9, 2012, 05:33 AM
Actually I'm kinda happy. iPhones has became too mainstream. I still remember the days where only a few of us were using iPhones in 2007, happy days.

Damn. Galaxy is no longer cool. Everyone including their dads and moms now have one.

Galaxy users are now just a bunch of sheeps waiting in line for their phones.

Vitrum
Nov 9, 2012, 05:37 AM
Damn. Galaxy is no longer cool. Everyone including their dads and moms now have one.

Galaxy users are now just a bunch of sheeps waiting in line for their phones.

Lee Byung chull rolling in hes grave :(

Tarzanman
Nov 9, 2012, 07:35 AM

Lol. millions of iphones on Tmobile? Umm, no. T-mobile is the smallest carrier and the users there are not hurting for iphones. Anyone who wants one would have already switched to AT&T or bought a used one some time in the past 3 or 4 years

VulchR
Nov 9, 2012, 09:06 AM

http://www.win-vector.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sneetches.jpg

michaeljohn
Nov 9, 2012, 12:00 PM
Lol. millions of iphones on Tmobile? Umm, no. T-mobile is the smallest carrier and the users there are not hurting iphones

That's what everyone said about Sprint, you wanna take a guess how many Sprint users now have iPhones? I'll give you a clue, it's well into the millions. T Mobile has over 34 million customers and you can bet a fair share of them would love an iPhone. So yes, it would be millions more.

Tarzanman
Nov 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
That's what everyone said about Sprint, you wanna take a guess how many Sprint users now have iPhones? I'll give you a clue, it's well into the millions. T Mobile has over 34 million customers and you can bet a fair share of them would love an iPhone. So yes, it would be millions more.

Nice try.

from Sprint Q2 2012 Earnings: Net Loss Widens To $1.4B, 1.5M iPhones Sold (http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/26/sprint-q2-2012-earnings-net-loss-widens-to-1-4b-1-5m-iphones-sold/)

1.5 million (singular) as of the end of Q2. Meaning that the most they would have as of Q3 is probably around 2 million.

Seeing has how T-mobile is smaller than Sprint and that you can already use an iPhone on t-mobile... they would most probably sell less than half what sprint did.

Argue if you want, but I have had T-mobile for the past 6 years.

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
I could care less about benchmark lol it will be perform and handle ios the same way because the damm thing is the same ! My ipad 2 still works and perform the same as any of the new ipad yet is lighter and thinner :D

Did you really care for benchmark or you just making excuses ? Last year or before there was no talk about it regarding iphones yet now is something big.

Ps. Love the desperate "trolling" comment ;)

Dude, the iPhone 5 is better than the 4S. It's an indisputable fact.

Vitrum
Nov 10, 2012, 08:17 AM
Dude, the iPhone 5 is better than the 4S. It's an indisputable fact.

Yet they do the same thing ;) whe all know the iphone 5 have better specs lol you and the other guy seem to think i dont know that :eek: the indisputable fact is that they handle the os same way :cool:

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 08:27 AM
Yet they do the same thing ;) whe all know the iphone 5 have better specs lol you and the other guy seem to think i dont know that :eek: the indisputable fact is that they handle the os same way :cool:

Yeah, a Mercedes and a Mazda both do the same thing too...

cynics
Nov 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
I have to admit...after using my friends 5 extensively the only thing I personally noticed was screen size. I'm sure the screen looks better in a lab and LTE is insanely fast in speedtest but I could not justify switch too it from my 4S.

The weight went both ways. It didn't feel like it was as high of quality (I'm sure it is). But it was lighter in the hand, I don't consider the 4S cumbersome though.

I couldn't notice processes happening any faster. Apps open quick on my 4S, at least the apps I use.

Now that I think about it. It felt like building an amazing gaming rig but running windows 3.11 on it. The OS just doesn't have the mass to justify that hardware.

Don't get me wrong. If I were to need a new iPhone because mine got lost or stolen I'd only consider the 5 because it is indeed better. But I'm perfectly content with my 4S currently.

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 08:33 AM
I have to admit...after using my friends 5 extensively the only thing I personally noticed was screen size. I'm sure the screen looks better in a lab and LTE is insanely fast in speedtest but I could not justify switch too it from my 4S.

The weight went both ways. It didn't feel like it was as high of quality (I'm sure it is). But it was lighter in the hand, I don't consider the 4S cumbersome though.

I couldn't notice processes happening any faster. Apps open quick on my 4S, at least the apps I use.

Now that I think about it. It felt like building an amazing gaming rig but running windows 3.11 on it. The OS just doesn't have the mass to justify that hardware.

Don't get me wrong. If I were to need a new iPhone because mine got lost or stolen I'd only consider the 5 because it is indeed better. But I'm perfectly content with my 4S currently.

The iPhone 5 is better than the 4S in every way, but I agree, the software is definitely holding it back at this point.

Vitrum
Nov 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah, a Mercedes and a Mazda both do the same thing too...

When you choke learn to keep it cool :cool: theres no reason to make a fool of yourself with post like that.

Say NO to the kool-aid

----------

Exactly.

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
When you choke learn to keep it cool :cool: theres no reason to make a fool of yourself with post like that.

Say NO to the kool-aid.

Are you saying the iPhone 4S is the better phone or that you personally see no reason to upgrade?

Vitrum
Nov 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Are you saying the iPhone 4S is the better phone or that you personally see no reason to upgrade?

No reason to upgrade, the iphone 5 is the worst upgrade of all iphones.

michaeljohn
Nov 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Nice try.

from Sprint Q2 2012 Earnings: Net Loss Widens To $1.4B, 1.5M iPhones Sold (http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/26/sprint-q2-2012-earnings-net-loss-widens-to-1-4b-1-5m-iphones-sold/)

1.5 million (singular) as of the end of Q2. Meaning that the most they would have as of Q3 is probably around 2 million.

Seeing has how T-mobile is smaller than Sprint and that you can already use an iPhone on t-mobile... they would most probably sell less than half what sprint did.

Argue if you want, but I have had T-mobile for the past 6 years.

You read that wrong. it says "The company says it sold 1.5 million iPhones in the quarter". That's in just that one quarter. You can bet they sold more when it was brand new in Q4 of 2011 and Q1 2012. Then another million or so Q3. Even if it were just a million each quarter, that would be over 4 million sold so far. T mobile has over 34 million customers and you can bet at least a few million of them would get iPhones. So as I said, if it were on t mobile, it would have millions more sold. Thanks for playing

----------

Yea, a bigger screen, the addition of LTE and a processor that's over twice as fast is a terrible upgrade. LOL :rolleyes:

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 10:22 AM

Okay, so I'm pretty sure you can't be serious now.

Vitrum
Nov 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Okay, so I'm pretty sure you can't be serious now.

Im very serious.

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Im very serious.

Uh huh. So the 4S->5 is a worser upgrade than the 2G->3G? It's tied with the 4 for being the best update yet, I'd argue it's better...

Vitrum
Nov 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
You read that wrong. it says "The company says it sold 1.5 million iPhones in the quarter". That's in just that one quarter. You can bet they sold more when it was brand new in Q4 of 2011 and Q1 2012. Then another million or so Q3. Even if it were just a million each quarter, that would be over 4 million sold so far. T mobile has over 34 million customers and you can bet at least a few million of them would get iPhones. So as I said, if it were on t mobile, it would have millions more sold. Thanks for playing

----------

Yea, a bigger screen, the addition of LTE and a processor that's over twice as fast is a terrible upgrade. LOL :rolleyes:

LTE sure if its available :eek: maybe the usa is not the only country in the world ? A processor twice as fast and "bigger" screen yet not use for any of those :( such a awesome upgrade lol

Its amazing how the kool-aid works, last year none of these was important but now is the best thing ever :rolleyes: keep justifying your "big" upgrade.

----------

Uh huh. So the 4S->5 is a worser upgrade than the 2G->3G? It's tied with the 4 for being the best update yet, I'd argue it's better...

Nope, both do the same :) the iphone 5 brought nothing new to the table.

zbarvian
Nov 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
LTE sure if its available :eek: maybe the usa is not the only country in the world ? A processor twice as fast and "bigger" screen yet not use for any of those :( such a awesome upgrade lol

Its amazing how the kool-aid works, last year none of these was important but now is the best thing ever :rolleyes: keep justifying your "big" upgrade.

----------

Nope, both do the same :) the iphone 5 brought nothing new to the table.

You're impossible. So if the iPhone 5 had some exclusive software feature like Siri, then and only then would it be a worthy upgrade? Because it seems that no hardware improvements can appease you.

Vitrum
Nov 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
You're impossible. So if the iPhone 5 had some exclusive software feature like Siri, then and only then would it be a worthy upgrade? Because it seems that no hardware improvements can appease you.

You need to understand that hardware means nothing when the os cant do anything with it, Jon Ivey is taking part of the ios team so next year i have big hopes for ios7 :)

Im not impossible :p

cynics
Nov 10, 2012, 10:59 AM

I can slightly agree with that. I think the only software upgrade the 4S is missing is a photo while doing video.

I think in the next iOS the 5 will pull ahead software wise and it will make me want it. However that will probably be when the next iPhone is introduced I guess. If so then I'd rather have that then the 5.