PDA

View Full Version : Clear for Mac Launches With Lower Price Through Monday

MacRumors
Nov 8, 2012, 10:15 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/clear-for-mac-launches-with-lower-price-for-one-day-only/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage7.png
Last week, RealMac announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/popular-to-do-app-clear-coming-to-mac-with-icloud-syncing/) that its popular to-do app Clear was coming to the Mac, complete with iCloud syncing between the iOS and desktop clients. However, a number of commenters (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1480175) expressed concern with the planned $14.99 price point for the app.

RealMac Software has heard those voices (http://realmacsoftware.com/blog/introducing-clear-for-mac-s-introductory-price) and priced Clear for Mac at $6.99 through Monday (https://twitter.com/UseClear/status/266520397573398528), and then $9.99 for some amount of time after that. Eventually, the price will rise to the planned $14.99.

Clear for Mac is currently $6.99 (http://appshopper.com/mac/productivity/clear) on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id504544917?mt=12)]

Clear for iPhone is $1.99 (http://appshopper.com/productivity/clear) on the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id493136154?mt=8)]

Article Link: Clear for Mac Launches With Lower Price Through Monday (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/clear-for-mac-launches-with-lower-price-for-one-day-only/)

MacDawg
Nov 8, 2012, 10:19 AM
Nice app and interface
Totally and completely overpriced, even at the entry point

deannnnn
Nov 8, 2012, 10:22 AM
The launch day price is still $5 too high. I'll pass.

KevinMHC
Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 AM
whats so good about this app? it looks hella ugly and it works like any other typical to do app

Corrode
Nov 8, 2012, 10:31 AM
Is it just me or does the Reminders app for iOS/Mac do the exact same thing for free?

farmermac
Nov 8, 2012, 10:37 AM
How is this any better then notes? Notes interface is even better and free

Snookerman
Nov 8, 2012, 10:42 AM
So to get syncing, which is a feature they market heavily for this app, you need to pay for both the OS X version and the iOS version? That's $9* for something that reminders does for free.

*Edit: unless you buy it later, in which case it's $17...

Simplicated
Nov 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
This app is severely lacking in features. I still wonder how it's gained that much traction and attention.

petrucci666
Nov 8, 2012, 10:49 AM
Is it just me or does the Reminders app for iOS/Mac do the exact same thing for free?

You're right, it does. I used Clear on my iPhone but realized this can done with the Reminders app which also has time/location alerts. Much better and built right in so no need for this app. Plus it's completely overpriced!

BrockC
Nov 8, 2012, 10:56 AM
I cannot believe they ever asked $14.99 for this app. That's pretty insane if you ask me. Reminders works just fine for me. :p

emt1
Nov 8, 2012, 10:58 AM
MacRumors was obviously paid to post this.

DJAKO
Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 AM
MacRumors was obviously paid to post this.

You're a fool if you believe that.

ichris2
Nov 8, 2012, 11:03 AM
Show me a business model that starts off with a low price and gradually raises it on a product with unlimited supply?

I tried this app...the interface sucks. It's easy to accidentally move and delete items.

As previously mentioned the the native Apple app does what this one does for free and better.

niewiesznic
Nov 8, 2012, 11:18 AM
17$ ? 6$ at lower price. Forget about it.
I use Clear for iOS, but I will move to native iOS app, because of location service.
Also, Clear for iOS is not working with my iCloud, saying documents is not enabled, or iCloud is not enabled. It is enabled.
The app is only for 10.8.2. I wont buy 10.8 until next year when it would be safe to move my pro apps to this system, many users will do the same.
On the other hand, I wish native iOS app would have the interface of Clear or Clear with location service.

QCassidy352
Nov 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
Overpriced! You get so much more with 2do. And maybe someday apple will make reminders even somewhat competitive...

dav146
Nov 8, 2012, 11:23 AM
I use this app all the time on my phone.

I have paid for the version for my macbook - so now my missus can update the shopping list on the fly and I can ensure that I get everything she is after without the need for a dozen phonecalls while i am in Tesco / Asda.

It has its uses for me - so I bought it.

kralnor
Nov 8, 2012, 11:30 AM
This app is severely lacking in features. I still wonder how it's gained that much traction and attention.

It meets all the criteria for success in Mac/iOS land

1. It looks pretty
2. It is way too expensive
3. It has a cool sounding name that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the app's function
4. It's lacking many features of the competition

TypeEE
Nov 8, 2012, 11:39 AM
You can tell this app paid top notch for marketing. It went to top download on iOS when no one knows what it is, then it sank to no where after 2 weeks in the app store chart. When they release the mac version, they again pay different website to market their app.

CodeBreaker
Nov 8, 2012, 11:44 AM
My free setup which is everything I need:

On iOS: Siri + Reminders
^ ^ ^ ^
| | | |
iCloud
| | | |
v v v v
On OS X: Reminders + a little app I made to quickly add Reminders (which works with Dictation)

JAT
Nov 8, 2012, 12:18 PM
I use this app all the time on my phone.

I have paid for the version for my macbook - so now my missus can update the shopping list on the fly and I can ensure that I get everything she is after without the need for a dozen phonecalls while i am in Tesco / Asda.

It has its uses for me - so I bought it.

You think an app will "fix" your woman?

firewood
Nov 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
Other than look nicer, what does Clear do that Reminders doesn't?

Xano
Nov 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
Pricing it is always tricky for a company on software development.
Even simple and minimalist apps are tricky to build.
So i will not judge the work behind it, I believe there is a lot of work and the staff need to be paid.

The main questions here is; "i will not pay $6.99 for an app who don't offer nothing new."

Give us something really new, because already exist much (better/functionality) and free in the app store.
Why I should pay when I already have better options out here?

At the moment (like millions of Mac users), I became very selective on my purchases.

Think about it!

/V\acpower
Nov 8, 2012, 12:58 PM
At 6.99$ the app is already way too expensive. 2.99$ max for an app like that.

I have the app on my iPhone, eventually uninstalled it. Really reminders is enough for me.

k2director
Nov 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
Reminders is very clunky, interface wise.

REMINDERS IPHONE:

* Reminders can't re-arrange the order of tasks without hitting the "Edit" button first. Then you can drag your tasks around, and then have to hit the "Done" button. Three clicks minimum to rearrange the order of a task, while Clear does it in one single click.

* Reminders "+" button is not very responsive (to add a new task). Often, I have to hit it a couple times to get it to create a new task entry. Clear does this with a simple, reliable drag of your thumb.

* Reminders places all new tasks at the bottom of your list, but when you launch the app, it shows you the top of your list, so you can't see the tasks you just entered until scrolling down. Clear enters new tasks at the top of the list, where you can see them and decide how to order them without unnecessary scrolling. Also, Clear lets you insert a new task at any position in a task list with a simple reverse-pinch. With Reminders, it takes several steps to do that.

REMINDERS MAC

Similar differences between the desktop apps as well. Plus, Reminders Desktop doesn't sync immediately with the iPhone app. You sometimes have to quit Reminders and then relaunch to make it sync. We'll see how the Clear Mac app does on the synching account...

THE ONLY advantage Reminders has over its competition, in my view, is that you can speak Reminders/Remembers right into Siri. Wish Apple would let other developers use that functionality.

syd430
Nov 8, 2012, 01:30 PM

I don't use clear but I will say that Reminders is POS. Try using the monstrosity that is the Reminders web app (iCloud) if you use windows. It's the most ugly POS you will come across (its literally the ios app blown up to fit your monitor) with even less functionality than the crippled ill-thought-out ios version. It's embarrassingly laughable.

IMO the only 2 serious contenders are RTM (if you need access via a windows browser), or Things if you use mac.

Omnifocus is also only worth it if youre hardcore about strict GTC, which I and most other normal people are not.

blastair
Nov 8, 2012, 02:14 PM
I started using Clear for iOS right after it came out, and it has become part of my workflow for certain tasks. If I need something shared, geo-fenced, or tied to a date, I use Reminders. But Clear is a fun way to manage more of my daily to-do's without the clutter.

That said, I really like Clear for Mac. I initially wasn't planning on buying it, but the $6.99 price caused me to change my mind. If you don't already use Clear for iPhone, the Mac counterpart is pointless. It's fun to use, in my opinion, but only because I already have a workflow established with the iPhone version.

mazz0
Nov 8, 2012, 02:15 PM
This app is more useful on iOS devices (because of the portability), that's probably why it came out for them first. Given that, why should it cost more on Mac.

extricated
Nov 8, 2012, 02:23 PM
I use clear for IOS. Not a ton, but I do use it.
Very smooth, intuitive interface. Great for managing small lists.

That said, $6.99 for a Mac version? No thanks.

iCloud syncing was a good move. Shared reminders/lists will be a high point if they ever implement it.

WilliamLondon
Nov 8, 2012, 04:02 PM
Just curious to know how it compares to Wunderlist (which is free on iOS and OS X), I've just started using it and it seems pretty good. Clear would have to be pretty damn good to get me to buy something, unless I'm missing something.

japasneezemonk
Nov 8, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Clear is ugly as *****. I have the iOS app and have come to the conclusion that it must have been designed by an underwhelmed High School art student. The app is great if you want to look at an active range of hues, otherwise, keep away.

----------

Just curious to know how it compares to Wunderlist (which is free on iOS and OS X), I've just started using it and it seems pretty good. Clear would have to be pretty damn good to get me to buy something, unless I'm missing something.

IMO, you are better off with wunderlist. Clear is just a simple list app with no context. Some people like it b/c its so plain with no cruft, but the Receding hue UI kills me.

knucklehead
Nov 8, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Clear is ugly as *****. I have the iOS app and have come to the conclusion that it must have been designed by an underwhelmed High School art student. The app is great if you want to look at an active range of hues, otherwise, keep away.

----------

IMO, you are better off with wunderlist. Clear is just a simple list app with no context. Some people like it b/c its so plain with no cruft, but the Receding hue UI kills me.

The things that set some people off never cease to amaze me!

If you're so deeply offended by the "receding hue UI", why not just go to the Themes setting and select Cloudy ... you problems will be over. :rolleyes:

Eso
Nov 8, 2012, 08:32 PM
Eventually, the price will rise to the planned $14.99.

I doubt it.

TuffLuffJimmy
Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 AM
I doubt it.

I bet you're right. They are probably threatening to raise the price simply to get people to buy their app. The iPhone version sure is great though. It's the first Todo app I've been able to get into and I've tried everything and spent too much money (all versions of Things, Omnifocus, and many others).

japasneezemonk
Nov 9, 2012, 12:35 AM
The things that set some people off never cease to amaze me!

Ditto :rolleyes:

If you're so deeply offended by the "receding hue UI", why not just go to the Themes setting and select Cloudy ... you problems will be over. :rolleyes:

I'm not offended, that would be either goofy or ridiculous. Can't decide which...

My vision deficiency aside, a receding hue only makes sense if you want to quickly glance your upcoming tasks but not review daily tasks. plus, the receding hue makes the tasks near the bottom subconsciously invisible. Wunderlist is a task and project manager, much like Omnifocus, etc... Clear is just a simple to do list.

You mentioned the cloudy theme, I don't see it. All I have is heat map, graphite, princess, lucky clover, and theme noir.

I'm not saying the app doesn't work for you or many other people. Just personally, I think it's an eyesore. That's my opinion.

Glassed Silver
Nov 9, 2012, 02:08 AM

Yep, also:

Siri integration
Probably gonna stick around longer
More advanced (that's quite something, if your product doesn't exceed on-board tools)

Glassed Silver:mac

digitalove
Nov 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
sorry my ignorance but how icloud works?
i just downloaded clear on my mac+iphone, enabled i cloud and i didn't even need to login somewhere and icloud sync just works across my devices :O

Gala
Nov 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
I don't think everyone really gets Clear. I don't view it as a To Do app like AnyDo & Producteev or a GTD app like Omnifocus, Things, and 2Do. It's not even a Reminders app like Apples own. Comparing it to those is unfair.

IMO it's a List app. You can't set reminders or schedule anything on it but if you need to make lists frequently its perfect. There is no clutter, there is no switching between list or date mode, and there is no searching for your lists.

I've used Omnifocus, Things, 2Do, Reminders, Producteev and AnyDo. With all my tasks in one place I could never enter a grocery list easily and find it correctly on the app. Now I use Producteeve (because it's free on iOS, Mac, Web, & Android) for my work tasks but use Clear for all my Lists (Shopping, Party, Books, Apps etc.)

PS - Reminders location based reminders never seemed to work for me anyways. Maybe it's my area or maybe it's just cause I have Sprint.:rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac
Nov 13, 2012, 08:12 AM
Disappointed that I attempted last night to buy the program at $6 and found the price had already been raised to $10.... Did not buy it....