Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desert Requiem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I partitioned my hard drive to install Windows a while back. I stopped using it and I would like to free up the space. I went to Disk Utility > Partition > selected Bootcamp and then clicked minus.

Since doing that whenever I boot the computer it gives me the "no bootable device" error. I have to hold Option and the select the hard drive (there is a Mac harddrive and a Recovery drive). I've gone to the Disk Utility and Verified and Repaired the disk, but the problem has resolved.

Also, I want to resize the Mac partition to include all of the hard drive space, but when I go to Disk Utility > Partition > and then increase the partition size and hit Apply I get an error.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thank you.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You should have used the Bootcamp Manager to remove that Windows partition, and that is why you are having this trouble.

Backup your data to an external drive with Time Machine, then boot to either your install DVD or a Lion/Mountain Lion bootable USB key. Then start Disk Utility and click on the drive brand name (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) and format the drive as one partition in Mac OS Extended. Now reinstall the OS. Once it reboots after the OS install use Migration Assist to import your data back from the Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.