Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattgold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hi.

So, I bought Filmic Pro 2. (I have an Iphone5)
I am pleased with the exposure, focus and white balance lock. But one of the main reasons I bought it was I thought it could actually capture 60 frames per second.
I am not sure now. When I do tests, I set the frame rate at 60fps. This records a movie which is labeled 60/60. I assume this means that it is captured (this means captured, not interpolated into) 60 frames every second, and it plays at 60, which means everything should appear at a "normal" speed.
However, which I export to my camera roll, then onto my computer, then into After Effects, it's only 30fps, and appears only to have been captured at 30fps.

So....how, using Filmic Pro 2, can I capture at a true 60 frames per second, bring it into my computer at 60 frames per second, so I can then play it back at 30 frames per second, thus appearing about double slow motion?

Sorry if I sound snarky, just getting frustrated........

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi.

I am pleased with the exposure, focus and white balance lock. But one of the main reasons I bought it was I thought it could actually capture 60 frames per second.
I am not sure now. When I do tests, I set the frame rate at 60fps. This records a movie which is labeled 60/60. I assume this means that it is captured (this means captured, not interpolated into) 60 frames every second, and it plays at 60, which means everything should appear at a "normal" speed.
However, which I export to my camera roll, then onto my computer, then into After Effects, it's only 30fps, and appears only to have been captured at 30fps.

So....how, using Filmic Pro 2, can I capture at a true 60 frames per second, bring it into my computer at 60 frames per second, so I can then play it back at 30 frames per second, thus appearing about double slow motion?

While I haven't tested the app on the iPhone 5 yet (will do in some days), based on the almost(?) same hardware used in the 4S and the 5, I don't think the iP5 is capable of shooting at 30+ FPS in 1080p mode.

I bet it's the same as the 4S: it can go over 30 fps only in 720p mode - and with halved resolution. Give the 720p mode a try.

BTW, as has been explained in my dedicated articles, to find out the exact FPS the phone is recording at, you may want to use my 60 fps benchmark video at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/082012/sublerSubs/1080p60-counter -optimized.mp4 . Just play it back on a 60 fps screen (like that of OS X), video it on your iPhone and, then, examine the recorded footage, frame-by-frame, whether all numbers are recorded or are there any skips.

I'll report back as soon as I test these fps-changer AppStore apps (Filmic Pro, Better Camcorder and SloPro) on the iP5.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi.

It seems it's, currently, impossible to record at 30+ fps under iOS6 - see my very thorough report at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16292547

You could consider demanding your money back as the Cinegenix, LLC folks in no way mention this problem in the app description and, consequently, they deceive would-be customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.