PDA

View Full Version : [All iPads] Do you use a screen protector?

adam044
Nov 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
I don't because unlike my iPhone its not in my pocket and whenever it's not in use the Smart Cover protects the screen.

Thetonyk123
Nov 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
I don't use screen protectors on anything. I tried and used it for 4 months but I hated it

Thierry ba
Nov 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
No.

wordoflife
Nov 8, 2012, 07:20 PM
Nope.
Installing one seems like a nighmare. Plus I have a folio case that protects the screen quite well...

D.T.
Nov 8, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I generally use cases and try to be careful in general, but never use a screen protector. Never experienced one I thought didn't diminish the display and add some weird resistance to the touch surface.

I *might* put one on my little girl's Mini when we buy it.

n A R s
Nov 8, 2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah i used screen protector coz i dont want to see any single scratch on my ipad/iphone..and i preferr to apply the screen protector on my own..yes i can!;)

ffohwx
Nov 8, 2012, 07:27 PM
Nope...not on my iPad or my iPhone.

Ih8reno
Nov 8, 2012, 07:28 PM
No, only on iPhone

Thierry ba
Nov 8, 2012, 07:29 PM
Using screen protector is like using a condom.

Textureboy
Nov 8, 2012, 07:38 PM
When I'm getting the mini I'm not planning to use the screen protector if I have a smart cover :)

steve dave
Nov 8, 2012, 07:38 PM
Absolutely. My first ipad got a few scratches even though it was never used outside of the apple case. Ipad 2 also got scratched from my Smart Cover. The back of my iPhone 5 is already scratched and it has been in a candyshell since it came out of the box. The glass on these freaking things totally sucks.

TaylorMatsu
Nov 8, 2012, 07:43 PM
Nope. On all my old smartphones I would but my last phone before my iPhone 5 was the first time I had no protector on at all. It was in my pocket all the time and subjected to the normal abuses by an 18 year old guy and no noticeable scratches. The same applies for my iPhone 5 and my recently acquired iPad Mini. I realized that I prefer the naked screen as opposed to the screen protector feel and look

adam044
Nov 8, 2012, 08:50 PM

So unnecessary, agree

raccoonboy
Nov 8, 2012, 08:53 PM
I think for Iphone, you can put screen protector on just for safety sake but Ipad, i dont think your finger nail can damage the glass plus if you have good case on like my moshi concerti :), there is no worry.

Breaking Good
Nov 8, 2012, 09:20 PM

Both my iPhone and iPad are fully wrapped.

There is a kiosk in the mall that sells Ghost Armor and also installs it.

I think it is worth it. But that is just me.

felch
Nov 8, 2012, 09:40 PM
I do on my phone and ipad. Diamond still scratches gorilla glass, and scratches screens lower resale value. I consider it insurance.

raccoonboy
Nov 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
I do on my phone and ipad. Diamond still scratches gorilla glass, and scratches screens lower resale value. I consider it insurance.

why would you scratch your phone or tablet with diamonds??????

Bakari45
Nov 8, 2012, 11:33 PM
Nope, but I did order a skin for the back, because i want to add a little character to the mini.

token787
Nov 9, 2012, 04:41 AM
Yes, but I will probably take it off.

JaySoul
Nov 9, 2012, 04:47 AM
Always on iPhone.

Had it on iPad for a couple of months but it just wasn't very good. It just dulled the screen too much, although the anti-glare aspect was useful.

Breitling65
Nov 9, 2012, 05:40 AM
I don't because unlike my iPhone its not in my pocket and whenever it's not in use the Smart Cover protects the screen.

Not for iPad but I am using for iPhone since it is in pocket all the time with keys and change and other things.

colshine
Nov 9, 2012, 05:48 AM
I don't like screen protectors so I don't use them. I try to be careful, use the smart cover and hope for a bit of luck.

Bez59
Nov 9, 2012, 05:59 AM
I use screen protectors on all my devices now as i got a scratch on my first iPhone and it annoyed the hell out of me.

rockyroad55
Nov 9, 2012, 06:52 AM

My friend scratched her entire phone one day with her diamond earrings. The Apple Store gave a free replacement and now she's super careful.

YearlyTangle
Nov 9, 2012, 07:06 AM
No I don't. In my experience putting a screen protector on just decreases sensitivity.

Southernboyj
Nov 9, 2012, 07:43 AM

I disagree. If your screen scratches due to no protector, you can replace the glass. On the other hand though... Well that's 18 years.

Nezben
Nov 9, 2012, 07:48 AM
No screen protector on my iPad 4th gen. Never used one on my iPad 2 either.

big samm
Nov 9, 2012, 11:06 AM
I have 1st and 3rd gen and never even thought of putting a screen protector on either devices. Its up to you.

steve dave
Nov 9, 2012, 11:09 AM

You are correct, it provides protection and peace of mind.

rollzst
Nov 9, 2012, 11:19 AM
**** no

layziegtp
Nov 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
In all my years of owning iPhones, I've never had scratches on the glass. Maybe they were there but completely invisible in normal use, but it's not worth losing the tactile feel of the bare glass.

shady825
Nov 9, 2012, 01:25 PM
Never have used one on any of my iPhone's or iPad's. Never scratched the screen either.
The glass seems pretty resistant. I sometimes throw my phone in my pocket with keys or a lighter or whatever else may be in there.. No scratches whatsoever.

bembol
Nov 9, 2012, 01:32 PM
Only on my Super Phones & iPad Mini since I can put it in my my pockets.

My 32GB iPad 3 LTE doesn't.

BTW, I do use Cases & Screen Protectors to hold it's value because I haven't kept a single Toy for more than 6 months. My iPhone 5 (Black, 64GB) lasted 17 days.

bpd115
Nov 9, 2012, 01:50 PM
My iPhone 5 and my iPad 3 have Glass.T protectors on them. Best of both worlds.

My iPad Mini just has a smart cover right now....

My iPhone 4 was naked and picked up a lot of hairline scratches that were visible under sunlight / overhead light.

rollzst
Nov 9, 2012, 01:56 PM
I sometimes throw my phone in my pocket with keys or a lighter or whatever else may be in there.. No scratches whatsoever.

Tut tut

AJsAWiz
Nov 9, 2012, 02:17 PM
Never have used one on any of my iPhone's or iPad's. Never scratched the screen either.
The glass seems pretty resistant. I sometimes throw my phone in my pocket with keys or a lighter or whatever else may be in there.. No scratches whatsoever.

I've never liked this saying but "never say never" unfortunately struck a cord with me. I've never had a scratch on my iPhones or iPads . . . Until now :(
I don't know how it happened as I'm extremely careful with my mobile devices, but it did. I always use cases and sleeves and back covers , everything except screen protectors that is. Anyway, a small scratch appeared on the glass of my iPad 2:(
So, now I'm looking for a reliable, easy-to-apply, no bubbles or residue (when removed) screen protector for my iPad Mini.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ;)

----------

My friend scratched her entire phone one day with her diamond earrings. The Apple Store gave a free replacement and now she's super careful.

Your friend was lucky. Glad :apple: replaced it :)

----------

Absolutely. My first ipad got a few scratches even though it was never used outside of the apple case. Ipad 2 also got scratched from my Smart Cover. The back of my iPhone 5 is already scratched and it has been in a candyshell since it came out of the box. The glass on these freaking things totally sucks.

Hmmmm, maybe that's how my iPad 2 got scratched. I used a Smart Cover on it at one time but removed it because I didn't like the ridges it left on the screen.

shady825
Nov 9, 2012, 02:30 PM
Tut tut

and what does that mean? I was just saying I've never used one!?

tarasis
Nov 9, 2012, 02:48 PM
Always, particularly as I have youngish kids.

dbdynsty25
Nov 9, 2012, 05:12 PM
I always try screen protectors (in fact one is being delivered today), but ultimately they get too smudged too quick and they become difficult to clean and I always go back to the oleophobic (sp?) glass. Eventually that even wears out, but it's better than a screen protector.

We'll see how today's installation goes later.

hyteckit
Nov 9, 2012, 06:56 PM
No, I don't use protection.

I like to go bareback. Feels more natural and smoother.

I don't like the feel of the plastic.

Rooskibar03
Nov 9, 2012, 08:12 PM
Yes. PowerSupport AntiGlare.

Never leave home without it. Cant see in the sun and I cant stand fingerprints.

nfl46
Nov 9, 2012, 08:14 PM
Nope, only on my iPhone.

felch
Nov 9, 2012, 09:07 PM

Did you know that some wedding and engagement rings have diamonds in them? It may seem hard to believe but some women wear them, sometimes on multiple fingers aand with those fingers they hold the ipad.

Arelunde
Nov 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Personally, I've had screen protectors on all my iPhones through time EXCEPT my iPhone 5. I have a case around it with full back, side and rim of the front coverage but left the screen open. I tried multiple times to get a screen protector on without success - always a bubble, thread, loose corner, etc. Plus, I agree it diminishes the overall tactile experience of the gorilla glass screen. It's soooo smooth, whereas screen protectors are definitely plastic.

For the iPad, I use the smart cover when transporting it, otherwise, it's screen is "naked" for the same reasons as above. So far, my iPad 2 has done very well, even with kids playing games on it. I DO have a back shell to protect the aluminum from scratching and also to make it a bit warmer to hold.

Rodster
Nov 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Yes for me. :)

dazz87
Nov 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
Only if I was carrying my ipad4 in my pocket but chances are im not......:cool:

bmat
Nov 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
For my 1 I did, but not for the subsequent ones.

KatanaAzul
Nov 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Yes. PowerSupport AntiGlare.

Never leave home without it. Cant see in the sun and I cant stand fingerprints.

Same here. It makes outside viewing so much better/easier. Essential if you work outside.

Although I like the PowerSupport screen protectors they're way too expensive. I've had just as good luck with cheap ones off of Amazon or eBay (especially the ones from myGear, they were exceptional and cheap).

FlashHead
Nov 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
Never. With a smart cover absolutely unnecessary.

toasty hoodie
Nov 12, 2012, 07:18 AM
Power Support Anti Glare for me. I work outside so it is a must for me.

Thierry ba
Nov 12, 2012, 07:35 AM
Power Support Anti Glare for me. I work outside so it is a must for me.

Is there cheaper version of this on eBay?

Does it really help outside?

toasty hoodie
Nov 12, 2012, 08:15 AM
Is there cheaper version of this on eBay?

Does it really help outside?

I guarantee if you go on ebay, you'll be disappointed. There is a quality difference between PS, SGP, and the eBay ones.

I have minimal to no rainbow effect, but with an eBay one, you probably will see it much more.

And yes, when I get out of my truck to approach a customer, I can show them their account info with no problems. Plus, no fingerprints is really nice :-)

DreamSTi
Nov 12, 2012, 08:37 AM
Always. SGP on both iPhone and iPad. Cant even tell its there and it helps with the resale value. :apple:

Mikhailov
Nov 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
Absolutely. I get the ZAGG Invisible Shield HD and I barely notice that it's on. I don't want my stuff getting scratched. Annoyed though because I installed one on the mini and didn't notice somehow cat fur got on the adhesive end. Had to throw it out and order a replacement. At least ZAGG does free replacements for life.

glen e
Nov 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
Not for iPad but I am using for iPhone since it is in pocket all the time with keys and change and other things.

exactly....

Johnwebster79
Nov 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
I think screen protector does affect how the screen look. So I don't use it.

Samuriajackon
Nov 12, 2012, 02:01 PM

I used to think that, but if you have the best buy guys put it on they use a special liquid solvent that seals the plastic layer right up against the screen. Mine looks flawless, but they had to play with it for like an hour. Have a store person do it for you.
:D

jedolley
Nov 12, 2012, 02:07 PM

If you are using a clear screen protector (non-wet apply), then usually it's really hard to tell it's on. A anti-glare or anti-fingerprint protector is pretty obvious, but does have it's PROs that some may want.

The wet apply stuff, even the really good ones like wrapsol, phantomskinz, ghost armor, etc. are noticeable regardless of who applies it just due to the nature on the skin, but the better ones are much easier on the eyes and fingers than the bad stuff (i.e. Zagg).

allapon
Nov 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
I choose SGP Ultra Clear for reason.

I tried cheaper Screen protector, It was hard to clean finger print smudge on screen. There was no problem with SGP one, that is all that I ask for!!

Smileyboy
Nov 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
I do it for anti glare on the iPad mini and to protect the screen in my pocket on the iPhone 5