PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0

MacRumors
Nov 8, 2012, 05:11 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/apple-releases-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-update-2-0/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage12.pngApple has released a 127.07 MB update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609) for all the Mac notebooks introduced in June 2012 -- the new MacBook Air models, as well as the spec-bumped MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-updates-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models-with-minor-spec-bumps/), and the MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-introduces-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-15-4-retina-display-starts-at-2199/).

Apple is nonspecific about the exact issues the update fixes, but mentions graphics performance and compatibility with USB devices:
About MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0

This update includes graphics performance and reliability enhancements and improves compatibility with some USB devices.

This update is recommended for all Mac notebooks introduced in June 2012.The update is available via Apple's support website (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609) or the Mac App Store.

Installing the update also changes the build number of OS X 10.8.2 from 12C60 to 12C3006.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/apple-releases-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-update-2-0/)

ibd
Nov 8, 2012, 05:12 PM
Ohh, I wonder if this will fix certain issues like heavy throttling of the rMBP. :)

penajmz
Nov 8, 2012, 05:13 PM
Download link is not working for me.

EDIT: Showed up in App Store updates.

henryonapple
Nov 8, 2012, 05:15 PM
Download link is not working for me.

not working for me as well, should't this show up as an update in the app store?

Marcus PM
Nov 8, 2012, 05:15 PM
In process.

haruhiko
Nov 8, 2012, 05:16 PM
not working for me as well, should't this show up as an update in the app store?

Mine showed up in the App Store and I updated there :-)

I hope this will fix the rMBP lagging issue on zoomed in websites.

Codyak
Updated through the app store, so far so good.

ibd

It did so here.

ALCRON
Nov 8, 2012, 05:18 PM
For a few moments I thought this would be an actual hardware upgrade. :p

jffluis
Nov 8, 2012, 05:19 PM
I hope this fixes MBPr lag is some places..

henryonapple
Nov 8, 2012, 05:21 PM
shows up in the app store for me now

komodrone
Nov 8, 2012, 05:26 PM
uhhh ok, NICE TEARING:

http://youtu.be/V3ZpEIc0EAw

joshhedge
I hope this fixes the massive screen tearing issue thats easily reproducable on retina macbooks with an external display connected.

I don't have that issue.

camnchar
133 mb! It better fix something.

srxtr
The size of the updates actually matter for the MBA 64GB

hlfway2anywhere
Nov 8, 2012, 05:28 PM
hopefully this fixes the screen tearing in Safari that has made it virtually unusable on my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display.

jffluis
Nov 8, 2012, 05:29 PM
All the same for me. MBPr. Good one Apple. "Do nothing" Update

vanc
Nov 8, 2012, 05:30 PM
After the update, Safari performs better. Scrolling with verge.com can finally reach more than 35 fps with the iGPU.

frexer
Nov 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
Can anyone give more feedback on the update? like games etc

Codyak
Nov 8, 2012, 05:37 PM
uhhh ok, NICE TEARING:

http://youtu.be/V3ZpEIc0EAw

Private video.

GrandPhrase
After the update, Safari performs better. Scrolling with verge.com can finally reach more than 35 fps with the iGPU.

Would you kindly mind posting a video of scrolling on The Verge or whatever graphics heavy website that was previously laggy, for us? I know it's too little a change and trivial to do something like a video, but.. would really appreciate it.

rmwebs
The size of the updates actually matter for the MBA 64GBif a 133 mb update is a big issue for you then you shouldn't be using an ssd

komodrone
Nov 8, 2012, 05:39 PM
I don't have that issue.

here's how to reproduce it:

attach external display
goto display settings in sys prefs
set it to more space:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6686/screenshot20121108at336.png
set arrangement: external display directly on top, laptop screen on bottom. MAKE SURE THE WHITE BAR IS IN THE EXTERNAL DISPLAY ON TOP
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6686/screenshot20121108at336.png

move a large window around in the retina macbook screen
see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ZpEIc0EAw&feature=youtu.be

it's a known issue with OSX
confirmed and reproduced it at a Genius Bar with their own retina macbooks.

----------

Private video.

fixed. now you can see it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ZpEIc0EAw&feature=youtu.be

Syndra
Nov 8, 2012, 05:43 PM
I wonder if this patch fixes the problems with games, which makes you having to reset your SMC.

beestigbeestje
Nov 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
Resizing Safari windows are smoother.

Not noticing any gaming performance at the moment. Is there a way to see frames per second on Modern Combat Domination?

EDIT: Safari window resizing is NOT smoother :(.

Codyak
Nov 8, 2012, 05:45 PM
I wonder if this patch fixes the problems with games, which makes you having to reset your SMC.

Hope for this as well.

cmChimera
Nov 8, 2012, 06:08 PM
if a 133 mb update is a big issue for you then you shouldn't be using an ssd

As if a person owning a Macbook Air has a choice?

buddybd
Nov 8, 2012, 06:44 PM

If you want choice then you shouldn't be owning a Mac anyway.

...ok I kid I kid :D

komodrone
Nov 8, 2012, 07:04 PM

you could...load the OS off of external. YEAH NOT PRACTICAL BUT IT'S STILL A CHOICE.

pgiguere1
Nov 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
Would you kindly mind posting a video of scrolling on The Verge or whatever graphics heavy website that was previously laggy, for us? I know it's too little a change and trivial to do something like a video, but.. would really appreciate it.

I've just done it here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1486293

MacDav
Nov 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
Seriously thinking about one of these. Small yet way more powerful than iPad.

Prof.
Nov 8, 2012, 07:14 PM
Let's see if this fixes the "disappearing text" on my 2012 MBP. It happens mostly on the forums here and on facebook.

GrandPhrase
Nov 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
I've just done it here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1486293

Just saw it, thanks a lot lol - I'm sure by Haswell and with little improvements like these, UI lags will be nonexistent.

shorn
Nov 8, 2012, 07:17 PM
Still not fixed the CSS rendering issue thats been present since ML launch!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4155736?start=15&tstart=0

besweeet2
Nov 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
Seriously thinking about one of these. Small yet way more powerful than iPad.

Off-topic a bit, yes, but that's what I did. I dumped my iPad for a MacBook Air, and I haven't even thought about touching the iPad ever since. It's been a few months now. Sure, they're two different device, but for the things that I used my iPad for, the Air handles perfectly, too.

undies1993
Nov 8, 2012, 10:37 PM
I just got a LogicBoard ordered for mine in hope to fix the tearing…

ibanez81
Nov 8, 2012, 11:12 PM
I've noticed an improvement in waking the rMBP from sleep. Before the update, I would sometimes have to wait for roughly 15-20 seconds before the mouse cursor would respond. Since the update, waking the system is much more responsive.

j-a-x
Nov 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
Could this be right?

Open GL drivers before update: NVIDIA-8.0.61
Open GL drivers after update: NVIDIA-8.6.22

I wrote down the driver version before the update but it doesn't seem like it's possible that there could be such a drastic change. However I looked back to an old thread where I was posting about this and it was indeed 8.0.61 before this update. Interesting.

Is Safari "snappier", or is that just me (I never though I'd use the Safari is Snappier line).

lewdvig
Nov 8, 2012, 11:59 PM
updated drivers for Borderlands 2 :D:D:D

austinguy23
Nov 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
Someone please state if their scrolling/animation lags are still present on the 13" and 15" Retina MBP post-update.

Codyak
Nov 9, 2012, 12:33 AM
Someone please state if their scrolling/animation lags are still present on the 13" and 15" Retina MBP post-update.

Depends on the site but it definitely is a little better, although not as much as I would like. Also if you had read anything that's been posted so far you would have seen the answer to your question...

Rev4
Nov 9, 2012, 12:36 AM
The choppy year-to-year page turn animation in Calendar is less choppy, but, still not fluid.It seems that scrolling has incrementally improved.

If the wake-up time has improved, that will be much appreciated. There were times where I'd wait for over 30 seconds to see my mouse and text cursor active. If that's fixed, I'm a happy camper.

benspratling
Nov 9, 2012, 12:40 AM
After the update, Netflix still brings my rMBP to a near halt.
Resuming when waking is noticeably faster.

bed
Nov 9, 2012, 01:22 AM
15"RetinaMBP integrated card: scrolling in safari noticeably improved as well as the animation bringing up mission control

rmwebs
Nov 9, 2012, 02:25 AM

Which games were causing that?

tokai
Nov 9, 2012, 02:26 AM
I installed the update this morning, and three times my Retina MBP has become unresponsive, starting with 1 app, and then cascading through all other open apps and the finder. Before today, this new laptop has been wonderful. Anyone else having this problem after installing the update?

foidulus
Nov 9, 2012, 02:26 AM
Do not install this update if you use Skype, now as soon as I sign in it crashes....

[EDIT]
Ok, it crashed whenever I had my 15" rmbp connected to an external monitor, I tried disconnecting the monitor, launching it, then reconnecting the monitor, that worked. And now whenever I launch it even with the monitor connected it works...I honestly have no idea why.

theineffablebob
Nov 9, 2012, 02:38 AM
Text re-rendering when using pinch-to-zoom is still a little slow sometimes.

Skoopman
Nov 9, 2012, 02:50 AM
Do not install this update if you use Skype, now as soon as I sign in it crashes....

[EDIT]
Ok, it crashed whenever I had my 15" rmbp connected to an external monitor, I tried disconnecting the monitor, launching it, then reconnecting the monitor, that worked. And now whenever I launch it even with the monitor connected it works...I honestly have no idea why.

I have no problem with Skype.

curmi
Nov 9, 2012, 03:19 AM
I installed the update this morning, and three times my Retina MBP has become unresponsive, starting with 1 app, and then cascading through all other open apps and the finder. Before today, this new laptop has been wonderful. Anyone else having this problem after installing the update?

Me too. I've also got Mail forgetting passwords, and Calendar having similar issues (and not accepting CalDAV passwords). After I locked the screen (screensaver), the machine wouldn't respond. Also, on first reboot after install, it wouldn't allow any input from keyboard or trackpad. Another reboot fixed that.

Yesterday everything was working fine. :(

X5-599
Nov 9, 2012, 04:01 AM
Question: Is this just for MaxBooks (Pro) bought in June and later? If so, how can I see if my newly bought MacBook Pro is indeed one of those?

I ask because it came with Lion installed. If it were in fact a new Model shouldn't it have already been Mountain Lion?

octover
Nov 9, 2012, 04:10 AM
Me too. I've also got Mail forgetting passwords, and Calendar having similar issues (and not accepting CalDAV passwords). After I locked the screen (screensaver), the machine wouldn't respond. Also, on first reboot after install, it wouldn't allow any input from keyboard or trackpad. Another reboot fixed that.

Yesterday everything was working fine. :(

I had the same problems. After installing the update it seemed like my keychain was acting up, I couldn't re-install an app I had already purchased from the App Store and Mail.app had problems. I just repaired disk permissions and rebooted and now both of those problems have gone away.

MacPod
Nov 9, 2012, 04:10 AM

That's less than 1/4 of 1% of the space on a 64GB MBA, and it replaces files, not just adds to them, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Kimcha
Nov 9, 2012, 04:30 AM
wow this update made a huge difference for me! Before whenever I had loads of windows on the desktop and I used mission control it would lag and stutter like crazy. Same for swiping between spaces and now its nice and smooth.

Not 100% super smooth, but a huuuuuge improvement! Lets hope it stays that way now.

curmi
Nov 9, 2012, 04:31 AM
I had the same problems. After installing the update it seemed like my keychain was acting up, I couldn't re-install an app I had already purchased from the App Store and Mail.app had problems. I just repaired disk permissions and rebooted and now both of those problems have gone away.

I did this also, and after a reboot it seemed to be ok. But an hour later it started to play up again, requesting passwords once more. :(

robin0627
Nov 9, 2012, 04:36 AM
I got scroll lag on my 15 inch rMBP after updating it. What's going on? Apple, you are not fixing the graphical issues and worsening them :mad:

sensorian
Nov 9, 2012, 04:43 AM
Doesnt appear to have made any discernible difference to me. I had a bit of screen tearing, nothing that made me want to cry or anything and I still have a little bit of screen tearing....I'd love to see a proper breakdown of exactly what changes this update incorporates.....

Risco
Nov 9, 2012, 04:49 AM
I had to reset my SMC after the update.

togg
Nov 9, 2012, 05:03 AM
the first EFI update bring a whole bunch of issues on rMBP, I hope that this will solve them.

5bjoshua
Nov 9, 2012, 05:33 AM
Big update on graphics drivers when looking at the extensions!

Nice! :cool:

5bjoshua
Nov 9, 2012, 05:48 AM
Could this be right?

Open GL drivers before update: NVIDIA-8.0.61
Open GL drivers after update: NVIDIA-8.6.22

I wrote down the driver version before the update but it doesn't seem like it's possible that there could be such a drastic change. However I looked back to an old thread where I was posting about this and it was indeed 8.0.61 before this update. Interesting.

Is Safari "snappier", or is that just me (I never though I'd use the Safari is Snappier line).

Yeah, i did the same. It updated the nVidia version from 1.3.4 to 8.6.22 also...i manually updated my nVidia driver to the 304 series one so not sure if that was updated in this update also from the 295 series nVIdia driver?

Not sure what is up with the numbering but it seems like it could be a good update.

OpenGL Certification seems the same however.

bpran
Nov 9, 2012, 05:52 AM
Backup before updating, and update at your own risk!

darijoe
Nov 9, 2012, 06:06 AM
Question: Is this just for MaxBooks (Pro) bought in June and later? If so, how can I see if my newly bought MacBook Pro is indeed one of those?

I ask because it came with Lion installed. If it were in fact a new Model shouldn't it have already been Mountain Lion?

To find out, click on the Apple menu (top left of screen) and select "About This Mac". Click on the "More Info..." button and you should see another window appear. Under the big bold MacBook Pro text, you will see the date of the model and the June 2012 models should say "Mid 2012".

Also, Lion was initially loaded onto these Mid 2012 MacBooks in June because Mountain Lion was only released in late July.

MiBook84
Nov 9, 2012, 07:03 AM
My MacBook Air went from 384 MB graphic memory to 512 MB. Quite annoying since I only have 4GB of ram on the machine. I don't think it is necessary to allocate 512 MB just for the GPU.

I can not see any other differences and did not have any issues with graphics before so I am actually quite upset to see this increase of VRAM.

The 13" rMBP took 768 MB of RAM as VRAM for the same HD 4000 internal gpu but it also has about twice the pixels. I can not understand Apple here. I often run out of RAM and this will only make it even easier. :mad::mad:

Edit: I updated with a file attatched that shows the updated drivers on my machine.

LazarusX
Nov 9, 2012, 07:32 AM
Has anybody tried to reenable TRIM for third-party SSDs after updating? I have tried these commands (https://gist.github.com/3768688) for several times but TRIM is still disabled as shown in system report.

Skoopman
Nov 9, 2012, 07:51 AM
My MacBook Air went from 384 MB graphic memory to 512 MB. Quite annoying since I only have 4GB of ram on the machine. I don't think it is necessary to allocate 512 MB just for the GPU.

I can not see any other differences and did not have any issues with graphics before so I am actually quite upset to see this increase of VRAM.

The 13" rMBP took 768 MB of RAM as VRAM for the same HD 4000 internal gpu but it also has about twice the pixels. I can not understand Apple here. I often run out of RAM and this will only make it even easier. :mad::mad:

Edit: I updated with a file attatched that shows the updated drivers on my machine.

I noticed it, too. First I thought it had always been 512 MB VRAM :D Maybe that was the only way to make animations smoother? Anyway, it shouldn't matter because the system now can take up to 512 MB of RAM, but it doesn't use it all the time.

netsped
Nov 9, 2012, 07:53 AM
After having changed hibernatemode to 0 since I bought my MBA in July, which means I didn't had a sleepimage eating 4 GB of space, now I can change the hibernatemode to whatever I want (0 or 3) but the sleepimage is reappearing after each reboot or after coming up from sleep.

Does anybody else has this problem? How do you fix it?

inlinevolvo
Nov 9, 2012, 08:19 AM
Things feel slightly smoother on my 15 retina. Not leaps and bounds, but def an improvement.

scaredpoet
Nov 9, 2012, 08:20 AM

You DO realize that most, if not all, of the update replaces old operating system files, rather than adds to them, right?

chorner
Nov 9, 2012, 09:04 AM

You're worried about that much of a difference in allocated RAM? Give me a break dude. If you're bumping up against that 4GB wall on your machine all the time, you've got the wrong machine and configuration for your usage case in the first place.

lol....

Syndra
Nov 9, 2012, 09:10 AM

Guild Wars 2 is one of them.

dixido
Nov 9, 2012, 09:18 AM
hopefully this fixes the screen tearing in Safari that has made it virtually unusable on my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display.

This update this not fix this issue on my MBA 13". :mad:

Anyone else with better luck?

moxxey
Nov 9, 2012, 09:20 AM
Doesnt appear to have made any discernible difference to me. I had a bit of screen tearing...

Yes, this seems to be the big difference to me. The screen tearing seems to have disappeared. Was awful using Total Finder. Gone now.

HarryKNN21
Nov 9, 2012, 09:34 AM
A new name for my MBP: Spec-bumped MBP:p

However mine is snappier than before, even if I switched the GPU to Intel HD4000 (I only have 384mb of VRAM on HD4000). Nice but the YouTube player issue has not been solved.

Also I see a big bump on battery life. (showing 8hrs and 20mins when I am editing this post on Safari, I have never seen this on my 15" MBP before.)

----------

What do you use your MBA for? Gaming? If not this VRAM bump will not break your machine.

My old 13" MBP also had 512mb VRAM for HD3000 and I have never ever freezed due to that.

nightsky971
Nov 9, 2012, 09:38 AM
I thought this was a graphics update? I'm having the same issue as mentioned earlier. Safari periodically asks me to re-enter keychain password. Mail has become unusable. It's not checking accounts, I can't open preferences (never ending beach ball), and I must must force quit every time. Any help would be appreciated.

j-a-x
Nov 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
The choppy year-to-year page turn animation in Calendar is less choppy, but, still not fluid.It seems that scrolling has incrementally improved.

If the wake-up time has improved, that will be much appreciated. There were times where I'd wait for over 30 seconds to see my mouse and text cursor active. If that's fixed, I'm a happy camper.

I noticed this issue too but not on all rBPs. My dad's machine kept waking in a second while mine was taking maybe 30 seconds. I'll keep an eye on my machine over the weekend and see if it fixed this issue.

HarryKNN21
Nov 9, 2012, 09:58 AM
I thought this was a graphics update? I'm having the same issue as mentioned earlier. Safari periodically asks me to re-enter keychain password. Mail has become unusable. It's not checking accounts, I can't open preferences (never ending beach ball), and I must must force quit every time. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you better do a clean installation of the OS, then recover all the data from Time Machine and see if this could help.

pacalis
Nov 9, 2012, 10:42 AM
I also run Win7 on my rMBP and a couple days ago there was a large Nvidia update. So I think this is mainly a graphics update.

SWPROX
Nov 9, 2012, 11:31 AM
After having changed hibernatemode to 0 since I bought my MBA in July, which means I didn't had a sleepimage eating 4 GB of space, now I can change the hibernatemode to whatever I want (0 or 3) but the sleepimage is reappearing after each reboot or after coming up from sleep.

Hey I have this same problem since the update :mad:,I am getting that 8GB file no matter what I do :mad::mad:,any solutions anyone ? Yes the mode is 0 and everything,but it just keeps coming back after reboot :confused:

rikbrown
Nov 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
Noticed my 15" rMBP showing the iPhone/iPad-style "Connect to Charger"/"Low Battery" icon in the middle of the screen when it was out of battery and I tried to turn it on. Is this new?

CausticPuppy
Nov 9, 2012, 12:30 PM
Warning - this update seems to change the way "safesleep" is handled. If you currently have safesleep disabled in order to free up the drive space required by the sleep image, this will cause it to come back and even setting hibernatemode = 0 won't change it.

Not sure why. The 13" rMBP has this "feature" out of the box but the 2.0 update has been reported to have the same effect on the earlier Ivy Bridge macbooks.

----------

Ah, you beat me to it.

I'd really like to solve this. I don't like an 8GB sleepimage on my dinky 128GB drive. :(

j-a-x
Nov 9, 2012, 12:51 PM
Noticed my 15" rMBP showing the iPhone/iPad-style "Connect to Charger"/"Low Battery" icon in the middle of the screen when it was out of battery and I tried to turn it on. Is this new?

Nope, I noticed that before the update.

dukebound85
Nov 9, 2012, 12:54 PM
Warning - this update seems to change the way "safesleep" is handled. If you currently have safesleep disabled in order to free up the drive space required by the sleep image, this will cause it to come back and even setting hibernatemode = 0 won't change it.

Not sure why. The 13" rMBP has this "feature" out of the box but the 2.0 update has been reported to have the same effect on the earlier Ivy Bridge macbooks.

----------

Ah, you beat me to it.

I'd really like to solve this. I don't like an 8GB sleepimage on my dinky 128GB drive. :(
I hope you figure this out. Not cool as I have 16 gigs of ram and am not needing safe sleep for my needs

paulmoscow
Nov 9, 2012, 12:59 PM
For people concerned with the sleepimage file, it seems to be easily fixable.

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

OK, basically you need to create a symbolic link to nowhere in the Terminal:

cd /var/vm
sudo rm sleepimage
sudo ln -s /dev/null sleepimage

That's all.

Skoopman
Nov 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
Something is fishy about this update. Somebody from macupdate wrote:

"My 2012 stock mbp with 8gb ram did the same thing, except the other way around: I only have 384mb now.
How is this an improvement?"

Can somebody confirm this?

Catsman
Nov 9, 2012, 01:39 PM

----------

[EDIT]

[EDIT]
Not using Skype but since upgrade my external monitor no longer works. Erratic behaviour. With lid closed external monitor worked, when open both screens black with just a cursor. Reboot fixed it for about an hour then back to unusable.

MBPr seems to work ok with external monitor disconnected. Up until thIs update all seemed good. Now unusable with external monitor.

Have Skype loaded but not used. Have not checked mail etc.

MiBook84
Nov 9, 2012, 01:48 PM
You're worried about that much of a difference in allocated RAM? Give me a break dude. If you're bumping up against that 4GB wall on your machine all the time, you've got the wrong machine and configuration for your usage case in the first place.

lol....

Well, no I do not think so. I am very happy about the air and I have other machines too, this is the machine I bring with me everyday so it is important for me. I go by train for hours almost every day. They don´t come with 8GB in store and I did not have time for a BTO at the time.

It is not the biggest difference that they adjusted the amount of allocated VRAM, but it IS a difference and I don't see why. It is a ultra portable computer and it doesnt need 512 MB for the GPU right?

Also, what I noted after a few reboots is that the only amount of free ram is about 1,6GB immediately after a start. It is far less than before. But that might be temporary.

I do alot of different things on my machine but playing games is not one of them. I do quite alot of graphic processing on it but it has always worked great, even with my 27" apple led display connected..

Squuiid
Nov 9, 2012, 01:48 PM
How about an update for the Mac Mini 2012 HDMI issues? :mad:

aaronvan
Nov 9, 2012, 02:25 PM

Yes. See my thread in the Macbook Air forum.

CausticPuppy
Nov 9, 2012, 02:30 PM
For people concerned with the sleepimage file, it seems to be easily fixable.

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

OK, basically you need to create a symbolic link to nowhere in the Terminal:

cd /var/vm
sudo rm sleepimage
sudo ln -s /dev/null sleepimage

That's all.

Oh, sneaky. I didn't think about symlinking it to /dev/null.

----------

Something is fishy about this update. Somebody from macupdate wrote:

"My 2012 stock mbp with 8gb ram did the same thing, except the other way around: I only have 384mb now.
How is this an improvement?"

Can somebody confirm this?

Sheesh, my 13" rMBP says 768MB video memory-- and I have fewer pixels to push than a 15" retina which has 512MB.

However, since that's shared system memory, I don't believe it actually *uses* that unless it's needed. That number just represents the max amount that can be allocated. So unless you're running 2 external 27" monitors it shouldn't be sucking up too much system memory.

Furrybeagle
Nov 9, 2012, 03:08 PM
I noticed this issue too but not on all rBPs. My dad's machine kept waking in a second while mine was taking maybe 30 seconds. I'll keep an eye on my machine over the weekend and see if it fixed this issue.

My guess is that this is caused by the machine going into standby mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392

The machine will write the contents of RAM to the SSD after about an hour of sleep on battery. I have yet to apply the update, but perhaps it changed this behavior.

The long wake times were driving me crazy, so my solution was to change the timeout from the default 70 minutes to 12 hours using pmset. I have not tried this with the update, so try this at your own risk. I assume no responsibility whatsoever if this screws up your computer, don’t do this if you don’t know how to use Terminal, please be careful, etc. etc.

The relevant commands are:
sudo pmset -b standbydelay 43200
sudo pmset -c standbydelay 43200

Replace 43200 with your preferred standby delay, in seconds. The default value is 4200.

And to check the current settings, this ought to work:
pmset -g custom | grep standbydelay

I’m guessing that resetting the PRAM resets these values.

amazinrobert
Nov 9, 2012, 03:18 PM
Wow, this update totally fixed my battery life...
It used to tell me about an hour and half at best when I would be watching a movie on VLC...which makes the Geforce gfx run..
Now, its telling me 4hrs 45 mins!

foiden
Nov 9, 2012, 03:35 PM
Nice that they bumped up the possible Gfx memory on the Air. It does mean that certain programs that might have issues with the gfx memory can now run without a hitch. Not necessarily gaming in general, but for a particular gfx memory hungry game called Might & Magic Heroes 6. (Which would work before this update, but would work much better with this update)

JonasCalhoun
Nov 9, 2012, 03:48 PM

I've got the same issue. There's also problems with coming out of sleep, keychain access issues, and none of my external drives can be unmounted.

I've reset the PRAM and SMC. I've called AppleCare, and they seem to think it's related to FileVault2 encryption being on the disk. I'm not convinced, but going through their troubleshooting steps is all I have right now.

Dan

Skoopman
Nov 9, 2012, 03:50 PM
Also, what I noted after a few reboots is that the only amount of free ram is about 1,6GB immediately after a start. It is far less than before. But that might be temporary.

Reset the SMC. It will fix the "problem", I had it, too.

Prof.
Nov 9, 2012, 03:52 PM
UPDATE: 2.0 does NOT fix the disappearing text issue... :mad:

curmi
Nov 9, 2012, 04:33 PM
I've got the same issue. There's also problems with coming out of sleep, keychain access issues, and none of my external drives can be unmounted.

I've reset the PRAM and SMC. I've called AppleCare, and they seem to think it's related to FileVault2 encryption being on the disk. I'm not convinced, but going through their troubleshooting steps is all I have right now.

Dan

I'm not using FileVault, but have the issue. :(

MiBook84
Nov 9, 2012, 06:18 PM
Reset the SMC. It will fix the "problem", I had it, too.

Interesting, I´ll give it a shot

Idefix
Nov 9, 2012, 07:03 PM
here's an explanation of sleepimage location and hibernate mode.

hibernate mode 0 does eliminate the sleepimage in SL, not sure about ML.

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_remove_diskhogging_sleepimage_file_your_mac

but not that you know the location, you can try the above and then check afterwards to see if it has been recreated.

corduroygt
Nov 9, 2012, 07:05 PM
This update fixed the "turn on external monitor when waking up from sleep" issue on my 2012 MBA 8/256. Now my external displayport monitor wakes up from sleep successfully every time and I do not have to keep unplugging the mini dp connector and plugging it back in.

iSquirrelu
Nov 9, 2012, 07:10 PM
Updated on MBR, lost one USB port with an external USB3 attached, messed about disconnecting/reconnecting etc, still no joy, reset the PRAM. Can report all good now.

Also encountered same sleep reactivation issue (previously disabled) fixed with the work around posted above.

ZipZap
Nov 9, 2012, 09:13 PM
Does this fix the USB drive issue where they do not remount when the units wakes from sleep?

JonasCalhoun
Nov 9, 2012, 10:52 PM
After going through a bunch of steps with AppleCare, the fix was to re-install 10.8.

I wasn't very happy about it, my TM backups are archiving right now. However, it looks like it did the trick, and I didn't lose any data...

Dan

iSquirrelu
Nov 9, 2012, 11:56 PM
Does this fix the USB drive issue where they do not remount when the units wakes from sleep?

I had to reset the PRAM & SMC after the update to get USB functioning

bed
Nov 10, 2012, 01:08 AM
Damn,
previously I have been enjoying the game XCOM:EnemyUnknown on my 15" RetinaMacBookPro running inside Windows8 with Parallels 8. Today however, whenever I try and run the game the virtual machine crashes (not just a blue screen etc, but the VM vanishes and Parallels throws up a crash message).

Now what is different since the last time it worked a few days ago are two things:
- XCOM patch update (~7th November) which installed after my last game
- This RetinaMacBookPro Graphics Update 2.0, which installed yesterday

I'm guessing the rMBP graphics update is the cause here, currently redownloading the 10.8.2 Combo updater to try and rollback the drivers while I wait for Parallels to do an update so I can get back to killing aliens.

bed
Nov 10, 2012, 02:22 AM
using gfxCardStatus, if I force the rMBP to stay on the integrated video card, the crash does not occur. So it is definitely related to the discrete video card. its not quite as smooth of course, but is playable on low settings.

amberashby
Nov 10, 2012, 06:53 AM
Wooohooo. That was the only thing bugging me about my Retina 15.

Onexy
Nov 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
Damn,
previously I have been enjoying the game XCOM:EnemyUnknown on my 15" RetinaMacBookPro running inside Windows8 with Parallels 8. Today however, whenever I try and run the game the virtual machine crashes (not just a blue screen etc, but the VM vanishes and Parallels throws up a crash message).

Now what is different since the last time it worked a few days ago are two things:
- XCOM patch update (~7th November) which installed after my last game
- This RetinaMacBookPro Graphics Update 2.0, which installed yesterday

I'm guessing the rMBP graphics update is the cause here, currently redownloading the 10.8.2 Combo updater to try and rollback the drivers while I wait for Parallels to do an update so I can get back to killing aliens.
I can confirm this! Just tried to run Battlefield 1942 and the whole Windows 8 Parallels Desktop 8 VM crashes instantly when the game menu appears.

Shokyu
Nov 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mhheee!

Since I run the update my rMBP15 lags permanently on Starcraft 2.

I played the game always on medium settings on an external Monitor via HDMI.
Now after the update this is all but playable.

Did anyone see that issue too?
Any help?

Risco
Nov 10, 2012, 09:09 AM
Mhheee!

Since I run the update my rMBP15 lags permanently on Starcraft 2.

I played the game always on medium settings on an external Monitor via HDMI.
Now after the update this is all but playable.

Did anyone see that issue too?
Any help?

Reset SMC.

ikir
Nov 10, 2012, 09:50 AM
Woot!!! Boosted Cinebench11 result by 10-15% :eek:

Not bad!!!

MacBook Air 2012

JonasCalhoun
Nov 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
After going through a bunch of steps with AppleCare, the fix was to re-install 10.8.

I spoke too soon. This morning, my rMBP is having the same issues as before--USB drives won't unmount, problems waking from sleep, and mail/messages/ical constantly ask for passwords.

Dan

Mac Rules
Nov 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
So for my (very) short subjective review, unfortunately I have no stats to back this up;

OS GUI does generally seem a tad more responsive.
Safari visual glitches mostly resolved - an SMC reset seems to help that however for a short while.
Able to run Portal,TF2,HL2 at full retina resolution with max settings at a smooth frame-rate versus being limited to around 1920 before on max settings.

Very happy so far, just wish Apple would do something to smooth Safari up a bit...

Shokyu
Nov 10, 2012, 12:39 PM
Reset SMC.

You saved my weekend man!
;-)

Thanks a lot! I will see if the issue rises again in a period of time, but for now it seems solved.

curmi
Nov 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
I spoke too soon. This morning, my rMBP is having the same issues as before--USB drives won't unmount, problems waking from sleep, and mail/messages/ical constantly ask for passwords.

Dan

Well, since you and I both have a Retina MacBook Pro, I wonder if the problem is only with these machines? Maybe people without problems are on the Air?

I haven't tried reinstalling, but it seems from your evidence that doesn't work anyway. :(

OnceYouGoMac
Nov 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'd better install this on my Air (it's a 2012 model). I actually thought it was a hardware update when I read the thread title :o

Risco
Nov 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
You saved my weekend man!
;-)

Thanks a lot! I will see if the issue rises again in a period of time, but for now it seems solved.

Hey, no problems! I also reset the PRAM as well, seemed to make things a bit smoother in general OS.

squirrelist
Nov 10, 2012, 06:05 PM
Before the upgrade I was getting weird 3D problems on my Macbook Air when talking to other leaders. Looked like their body had a strobe light on it. After this update it works perfectly.

Leslie.Hon
Nov 11, 2012, 03:01 AM
I have a Mid 2012 2.6 15 inch unibody with Optibay , put the home (~) into optibay HDD, disable Safe Sleep

After patched:

No LCD signal on wake
Some application ask me keychain password when login
M4 128GB SSD TRIM is off, can't turn it on again
I can't copy file from NAS to Desktop after patched
Intel 4000 512MB > 384MB Ram

Now I restored to older time by Time Machine:mad:

mattyu007
Nov 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Has anyone been having issues with sleep and waking from sleep? My 15" cMBP doesn't go to sleep reliably anymore, and upon waking from sleep, displays all sorts of graphics corruption and graphical lag until it is restarted.

I've also noticed that my battery life has decreased since installing the update. I've tried PRAM reset and SMC reset, but neither appear to have made much of a difference.

beestigbeestje
Nov 12, 2012, 03:26 AM
Has anyone been having issues with sleep and waking from sleep? My 15" cMBP doesn't go to sleep reliably anymore, and upon waking from sleep, displays all sorts of graphics corruption and graphical lag until it is restarted.

I've also noticed that my battery life has decreased since installing the update. I've tried PRAM reset and SMC reset, but neither appear to have made much of a difference.

Battery decrease CHECK
Lag when waking from sleep CHECK (has something to do with "deep sleep")

Mine still takes his time to shut down. My five year old MBP shuts down in a blimp (also ssd).

X5-599
Nov 12, 2012, 03:45 AM
To find out, click on the Apple menu (top left of screen) and select "About This Mac". Click on the "More Info..." button and you should see another window appear. Under the big bold MacBook Pro text, you will see the date of the model and the June 2012 models should say "Mid 2012".

Also, Lion was initially loaded onto these Mid 2012 MacBooks in June because Mountain Lion was only released in late July.

Thanks, I'll check it later. I kind of figured the Lion Install would be because Mountain Lion wasn't released earlier. Now I know for sure. Thanks.

darcyjames
Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM

Wake time improved here on rMBP, now cursor is instant.

musicwind95
Nov 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
Wake from sleep (after sleeping for an hour or more) now takes a solid 10 seconds, and I consistently see >2GBs of Swap used after waking whereas before my Swap usage would have been at 0. I've set hibernatemode to 0 and sym-linked the sleepimage file to /dev/null, then reset my SMC. It seems to have helped for a few days, but the issue is back (possibly after a restart).

Also, I've noticed that the menus on the right side of the menu bar (clock, battery, etc) will sometimes open when I simply mouse over them—no click required. Odd issue, but it's only started happening since this Update.

Finally, battery life seems to have gone down. Whereas before I would see 8–10 hours of usage on a charge, I'm now getting doing the same things 6–7.

rMBP 2.33GHz, 8GB RAM

kubaw
Nov 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
This update is a disaster!!

I've installed it on rMBP and it simply stopped booting. All I've seen was an Apple logo and then restart... and again...

I went to the store immediately (thankfully I've got them on the other side of the street where my office is) but they didn't know the case and told me I could leave the computer for diagnosis for 2 days - so I declined. All they did was basic diagnostics (it showed some bluetooth-related problems?!?) and SMC/PRAM reset.

I took it home to recover from image on USB drive but before I did I decided to give "safe mode" a try. And surprise! - it booted. And something must got fixed then because it is booting normally know.

But it was the not end of problems unfortunately. Actually I've experienced:

- applications asking for keychain access all of sudden
- it refused to wake from sleep once (it just displayed mouse cursor for a sec and back off)
- once it disallowed me to move/copy any file ("operation not permitted") until I restarted

So I am still considering restoring from image (I've got 10.8.2 version prior to "supplemental update" there) and wait for "2.1" update... :/

mattyu007
Nov 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
- it refused to wake from sleep once (it just displayed mouse cursor for a sec and back off)

Exact same thing happened to me, 2012 15" cMBP.

If it were possible for me, I would roll back using Time Machine, but too much has changed on my hard drive (in terms of my files for school) that it's pretty much out of the question at this point. :(

hscottm
Nov 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
it sounds like this is an update to wait on. has there been any official discussion of another version of this update to be released?

ZipZap
Nov 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
I just love Apple's Beta testing program. Sadly, I cannot participate.

Neodym
Nov 13, 2012, 02:21 AM
At least not out of the box. Got a new rMBP (with 10.8 pre-installed) and put all available updates on it (including that EFI 2.0 update). Was disappointed by low fps-rate in WoW, found threads about the issue and could cure the problem by resetting SMC - after the patch was already installed.

Not sure though whether it was a one-time reset that was necessary after the update or whether the update did _not_ fix the issue. Will test this today or tomorrow...

Probably most games that are a little more demanding than Minesweeper...

KnightWRX
Nov 13, 2012, 05:41 AM

Been playing a bit of Guild Wars 2 recently and I've never reset the SMC on any of my Macs. Ever.

Neodym
Nov 13, 2012, 05:49 AM
Been playing a bit of Guild Wars 2 recently and I've never reset the SMC on any of my Macs. Ever.
Good for you then. But in this case it is (or at least was - not sure yet) a necessity for rMBP owners under certain conditions. Mine was fresh out of the box (i.e. not being tinkered with) and the difference in fps before and after the SMC reset was huge.

KnightWRX
Nov 13, 2012, 06:13 AM
Good for you then. But in this case it is (or at least was - not sure yet) a necessity for rMBP owners under certain conditions. Mine was fresh out of the box (i.e. not being tinkered with) and the difference in fps before and after the SMC reset was huge.

Well, I have a rMBP 15". I get smooth 60 fps at some decent settings.

Neodym
Nov 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
Well, I have a rMBP 15". I get smooth 60 fps at some decent settings.
My apologies for being imprecise. Of course ymmv - I am one of the unlucky ones that were actually affected and thus can confirm that _some_ problems actually exist(ed).

JonasCalhoun
Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
Talked again with AppleCare, at this point the only fix is to re-install the OS, and not install this update. I've collected data for Apple a couple of times, hopefully this will help.

Dan

HarryKNN21
Nov 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mine have been running with this update for several days, and I noticed the power management has vastly improved. The CPU now runs much cooler than ever before, I saw as cool as 30 degrees Celsius when I am working on spreadsheets in my office.

Also even if I have installed dual drive in my MBP, I now can get 7.5 hrs of battery life out of it, running on integrated GPU for most of the time.

I love my spec-bumped MBP, way to go!!:D

djbuddha
Nov 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
On my rMBP (16 GB, 750 GB Flash, 2.6) Editing video in FCP7, encoding in Sorensen squeeze and running my bootcamp partition in a VM via VMWare Fusion 5 all at the same time gets me near 4 hours of solid battery life without issues. (Graphics set to integrated only with gfxstatus). (Working with uncompressed AVIs and ProRes)

My machine currently handles all this flawlessly. You couldn't pay me to do this update lol

Mac-Tech
Nov 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/apple-releases-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-update-2-0/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage12.png)Apple has released a 127.07 MB update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609) for all the Mac notebooks introduced in June 2012 -- the new MacBook Air models, as well as the spec-bumped MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-updates-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-models-with-minor-spec-bumps/), and the MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-introduces-next-generation-macbook-pro-with-15-4-retina-display-starts-at-2199/).

Apple is nonspecific about the exact issues the update fixes, but mentions graphics performance and compatibility with USB devices:
The update is available via Apple's support website (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609) or the Mac App Store.

Installing the update also changes the build number of OS X 10.8.2 from 12C60 to 12C3006.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/08/apple-releases-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-update-2-0/)

Lets see what this update can really do? I hope it solves most of the issues out there that some people are experiencing.

kubaw
Nov 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
I've just reverted to pre-update version of 10.8.2. This laptop is my working machine and I'd rather deal with some interface lags than continuous issues with keychains, permissions and applications refusing to start. I am very disapointed. I have never experienced such problems with any Apple udpate.

irnchriz
Nov 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Why, if these are working systems, would you update as soon as any patch is released (unless it is an essential security fix)?

It is this same mentality you see with users clicking on yes on website pop ups and then they cry when they get a virus.

Maybe, if you rely on your system you wait a few days or weeks prior to updating to ensure that you will not be buggering up your system.

Remember that although Apple test these updates they, in all likely hood will not be testing it on a system running half of the applications that you will be running at home.

djbuddha
Nov 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
Why, if these are working systems, would you update as soon as any patch is released

AMEN .. I thank guinea pigs worldwide as they have suffered so I can assure myself a working computer. Although, I can't believe Apple would release such a broken update.

Sabretooth78
Nov 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
Has anybody else noticed different behavior with sleep regarding the Mid-2012 cMBP since the update?

Mine now wakes from "deep sleep" after the clamshell has been closed for more than an hour or so. Prior to the update, it would wake immediately regardless of the time spent sleeping. This occurs both on battery and AC power.

I don't have a problem with the new behavior, per se, but I would like to verify that this is intended operation.

rheftmann
Nov 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
Probably just a nasty coincidence, but my FaceTime/iSight camera died. Not listed as a USB device. It's a hardware failure, confirmed by Apple Genius. Just after the upgrade, the Air got hot and hyperventilated for about ten minutes. Next time I looked, no camera.
Anybody else have a USB failure?

HarryKNN21
Nov 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
No, I don't suffer any issues mentioned above, I just tried to open up Aperture, Motion 5 and PS CS6 (Trial version) and nothing acted abnormally. Or would you guys mind recommending some apps for me to try and see if I am really free from issues or not.:apple:

My Facetime Camera is fine for now.

chrfr
Nov 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
Probably just a nasty coincidence, but my FaceTime/iSight camera died. Not listed as a USB device. It's a hardware failure, confirmed by Apple Genius. Just after the upgrade, the Air got hot and hyperventilated for about ten minutes. Next time I looked, no camera.
Anybody else have a USB failure?
I had the camera quit working on my 11" Air, but it was way before this update.

chriscl
Nov 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Has anybody else noticed different behavior with sleep regarding the Mid-2012 cMBP since the update?

Mine now wakes from "deep sleep" after the clamshell has been closed for more than an hour or so. Prior to the update, it would wake immediately regardless of the time spent sleeping. This occurs both on battery and AC power.

I don't have a problem with the new behavior, per se, but I would like to verify that this is intended operation.

Mine is exactly the same (same model too).

Previously, it would simply 'sleep', even overnight, and make in a few seconds.

Now since this update, it seems to hibernate after an hour or so, and then takes up to a minute to fully 'resume' once the lid is opened. I'm not sure why this has changed, or if it is possible to revert to the previous behaviour?

moxxey
Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 AM

Now since this update, it seems to hibernate after an hour or so, and then takes up to a minute to fully 'resume' once the lid is opened. I'm not sure why this has changed, or if it is possible to revert to the previous behaviour?

My rMBP has been doing that since I bought it in July (my previous 13" MBP always came out of sleep immediately, however long it was in sleep mode), but the latest update has prolonged it after a deep sleep. Takes up to a minute to be able to log back in.

chriscl
Nov 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Very, very strangely, I've come to my cMBP this afternoon (it has been 'asleep' all day) and on opening the lid, it's jumped back in to life within 2-3 seconds, like it always used to!

I absolutely love these random "puzzles"!

j-a-x
Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
My rMBP seems to work great after the update. In fact, the occasional sluggish GUI graphics performance that I had previously noticed seems to be fixed, unless it's because I am now running everything in "best for retina" mode rather than trying to make my desktop larger (maybe that has something to do with it running smoother). I might switch back to the larger desktop only when I am programming because Xcode loves lots of desktop real estate.

slippytoad
Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
Has anyone with 2 connected Cinema displays noticed that they are switched after applying this update? After rebooting they came back reversed and I had to physically swap the two DisplayPort cables to get it back to how it was.

Syndra
Nov 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
At least not out of the box. Got a new rMBP (with 10.8 pre-installed) and put all available updates on it (including that EFI 2.0 update). Was disappointed by low fps-rate in WoW, found threads about the issue and could cure the problem by resetting SMC - after the patch was already installed.

Not sure though whether it was a one-time reset that was necessary after the update or whether the update did _not_ fix the issue. Will test this today or tomorrow...

Thanks for the heads up/effort.

calisurfboy
Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
I updated two days ago. I have had nothing but problems since the update. I did not know this was a new update. Normally I put them off for a few months until the kinks are worked out.

Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012

- Safari crashes repeatedly. Unable to use reader.
- Mail App Crashes repeatedly. Mailboxes go offline refuse to go back online. Requests login password
- Mac OS X requests keychain login password
- Wifi suddenly disconnects and keeps searching. Attempts to turn off wifi causes system preferences to crash. Only solution is to reboot laptop to be able to connect to wifi
- External hard drive via USB has dropped several times

Overall system is now unstable.

HarryKNN21
Nov 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
Don't know this would be helpful for cMBP users or not, but I found unchecking the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" function in Energy Saver will avoid the machine going into "deep sleep", especially for cMBP running on SSD.

After unchecking this my cMBP wakes from sleep in just seconds of time, no matter it has slept for 8 hours or so.

AirThis
Nov 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mine is exactly the same (same model too).

You can push the time after wich it goes into standby to a higher value. You need to calculate the value expressed in seconds.

sudo pmset -a standbydelay <time in seconds>

Example to only go into standby mode after 10 hours:

sudo pmset -a standbydelay 36000

curmi
Nov 17, 2012, 04:26 AM
Apple has finally pulled the update. What a disaster.

djbuddha
Nov 17, 2012, 05:55 AM
Apple has finally pulled the update. What a disaster.

I just watched it disappear from the App Store on my rMBP.. Either it refreshed .. Or my computer is one reboot from hell lol

Dyno-Mike
Nov 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
I just watched it disappear from the App Store on my rMBP.. Either it refreshed .. Or my computer is one reboot from hell lol

Ive just got my rMBP back from apple today and was wanting to test out this update to see if it reduced the lag as some people are saying it does.

It now looks like im out of luck unless I can get the file from somewhere else?

djbuddha
Nov 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ive just got my rMBP back from apple today and was wanting to test out this update to see if it reduced the lag as some people are saying it does.

It now looks like im out of luck unless I can get the file from somewhere else?

You're not out of luck .. Apple pulled the update. Because it's broken. Hold onto your stable OSX install for now until a new STABLE update comes out. Scroll above this post to calisurfboy's LIST of issues (not to mention a quick google).. You JUST got your Mac back, unless you have an unhealthy obsession with the Genius Bar, I'd avoid the update.. Which even Apple is trying to stop lol. Is it worth more headaches to solve a few frames dropped here or there on an otherwise stable machine? (Sorry I'm going off the deep end, but it utterly baffled my mind that you'd still want to update after the last 7 pages of this thread).

Like I said in another post.. I edit video day in and out with this macbook .. You couldn't pay me to do the update. Especially with the alleged throttling now happening with that update (see link below).

http://gadgetinsiders.com/retina-macbook-pro-efi-update-causes-graphical-glitches-say-some-users/1202680/

Catsman
Nov 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
Is there a way to go back until new update?

iSquirrelu
Nov 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Updated my rMBP, nothing but grief, every time I reboot have to reset SMC to see my USB drives again :mad:

Luckily did not update my partners rMBP, now that would have caused domestic pain.

fatbax
Nov 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
I did the update a few days back i wanted to update my iphoto and imovie so i left the macbook on charge this is a 15" MBP mid2012 and when i returned and hit the mouse nothing was on so i then pressed the power button and it came on with loading bar just as if the battery had died but it was on charge the whole time...

i need help please any suggestions are welcome

iSquirrelu
Nov 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
I did the update a few days back i wanted to update my iphoto and imovie so i left the macbook on charge this is a 15" MBP mid2012 and when i returned and hit the mouse nothing was on so i then pressed the power button and it came on with loading bar just as if the battery had died but it was on charge the whole time...

i need help please any suggestions are welcome

Reset SMC, try it a few times (3) if no joy reset PRAM and then SMC, worked for me

fatbax
Nov 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Reset SMC, try it a few times (3) if no joy reset PRAM and then SMC, worked for me

Thanks buddy will try it out asap.

simonk83
Nov 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Is it just me, or did this just appear back in the App Store?

iSquirrelu
Nov 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
Update ? anyone able to confirm?

iSquirrelu
Nov 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
update appeared on my rMBP as of now, apparently resolves issues with keychain issues......

Original 2.0 installed prior so assume this is new, will update & report

iSquirrelu
Nov 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
So far good news, found my USB drives in boot, looking promising

dyn
Nov 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
Is it just me, or did this just appear back in the App Store?
I think neither because it seems to be the 10.8.2 supplemental 2.0 you are referring to. That is a different update than the one discussed here. Check out the topic for the supplemental update: Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1493338).

dvdhsu
Nov 24, 2012, 02:58 AM
I updated my 15" retina a week or so ago. It's been a horrible update. I've had the keychain problems, as well as severe GPU throttling (I don't have many tasks CPU-bound, so I haven't been able to check that).

If you've downloaded the update and have been thinking of applying it - don't.

Digital Dude
Dec 4, 2012, 09:50 AM
The updated 13" MBP w/Retina sure seems like a viable update to me. With its slimmer profile, laminated less reflective display and weight reduction are fairly significant in my view. Fully configured, or nearly fully configured is about the only way I would/may go. Not sure if the SSD 750 upgrade is worth the $500.

michial
Dec 5, 2012, 10:05 PM
Macbook Pro 2.0 2.0 just appeared as an available download. Not sure if its a fix. But too scared to download seeing all these previous problems the one in November caused.

carter2
Dec 8, 2012, 11:41 AM
I just downloaded the update and just at the end after using up 130 Megabytes of my limited satellite allowance I received an error message and have to start all over. This is not the first time this has happened. I am so tired of Apples slow error prone servers.

kubaw
Dec 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Was anybody succesfull with this re-enabled update?

rscott4563
Dec 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
I downloaded the update for my 15" rMBP last week and I haven't had any problems with throttling, graphics slow downs or anything else like that. I also haven't had to reset my SMC or PRAM since the update.

I've got the 2.6Ghz 16GB rMBP and I'm running Windows 8 on bootcamp and via Parallels 8. I've been playing The Witcher 2, Deus Ex and Skyrim with no issues whatsoever.

chrfr
Dec 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Was anybody succesfull with this re-enabled update?

No issues for me with a mid-2012 Air and mid-2012 15" non-retina MBP. Seems solid.

blablabla222
Dec 24, 2012, 08:41 AM
Update is great for me, very exciting :)