PDA

View Full Version : Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support

MacRumors
Nov 8, 2012, 01:59 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/pixelmator-adds-new-color-profile-management-and-cmyk-support/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/pixelmator.jpgPixelmator, which was recently name-checked by Phil Schiller during the iPad mini media event, has updated its image editing software (http://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2012/11/08/color-perfect-pixelmator-2-1-3/) to include CMYK support, as well as a new feature called "Soft Proofing" that allows users to apply different color profiles to images in order to get a better idea of what the image will look like in the real world.
In the digital world, colors can be defined in many ways, and when it comes to precision, a feature called Soft Proofing comes in handy. Soft Proofing lets you quickly apply different color profiles to your images so you can get an idea of how the outcome, such as the printed image, might look. That's right, CMYK lovers, now you can preview and work in CMYK colors.

On top of that, thanks to the sRGB standard, the image colors inside Pixelmator will also look better. The sRGB color standard is widely used on most devices you come across every day, such as digital cameras, scanners, or even your iPhone. This means that the colors of images you edit in Pixelmator will look absolutely perfect outside Pixelmator and across all of your Apple devices.-P6KN6Sqbvs
Pixelmator is available (http://appshopper.com/mac/graphics-design/pixelmator) on the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id407963104?mt=12)]

Article Link: Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/pixelmator-adds-new-color-profile-management-and-cmyk-support/)

Sean4000
Nov 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
My dream has come true. CMYK support at long last!!!!

The last reason for me to use photoshop has been nullified. We can finally leave PS behind at long last.

My Company, Visual Electric Co., will save thousands of dollars on licenses Adobe will now lose out on. We're tired of paying out the nose for Photoshop. Amen for competition.

This will be a day long remembered.

bruinselmann
Nov 8, 2012, 02:13 PM
This application is just fantastic, and a shining example of how successful an app can be when it's priced properly. This, for a lot of users, has replaced Photoshop, for God's sake - and it's just $30!

Now, if only they were to release an iOS version... :o

BornAgainMac
Nov 8, 2012, 02:22 PM
CMYK support. I don't know what that means but I like it.

Jamieserg
Nov 8, 2012, 02:26 PM
Recently started using pixelmator to replace photoshop CS4. Haven't looked back. brilliant app. brilliant price.

extricated
Nov 8, 2012, 02:28 PM
This application is just fantastic, and a shining example of how successful an app can be when it's priced properly. This, for a lot of users, has replaced Photoshop, for God's sake - and it's just $30!

I've wondered about picking it up. CMYK support is great to hear.
Does anyone else out there think it's a viable alternative to Photoshop?

kevinfulton.ca
Nov 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
CMYK support. I don't know what that means but I like it.

Web and video use RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color standards while print uses CYMK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK). Not a big deal if your editing for digital uses, but this was one of the last pieces needed for me to cut my Photoshop ties. At least for home use.

coder12
Nov 8, 2012, 02:35 PM
They've been great with updates lately, I love the retina support, and CMYK is just icing on the cake :cool:

gnurf
Nov 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
I

It's at least an alternative to the Lite edition. I'm no artist, but I have some print material that could benefit now. Pixelmator will continue to get my attention if it keeps improving like this :)

Johnf1285
Nov 8, 2012, 02:40 PM
I love Pixelmator it's the best app I use it suites my needs from a web design standpoint wonderfully. A great Photoshop replacement. Wonder if they'll ever consider an Illustrator type of app?

iLuvMyMacToo
Nov 8, 2012, 02:42 PM
Great news! I recently went to Pixelmator because PS is getting way to expensive to maintain every time Adobe decides to update... er upgrade.. it. I've done most of my recent designs with Pixelmator and CMYK support is just what I wanted.

kevinfulton.ca
Nov 8, 2012, 02:44 PM

It's a BIG time viable alternative, but it depends on your needs. I'd say it rests comfortably between PS Elements and PS. If all you need is the core PS features (masking, brushes, color replace etc.) then you'll love this app. If you need Layer Styles, Actions, or want to rotoscope a video clip then you'll need to buck up the big bucks for the full version of PS. For under $50 it's worth it just to check it out. Chances are you'll still use it for simpler tasks, because once you get used to the UI (it takes a little bit) you'll be blown away by how fast it is.

scottrichardson
Nov 8, 2012, 02:44 PM
Give us non destructive layer styles, adjustment styles, and I'll switch tomorrow.

andyone
Nov 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
Now if only Pages would finally support CMYK...

Michaelgtrusa
Nov 8, 2012, 03:31 PM
Love it! updated went well.

MacDav
Nov 8, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hmm...Might give it a try. I use Photoshop for just about everything related to Photos and creative changes.

CrickettGrrrl
Nov 8, 2012, 04:09 PM
I totally, absolutely LOVE this app! Going to download the update now, yay! I prefer it to PhotoShop now, ---just doodling or quickly laying out an idea even, just more fluid than PS. Every update is icing on the cake.

Exotic-Car Man
Nov 8, 2012, 04:11 PM
Now if only my color printer printed that quickly...:rolleyes:

CrickettGrrrl
Nov 8, 2012, 04:23 PM
I love Pixelmator it's the best app I use it suites my needs from a web design standpoint wonderfully. A great Photoshop replacement. Wonder if they'll ever consider an Illustrator type of app?

Try iDraw, it's in the Mac App Store, and looks a lot like Pixelmator. I've been using it to do vector tutorials from Vector tuts+. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is still viable, and wonderfully fluid.

----------

Go to PXM-Tuts.com and check out the lessons there. I use both Photoshop and Pixelmator, and Pixelmator has become my first choice for doodling ideas & beyond, it's just great. The developers have been issuing a lot of updates with added features. Show some love and maybe we'll get some layer styles, & other goodies too. Pixelmator does a lot stuff that Photoshop does, but somewhat differently. Do some of the tuts online and it's easy to get the hang of it, so fluid to Mac. Feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

Razeus
Nov 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
Still no 16-bit editing support????:(

r.harris1
Nov 8, 2012, 04:38 PM
Still no 16-bit editing support????:(

Considering at one point the developers said they weren't ever going to deliver CMYK (at least in my memory reading their forums), my guess is that 16-bit will happen at least reasonably soon. :)

mrsir2009
Nov 8, 2012, 05:06 PM

Sure has :) It was a good alternative to Photoshop for me, as it has everything I need (and a lot more) and it's at a reasonable price. No wonder everyone pirates Photoshop when it costs over $500...

sylwiusz
Nov 8, 2012, 05:25 PM
Well, actually the other Photoshop alternative - Photoline, had been CMYK-compatible for many years. Not such a eye candy but I think it is still closer to Photoshop in terms of features, than Pixelmator. You can download trial at http://pl32.com/

Yvan256
Nov 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'd love to see 15-bit, 16-bit and 18-bit color reduction (with dithering options), because not all LCDs are 24-bit.

I'm also wondering if their Web slicing tools have improved since the last time I tried the demo version.

baryon
Nov 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
It's great to have a well-priced, modern and minimalistic application like this in a world where Photoshop is pretty much the only pixel editor out there. Adobe has a lot to learn from them!

On the other hand, Photoshop has so many features that it's nearly impossible to replace it for someone who needs things like Scripting, Smart Objects, Adjustment Layers, etc. Photoshop is fantastic, but it's important to have a solid alternative and know that you don't need Photoshop unless you need some quite specific things.

Zmijutin
Nov 8, 2012, 05:41 PM
Awesome update, but im still wating for HDR editing. Still not Adobe free OSX :((

Truffy
Nov 9, 2012, 01:31 AM
CMYK was one of the last big 'gotchas' for Pixelmator compared to PS. Granted, it doesn't do a lot of the 'high-end' stuff like video editing or HDR, but I've always thought that those were bloat added to PS anyway, especially video.

I haven't installed PS since my last system reinstall, and now I think PM may be all that I need.

Try iDraw, it's in the Mac App Store, and looks a lot like Pixelmator. I've been using it to do vector tutorials from Vector tuts+. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is still viable, and wonderfully fluid.

iDraw doesn't have a demo version, does it? I've kinda been looking at that and Sketch to replace AI. Unfortunately, my major use for AI these days requires EPS/CMYK support.

4D4M
Nov 9, 2012, 02:22 AM
So we have Pixelmator for Photoshop and iDraw for Illustrator (Does iDraw do CMYK?) plus Coda/BBEdit for Dreamweaver.

Now somebody give me an alternative for InDesign that ISN'T Quark and I'll be seriously considering kicking all the buggy Adobe CS bloatware off my Mac!

CrickettGrrrl
Nov 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
iDraw doesn't have a demo version, does it? I've kinda been looking at that and Sketch to replace AI. Unfortunately, my major use for AI these days requires EPS/CMYK support.

Here is the link to Indeeo's iDraw features:
http://www.indeeo.com/idraw/mac.html

You can import EPS files, iDraw has a CMYK palette; and no --doesn't look like they offer a Demo.

Manderby
Nov 9, 2012, 06:06 AM
CMYK-support: not bad :)

but wait... generic CMYK? :confused:

Well, hold on a second... Widely used as a printing standard color profile? :eek:

Ok. No replacement for PS. :(

Truffy
Nov 9, 2012, 06:30 AM
You can import EPS files
Thanks, but unfortunately it's EPS export that I need :(

tardegrade
Nov 9, 2012, 06:31 AM
Has Hell suddenly frozen over?

The developers had said that CMYK just wasn't on their roadmap. They had no intention of supporting it at any time as far as I can recall.

This is seriously great news! It makes Pixelmator just about perfect for my needs now. Well done guys! :)

I WAS the one
Nov 9, 2012, 07:16 AM
I Will buy it, try it and if it really works. I will be happy to know that my days of paying thousands of dollars for CMYK export and image corrections are over. Thanx Pixelmator! (Thx God I didn't buy CS6 yet!)

I WAS the one
Nov 9, 2012, 07:41 AM
somebody give me an alternative for InDesign that ISN'T Quark and I'll be seriously considering kicking all the buggy Adobe CS bloatware off my Mac!

Swift Publisher (http://www.belightsoft.com/products/swiftpublisher/overview.php). Seriously give it a try for free first.

----------

The New CS7 (Cheap Suit 7)

Pixelmator
iDraw
Espresso
Swift publisher

Less than $200 for a Professional set of tools!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ikir
Nov 9, 2012, 08:41 AM
Italian translation finally! Thanks :cool:

Kwill
Nov 9, 2012, 10:10 AM
With lack of CMYK support, I have always viewed Pixelmator as eye candy, a graphic artist's toy. I bought. I launch it occasionally. But I use Photoshop. With this upgrade, Pixelmator has now become worthy of closer examination.

My next question is whether it recognizes embedded color profiles (like Adobe RGB-1998).

colinwil
Nov 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
plus Coda/BBEdit for Dreamweaver

And Flux 4. It's been receiving updates recently too, and I'm liking and using it more & more

Truffy
Nov 9, 2012, 11:48 AM
CMYK-support: not bad :)

but wait... generic CMYK? :confused:

Well, hold on a second... Widely used as a printing standard color profile? :eek:

Ok. No replacement for PS. :(
I didn't realise the CMYK support was limited to soft-proofing. You cannot set the colour space of the document :(

firewood
Nov 9, 2012, 12:33 PM
So when is the iPad version of Pixelmator coming out? :)

Pakaku
Nov 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
Still has that terrible black UI. Looks like a mod is in order :rolleyes:

Anonymouse106
Nov 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
Awesome! Just needs layer styles and then I'm super happy!

Drag'nGT
Nov 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Can I put in a request for panoramic photo stitching?

mixel
Nov 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
really nice update!

Its getting there. It'd need full compatibility with PS layer effects and much better natural media support (and probably a few more things I can't think of) for me to be able to consider replacing PS with it.. But it's still very impressive!

kd5jos
Nov 11, 2012, 05:58 PM

I use lynda.com for tutorials. I love Deke's Techniques. I use those to practice on Pixelmator. The techniques are designed to teach how to use the advanced features of Photoshop. So far I've been able to do 15 of them. I have on occasion had to figure out a replacement technique, but I've had good results.

Michaelgtrusa
Nov 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
Can I put in a request for panoramic photo stitching?

On the website you can.

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 11, 2012, 10:35 PM
Awesome update, but im still wating for HDR editing. Still not Adobe free OSX :((
You want the “Adobe free” OS X for what?

The equivalent to the “Adobe free” OS X is a “Dell free” PC-market.

iLOL

Zmijutin
Nov 12, 2012, 03:29 AM

iLOL

thats just my thing. But i dont like how photoshop has couple of icons in applications folder instead of just one.

turtlez
Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
good to see where this app is going but still not enough to make the switch from PS.

definitive
Nov 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
so how do i use the cmyk feature and save jpegs to cmyk?

i tried through view > generic or ps5 cmyk and then saved as jpeg, but it opens as rgb in photoshop cs4.

Renzatic
Nov 12, 2012, 10:43 AM

iLOL

Yup. What's up with the Adobe hate amongst the hardcore Apple crowd? Ole Steve got into a spat with them over Flash, and now suddenly whole loads of people have been programmed to think of them as "The Enemy".

...why?

Mr. Retrofire
Nov 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
so how do i use the cmyk feature and save jpegs to cmyk? i tried through view > generic or ps5 cmyk and then saved as jpeg, but it opens as rgb in photoshop cs4.
JPEG does not support CMYK. Only RGB/YUV. YUV is the internal color space in the JPEG-format. Use the TIFF or EPS-format, if you need CMYK support.

r.harris1
Nov 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Yup. What's up with the Adobe hate amongst the hardcore Apple crowd? Ole Steve got into a spat with them over Flash, and now suddenly whole loads of people have been programmed to think of them as "The Enemy".

...why?

Not sure everyone who wants an Adobe-free system thinks of them as the enemy. My photo-workflow is entirely Adobe-free but that's because I use several RAW processors (depending on what I'm doing) and don't do a lot of heavy image processing except for sharpening, contrast, etc. Nothing that one of my existing programs or plugins can't handle.

I find Adobe's software to be bloated and overkill, given what I do with images. Functionality-wise, Adobe is hard to beat in one package, but I have been glad to find alternatives out there, and Pixelmator holds a lot of promise (and works great even now).

Renzatic
Nov 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
Snip

That's an entirely justifiable reason to be "adobe free". You're right, Photoshop and Illustrator are overkill for most people, and there are plenty of great alternatives that'd serve them just as well. I've only barely played with Pixelmator, but looking at the feature sheet shows me it covers just about everything your average photographer would need out of PS. Why buy it when you can get something that's just as good for you for far, far less?

My issue is with the people who started hating Adobe around the time the Flash debacle started. That smacks of stupid internet tribal BS to me.

CrickettGrrrl
Nov 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
Some of the remarks make it seem like it has to be an either/or between Pixelmator and PhotoShop, why not use both? They're tools. I can't see only having one kind of saw or screwdriver...

Pixelmator is terrific and only $30, it's not a life and death situation like paying $700 for Photoshop would be to me.

4D4M
Nov 13, 2012, 09:25 AM

...why?

For me it has nothing to do with the Flash problem. As a veteran user I can concede that nothing out there can touch Adobe CS for power, features and all-round capability. But I find the frequent crashing and bugs that persist through successive versions completely unacceptable in software that costs this much.

They should spend more time fixing this instead of adding limited interest bloat like video editing to Photoshop.

I'm not too happy about their attempt to push everyone onto a subscription model either. Plain greedy.

Murgatroyd
Nov 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks, but unfortunately it's EPS export that I need :(

GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.com) is shareware. Save As … to almost any file format.

http://hanscyrus.com/image/saving_esp_file_MacRumor.png

Yup. Great app. **:rolleyes:

D.T.
Nov 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Pixelmator has been pretty outstanding for me. Stable, feature rich for my needs, which are mostly mild photo editing and some graphic design for application/web icons/widgets/UI elements.

I scored it when it was $14.95, and for _that_ price, it's an incredible value. Good too see the developer is still pushing some major updates out too.

:cool:

Truffy
Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.com) is shareware. Save As … to almost any file format.
Thanks. As it turns out, Sketch exports to EPS natively. And it has a demo version. Doesn't support native CMYK colour space though :(

wikus
Nov 16, 2012, 04:05 AM
Long overdue feature, but it still won't replace Photoshop in any design studio.

Renzatic
Nov 16, 2012, 05:44 AM
For me it has nothing to do with the Flash problem. As a veteran user I can concede that nothing out there can touch Adobe CS for power, features and all-round capability. But I find the frequent crashing and bugs that persist through successive versions completely unacceptable in software that costs this much.

They should spend more time fixing this instead of adding limited interest bloat like video editing to Photoshop.

Yeah, PS has gotten a little bloated over the years, and it does install far more than what I generally need, but one thing I can't say is that it's buggy or crashy. It's always been a solid, reliable piece of software for me. I think I've seen it crash all of twice over the years I've been using it.

Then again, if you're a professional user, you might be pushing it a little harder than I am. I can get pretty complicated with my layer stacks, but I usually only deal with resolutions between 1024x - 2048x, and never touch CMYK.

I'm not too happy about their attempt to push everyone onto a subscription model either. Plain greedy.

Everyone's doing that these days. I don't like it either. : \

Saladinos
Nov 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
Give us non destructive layer styles, adjustment styles, and I'll switch tomorrow.

This is basically the only thing Pixelmator is lacking. The developers surely have to be working on it (it's taking them a while, though).

thekev
Nov 16, 2012, 02:48 PM
Long overdue feature, but it still won't replace Photoshop in any design studio.

Larger studios tend to be very conservative on software. They use what they know. They test upgrades prior to installing them on everything. It would be potentially very disruptive moving away from Adobe.

]

Everyone's doing that these days. I don't like it either. : \

They learned from autodesk:mad:. Well Autodesk and some of the others are a little different. It's still whatever purchase cost, and an annual subscription fee is added to that to keep whatever software up to date and upgrade eligible. Adobe's subscription fees are kind of high if you have already own licenses from prior versions. It used to be that you had up to 3 versions to upgrade. If it was a bad release, you could skip it. Currently the annual fee for a given application is more than it used to cost upgrading every version. I kind of wonder if they'll back off on it a bit.

stevelam
Nov 16, 2012, 03:06 PM

no non destructive layer styles? definitely not.

Anonymouse106
Nov 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
no non destructive layer styles? definitely not.

Bring on the non destructive layer styles!

I really just need drop shadows and some effects to make text jump off of the background. This takes forever to do without layer styles.

stevelam
Nov 19, 2012, 10:30 AM

I really just need drop shadows and some effects to make text jump off of the background. This takes forever to do without layer styles.

yep pretty much. the thing is, pixelmator is supposed to be this simplified photo/graphics editing program but its actually really bad at doing the actual simple things (like editable drop shadows etc)

CrickettGrrrl
Nov 19, 2012, 11:11 AM

Oh crud, I have a Drop Shadow quartz filter in Effects, it was easy & adjustable. Just tried it out and it doesn't work any longer. :( Well, fingers crossed, perhaps it's back in the next update. Not too big a deal for me at this time, using an extra layer -blurred.

--------

I used Quartz Composer/Parameters to delete the Preview icon and the drop shadow plug-in works as it should again. Went through a bunch of third-party quartz filters recently to delete the preview icons and they are all working properly now. :)

hestroy
May 10, 2013, 06:10 AM

...why?

Because of their greedy price policy? Because they want thousands of USD every year for nothing but compatibility?

fivedots
May 10, 2013, 09:09 AM
Because of their greedy price policy? Because they want thousands of USD every year for nothing but compatibility?

Fair enough, but I hope you realize you're replying to a post made long before the mandatory Creative Cloud announcement.