Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
So I am thinking about getting a base model mac mini. The only things I'll be using it for are as a HTPC, the occasional web browsing, and occasional photoshop/illustrator work (this is all personal and not too big and over the top projects).

Can the base model handle this fine? (I do plan on upgrading the the RAM eventually).

Molson1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Also, I will be doing some video ripping (ripping my DVD and BR collection). This will all be done overnight, so speed isn't the BIGGEST concern. Just want to make sure it will be ok.

Also, I won't be gaming on this machine at all.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Also, I will be doing some video ripping (ripping my DVD and BR collection). This will all be done overnight, so speed isn't the BIGGEST concern. Just want to make sure it will be ok.

Also, I won't be gaming on this machine at all.

You haven't been paying attention to computer specs lately have you? Basically what you need is a 2010 Mac mini. But fortunetely we live in the future and thus the current Mac Mini is awesome.

Computers at the moment are making a big step up to stupid fast once again.

nikolajlr

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
Denmark
Seriously, it will fly.

I would put some extra RAM in it from the beginning. 8 GB should be plenty for what you describe.

Last edited:

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've just gone to the 2012 base model from a 2009 MBP - it is incredibly fast in comparison. I'm mostly web stuff/streaming/bit of photo editing/web development/spreadsheet work.

I've ordered 16GB of RAM from Crucial which should arrive today, which might be overkill but it was a cheapo upgrade. Its very nippy on the 4GB that comes included.

Last edited:

USB123

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
So I am thinking about getting a base model mac mini. The only things I'll be using it for are as a HTPC, the occasional web browsing, and occasional photoshop/illustrator work (this is all personal and not too big and over the top projects).

Can the base model handle this fine? (I do plan on upgrading the the RAM eventually).

I'm the same as you, needs-wise. I can't wait to get my base mini! I'll either get 8GB or 16GB of RAM, not too sure yet. I'll be moving house within 2 weeks or so and the mini will have to take a back seat for the time being (won't be getting it till mid-December I'd say). I'd love to get the ACD but its waaaaaay out of my price range!
Best of luck!

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011

Have it and yes it will do what you need it to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.