PDA

View Full Version : [mobile OSs] iOS can never change. That's why it's boring.

Blackberryroid
Nov 9, 2012, 04:02 AM
When was the last time you were standing and clapping really hard while watching the introduction of the next iOS? Mine was iOS 4.

iOS is boring. Why is it boring? Because the UI looks the same. An average complainer would demand a major UI redesign.

But why does it look the same? Because there is no way to change it. The only way I'd change iOS's home screen would be replacing it to look like Windows Phone. But Apple would never do that.

Think about it. If you we're to change the home screen, how will you do it? If you think of anything that isn't a grid of icons, it would be hard to use.

Apple's UI is already the perfect UI. And sadly, this might be the only UI we'll be seeing in a few hundred years.

bigjobby
Nov 9, 2012, 04:07 AM
Just what we need, yet another 'iOS is boring' thread.

X5-599
Nov 9, 2012, 04:09 AM
@Blackberryroid

So what you're saying is, iOS is boring because its perfect UI won't be changed in the future :confused:

Blackberryroid
Nov 9, 2012, 04:13 AM
Just what we need, yet another 'iOS is boring' thread.

Why, thank you. I'm happy to be giving you what you need. /s

@Blackberryroid

So what you're saying is, iOS is boring because its perfect UI won't be changed in the future :confused:

Yeah. There is no simpler way to change it's UI. Think of it. Designing a UI isn't easy, you have to think of the user.

Beeplance
Nov 9, 2012, 04:29 AM
I've already reached a state of acceptance about this. We need to move on from this. Besides, there's already a similar thread a few threads down, why start a new one?

MonkeySee....
Nov 9, 2012, 04:32 AM
If windows phone is anything like Windows 8 on PC I'd stay clear of it.

iOS may be boring for some but I like it and its simplicity is great.

sensorian
Nov 9, 2012, 04:38 AM
I don't think Apple engineers consider users Attention Deficit Disorders and constant need for brand new shiny things every day as part of their product roadmapping.

Gradual evolution and stability win out every day for me versus radical redesign and gimmick.

I almost feel that Apple go too far too quickly sometimes.

JaySoul
Nov 9, 2012, 04:49 AM
This is nonsense.

Yes, the simplicity is genius and timeless, but that doesn't mean it won't stop evolving. It's just that Apple have become cautious, and they rarely let users customise anything.

They just need to add a couple of customisable options, and everyone would be happy/shut up.

slimbek
Nov 9, 2012, 05:17 AM
I don't expect a total redesign. I can't imagine Apple alienating so many 100's of millions of users for the sake of UI change.

What they can do is incremental improvements and UI evolution.
Remove the white gloss on icons, simplify gradients, tone down the excessive skeumorph etc., add in some more live-tiles (weather/clock), and then they can get their act together and bring in some software innovation:
- Apps talking to each other
- Apps talking to Siri
- Enhanced NFC
- Update iLife and iWork apps

There are things they can do - but I agree. iOS is the post-pc/mobile OS for Apple. It's foundations have been made, now it is in polish mode.

----------

It would also help if the tech media stopped making out like the next iOS will change the planet.

iOS updates are simply service packs. Nobody gets that excited over a Windows service pack.

Beeplance
Nov 9, 2012, 05:41 AM
[/COLOR]It would also help if the tech media stopped making out like the next iOS will change the planet.

iOS updates are simply service packs. Nobody gets that excited over a Windows service pack.

This. Many people tend to make a big fuss of it. At the end of the day, there's always people who are unhappy with things like this. Like MonkeySee... , I'm fine with the simplicity of iOS as well, it's good the way it is. Largely thanks to Ex-SVP of iOS Scott Forstall of course, a man who people cannot cease blaming for every minor thing in the operating system.

hyteckit
Nov 9, 2012, 12:06 PM
No wonder why there are so many divorces.

You found the perfect woman.

Then 2 years later, you find her boring because she hasn't change much from being the woman you fell in love with.

r2shyyou
Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 PM

Then 2 years later, you find her boring because she hasn't change much from being the woman you fell in love with.

Perfect analogy, hyteckit.

Blackberryroid: if you consider the iOS UI already "perfect," then in what way is it sad that it'll remain essentially the same? Anything other than perfection would be worse, right?

Personally, I don't think it's perfect but I like it, for the most part, and am excited to see what the future brings, though I'm jealous that I won't be around for the "few hundred years" that you'll be.

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
iOS >>>>>>> Windows.

spinedoc77
Nov 9, 2012, 12:31 PM
Voted for Windows, I like that they are doing innovative things. I like the family account thing, I know Android does it better but iOS doesn't even have anything like it at all. Also the live tiles are very nice for quick information at a glance, which is what a cell phone is all about to me at least. iOS was cool 2 or 3 years ago, but they have moved from becoming the agile young athlete to being a stodgy old man with a smelly cigar.

BFizzzle
Nov 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
Voted for Windows, I like that they are doing innovative things. I like the family account thing, I know Android does it better but iOS doesn't even have anything like it at all. Also the live tiles are very nice for quick information at a glance, which is what a cell phone is all about to me at least. iOS was cool 2 or 3 years ago, but they have moved from becoming the agile young athlete to being a stodgy old man with a smelly cigar.

same here.. I love my iphone but i really like how clean/simple.. yet customizable windows is. I got to play with some at the microsoft store finally and i was surprised how smooth the UI was..on higher end phones of course..but that is on any OS. iOS..Android etc.

teknikal90
Nov 9, 2012, 02:47 PM

No wonder there are so many divorces.

You compare your woman to inanimate mass produced objects that were designed to be obsolete in less than a few years.

F123D
Nov 9, 2012, 02:57 PM
iOS can change without losing the wall of icons. Just look at whats being done with jailbroken iPhones. Notification center is being used to its full potential. The swipe left search page is being used to it's potential. There are ways to freshen up iOS without doing a complete overhaul.

r2shyyou
Nov 9, 2012, 02:58 PM
No wonder there are so many divorces.

You compare your woman to inanimate mass produced objects that were designed to be obsolete in less than a few years.

What's with this all this talk (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=31239336) that 2 year old Apple products are "obsolete"?

beyondthepale35
Nov 9, 2012, 03:13 PM
Definitely prefer Windows, think its way more intuitive and just as easy to use as iOS once you spend a little time with it. Ive never liked the way iOS works, takes me a lot longer to do simple things on. If it werent for the app divide I think WP8 blows away iOS, especially on the integration front.

Carouser
Nov 9, 2012, 03:24 PM
They just need to add a couple of customisable options, and everyone would be happy/shut up.

No they wouldn't be happy, and they certainly wouldn't shut up. Are you new here? If Apple hits the goal X, people complain that Apple didn't do X+1.

There are ways to freshen up iOS without doing a complete overhaul.

So? Unless it's a complete overhaul the endless complaints of 'it's boring' and 'it's not innovative, waah' will continue.

spinedoc77
Nov 9, 2012, 03:31 PM
No they wouldn't be happy, and they certainly wouldn't shut up. Are you new here? If Apple hits the goal X, people complain that Apple didn't do X+1.

So? Unless it's a complete overhaul the endless complaints of 'it's boring' and 'it's not innovative, waah' will continue.

Meh, you seem to complain about people complaining a lot, I don't think that will change lol. :rolleyes:

Rodster
Nov 9, 2012, 03:41 PM
I agree with the OP. I remember coming from OS Classic to OSX. That was a fun ride and was just so fresh. And 10+ years later it basically looks the same.

The problem Apple is facing is that they have made a reputation with fresh new ideas and it's customers always expect Apple to pull something cool and wow us. I do think iOS needs a OS refresh or redesign because the competition is doing some cool stuff with their mobile OS that Apple hasn't implemented in their OS design.

It's like that SG III commercial where the guy standing in line says, "and this year they're putting the headphone jack on the bottom". That commercial is hilarious.

Carouser
Nov 9, 2012, 03:47 PM
Meh, you seem to complain about people complaining a lot, I don't think that will change lol. :rolleyes:

It was an observation about how it's impossible to satisfy moving goalposts, and that one is deceived if they think any particular or even general changes to iOS would reduce the amount of complaining that happens when Apple releases software or hardware updates. Some people have standards or desires that Apple can meet, but the bulk of complaints about iOS being boring which I have read, on the other hand, strike me as rather weak and ultimately unsatisfiable. Do you have anything useful to add to this point? I thought I had expressed it succinctly and wouldn't have to elaborate, but hope springs eternal, as they say. At least you got that awesome zinger in there, you do have that to be proud of - I'll even upvote it for you. Very nicely done.

spinedoc77
Nov 9, 2012, 03:52 PM
It was an observation about how it's impossible to satisfy moving goalposts, and that one is deceived if they think any particular or even general changes to iOS would reduce the amount of complaining that happens when Apple releases software or hardware updates. Some people have standards or desires that Apple can meet, but the bulk of complaints about iOS being boring which I have read, on the other hand, strike me as rather weak and ultimately unsatisfiable. Do you have anything useful to add to this point? I thought I had expressed it succinctly and wouldn't have to elaborate, but hope springs eternal, as they say. At least you got that awesome zinger in there, you do have that to be proud of - I'll even upvote it for you. Very nicely done.

For all your flowery speech it was still a simple complaint lol, but don't take it personally I'm just having some fun with you. I think there are a LOT of valid complaints about iOS which are not simply based out of boredom. Multi window is one for example, I find it incredibly useful at times, even though it seems like such a small thing there is a reason "windows" caught on 20 or more years ago and is still running strong.

As for the zinger, my apologies, I just find it humorous when people rant and complain about others ranting and complaining. I've got a weird sense of humor.

Carouser
Nov 9, 2012, 03:57 PM
For all your flowery speech it was still a simple complaint lol, but don't take it personally I'm just having some fun with you. I think there are a LOT of valid complaints about iOS which are not simply based out of boredom. Multi window is one for example, I find it incredibly useful at times, even though it seems like such a small thing there is a reason "windows" caught on 20 or more years ago and is still running strong.

As for the zinger, my apologies, I just find it humorous when people rant and complain about others ranting and complaining. I've got a weird sense of humor.

I accept your apology for your superficial post.

spinedoc77
Nov 9, 2012, 04:06 PM
I accept your apology for your superficial post.

I accept your superficial post for my fake apology.

dojoman
Nov 9, 2012, 04:10 PM
Yes it's boring because it's simple to use. Why fix something when it's not broken? Sure Apple could go Android route with animated background picture and all kinds of widgets and what not but that's not the way. Complicated home screen can get boring overtime too.

map1978
Nov 9, 2012, 04:20 PM
iOS can change without losing the wall of icons. Just look at whats being done with jailbroken iPhones. Notification center is being used to its full potential. The swipe left search page is being used to it's potential. There are ways to freshen up iOS without doing a complete overhaul.

I dont this the operating system needs to be changed much, but give it a little freedom.

For example, I STILL can't place icons anywhere on the homescreen, but they gotta stay in order. What if I want just a left side of icons only? Iconoclasm JB style I'm referring too.

iOS just needs a few tweaks...we all should appreciate it's security and ease of use.

Lets see what Ivey brings to the table for the next big iOS update

Dave.UK
Nov 9, 2012, 06:23 PM
Yes it's boring because it's simple to use. Why fix something when it's not broken? Sure Apple could go Android route with animated background picture and all kinds of widgets and what not but that's not the way. Complicated home screen can get boring overtime too.

Complicated? Dropping widgets onto the home screen? No wonder ios didnt get copy and paste for some time!

Seriously, your implying that iphone users are stupid and need things left easy for them.

Dr McKay
Nov 9, 2012, 06:51 PM
There are simple things Apple could take from Android still, let the user change the default apps, let apps speak to each other. When I hit "share" I want to see every app that can do that, not just the built in ones.

Technarchy
Nov 9, 2012, 07:12 PM
I like Windows Phone and iOS for very different reasons.

I choose to make iOS my mobile OS of choice because I think Windows Phone still needs work.

Renzatic
Nov 9, 2012, 07:19 PM
The basics of iOS are fine as is. What I'd like to see though is a better multitasking scheme. Right now, it's so much smoother to switch between apps on Windows and Android devices. iOS? I can either hit the home button to go to the springboard then launch the app from there, drag three fingers up then select my app, double click the home button, or drag four fingers left and right.

It's slooooowwwww. Just jumping from Safari to the mail app feels like a small chore in comparison to the other OSes.

Rogifan
Nov 9, 2012, 07:27 PM
Send an email to Jony Ive with your suggestions on how to improve iOS. :)

dalbir4444
Nov 9, 2012, 07:28 PM
If windows phone is anything like Windows 8 on PC I'd stay clear of it.

iOS may be boring for some but I like it and its simplicity is great.

What's wrong with Windows 8. It's better than Windows 7 in ever way. The whole controversy revolves around the Metro Start menu, which IMO is actually better. And if you don't like it, just install Start8.

If you disagree, please post some actual concerns that you have with Windows 8.

cynics
Nov 9, 2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah it's perfect. :rolleyes: I can't even move an app to a different spot on the screen that isn't next. Forget about using a different icon for the apps.

Oh wait that's way too confusing.

Rogifan
Nov 9, 2012, 07:29 PM
The basics of iOS are fine as is. What I'd like to see though is a better multitasking scheme. Right now, it's so much smoother to switch between apps on Windows and Android devices. iOS? I can either hit the home button to go to the springboard then launch the app from there, drag three fingers up then select my app, double click the home button, or drag four fingers left and right.

It's slooooowwwww. Just jumping from Safari to the mail app feels like a small chore in comparison to the other OSes.

Double tapping on the home button to switch between apps is a chore?

dalbir4444
Nov 9, 2012, 07:30 PM
When was the last time you were standing and clapping really hard while watching the introduction of the next iOS? Mine was iOS 4.

iOS is boring. Why is it boring? Because the UI looks the same. An average complainer would say demand a major UI redesign.

But why does it look the same? Because there is no way to change it. The only way I'd change iOS's home screen would be replacing it to look like Windows Phone. But Apple would never do that.

Think about it. If you we're to change the home screen, how will you do it? If you think of anything that isn't a grid of icons, it would be hard to use.

Apple's UI is already the perfect UI. And sadly, this might be the only UI we'll be seeing in a few hundred years.

Nothing is perfect. Does this really need to be said? Are you telling me that you can't think of anything to change in the UI that would make it better for you personally.

----------

I thought car comparisons were ridiculous but you just took it to another level.

Renzatic
Nov 9, 2012, 07:52 PM

Considering how slow it is, yeah.

Well, chore might not be the best word for it. I'd say it's more of a drag.

sineplex
Nov 9, 2012, 07:57 PM
who cares about the UI it's just an app launcher anyway. :rolleyes:
i'm so bored of the buttons and icons oh no....

its equivilant wanting to change your tv because silver bezel is out of fashion.
it's unnecessary. the movies are the same and so are the apps.

dalbir4444
Nov 9, 2012, 08:01 PM

its equivilant wanting to change your tv because silver bezel is out of fashion.

That's the thing. On iOS, the home screen is just an app launcher, but on Windows Phone and Android, it can be much more.

smallnshort247
Nov 9, 2012, 08:41 PM
iOS feels a bit stale at times but I like how simple and quick it is for me to access the things I want. I also like the nice app selection to choose from.

cynics
Nov 9, 2012, 09:09 PM

That's why it's stale.

Don't you think this is dumb?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/10/emysaryt.jpg

It's always 73 and sunny! Yay!

MonkeySee....
Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 AM
What's wrong with Windows 8. It's better than Windows 7 in ever way. The whole controversy revolves around the Metro Start menu, which IMO is actually better. And if you don't like it, just install Start8.

If you disagree, please post some actual concerns that you have with Windows 8.

This isn't a windows 8 thread.

spinedoc77
Nov 10, 2012, 04:29 AM
That's why it's stale.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/10/emysaryt.jpg)

Lol, this is a perfect example.

viewfly
Nov 10, 2012, 04:43 AM
Diamonds never change, or go out of style.
Diamonds are forever.

Lindsford
Nov 10, 2012, 04:57 AM
Diamonds never change, or go out of style.
Diamonds are forever.

So true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTIu_wwxkQI

ReanimationN
Nov 10, 2012, 05:31 AM

iOS is boring. Why is it boring? Because the UI looks the same. An average complainer would demand a major UI redesign.

The UI, perfect? What about still not having toggles for wifi, aeroplane mode etc. in the notification centre? The inventiveness of the jailbreak community, as others have said, show that there's plenty that can be done with iOS.

I agree with your point though, Apple have backed themselves into a corner with iOS. If they add the ability to change the appearance of an icon, based on the information within the app, they'll be accused of, and shouted down for, copying Windows Phone. If they add widgets, they'll be accused of copying Android. So where do they go from here? That's what will be interesting to find out. Apple have shown that they're not averse to copying, as seen with iOS 5's notification centre. Maybe, thanks to their patent sharing agreement with MS, we'll be seeing live icons on iOS in the future.

zhenya
Nov 10, 2012, 06:00 AM
Considering how slow it is, yeah.

Well, chore might not be the best word for it. I'd say it's more of a drag.

What device?

On both my iPhone 4 and ipad 4 app switching is extremely quick unless the app has dropped out of ram - uncommon on the newer devices.

I agree that I'd like to see a bit more power brought to the OS though. Better multitasking like you say (ie some way to have two apps share a screen) and I agree that the icons need t be able to live update.

Ice-Cube
Nov 10, 2012, 06:13 AM
Designing a different UI is easy, but making it genuinely better and simpler to use is the difficult part.

cynics
Nov 10, 2012, 06:17 AM
What device?

On both my iPhone 4 and ipad 4 app switching is extremely quick unless the app has dropped out of ram - uncommon on the newer devices.

I agree that I'd like to see a bit more power brought to the OS though. Better multitasking like you say (ie some way to have two apps share a screen) and I agree that the icons need t be able to live update.

Probably means the task of double clicking a physical button vs a tap of a dedicated software button. While its not really time consuming by comparison it is...

Software wise its very quick, or at least it is on my 4S....

----------

The UI, perfect? What about still not having toggles for wifi, aeroplane mode etc. in the notification centre? The inventiveness of the jailbreak community, as others have said, show that there's plenty that can be done with iOS.

I agree with your point though, Apple have backed themselves into a corner with iOS. If they add the ability to change the appearance of an icon, based on the information within the app, they'll be accused of, and shouted down for, copying Windows Phone. If they add widgets, they'll be accused of copying Android. So where do they go from here? That's what will be interesting to find out. Apple have shown that they're not averse to copying, as seen with iOS 5's notification centre. Maybe, thanks to their patent sharing agreement with MS, we'll be seeing live icons on iOS in the future.

Let em copy. I don't care if it improves my user experience....

I'd be curious if Apple could come up with something even better. Just because you and I or anyone else can't think of a better way doesn't mean one doesn't exist. I'd love to be blown away with innovation on any device but especially my iPhone....

Renzatic
Nov 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
What device?

I'm not talking about performance. My iPhone 4 and iPad 3 switch between apps without any lag or stuttering whatsoever. I'm talking about the process itself, which is too slow and deliberate for my tastes. If you're popping from one app to another on rare occasions, what we've got now is fine. But if you're ever intending on doing actual, honest to god multitasking, jumping back and forth between multiple apps gets really tedious after awhile.

Basically, I want something that works as quickly and elegantly as expose on iOS.

cube
Nov 10, 2012, 06:32 AM
What's with this all this talk (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=31239336) that 2 year old Apple products are "obsolete"?

Apple obsoleted the iPad 1 in 2 years.

----------

Boredom is not a valid criteria to change OS.

dalbir4444
Nov 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
This isn't a windows 8 thread.

You compared Windows Phone to Windows 8 in an attempt to bring them down, so I simply corrected you.

Technarchy
Nov 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
That's the thing. On iOS, the home screen is just an app launcher, but on Windows Phone and Android, it can be much more.

How much time does one spend staring at their home screen? On my android phones and Windows 8 PC, 95% of the interaction still takes place in the application itself.

However, Apple is woefully behind when it comes to glance and go information. The lock screen is basically wasted because it only gives you the time, and the home screen could use dynamic icons just like the calendar app which changes every day and reflects the correct information.

dalbir4444
Nov 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
How much time does one spend staring at their home screen? On my android phones and Windows 8 PC, 95% of the interaction still takes place in the application itself.

However, Apple is woefully behind when it comes to glance and go information. The lock screen is basically wasted because it only gives you the time, and the home screen could use dynamic icons just like the calendar app which changes every day and reflects the correct information.

You second paragraph explains what iOS is missing. It is much more convenient for the relevant information to be displayed on the home screen rather than going to each app individually.

IFRIT
Nov 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
There is no way iOS is the perfect ui, it's way too simplified and doesn't show hardly any information unless a app is entered and the notifications are crap. That is why i voted WP because even though i find the WP garish i think it technically better at giving the user the information he wants faster and not tailored that 5 year olds and old people to pick up easily like iOS is.

rrl
Nov 10, 2012, 09:15 AM

Compared to Android, it's actually ridiculous. It comes off as an Apple afterthought. That's what happens when your OS is too simple to begin with.

sotorious
Nov 10, 2012, 09:24 AM
I bet you any in ios 7 there will be a revamped, its one of the last things customers are bitching about now.

Technarchy
Nov 10, 2012, 09:38 AM
You second paragraph explains what iOS is missing. It is much more convenient for the relevant information to be displayed on the home screen rather than going to each app individually.

True to some extent, but possibly superfluous because the home screen offers limited interaction and an abbreviated experience; much of that same "relevant information" is also provided with icon badges and notification center. It makes sense to have dynamic icons in some areas, but not others.

The problem for me is the lock screen, where you can't see badges, and you can't see notification center. It's just dead space really, which is silly at this point in mobile OS development.

Windows Phone gets it right, and better than everyone else at this point.

http://www.microsoft.com/global/en-us/news/publishingimages/ImageGallery/Images/Products/Windows/Phone/WindowsPhone8LockScreen_Page.jpg

http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Windows-Phone-8-Lockscreen-1.jpg

cynics
Nov 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
Compared to Android, it's actually ridiculous. It comes off as an Apple afterthought. That's what happens when your OS is too simple to begin with.

A lot of iOS seems like an afterthought too me. They are cramming features into an old OS and it feels like it. The settings menu is a horrible mess IMO. Notifications block the top of the screen up and just feel forced. Getting rid of notifications one at a time is impossible. The red reminder circles cant be dismissed without actually performing the task. Some settings for apps are in the app, some are in the settings menu. Location services are redundant and can be access two different ways. Integration for apps is still seriously lacking, there is no way to send a photo to Dropbox or Drive without opening the app.

TO ME it feels like someone went through Android and removed/fixed annoyances.

jsw
Nov 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
I agree - and that's a point which few would have thought possible a few years ago.

onthecouchagain
Nov 10, 2012, 09:50 AM
A lot of iOS seems like an afterthought too me. They are cramming features into an old OS and it feels like it. The settings menu is a horrible mess IMO. Notifications block the top of the screen up and just feel forced. Getting rid of notifications one at a time is impossible. The red reminder circles cant be dismissed without actually performing the task. Some settings for apps are in the app, some are in the settings menu. Location services are redundant and can be access two different ways. Integration for apps is still seriously lacking, there is no way to send a photo to Dropbox or Drive without opening the app.

TO ME it feels like someone went through Android and removed/fixed annoyances.

This 110%.

The competition has figured out how to do all those things far more efficiently. There's no clearer time than this moment, with 4.2 and Win8, that shows how outdated iOS is.

viewfly
Nov 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
True to some extent, but possibly superfluous because the home screen offers limited interaction and an abbreviated experience; much of that same "relevant information" is also provided with icon badges and notification center. It makes sense to have dynamic icons in some areas, but not others.

The problem for me is the lock screen, where you can't see badges, and you can't see notification center. It's just dead space really, which is silly at this point in mobile OS development.

Image (http://www.microsoft.com/global/en-us/news/publishingimages/ImageGallery/Images/Products/Windows/Phone/WindowsPhone8LockScreen_Page.jpg)

Image (http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Windows-Phone-8-Lockscreen-1.jpg)

In notifications menu turn on View in Locked Screen.

beyondthepale35
Nov 10, 2012, 10:59 AM
This 110%.

The competition has figured out how to do all those things far more efficiently. There's no clearer time than this moment, with 4.2 and Win8, that shows how outdated iOS is.

Agreed. People always tout iOS as "just working" and simple, but with the way technology is going simple often is not nearly as efficient. Its not like it takes a rocket scientist to use WP8 or Android, just a little bit of using each and it is just so much easier to do simple tasks. That and the ability for apps to speak to each other are huge advantages iOS simply is behind on.

VulchR
Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
With all due respect to the OP, I am bored with boring threads about bored people being bored with boring iOS. It's boring.

spinedoc77
Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
Agreed. People always tout iOS as "just working" and simple, but with the way technology is going simple often is not nearly as efficient. Its not like it takes a rocket scientist to use WP8 or Android, just a little bit of using each and it is just so much easier to do simple tasks. That and the ability for apps to speak to each other are huge advantages iOS simply is behind on.

Don't forget the stories of "iOS is so simple my baby can use it", lol. I never understood where we crossed over into giving our computers more value because babies could use them, have we really become so dumb as a society?

onthecouchagain
Nov 10, 2012, 11:07 AM

Yup. iOS is so simple it's ironically less usable. Just look at how many steps it takes to turn on Private browsing (and how many steps it takes to switch back too).

beyondthepale35
Nov 10, 2012, 11:17 AM
Don't forget the stories of "iOS is so simple my baby can use it", lol. I never understood where we crossed over into giving our computers more value because babies could use them, have we really become so dumb as a society?

Yeah, I mean Im pretty sure last time I checked Im a grown man, why do I want something my toddler could use? The lack of critical thinking skills in todays society is really disconcerting...I actually want to use my brain haha.

onthecouchagain
Nov 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Didn't Jobs essentially say the end user is an idiot? That Apple has to make the decisions for them?

He's not necessarily wrong... :T

zhenya
Nov 10, 2012, 12:22 PM

Making the complex simple is one of the biggest challenges anyone who works with UI or ergonomics faces. Apple is far from perfect, but their skill at this is one of the primary reasons for their success.

sineplex
Nov 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
That's why it's stale.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/10/emysaryt.jpg)

oh well maybe just the weather app. just don't open pandora's box because i don't want it to have evey tile moving like on windows phone. but really it doesn't bother me it's just a button. i push and get the weather.... how much do you need? if you're outside you know the weather.

onthecouchagain
Nov 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
oh well maybe just the weather app. just don't open pandora's box because i don't want it to have evey tile moving like on windows phone. but really it doesn't bother me it's just a button. i push and get the weather.... how much do you need? if you're outside you know the weather.

This can so easily be solved to make both parties happy. Apple can have a toggle switch for "live icons" or something. Heck, they can even standardize it so that apps have to feature a "live icon" toggle in their apps where applicable.

It isn't "pandora's box" to give people choice. ;)

zhenya
Nov 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
I'm not talking about performance. My iPhone 4 and iPad 3 switch between apps without any lag or stuttering whatsoever. I'm talking about the process itself, which is too slow and deliberate for my tastes. If you're popping from one app to another on rare occasions, what we've got now is fine. But if you're ever intending on doing actual, honest to god multitasking, jumping back and forth between multiple apps gets really tedious after awhile.

Basically, I want something that works as quickly and elegantly as expose on iOS.

Yeah, if you are switching just between 2-3 apps, the gestures are fine. I agree that an exposť gesture would be great - I remember when something like that was offered for jailbroken phones several years ago. Perhaps remap the four finger pinch to invoke exposť. I guess the question would be, what apps would it display? The current multitasking method means that there is little difference between open and closed apps, so they'd have to devise some way of only displaying the relevant ones.

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah, if you are switching just between 2-3 apps, the gestures are fine. I agree that an exposť gesture would be great - I remember when something like that was offered for jailbroken phones several years ago. Perhaps remap the four finger pinch to invoke exposť. I guess the question would be, what apps would it display? The current multitasking method means that there is little difference between open and closed apps, so they'd have to devise some way of only displaying the relevant ones.

I don't think the task switching in iOS is that bad actually, I'm happy with it and prefer it over Androids task switcher. But the inexcusable missing feature in iOS is multi window support. It's less important on the iphone since it's such a small screen, but on the iphone 5 it makes a tiny bit more sense. On the ipad it makes a ton of sense and iOS is lagging behind its competitors, Windows has it, and at least the Note has it as well and I'll bet Google is looking into it as a feature.

Nabooly
Nov 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
iOS is starting to become somewhat similar to Verizon's UI that they took forever to get rid of. Anyone remember the red bars? :eek:

cynics
Nov 11, 2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think the task switching in iOS is that bad actually, I'm happy with it and prefer it over Androids task switcher. But the inexcusable missing feature in iOS is multi window support. It's less important on the iphone since it's such a small screen, but on the iphone 5 it makes a tiny bit more sense. On the ipad it makes a ton of sense and iOS is lagging behind its competitors, Windows has it, and at least the Note has it as well and I'll bet Google is looking into it as a feature.

Why do you find a double tap of a physically button then a generic icon better then a single button press displaying a preview of where you left off in that app?

Android task switch is far superior in every way IMO.

spinedoc77
Nov 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Why do you find a double tap of a physically button then a generic icon better then a single button press displaying a preview of where you left off in that app?

Android task switch is far superior in every way IMO.

I just don't see the difference in action. A double tap takes about as long as single long tap, and I kind of feel I have more control with a double tap. Maybe I'm just used to it and in reality the are both pretty equal. What I don't love about Android is having to flip up and down, my eyes just see the running programs a bit easier in iOS. Once again just semantics as they both seem to be valid methods, but I'm just used to 3 years of iOS that's all.

I'm assuming Android has multiple ways to scroll through open programs? There are so many variants and fragmentation that we may be speaking about different methods, that's one of the weakness of Android. If you can post screen shots maybe that would help the thought process, as I'm thinking of the last Android phone I've used which is the Note 2 I just bought a couple of days ago.