Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just wondering if there are any SuperDrive alternatives compatible with the Mac Mini?

I have an Internal PC DVDRW which I used in my Hackintosh which should work if I put it in an external enclosure but don't want anything that big.

Would love something around the same size as the SuperDrive but without the £65 price tag :D

Any suggestions welcome!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
You can go....

with a bare drive and USB 3.0 and power cable combo? If yes, multiple options can come based in your budget. Too many to list them, but Pioneer, LiteOn and HP build the better drives for Mac, using the above combo. Can be in the $ 50.00 USD bracket. But if you prefer an all-in-one drive, Plextor, LaCie, Pioneer, LiteOn, HP and Iomega all make good drives. But you have to figure out what do you have available in the UK.
:):apple:

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
That's why I only suggested looking at that list to find models that are available near you. ;)

Yes. Any USB 2.0 drive should be fine.

B

Ah yes sorry I misunderstood :)

with a bare drive and USB 3.0 and power cable combo? If yes, multiple options can come based in your budget. Too many to list them, but Pioneer, LiteOn and HP build the better drives for Mac, using the above combo. Can be in the $ 50.00 USD bracket. But if you prefer an all-in-one drive, Plextor, LaCie, Pioneer, LiteOn, HP and Iomega all make good drives. But you have to figure out what do you have available in the UK.
:):apple:

Thanks for the suggestions will have a look around and post back for opinions before ordering :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.